1. #35021
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,845
    Welp, pro-Russina dude once again wins election in Slovakia.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  2. #35022
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Except NATO is already in Kosovo, *slightly* different situation.
    did you miss this? As it seems you did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Unlike Armenia/Azerbaijan which is geographically inaccessible for NATO, Serbia is literally landlocked by NATO countries. Unless the Russians invented a teleportation device, the Serbs would be taking one helluva gambit if they tried to invade a place currently hosting NATO peacekeepers.

    I don't think the Serbs are retarded enough to try.

    But this situation also highlights the fact that allowing the Serbs to re-arm was a mistake.
    So yeah, I'm quite aware of that fact, and that Serbia should think real hard before going in a la russia, as they would have to go up against NATO without russia.

  3. #35023
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Aelia Capitolina
    Posts
    59,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Are we unable to comment on the situation in Russia due to "fog of economics" then?
    Dude's still trying to recover the face he lost with all the doomposting about how Ukraine was going to capitulate any day now.

    We've gone from fuggoff war to fuggoff economics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

  4. #35024
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Dude's still trying to recover the face he lost with all the doomposting about how Ukraine was going to capitulate any day now.

    We've gone from fuggoff war to fuggoff economics.
    And he comes back from a year of exile after being dismantled utterly with his propaganda talking points...appearing as a reddit neckbeard in a body of a peacock preening his feathers of disinformation with a "GOTCHA" attitude, preaching his superiority with ever-so-vague reference to "other posters" while, as always, ignoring any counter-evidence to his "claims". He's the king of the Kremlin propaganda regurgitation hill now, although the turnip payout won't be very high with that level of engagement...

  5. #35025
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Aelia Capitolina
    Posts
    59,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    And he comes back from a year of exile after being dismantled utterly with his propaganda talking points...appearing as a reddit neckbeard in a body of a peacock preening his feathers of disinformation with a "GOTCHA" attitude, preaching his superiority with ever-so-vague reference to "other posters" while, as always, ignoring any counter-evidence to his "claims". He's the king of the Kremlin propaganda regurgitation hill now, although the turnip payout won't be very high with that level of engagement...
    I don't think it's necessarily intentionally malicious, per se. To quote Dan Olson:

    "One of the most insidious elements of a confidence scam is that the victims who invested the most are often the most passionate defenders. Because shame is a powerful force in the human psyche, and they can't bear the shame of admitting they were tricked."

    In this case, the confidence scam is the image of Russia as a global power. You see exactly the same shit with Chomsky and the other social media tankies trying to fish what remains of their credibility out of the storm drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

  6. #35026
    Over 9000! zealo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Unlike Armenia/Azerbaijan which is geographically inaccessible for NATO, Serbia is literally landlocked by NATO countries. Unless the Russians invented a teleportation device, the Serbs would be taking one helluva gambit if they tried to invade a place currently hosting NATO peacekeepers.

    I don't think the Serbs are retarded enough to try.

    But this situation also highlights the fact that allowing the Serbs to re-arm was a mistake.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Foggynomics.
    It's all moot anyway, Serbia started pulling forces back again after the US reminded them what would follow if they invade Kosovo, they're not going to do shit at this time.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...arning-from-us

  7. #35027
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Welp, pro-Russina dude once again wins election in Slovakia.
    That dude is legitimately concerning. The Hungarian-Slovak pro-Ruzzian alliance is really not something anyone needs at this time.

  8. #35028
    While this guy's party has more votes than any other party, does he have a road to being PM or can the other parties band together and have someone else as PM?

  9. #35029
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    While this guy's party has more votes than any other party, does he have a road to being PM or can the other parties band together and have someone else as PM?
    Apparently they need to form a majority coalition with the other parties to make a functional goverment, which makes it hard for both sides (had any other party won).

  10. #35030
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Apparently they need to form a majority coalition with the other parties to make a functional goverment, which makes it hard for both sides (had any other party won).
    Gotta love working democracy eh?

    No, seriously I'm quite glad that on our side of the pond more often than not multiple parties are required to get to a majority since that prevents extremes (usually)...*pointed look at the Persfinnit and sellout RKP*.

  11. #35031
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Unlike Armenia/Azerbaijan which is geographically inaccessible for NATO,
    It's more complicated, which is relevant for this thread.

    Azerbaijan is very friendly with Turkey (that they share a small border with), and Turkey is a NATO member.
    Armenia (that has a longer border with Turkey - but a genocide is making the relations less friendly) was instead more Russian-friendly, but is now trying to get friendly with NATO as well/instead; including having US troops there last month - https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/...ia-ties-a82425

    The reason Armenia tried to shift is that Russia cannot protect them anymore, due to Russia being occupied with occupying parts of Ukraine and also the lack of strength shown there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Serbia is literally landlocked by NATO countries. Unless the Russians invented a teleportation device, the Serbs would be taking one helluva gambit if they tried to invade a place currently hosting NATO peacekeepers.
    Based on the part above it's an even worse gambit.

  12. #35032
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Gotta love working democracy eh?

    No, seriously I'm quite glad that on our side of the pond more often than not multiple parties are required to get to a majority since that prevents extremes (usually)...*pointed look at the Persfinnit and sellout RKP*.
    Hey now, just because persut keep lying through their teeth surely doesn't make them disqualified from government!
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  13. #35033
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Apparently they need to form a majority coalition with the other parties to make a functional goverment, which makes it hard for both sides (had any other party won).
    Yes, SMER only got about 24%.

