1. #36081
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    The fact there are now food lines in Russia, for certain foods like eggs, is very reminiscent of USSR bread lines.
    I'll caution at jumping to conclusions here: We basically had this in the US for a bit when our eggs went to like $20 a dozen or whatever and stores were limiting how many people could purchase at once.

    That being said I'm very intrigued to see if anyone has the time and knowhow to check the prices of pizza joints in random corners of Russia, I like Makabreska's idea.

  2. #36082
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'll caution at jumping to conclusions here: We basically had this in the US for a bit when our eggs went to like $20 a dozen or whatever and stores were limiting how many people could purchase at once.
    The difference is that was price-fixing by the egg companies, not a government mandate due to extreme supply shortages.

  3. #36083
    Scarab Lord MCMLXXXII's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Delta swamp of the west
    Posts
    4,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'll caution at jumping to conclusions here: We basically had this in the US for a bit when our eggs went to like $20 a dozen or whatever and stores were limiting how many people could purchase at once.

    That being said I'm very intrigued to see if anyone has the time and knowhow to check the prices of pizza joints in random corners of Russia, I like Makabreska's idea.
    We had such an expert in here recently. Avoided this thread like the plague for over a year and then came back boasting he paid the same for a pizza (or was it a burger) in Kalinigrad as before the "special operation". Might have something to do with fog and war.

  4. #36084
    There was a video a couple weeks back of a local Russian from St. Petersburg (?) going on a tour of a supermarket showing the price of groceries.
    The shelves were stocked and the prices were lower than what I have seen in parts of Europe. Rather infuriating honestly.
    I pointed to the video in case anyone was interested, but folks were distracted by the lastest troll or something again.

    Here it is



    He has a very strong accent, hard for me to understand sometimes.
    Last edited by alach; 2023-12-19 at 06:24 AM. Reason: adding the video

  5. #36085
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Yeah...about that, that's not very likely to work very well. Nuclear weapons are still rather precise weapons you can't just pry one open and place the warhead into something else.
    That's how they work in the West.

    Nobody knows what kind of craptastic Soviet jank Russians have in their silos.

  6. #36086
    Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    There was a video a couple weeks back of a local Russian from St. Petersburg (?) going on a tour of a supermarket showing the price of groceries.
    The shelves were stocked and the prices were lower than what I have seen in parts of Europe. Rather infuriating honestly.
    I pointed to the video in case anyone was interested, but folks were distracted by the lastest troll or something again.

    Here it is



    He has a very strong accent, hard for me to understand sometimes.
    The thing is, St. Petersburg is the sort of city Russia is propping up by intent. Its in their ethnic minority colonies of Asia and Siberia where the brunt of the economic downfall is felt in earnest. Large cities like Moscow and Russian ethnic majority regional settler capitals are artifically kept in better shape because those are the people that "matter" for Kremlin's politics.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  7. #36087
    I once thought well of Leningrad. (St Petersburg)

  8. #36088
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    That's how they work in the West.

    Nobody knows what kind of craptastic Soviet jank Russians have in their silos.
    Fair enough, but I still don't think these things are just interchangeable. (Also the nuclear components are expensive and fetch a tidy sum on the black market.)

  9. #36089
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    That's how they work in the West.

    Nobody knows what kind of craptastic Soviet jank Russians have in their silos.
    The thing is the West does know. Until a couple of years ago both Russia and USA had constant inspections of each other's arsenals. The consensus was they all were working.

  10. #36090
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The thing is the West does know. Until a couple of years ago both Russia and USA had constant inspections of each other's arsenals. The consensus was they all were working.
    Assuming the inspectors were incorruptible. Also, unless the nukes are expected to go off there are ways to "fake it". Don't get me wrong, I'm not generally on the side of "lol none of them are even functional", but I trust those inspections about as much as I trust random Youtube/Twitter talking heads.

  11. #36091
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Assuming the inspectors were incorruptible. Also, unless the nukes are expected to go off there are ways to "fake it". Don't get me wrong, I'm not generally on the side of "lol none of them are even functional", but I trust those inspections about as much as I trust random Youtube/Twitter talking heads.
    I'm on the side of:"let's not find out".

    But, as you say, there's ways to fake it, and, given that this is russia we're talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened here. The US arsenal on the other hand...

  12. #36092
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I'm on the side of:"let's not find out".

