The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    And it is always so amusingly out of touch with the conversation around it. Like, contextually here is the thread, talking about destroyed Russian assets, and out of the blue, they post about how Slovakia elected a "Ukraine skeptic", I'm not even sure what that means, and how Ukraine fighting back is just pointless.

It's like the Kool-Aid man just burst into a concert hall. Just completely out of touch.

Which frankly is why I generally think they're paid shills or bots.

I'd love to have better international relations with the other world powers, I think that'd be great. But they gotta stop acting like assholes first. It ain't gonna happen by deep-throating them.
    Shills, bots, and violent anti-western contrarians aside; The main thrust of Russia's support in this War from folks in the West really comes down to them being ideologically on Russia's 'side'. To them, Russia's a bastion of their entire ideology; Manly men doing manly things because there's no woke telling them that it's wrong, a strong religious foundation, a deep adoration of 'Family Values' (IE: Being anti gay), also that whole Authoritarian thing.

To them, Russia winning is just another facet of their stupid Culture War and they're literally willing to let innocent people die to prove that their ideology is the correct one through the only way it can ever be reasonably enforced: Mass scale Violence and oppressively cracking down on dissent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Shills, bots, and violent anti-western contrarians aside; The main thrust of Russia's support in this War from folks in the West really comes down to them being ideologically on Russia's 'side'. To them, Russia's a bastion of their entire ideology; Manly men doing manly things because there's no woke telling them that it's wrong, a strong religious foundation, a deep adoration of 'Family Values' (IE: Being anti gay), also that whole Authoritarian thing.

To them, Russia winning is just another facet of their stupid Culture War and they're literally willing to let innocent people die to prove that their ideology is the correct one through the only way it can ever be reasonably enforced: Mass scale Violence and oppressively cracking down on dissent.
    Yeah, I agree with that.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    InB4 one of our putin trolls goes "US Senators are saying". Without context or reflection.

JD Vance pens an OPed for the NYT. "J.D. Vance: The Math on Ukraine Doesn’t Add Up"
    Cribbed from the fascist appeaser's playbook. Dictators are strong, democracy is weak, defeat is inevitable; it’s Lindbergh stuff. The far-right believes in Russia precisely because Russia's military commits war crimes, doesn't believe in human rights etc. They saw the footage of buff VDV guys doing hand-to-hand combat drills and jerked themselves off to it (even tho all those guys got killed on the first day of the war).

That the western democracies turned Ukraine - which should've been an easy win for Russia - into a humiliating stalemate and defeat for Putin just by shipping weapons and sharing intel creates a huge ideological problem for authoritarians like Vance and so they're trying to engineer a Russian win.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    JD Vance pens an OPed for the NYT. "J.D. Vance: The Math on Ukraine Doesn’t Add Up"
    Ukraine’s challenge is not the G.O.P.; it’s math. Ukraine needs more soldiers than it can field, even with draconian conscription policies.
    Yet no commentary on Russia yanking lads outta prison and rounding up younger and older lads for conscription. It's fine when Russia does it, not fine with Ukraine expands their eligibility!

Also, they have no hope of winiing so why support them!? We only support winners in the US!

And it needs more matériel than the United States can provide.
    Why the elitest tilde on a standard word? And yes, they do need more than just the US can provide. That's why Biden rounded up support before Russia invaded and why other western nations have been supporting them.

This is fucking two paragraphs in and the NYT op-ed section is still a barren wasteland of interesting pieces and still largely serves to give a platform for insane nutjobs. Oh, and they keep David Brooks employed so he can continue getting invited to fancy dinner parties with political elites because otherwise he might just unalive himself or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no russa shot a ICBM missle test.... now people will panic. Nah not rly, its just false treat. Same tactic north korea uses.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Oh no russa shot a ICBM missle test.... now people will panic. Nah not rly, its just false treat. Same tactic north korea uses.
    I see a MRBM being reported, I don't thinks that's the same as an ICBM. (Reported range is also 1500 km, so ya know...)

Looks like a large assault by the Russians has begun in the east. They apparently have 100k troops and have already claimed a village. Ukraines air defenses are overwhelmed.
    Putin is probably feeling pretty good with how his pets in the US congress performed.
    Last edited by alach; 2024-04-13 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    Looks like a large assault by the Russians has begun in the east. They apparently have 100k troops and have already claimed a village. Ukraines air defenses are overwhelmed.
    Putin is probably feeling pretty good with how his pets in the US congress performed.
    And the shills are silent. I thought they wanted peace at any cost? Nah, Russia is trying to progress so no peace needed. Until they occupy another piece of land, then before Ukraine gets it back, it's time for peace-talk narrative for shills. With Ukraine of course ceding temporarily occupied areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    And the shills are silent. I thought they wanted peace at any cost? Nah, Russia is trying to progress so no peace needed. Until they occupy another piece of land, then before Ukraine gets it back, it's time for peace-talk narrative for shills. With Ukraine of course ceding temporarily occupied areas.
    The issue is that without more Western support, Ukraine won't push back Russia (unless major fuck-ups from their part, though we could argue that this whole war is a major fuck-up because it showed Russia true military power). And the West is not decided to give Ukraine that support. Ukraine, while needing more equipment, needs also more manpower, which they do not have. You see where I am going, they need the West to send combat forces (which would mean that the West would declare war to Russia), which the West won't do. So Ukraine is in for a war of attrition like WW1. I would say that we could hope Russia follow the example of Germany in WW1, but we know where it could lead.

They need ammo for air defense systems that were sent by the west and take western ammo that the Americans promised they would keep supplied and now they don't have anymore. It was a really shitty thing to do them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    They need ammo for air defense systems that were sent by the west and take western ammo that the Americans promised they would keep supplied and now they don't have anymore. It was a really shitty thing to do them.
    Speaking of which, thank you Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    So Ukraine is in for a war of attrition like WW1. I would say that we could hope Russia follow the example of Germany in WW1, but we know where it could lead.
    The difference here is that Ukraine can cause far more damage in Russia then they already have. In WWI they weren't lobbing ultralight planes full of explosives at critical infrastructure.

Blowing up those two oil refineries hurt Russia. Probably more than any western sanctions.

The Black Fleet is in shambles. What's the point of having Sevastopol if its naval infrastructure is damaged and the Navy its meant to service is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    The issue is that without more Western support, Ukraine won't push back Russia (unless major fuck-ups from their part, though we could argue that this whole war is a major fuck-up because it showed Russia true military power). And the West is not decided to give Ukraine that support. Ukraine, while needing more equipment, needs also more manpower, which they do not have. You see where I am going, they need the West to send combat forces (which would mean that the West would declare war to Russia), which the West won't do. So Ukraine is in for a war of attrition like WW1. I would say that we could hope Russia follow the example of Germany in WW1, but we know where it could lead.
    US and republican pro-Putin tards are the ones delaying US support. Europe is finding them shells and other armaments. Sadly, republican traitors trying their best to support genocide and conquest timed their tantrum well so this resulted in current situation where Europe is not fully prepared to solely support Ukraine. While US tarries. But hey, I didn't expect the US to be 100% reliable ally either way. A pity it actually shows this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    It's not like Russia didn't get something to at least reach the Moon in the last year... Why would anyone be surprised they could have a missile that could hit another place on Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    It's not like Russia didn't get something to at least reach the Moon in the last year... Why would anyone be surprised they could have a missile that could hit another place on Earth?
    It would be more surprising if they could actually hit a designated target on Earth.

"They are called MISSiles, comrade!"

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I'll hold the thanks until Scholz mans up and sends truckloads of Taurus to Ukraine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    I'll hold the thanks until Scholz mans up and sends truckloads of Taurus to Ukraine.
    I don't think a truckload of normal type pokemon can do much against tanks and machine guns. Well, not these specific normal types

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Well, they aren't very useful without much more of the interceptor missiles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    To be fair all you have to do to hit the moon is fire a rocket at the right time in a straight line. As long as it doesn’t blow up before leaving the atmosphere it’s pretty easy sailing.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Republican's hatred for Ukraine truly confused me for quite a while.

The whole "Don't tread on me/patriotism/I'm a Western Chauvinist" crowd turned on a dime when running into an actual citizen army, fighting off an evil dictatorship in the name of God and Country and Western Values and free trade.

I'm like these people right here are the living breathing incarnation of everything you people claimed to have stood for for the last 80 years.