    So, they will have to attempt to form a coalition goverment. I was curious whether the largest party usually forms the government and there's a messy story (without Germany's grand coalitions).

    In 2020 OĽaNO (and anti-corruption party running against SMER) got the most vote with 25% and formed a coalition government.
    In 2016 SMER got the most votes with 28% and formed a coalition government.
    In 2012 SMER got 44% and the majority of seats in parliament (and obviously formed the government).
    In 2010 SMER got the most votes with 35%, but instead an anti-SMER government was formed with five parties.
    In 2006 SMER got the most votes with with 29% and formed the government.

    So, only did the largest party not form the goverment and that government fell in half-time (in 2018 the leader of SMER fell in half-time due to a journalist killing).

  14. #35034
    Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    It's more complicated, which is relevant for this thread.

    Azerbaijan is very friendly with Turkey (that they share a small border with), and Turkey is a NATO member.
    Armenia (that has a longer border with Turkey - but a genocide is making the relations less friendly) was instead more Russian-friendly, but is now trying to get friendly with NATO as well/instead; including having US troops there last month - https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/...ia-ties-a82425
    The ties are even quite a bit stronger even than this. Armenia is a CSTO alliance member along with Russia and several other former Soviet states, which is very similar to the NATO alliance pact where an attack on one is an attack on all. Armenia made a call under CSTO for protection and Russia declined, which is why Azerbaijan was able to easily take Nagorno-Karabakh. It's not as easy as just switching sides when a country is in an military alliance with countries already at war.

    And for Azerbaijan and Turkey, they are essentially sister states like Russia and Belarus or the US and Canada. Turkey helped Azerbaijan extensively in the last Nagorno-Karabakh war, pushing the line to assist militarily as far as they could without directly dropping bombs themselves or having troops on the ground. So that was another major hurdle to the West getting involved.

  15. #35035
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    So your "gotcha" moment is a price comparison of some restaurants vs actual research provided by economics specialists that sign their results with their names? Like, seriously? Why do we even have economics professors if all you have to do it just check the menu, eh? You still doing this thing of "ha ha y'all dumb, my Telegram sources are the real deal and everything else are memes"?
    Because it's oh so hard to actually check the prices in Russia? Why do you have to go to 3rd party sources who are not from Russia? What, that Russian over WhatsApp call is gonna lie about the prices?

    Here are the prices in Vkusno i Tochka 9 months ago. You can go and compare against the current ones (obviously combo offers are a thing). Inflation is visible and varies between products, but it is not what the claims are.
    https://imgur.com/a/QHPWaHa

    Why the professor is saying 60%? Because he either is lying (what, you think he couldn't?) or is an idiot or just making a large miscalculation. Take your pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  16. #35036
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Why the professor is saying 60%? Because he either is lying (what, you think he couldn't?) or is an idiot or just making a large miscalculation. Take your pick.
    Yes, yes. Friends in Russia, Telegram sources and memes. All so much more credible, like all your previous claim. Why do other nations even keep analysts around, if it's all so easy?

    Not sure if you noticed, but no one treats you seriously here.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2023-10-01 at 06:08 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  17. #35037
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Yes, yes. Friends in Russia, Telegram sources and memes. All so much more credible, like all your previous claim. Why do other nations even keep analysts around, if it's all so easy?

    Not sure if you noticed, but no one treats you seriously here.
    Oh give him a break. His dad totally works at Nintendo.

  18. #35038
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Here's just one for you - an economics professor (you know, someone who actually knows a thing or two about economies), pegs it at 60%. There are others who don't have it so high, but way above russia's claims.

    If it was anywhere near as low as russia claims there would have been no need for such a massive interest rates hike recently, from 8.5 to 12% in ne hit and then another large rise a month later to 13%. You only do that if you are fighting really serious inflation, not the false numbers russia put out.
    I can quote you high level generals "that... know a thing or two about wars" that were saying that Russia is run out of missiles, Russians ate fighting with shovels etc

    I am not saying that inflation isn't high in RU, but hey it's high everywhere. But i think they'll manage, i mean they're worlds richest nation (in resouces) after all and what? something like 80% of world's population still doing business with them?
    Last edited by Ulmita; 2023-10-01 at 07:36 PM.

  19. #35039
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    I am not saying that inflation isn't high in RU, but hey it's high everywhere. But i think they'll manage, i mean they're worlds richest nation (in resouces) after all and what? something like 80% of world's population still doing business with them?
    80%? Ok.

    And regarding resources, few days ago Gazprom published new data. Gas sale dropped by 25% compared to last year.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  20. #35040
    What is it? Just 49 countries that are sanctioning Russia? And the big ones like China, India, Indonesia, Brazil etc ate not on that list, so it wouldn't surprise me.

    Gas and oil is just some of the things they sell and they'll continue to sell. As we've seen, sanctions haven't stopped them.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Irrelevant with the conversation but I came across a poll in Twitter that over 500k people voted. It was about who started the war in Ukraine. The results are surprising to say the list. It's like 50-50 between Russia and NATO (and imagine that Russians have no access to Twitter)

    https://twitter.com/stats_feed/statu...C0B-C3wYQ&s=19

    This shows a major public opinion shift. Are we getting tired of this conflict?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •