1. #36961
    Mobilisation never stopped, that's how. Pootie doesn't care about loses, only winning, so every time one dies another is mobilised from among the ethnic minorities. He is hoping that well doesn't dry up before he wins otherwise it'll be the ethnic russians from Moscow and St Petersburg that get sent in and that is the last thing he wants.

    As for equipment loses, you obviously weren't watching the armoured columns repeatedly being smashed at the start of this offensive. They are replacing those from reserves but that is being drained fast. The reserves built up to take up NATO will be gone in a year to a year and a half a current rate of destruction.

  2. #36962
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Aelia Capitolina
    Posts
    59,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Mobilisation never stopped, that's how. Pootie doesn't care about loses, only winning, so every time one dies another is mobilised from among the ethnic minorities. He is hoping that well doesn't dry up before he wins otherwise it'll be the ethnic russians from Moscow and St Petersburg that get sent in and that is the last thing he wants.

    As for equipment loses, you obviously weren't watching the armoured columns repeatedly being smashed at the start of this offensive. They are replacing those from reserves but that is being drained fast. The reserves built up to take up NATO will be gone in a year to a year and a half a current rate of destruction.
    Pretty much. The long term trends of systemic corruption and brain drain haven't gone away; the war is Ukraine's to lose at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

  3. #36963
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Shit, Easo was right :O

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casual...-Ukrainian_War



    Well I'll be damned. And an answer to his question, Russia can continue when they have how many, 147 million people living in there? 500k is just a drop in the green orc ocean. Not counting internal pressure as they have to scour closer to St Petersburg and Moscow for willing (unwilling) meat shields.

    https://www.businessinsider.com/denm...24-2?r=US&IR=T

    Thanks Denmark for donating their entire artillery shell stock to Ukraine. And Czech Republic is considering sending up to 800k if funding is established!
    Eh, that's for both sides...Ukraine claims 400 000 eliminated piggies.

  4. #36964
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Eh, that's for both sides...Ukraine claims 400 000 eliminated piggies.
    Good point, then. Good odds nonetheless!

  5. #36965
    Merely a Setback Kaleredar's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    25,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    One could ask as to how Russia can keep attacking when out of ~500k men (or whatever was the latest number) on frontline 50k are out of action, according to the claims about Avdiivka. It would be a catastrophe and front would go full defensive and yet they keep attacking (about to re-enter the infamous Robotyne if not stopped)
    Or the claims about vehicle losses - how did Ukraine loose Avdiivka with 57 confirmed losses there versus Russia's supposed 666 (heh)?

    Not even funny anymore, truly the age of shovels...
    Hmm, could it maybe be that "Russia suffered grievous and heavy personnel and vehicle casualties" and "Russia succeeded in taking a town" are not mutually exclusive concepts? Did that ever occur to you, sweetheart?


    And that concept is not the "Russian picture of strength" that you're making it out to be. Throwing your soldiers into a meat grinder for scraps of land that you occasionally succeed at taking is not a long-term viable strategy. But it's the only one Russia has left.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  6. #36966
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    One could ask as to how Russia can keep attacking when out of ~500k men (or whatever was the latest number) on frontline 50k are out of action, according to the claims about Avdiivka. It would be a catastrophe and front would go full defensive and yet they keep attacking (about to re-enter the infamous Robotyne if not stopped)
    Or the claims about vehicle losses - how did Ukraine loose Avdiivka with 57 confirmed losses there versus Russia's supposed 666 (heh)?

    Not even funny anymore, truly the age of shovels...
    How come you are incapable of explaining why Ukraine is using AA missiles in Kiev?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  7. #36967
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,014
    Splash 2 more jets.

    6 in 2-3 days? Those F-16s need to hurry up if they want their share.

  8. #36968
    Maybe this will illustrate my point about tall tales better...
    Four American senators recounted a story Ukrainian officials told them at the Munich Security Conference: A soldier in a muddy trench with Russian artillery exploding nearby, scrolling on his phone for signs the U.S. House would approve military aid.
    Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), leader of one of the congressional delegations, said it was “heartbreaking” to hear the tale. “For young Ukrainian soldiers on the front lines, this is a persistent topic of conversation,” the senator relayed, a somber tone in his voice.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...rence-00142077

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    How come you are incapable of explaining why Ukraine is using AA missiles in Kiev?
    So about a week later you still decided to show that you did not read what I wrote and nor understood what exactly I asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  9. #36969
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Maybe this will illustrate my point about tall tales better...

    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...rence-00142077
    Can you spell it out more explicitly?

    I think most of us are aware of the supply issues Ukraine is facing, especially artillery shells leading them to ration their current supply. Because as we all know Republicans in Congress are doing Donald's bidding and not passing more aid for Ukraine, and European commitments haven't been completely fulfilled even as they separately commit more funding.

    These things can be true, and Ukraine may have lost a strategically important city, while they have small victories elsewhere and the like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So about a week later you still decided to show that you did not read what I wrote and nor understood what exactly I asked.
    We all did and largely came to the same conclusions.

    Maybe your clever implications are just too clever for us and you should be more explicit? It might help things along so we don't have another handful of exchanges with you dancing around whatever point you're trying to make here.

  10. #36970
    to the guy that asked what the world should do about Navalny's murder:

    when I was a kid, I was indoctrinated with jargon about how murder is the ultimate wrong/evil. As an adult, the fact people like Putin get away with it just makes me think it's seen as wrong if you're just a normal citizen and not someone in a position of power. Like Putin just murders a guy and the West still does economic business with Russia because of their wealth and resources.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  11. #36971
    Is there any more specific news on this?

    https://kyivindependent.com/czechia-...es-contribute/

    Czechia identified around 800,000 artillery shells abroad that could be sent to Ukraine within weeks if provided funding from other partners, Czech President Petr Pavel said on Feb. 17.

    Artillery shells are among the most crucial military supplies for Kyiv, as they are used daily in high numbers on the Ukrainian battlefields.

    The EU conceded that it would be able to deliver only half of the promised 1 million shells by the March deadline, while defense assistance from the U.S., including artillery support, is held up by domestic political disputes.

    Josep Borrell, the EU's top diplomat, recently said that the EU aims to deliver more than 1 million shells to Ukraine by the end of 2024.

    "We have identified at this point half a million rounds of 155 mm caliber and another 300,000 rounds of 122 mm caliber, which we will be able to deliver within weeks if we quickly find funding for that activity," Pavel said at the Munich Security Conference.
    1. Where the fuck did the Czechs "find" 800k artillery shells, half a million of which being 155mm? (My suspicion is they either found an Indian or Turkish stockpile or contractor or they somehow backdoored the South Koreans.)
    2. Why hasn't this been instantly funded? (Actually I know why....because the French, Greeks and Cypriots https://newsukraine.rbc.ua/news/thre...708073393.html)

  12. #36972
    A retired US general was scathing about Russia's performance in Ukraine: 'Their navy sucks, their air force sucks'

    How does he feel about US funding to Ukraine?

    "The monetary cost is trivial, a few per cent of our normal defence spending, and it is delivering enormous value for money," he wrote in The Telegraph late last year.

    He added: "Russian land combat power and large parts of its air and naval capability have been nullified for a period of years at the very least: deterring that combat power by our normal methods costs us many times as much."

    Hodges argued that Russia is the country that is "weak on the inside" and that the US and the wider West should support Ukraine "not out of fear, but out of opportunity."

    "Here's a young, democratic country fighting for its survival, but if Ukraine is successful, it will fix European security problems for decades," he said.

  13. #36973
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    That's what I even said from the very beginning. A tiny fraction of our military spending to absolutely cripple and expose what was supposed to be one of our closest rivals. Without losing a single American. Best money spent in almost 80 years.

  14. #36974
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Without losing a single American.
    Officially... (no I'm not loopy, I mean there's been fallen American volunteers)

  15. #36975
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    that's extremely disingenous when Russia just made a major gain
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

  16. #36976
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    that's extremely disingenous when Russia just made a major gain
    A costly symbolic gain would be more accurate.

