Every time this thread suddenly has 2-3 new whole pages of messages, I know it has to be Waffles coming to drop a one-liner to bait people. I guess Sweden's entry to NATO really hurt the turnip-posters

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    You do realize that unlike Ukraine those two countries are extremely weak and Russia would actually be able to roll over them, even in its current state. Moldova has an army size of 6,500, and Georgia has an army size of 37,000. Ukraine had an army size of over 200,000 before the war and was far better equipped.

https://www.globalfirepower.com/coun...try_id=moldova Ranked #144
    https://www.globalfirepower.com/coun...try_id=georgia Ranked #84

Ukraine for example is ranked #18
    Yes, I do realize this. But for the third time one way or the other after the war in Ukraine is finished Russia isn't going to be able to invade anyone else for a LONG time. Either they get so badly beaten they have to retreat back into themselves to try to rebuild their crumbling military and economy or they'll continue to bleed resources in Ukraine should they eventually "win" because there's no way they're holding it without a hefty commitment of personnel and material--both of which will need continual replenishment because folks in Ukraine aren't going to stop fighting anytime soon. In fact if nations like Moldova ever had any fear of being occupied by Russia now would have been the best possible time to start surreptitiously looking into NATO membership themselves--but I doubt they actually are worried at all about it. As has already been mentioned: why would Russia throw resources into invading them? Doesn't seem like they'd gain anything much in doing so.

I was reading an article today (and I'm trying to find it now...will link later if I can dig it up) about how Russia is trying to restructure their remaining military in preparation for "war with NATO" and, quite frankly, I almost wish they'd fuck around and find out. I say "almost" because 1) nobody sane wants war and 2) the world has plenty of problems to deal with already and those resources could be better used trying to solve those rather than being funneled into a giant conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

It's mostly about making example of others.

Russia being Russia and all. Ex-Soviet countries joining NATO was a huge problem for Russia even back in the better times of 90s, where there was an illusion of transition to normalcy.

If Russia would let such a small fry like Moldova snub them in such a way, the more powerful and/or important ex-Soviet republics bordering Russia in the Asia would become cheekier than Putin can afford.

And in case of Georgia they already even had a small war going on back in what was it? 2009? That was when Georgia got a little too cheeky for Putin to swallow.

You can't really sell an image of strongman to the unwashed masses with delusions of grandeur when you have some "province" slapping his face.

That is even besides Russia's real or imaginary security concerns.
    I'm not sure who there is to heed that example who is of importance.

Countries like Finland were already all but untouchable due to geography and being in the EU. They were spooked, got into NATO and now they're actually untouchable.

The Central Asian republics, and some European proxies like Belarus, are already committed to Team Russia and won't leave them for the West for the foreseeable future. Again some might flip to China eventually but I strongly doubt they're impressed by Russia's performance in Ukraine in the first place.

And the rest of the undecided are more or less irrelevant. I doubt Ukraine was primarily about sending a message. It was about Ukraine. It's about the key to Crimea and Sevastopol, and the resources and land it contains, slipping from Russian hands, and Russia's security concerns (as you say, whether real or imagined) making this intolerable to them.

Of course the internal stronkman angle is important too. As we saw with Putin's recent... interview with that other dumbass, being the big guy redressing historical wrongs is a primary message of his towards his people, if not the primary message. Seems a lot of people in Russia think the Cold War never ended.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'm not sure who there is to heed that example who is of importance.
    Importance to whom is the key here.

Different parties have different goals and desires. In case of Russia, they put a huge effort into keeping the post-Soviet republics bordering them in their sphere of influence and especially not going ahead and joining NATO - that's like a point of pride/calculations/fear and all kinds of other feelings in the Russian leadership.

Whereas for the West, whether let's for the sake of example - Moldova joins NATO or not is entirely inconsequential. The stakes are not the same between the opposing parties.

