Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    And north Koreans artillery shells are unreliable even by russian standards. Remember when NK shelled a SK island a few years back, killing 4 people? Reportedly those shells had up to a 40% failure rate.
    I wouldn't be surprised they still fire shells from the Korean war and that they are the same shells Russia is buying.

Some TERRIFYING news! Vladimir Putin woke up and spilled his coffee.

Yuppie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    So some terrifying news not brought up here yet:

Kim Jong Un evidently visited Putin recently, as in he arrived in Russia to negotiate arms dealings. North Korea is now actively aiding Russia of no consequence, which in retrospect, is fucked up because my suspicions of that long ago were rebuked.
    You really need to spoiler tag these horrors, people might glance at them and scream aloud in a public place, you know, since it's so terrifying.
    Last edited by draynay; 2023-09-12 at 05:49 PM.
    /s

Sad Horse, I mean Lavrov, is acting proud that India is taking them to the cleaners. I guess he has no chose but to put a long face, I mean a brave face on it.

India has russia over a barrel when it comes to oil. russia needs India to buy the oil just to keep the industry running. India has other options for oil. Which means India dictates the terms. Not only are they getting it at a discount but they insist they pay for it in rupees. russia doesn't want rupees but they have no other choice. So they get rupees.

Problem is that due to India's currency restrictions, they can't really get the rupees they own out of India. The rupee isn't exactly desirable so they can't convert large amounts of it without loosing a bundle on the deal. The only thing they can do with the rupees are spend them in India.

Next problem is that India is observing the sanctions as they don't want to run into problems with the West and India doesn't have a lot that russia needs. Even if they do, Indian companies want to be paid in USD or Euros, not rupees.

So India offers russia the chance to invest money it desperately needs for its economy but is trapped in India, inside India. Where it will just earn more rupees that can't get out of India anyway.

Basically russia is shipping oil to India for free as any proceeds can't leave the Indian economy and actually boost it.

And Lavrov is proud of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad Horse, I mean Lavrov, is acting proud that India is taking them to the cleaners. I guess he has no chose but to put a long face, I mean a brave face on it.

India has russia over a barrel when it comes to oil. russia needs India to buy the oil just to keep the industry running. India has other options for oil. Which means India dictates the terms. Not only are they getting it at a discount but they insist they pay for it in rupees. russia doesn't want rupees but they have no other choice. So they get rupees.

Problem is that due to India's currency restrictions, they can't really get the rupees they own out of India. The rupee isn't exactly desirable so they can't convert large amounts of it without loosing a bundle on the deal. The only thing they can do with the rupees are spend them in India.

Next problem is that India is observing the sanctions as they don't want to run into problems with the West and India doesn't have a lot that russia needs. Even if they do, Indian companies want to be paid in USD or Euros, not rupees.

So India offers russia the chance to invest money it desperately needs for its economy but is trapped in India, inside India. Where it will just earn more rupees that can't get out of India anyway.

Basically russia is shipping oil to India for free as any proceeds can't leave the Indian economy and actually boost it.

And Lavrov is proud of this.
    I can only further wonder how this factors into China's plans, vis-a-vis Russia basically unilaterally funding one of their regional geopolitical rivals in the form of India.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    And north Koreans artillery shells are unreliable even by russian standards. Remember when NK shelled a SK island a few years back, killing 4 people? Reportedly those shells had up to a 40% failure rate.
    Though that would still be an annoyance for Ukraine, having to deal with a bunch of unexploded ordinance being scattered around.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yes but that chart is showing averages of what would be during non-war situations.

Once you're in a war, shit changes, and the budgets aren't going to be the same. If they chose to make a push, then the budget and the '# they can afford if they pay the average' doesn't mean much if they pull resources from something else to cover the cost. That's kind of the problem of trying to use statistics to account for outlier situations, like times of war.
    Yeah Russia, the bastion of high technology, will just pull functional nukes out of its ass without money. Yes absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Though that would still be an annoyance for Ukraine, having to deal with a bunch of unexploded ordinance being scattered around.
    We still have evacuations to depose of unexploded WWII shells found on construction sites in Germany. This shit will never go away.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    So some terrifying news not brought up here yet:

Kim Jong Un evidently visited Putin recently, as in he arrived in Russia to negotiate arms dealings. North Korea is now actively aiding Russia of no consequence, which in retrospect, is fucked up because my suspicions of that long ago were rebuked.
    TERRIFYING... I tell you... it's horrible.