    But, as you say, there's ways to fake it, and, given that this is russia we're talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened here. The US arsenal on the other hand...
    Of course, I'm no more eager to chance it than most sane people. I'm just saying, not that it matters much, that I would not be in the least bit surprised if their tally of actual, functioning nukes is far less than reported. As has been discussed, however, it doesn't take much.

  13. #36093
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The thing is the West does know. Until a couple of years ago both Russia and USA had constant inspections of each other's arsenals. The consensus was they all were working.
    Hm... I tried to check, and as far as I could understand they only checked the strategic weapons as part of START; so the status of tactical weapons is less clear.

  14. #36094
    Blah blah grain of salt, blah blah both sides use propaganda yadda yadda yadda...

    ‘Mouse fever’ breaks out among Russian military in Kupyansk sector, says HUR

    The viral disease, also known as streptococcus, is a zoonotic disease transmitted to humans by rodents either through direct contact, inhalation, urine, feces, or mucous secretions.

    Symptoms include severe headache, high fever, rash, low blood pressure, bleeding eyes, nausea, vomiting, and severe lower back pain. In its early stages, the disease resembles the common flu.

    The disease affects the kidneys, causing the infected person to experience severe pain in the lower back and difficulty urinating.

    The Russian command ignores complaints of fever, treating them as an excuse to avoid combat.

  15. #36095
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look behind you.
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Blah blah grain of salt, blah blah both sides use propaganda yadda yadda yadda...

    ‘Mouse fever’ breaks out among Russian military in Kupyansk sector, says HUR
    This is one of those things were I'd entirely believe it's just a mix of other conditions being experienced by multiple soldiers all being rolled into one, but it's -so- incredibly specific and wouldn't be surprising given the state of some of the barracks we've seen.

  16. #36096
    Having seen videos from russian soldiers of the mouse infestations they are living with its easy to see that happening. And you never see them living with cats and dogs, unlike the Ukrainians.

    And their officers also being indifferent also tracks given a recent UK Intel report on amputees being sent straight back into combat. Meat waves don't really need to be able to fight much anyway.

  17. #36097
    I am as critical of the Russians as one can get, but dropping partisanship just for a moment, there's is a worthwhile conversation to be had about the normalization of brutality and inhumanity and its effects on a society.

    The Russians are, in the end, still people. But Russian culture has normalized, in practice and increasingly in theory brutality in a way that we haven't really experienced in a while.

    It's one thing to otherize an enemy in order to treat them horribly (how the Russians treat Ukrainians, Israelis the Palestinians, Palestinian the Israelis etc etc etc), it's entirely distinct to in a way do it to yourself.

    The hazing culture, the violence, the abuse of servicemen by their superiors and their peers, the disregard for their own lives, the beatings, the living conditions, families just accepting the treatment of their loved ones, the abandoned bodies, the abandoned injured, the abandoned prisoners of war.

    It's really some third world child soldier army level shit, just from an industrialized nation with tanks, jets, ballistic missiles and nukes.

    We in the west aren't immune to this, look at the normalization of school and mass shootings in the US. As much as we might think ourselves above this, if the conditions are right, we can spiral into this.

    I find this truly disconcerting.

    I also think this type of "culture" has to be opposed, by all means necessary. We cannot hand them any kind of victory that they could look at and say...this justifies what we are doing, to others and ourselves.

    Russia has to be defeated and contained, both for our well being and their own in a way.

  18. #36098
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    This is one of those things were I'd entirely believe it's just a mix of other conditions being experienced by multiple soldiers all being rolled into one, but it's -so- incredibly specific and wouldn't be surprising given the state of some of the barracks we've seen.
    Don't think of barracks. Think of trenches.

  19. #36099
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Blah blah grain of salt, blah blah both sides use propaganda yadda yadda yadda...

    ‘Mouse fever’ breaks out among Russian military in Kupyansk sector, says HUR
    "Mouse fever" sounds so innocent for how serious disease it really is. That shit will kill you unless you get proper medical treatment for it.

  20. #36100
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look behind you.
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Don't think of barracks. Think of trenches.
    Fair enough. Carry on.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    "Mouse fever" sounds so innocent for how serious disease it really is. That shit will kill you unless you get proper medical treatment for it.
    Like the dipshits who decided to play in the dirt in the Red Forest, I -want- to feel sorry for them because that sounds fucking harrowing and terrible, and it's likely the result of negligent COs over their own direct faults.

    But also, like... Fuck around / find out and all that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •