10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    They also claimed they were going to take Kyiv in 3 days. This is entirely for internal propaganda purposes. And possible to suck up to pootin, to tell him what he wants to hear. its not going to happen, not when Poland is probably just itching to be unleashed.
    Poland, Finland, the Baltics won't mind, the rest of the former Warsaw pact have some score to settle as well...I'm not saying all are equally eager to go to war but at least two out these mentioned are ready, willing and able to trash the russians if they look funny at their countries.

Coming to the rest of Europe is a monumentally bad idea for russsia...so it's only a matter of WHEN not IF given their brain trusts brilliant ideas lately.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    A Russian general promoted recently said today in a bold claim that Russia intends on conquering all of Europe and that Ukraine is just "the start"

This week, Putin promoted Lieutenant General Andrey Mordvichev to the rank of Colonel-General. The military leader had already been serving in the role of commanding the Central Military District and Russian Central Grouping of Forces in Ukraine.

In a recent interview with Moscow's state-run Russia-1, a clip of which circulated widely on social media Saturday, Mordvichev said he believes Putin's war will last quite a long time and expand in the future.

"I think there's still plenty of time to spend. It is pointless to talk about a specified period. If we are talking about Eastern Europe, which we will have to, of course then it will be longer," the general said.

"Ukraine is only a stepping stone?" the interviewer then asked.

"Yes, absolutely. It is only the beginning," Mordvichev responded, who went on to say that the war "will not stop here."
    Haha, if I were him I'd be concerned about Russia being taken by Europe.

Some sobering words from General Mark Milley,
    "The Ukrainians are still plugging away with steady progress."

Gen Milley said it was too early to say whether the counter-offensive had failed, but said Ukraine was "progressing at a very steady pace through the Russian front lines".

"There's still a reasonable amount of time, probably about 30 to 45 days' worth of fighting weather left, so the Ukrainians aren't done.

But on a more positive side, apparently the Ukrainians have sieze a couple oil platforms that had been Russian control for nearly a decade.

And, though I can't find a source on it yet, it sounds like they have breached some major defences in the south and are steadily moving in heavy armour and widening the gap.

edit : Sounds like Lil'Kimmy is off to meet Uncle Putin. This can only mean good things for the world.
    Last edited by alach; 2023-09-11 at 10:29 AM.

Ukraine liberated kherson during that period last year. The south has a different climate and soil than the north so doesn't get as cold or muddy.

Milley's statement sounds like "finish this in 45 days or we are done" Why this counteroffensive has to end in 45 days? can't the Ukrainians prepare for another offensive next year with better equipment, airforce etc? or Russians will be unstoppable by then?

The US probably wants to find an excuse to withdraw from this war.
    Last edited by Vampiregenesis; 2023-09-11 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    Milley's statement sounds like "finish this in 45 days or we are done" Why this counteroffensive has to end in 45 days? can't the Ukrainians prepare for another offensive next year with better equipment, airforce etc? or Russians will be unstoppable by then?

I think you're reading stuff into it that isn't there. He's not saying "do it in 45 days or we're out." He's saying, quite simply, "there's only about 45 days before the weather will be too shitty for much fighting to happen."

Because the weather will change and make an offense harder, can't you think or something?

Ukraine liberated kherson during that period last year. The south has a different climate and soil than the north so doesn't get as cold or muddy.
    Pretty sure the fighting didn't let up last year, just slowed down. Don't think it will make much difference until January at the least. The Ukrainians sound like the have some momentum at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I think you're reading stuff into it that isn't there. He's not saying "do it in 45 days or we're out." He's saying, quite simply, "there's only about 45 days before the weather will be too shitty for much fighting to happen."
    Yeah, it's more that the headline-writer is twisting his words.

Milley is more stressing that there are up to 45 days left of the fighting and we cannot say how the fighting will end this season, except that Ukraine has partial success (and he isn't suggesting that nothing will happen after the 45 days).
    The headline says "Ukraine offensive could have only 30 days left - US Army chief".

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    The headline says "Ukraine offensive could have only 30 days left - US Army chief".
    Which isn't inaccurate, to be fair, but I guess absent the context of his statement it does kind of sound like what Vampiregenesis said.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2023-09-11 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by diller View Post
    Because the weather will change and make an offense harder, can't you think or something?
    he wouldn't make so defeatist statement in the middle of war, it's pretty clear that he means more than that

10+ Year Old Account
    he wouldn't make so defeatist statement in the middle of war, it's pretty clear that he means more than that
    No, he doesn't. Quit scaremongering.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty clear that time and time again you show here a weak understanding of reality.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

So some terrifying news not brought up here yet:

Kim Jong Un evidently visited Putin recently, as in he arrived in Russia to negotiate arms dealings. North Korea is now actively aiding Russia of no consequence, which in retrospect, is fucked up because my suspicions of that long ago were rebuked.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Kim Jong Un evidently visited Putin recently, as in he arrived in Russia to negotiate arms dealings. North Korea is now actively aiding Russia of no consequence, which in retrospect, is fucked up because my suspicions of that long ago were rebuked.
    What's so terrifying? You truly think a shithole nation like North Korea will be able to supply Russia with anything substantial?

This might terrify you too: It's going to snow soon. Go hide in your bunker.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    What's so terrifying? You truly think a shithole nation like North Korea will be able to supply Russia with anything substantial?

This might terrify you too: It's going to snow soon. Go hide in your bunker.
    They gave Putin some artillery shells, but the Russians didn't have the right vehicles or cannons to shoot them.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...20to%20do%20so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    With their budget, Russia can afford to (and I'm rounding up here) have about 400 actually operational nuclear warheads, and that is *snickers* assuming that none *snorts* of the budgeted money is embez... hahahahahahahaha

You get the point I hope.
    Yes but that chart is showing averages of what would be during non-war situations.

Once you're in a war, shit changes, and the budgets aren't going to be the same. If they chose to make a push, then the budget and the '# they can afford if they pay the average' doesn't mean much if they pull resources from something else to cover the cost. That's kind of the problem of trying to use statistics to account for outlier situations, like times of war.

And north Koreans artillery shells are unreliable even by russian standards. Remember when NK shelled a SK island a few years back, killing 4 people? Reportedly those shells had up to a 40% failure rate.

10+ Year Old Account

Not all that terrifying. Just utterly humiliating for Russia.

Whatever NK can deliver to Russia, will not make much of a difference. NK is a shithole of a country that doesn't have anything substantial to give. Even cheap labor is something Russia can supply itself. All of their stuff is old WW2 or Cold War era crap, and not a lot of it, and likely in worse shape than Russia's shit. And that's assuming that whatever they could possibly give is even compatible with what Russia has.

Seriously, NK is not a major contender despite what video games might have taught you. They can't help Russia, no matter how much they tried.
    Last edited by Santti; 2023-09-11 at 10:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

And north Koreans artillery shells are unreliable even by russian standards. Remember when NK shelled a SK island a few years back, killing 4 people? Reportedly those shells had up to a 40% failure rate.
    Not surprising.