Also, I would not write off Central Asian ex-Soviet republics as such a hard lock for Russia. There is a discontent there about Russian role in the region and even some surprising official snubs going through the cracks. Not outright "rebellion", but it's not completely blue skies for Russia there.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Let m3 guess...they blew it up with shovels? Either that or western media is full of shit, bunch of tabloids tbh
    My brother in christ it's a single tank that Russia killed using techniques that Ukraine's been using since the first year of the war.

Congrats, it took Russia three fucking years to do the obvious thing and finally score a kill on western armor. We're all super proud of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    So i get 9 replies of cope
    Yeh and people are far more likely to see those 9 replies tearing your post to shreds and think "damn that dude they're all responding to is off his rocker" than anyone is to see whatever inane nonsense you originally posted and think "gee maybe this pro-Russia guy is on to something!"

You're really bad at the "controlling the narrative" aspect, here.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    My brother in christ it's a single tank that Russia killed using techniques that Ukraine's been using since the first year of the war.

Congrats, it took Russia three fucking years to do the obvious thing and finally score a kill on western armor. We're all super proud of you.
    Afaik, the only thing we in the west has pointed out is that our tanks are more survivable. Unlike the russian space rocket tanks.

Burning abrams tank, not saved by western media plot armor

This is a new level of stupid, claiming "western plot armor" and then linking to a picture posted on a western site - talk about dishonest.

So i get 9 replies of cope, u guys were salivating about this n that game-changer weapon,, but zelensky is still loosing
    Because you posted something incredibly stupid.
    Last edited by diller; 2024-02-28 at 11:58 AM.

Burning abrams tank, not saved by western media plot armor

this is very sadge

Quote Originally Posted by anveena View Post
    Bravo. +1
    Imagine this thread if we made a post every time a Russian tank was seen burning out.

Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    Bravo. +1
    Imagine this thread if we made a post every time a Russian tank was seen burning out.
    We would be banned for spam

In an effort to try and stir up more trouble, pootie has had his Transnistria minions formally ask russia for 'protection' from big bad Moldova's ongoing 'military and economic pressure.'

Pootie seems desperate to start more things to distract from help being sent to Ukraine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    In an effort to try and stir up more trouble, pootie has had his Transnistria minions formally ask russia for 'protection' from big bad Moldova's ongoing 'military and economic pressure.'

Pootie seems desperate to start more things to distract from help being sent to Ukraine.
    What, already? Damn, and here I hoped they'd give it a bit more time in the oven.

Now I'll have to deal with claims that I'm secretly Putin. Just ain't my lucky day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You're really bad at the "controlling the narrative" aspect, here.
    As long as he gets his turnips I guess.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leave something for the F-16's!
    So, yeah, another Su-34 shot down according to Ukraine.

At this point I'm willing to consider a mole in the russian airforces...
    Last edited by Iphie; 2024-02-29 at 07:10 AM.

Could also be that now it's the 3rd year of a planned 3 day war, wear and tear and fatigue are starting to take a toll. And Ukraine is really going after those su-34s as they are the bomb tossers.

10+ Year Old Account
    That too, point is there's a lot of russian jets dropping out of the skies.

Pootie is doing his annual whine and lie fest to the nation. Usual garbage, that russia is strong and everyone wants to destroy them. russia really does have a massive inferiority complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Leave something for the F-16's!
    So, yeah, another Su-34 shot down according to Ukraine.

At this point I'm willing to consider a mole in the russian airforces...
    The most likely reason is that since Russia has the initiative right now and is advancing at a pace not seen since the escalation of the war in 2022 they are more willing to engage in riskier operations to keep up momentum and pressure despite the losses. Especially so in light of Russia's election where Putin wants to sell a win for his audience.

In other news, unlike "Oh we can't give Taurus it might hit Russians" Scholzh of Germany, it seems French are showing some balls finally. Their Prime Minister came out saying that France is considering sending military personnel into Ukraine to handle AA weaponry and to give on the ground training. He follows Netherlands and Latvia's comments of considering sending boots on the ground.

At least some are willing to take more necessary steps while others are setting up red lines for themselves in fear of Russia.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Another 2 su34s have been claimed in addition to the earlier one.