@YUPPIE

NK's most recent military parade had them using modified farm equipment dragging outdated tech. Meanwhile Ukraine is being supplied with tech from the world's most advance militaries. Haven't even addressed the logistical and manpower difficulties Russia is having/will have to even get the stuff to Ukraine.

Russia is doing the equivalent of asking a homeless man to give you a loan to buy a house. The only scary part is that in Russia's case the homeless man actually has leverage over them because they're so desperate. A world superpower groveling to NK for whatever left over cold war scraps Russia themselves likely sold to them to fight A1-Abrams tanks? Ooooh so scared.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    @YUPPIE

NK's most recent military parade had them using modified farm equipment dragging outdated tech. Meanwhile Ukraine is being supplied with tech from the world's most advance militaries. Haven't even addressed the logistical and manpower difficulties Russia is having/will have to even get the stuff to Ukraine.

Russia is doing the equivalent of asking a homeless man to give you a loan to buy a house. The only scary part is that in Russia's case the homeless man actually has leverage over them because they're so desperate. A world superpower groveling to NK for whatever left over cold war scraps Russia themselves likely sold to them to fight A1-Abrams tanks? Ooooh so scared.
    At this point I think it's probably a bit of a stretch to call Russia a world superpower.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    At this point I think it's probably a bit of a stretch to call Russia a world superpower.
    They aren't and haven't been since the Soviet Union. There is currently only one "Superpower" nation in the world right now.

Hell, even categorizing them as a "Great Power" nation seems like and overestimate at this time...
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2023-09-12 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    Dude that's a little unfair.

North Korea has a house. Ok, its a shack with dirt floors and a leaky roof. At least they have a separate outhouse and a functional well! They just have to remember to watch out for poisonous spiders in the former and the latter might have lead leaching into it but its progress right?

No fucking clue if this is anything given the weird but only source I found so far:

https://www.newsweek.com/nato-poland...russia-1825900

Masked assailants in Belarusian uniforms used slingshots and threw stones at NATO member Poland's border guards, Polish authorities have said, as tensions between the two neighboring countries show few signs of abating.

A group of seven people donning Belarusian uniforms "with masked faces" threw stones at Polish patrols around the north-eastern Polish border town of Dubicze Cerkiewne on Saturday, the country's Border Guard said on Sunday.

The masked group "had slingshots and flashlights with which they blinded patrols" at around 9 p.m., staying on the Belarusian side of the border, the Border Guard added. A "special vehicle" arrived at the location, and no one was injured, the Border Guard said. Newsweek has reached out to Minsk's Foreign Ministry for comment via email.
    Finnish papers reported about Newsweek article...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    No fucking clue if this is anything given the weird but only source I found so far:

https://www.newsweek.com/nato-poland...russia-1825900

Finnish papers reported about Newsweek article...
    Art. 5!!!

Seriously though, wth? This is kinda hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Art. 5!!!

Seriously though, wth? This is kinda hilarious.
    The technological pinnacle of both countries. Polish soldiers with far more modern looking NATO standardized gear. And belarussian vatniks armed with rocks and slings.

Although yes, pro-russian bots posting in comment sections of finnish papers do try to test "NATO integrity" by calling Article 5 in question.

But if few guys going to troll at the border counts as an invasion supported by the goverment...I have few ideas in mind how to plunge the world into chaos.

It's like they think Art. 5 is something NATO is chomping at the bit to invoke because we're that bloodthirsty.

You know, instead of the defense pact it actually is. A few vatnika chucking rocks at the border hardly qualifies to have NATO descend upon them, just have the border guards have safeties off next time and that problem goes away on its own.

NATO will never invoke Article 5. Hypothetically, if a Russian set foot on NATO soil and shot a civilian in the face and screamed "for mother Russia" they would still go as far as to deem that as a rogue action than something the Kremlin instigated.

So I would never hope for or get excited over NATO intervention. They just exist and that's it.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Not all that terrifying. Just utterly humiliating for Russia.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Seriously, NK is not a major contender despite what video games might have taught you. They can't help Russia, no matter how much they tried.
    I am not concerned with NK helping Russia (as you say), but Russia helping NK is more problematic - as Kim Fatty the Third might be crazy enough to attack.