  17. #36977
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    that's extremely disingenous when Russia just made a major gain
    You have, as always, a distorted view of what actually happened. Russians could advance 1 inch to capture a sandbox and you'd be announcing the end of a nation. A small city, that was fortified to keep as a meat grinder for the orcs, took its time to fall, be that part of US Ukraine aid being delayed by russian-licking idiots or otherwise. The city that fell (and was already utterly in ruins) used to be a 32k population city. Is that a major gain when it already was entirely rubble??

  18. #36978
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    That's what I even said from the very beginning. A tiny fraction of our military spending to absolutely cripple and expose what was supposed to be one of our closest rivals. Without losing a single American. Best money spent in almost 80 years.
    Almost half of Russia Black Sea Fleet of approximately 80 ships have been devastated in the last 2 years. 25 destroyed and 15 under repair. I would say that alone would qualify as good return on investment.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2024-02-19 at 08:14 PM.

  19. #36979
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    that's extremely disingenous when Russia just made a major gain
    First, not a major gain. Second, what did it cost them to take that city?

  20. #36980
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Can you spell it out more explicitly?

    I think most of us are aware of the supply issues Ukraine is facing, especially artillery shells leading them to ration their current supply. Because as we all know Republicans in Congress are doing Donald's bidding and not passing more aid for Ukraine, and European commitments haven't been completely fulfilled even as they separately commit more funding.

    These things can be true, and Ukraine may have lost a strategically important city, while they have small victories elsewhere and the like.



    We all did and largely came to the same conclusions.

    Maybe your clever implications are just too clever for us and you should be more explicit? It might help things along so we don't have another handful of exchanges with you dancing around whatever point you're trying to make here.
    My point is simple - you believe in obvious lies, specifically primarily based on two things: "Russia always lies"/"Ukraine does not lie" and blind trust in the Western officials, because you contrary to all the claims are just as susceptible to propaganda as Russians are + highly influnced by stereotypes even as you deny having them.

    Example - S-300 which supposedly are used in land strikes, cue endless accusations about Russia shelling civilians with them. Pray tell - how does radar guided missile hit that far? Most funniest claim was hit in Dnipropetrovsk region (https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato...sk-region.html)
    New physics? Because system's ground based radars will not see further than roughly ~25km, when raised to maximum elevation (~40 meters) which also is dependant on the terrain (hilly one means even less).
    All it took was was knowledge that the system has ersatz level capability to be used against ground targets and that was enough for Ukraine to try to find excuses for the public as to why their own AA systems hit their own cities due to hiding them there (which opens another can of worms regarding war crimes/military targets vs practical reality of "do you want to win the war or not", but I guess this is also "my clever implication" for you and won't be understood). Since it is ballistic it is used as the reason why they haven't claimed a single one shot down, hence my laugh about the "uninterceptable super weapon of the ancients". And yes, Western delivered one do the same plus we can mention that Ukraine still hasn't admitted fault in the Poland farmer case.


    And that is just one example. I want equal approach to war crimes by both sides - it isn't there. I want realistic reporting about Russia's capabilities not bullshit about shovels, washing machine chips and literally retarded "will run out in months" claims.
    I want admitance that you/we/it (collective West) absolutely fucked up and lost control over military industry when even a dumb artillery shell costs 5k and there aren't enough balls in any of the goverments to decisively reverse that, not just stupid crying about Donnie saying no no. I want stop to the increasingly pushed fear mongering and propaganda that Russia will be able to attack in 2-3-4 etc. years and while claiming at the same time how they will collapse, have nothing left and have lost the war.


    You did not do anything. When the answer is "But why is Ukraine shooting them in the first place" is the most common one it is clear you haven't understood at all. I asked whether there can be a discussion - the answer I mentioned shows that no, there can't be, just deflection, like mentioning Bucha when it has zero to do with Ukrainain AA failures used for specific example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Almost half of Russia Black Sea Fleet of approximately 80 ships have been devastated in the last 2 years. 25 destroyed and 15 under repair. I would say that alone would qualify as good return on investment.
    25 ships? Where the f... are you getting those numbers from? Please don't tell me you counted stuff like Raptors and Sernas as ships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •