10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    6. I remember reading Putin's "Manifesto" at the start of the invasion. I believed at the time that that drivel was written mostly as a propaganda tool. Now I'm 100% convinced, Putin is high on his own supply and absolutely believes in every single thing he wrote in his "Doctor of alternate history and revanchism" thesis.
    Probably, from what I hear he lost his marbles around 2020-2021 due to COVID lockdown, him being a fan of Dugin and, likely, Fomenko don't help at all.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...010508611.html
    Trump says he would encourage Russia to ‘do whatever the hell they want’ to any NATO country that doesn’t pay enough
    Former President Donald Trump on Saturday said he would encourage Russia to do “whatever the hell they want” to any NATO member country that doesn’t meet spending guidelines on defense in a stunning admission he would not abide by the collective-defense clause at the heart of the alliance if reelected.

“NATO was busted until I came along,” Trump said at a rally in Conway, South Carolina. “I said, ‘Everybody’s gonna pay.’ They said, ‘Well, if we don’t pay, are you still going to protect us?’ I said, ‘Absolutely not.’ They couldn’t believe the answer.”

Trump said “one of the presidents of a big country” at one point asked him whether the US would still defend the country if they were invaded by Russia even if they “don’t pay.”

“No, I would not protect you,” Trump recalled telling that president. “In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay. You got to pay your bills.”

The White House later Saturday called Trump’s remarks “appalling and unhinged” and touted President Joe Biden’s efforts to bolster the alliance.

“President Biden has restored our alliances and made us stronger in the world because he knows every commander in chief’s first responsibility is to keep the American people safe and hold true to the values that unite us. … Encouraging invasions of our closest allies by murderous regimes is appalling and unhinged – and it endangers American national security, global stability, and our economy at home,” White House spokesperson Andrew Bates said in a statement.

At the core of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization is the promise of collective defense — that an attack on one member nation is an attack on all the nations in the alliance. Trump has long complained about the amount other countries in NATO spend on defense compared with the United States and has repeatedly threatened to withdraw the US from NATO. But his comments Saturday are his most direct indication he does not intend to defend NATO allies from Russian attack if he is reelected.

Trump has for years inaccurately described how NATO funding works. NATO has a target that each member country spends a minimum of 2% of gross domestic product on defense, and most countries are not meeting that target. But the figure is a guideline and not a binding contract, nor does it create “bills”; member countries haven’t been failing to pay their share of NATO’s common budget to run the organization.

As president, Trump privately threatened multiple times to withdraw the United States from NATO, according to The New York Times. Trump has described NATO as “obsolete” and has aligned himself with Russian President Vladimir Putin, who wants to weaken the alliance. Trump has long praised Putin and went as far as to side with the Russian leader over the US intelligence community over Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election.
    Well this is beyond fucked up. While it does annoy me that a lot of countries in Nato for a long time did not live up to that 2% to allow and even encourage them to be attacked is so demented especially after what we have seen Russia do to Ukraine.

That's some scary stuff. Not sure how anyone from a civilized democratic country can cheer and applaud this.
    He said alot of messed up things at that rally on Saturday apparently.

There's a good video out on DW about the parallels between Putins war in Chechnya and Ukraine, if anyone interested.
    Last edited by alach; 2024-02-11 at 04:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean the 2% is a useful goal, but for some countries in NATO not really realistic in comparison to their army, for example Luxemburg has an army of 900 men...if they spend 2% on their army it's budget would be 1 billion, but realistically what would they spend that on? Similarly Iceland has no army, and has not had one since...forever? I dunno. It's a nice thought but there is certainly room for nuance. (He said sitting pretty in Finland which spends 2%+).

Also, the statement "pay your bills" is kinda disingenuous, NATO doesn't really have a membership fee.

Trump seems to think NATO is some sort of protection racket that the United States is running. I saw it pointed out earlier that several people in his administration tried to educate him as to how NATO actually works, and he refused to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Trump seems to think NATO is some sort of protection racket that the United States is running.
    Well, he is a career criminal with a bit of a mob boss vibe going on. Ofc he does, that's the only way he knows how to think about these things.

When he said he's going to run the US like a business... just remember what his idea of a business is: a swindle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Trump seems to think NATO is some sort of protection racket that the United States is running. I saw it pointed out earlier that several people in his administration tried to educate him as to how NATO actually works, and he refused to listen.
    He’s talking to his base who have the same views and same lack of interest in how things actually work. As it happens those countries with a meaningful border with Russia who are at risk of an incursion more than “pay their dues” anyway so really it’s irrelevant grandstanding, something Trump is frighteningly good at.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2024-02-11 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...010508611.html
    Trump says he would encourage Russia to ‘do whatever the hell they want’ to any NATO country that doesn’t pay enough

Well this is beyond fucked up. While it does annoy me that a lot of countries in Nato for a long time did not live up to that 2% to allow and even encourage them to be attacked is so demented especially after what we have seen Russia do to Ukraine.
    What's even more fucked up is that Trump thinks he can tell Putin what to do. We all know he has zero control when it comes to his master.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Also, the statement "pay your bills" is kinda disingenuous, NATO doesn't really have a membership fee.
    Why would Trump and his cult suddenly understand stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Why would Trump and his cult suddenly understand stuff?
    Fair...how I long for the times when the republicans where, while not my political party, at least somewhat connected to reality. I'm almost convinced they're using Reagan's corpse to power their HQ these days...

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Well, he is a career criminal with a bit of a mob boss vibe going on. Ofc he does, that's the only way he knows how to think about these things.

When he said he's going to run the US like a business... just remember what his idea of a business is: a swindle.
    No wonder he loves Russia so much. It ha been a mafia state for the longest time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    They have been recruiting in Nepal for a while. The Ukrainians have quite a few Nepalese POWs now.

The Nepalese have a long tradition of mercenary work. There are Nepalese units in the British, Singaporean, Indian and Brunei militaries. These are all elite units with pretty high recruitment standards. I doubt the Russian standards are much above "military age and physically fit enough".

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought they had already told russia to quit it last year:

https://www.reuters.com/world/nepal-...ed-2023-12-05/

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I thought they had already told russia to quit it last year:

https://www.reuters.com/world/nepal-...ed-2023-12-05/
    Implying Russia gives a crap about what Nepal thinks.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Implying Russia gives a crap about what Nepal thinks.
    More like, not really news...though 15000 is nasty.

I had read about Russia recruiting from Central Asia but I have not read about them doing it in Nepal, especially not on this scale.

I had read about Russia recruiting from Central Asia but I have not read about them doing it in Nepal, especially not on this scale.
    Nepal is kind of a natural target for this to be honest. Mostly because mercenary work is literally a key component of their economy and there's a substantial infrastructure in place for fostering this line of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L92Z...JazeeraEnglish

Thousands of young men go through the prep programs yearly, most flunk out or aren't selected. So for the Russians, it's easy pickings. Then of course there are those who served abroad prior, then did contract work for PMCs working in either the Middle East or Africa.
    Last edited by Elder Millennial; 2024-02-12 at 06:02 PM.

Very much worth watching: https://x.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1757117841151557943?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Very much worth watching: https://x.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1757117841151557943?s=20
    You're super late and no, it's not rofl.