Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Republican's hatred for Ukraine truly confused me for quite a while.

The whole "Don't tread on me/patriotism/I'm a Western Chauvinist" crowd turned on a dime when running into an actual citizen army, fighting off an evil dictatorship in the name of God and Country and Western Values and free trade.

I'm like these people right here are the living breathing incarnation of everything you people claimed to have stood for for the last 80 years.
    That's how Americans have rolled since, well, always.

Ukraine is losing the war, does not matter how much weapons you give them, they are not advancing and Russia is just gaining territory by the day. Its a lost cause, there is no need to hate Ukraine to see it. Russia, even as incompetent as they are, will win this unless the Euros step up and actually send troops there, something that will not happen because they are too scared to do anything worthwhile to help the Ukrainians.

And Ukraine don't upheld Western values. It's an Eastern corrupt cleptocracy as much as Russia is.
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonazak View Post

Ukraine is losing the war, does not matter how much weapons you give them, they are not advancing and Russia is just gaining territory by the day. Its a lost cause, there is no need to hate Ukraine to see it. Russia, even as incompetent as they are, will win this unless the Euros step up and actually send troops there, something that will not happen because they are too scared to do anything worthwhile to help the Ukrainians.

And Ukraine don't upheld Western values. It's an Eastern corrupt cleptocracy as much as Russia is.
    Year three of special three day military operation, comrade.

While we may have said we won't send troops, we also said no air power, no long range missiles, and no to a lot more things we've ultimately given them. I really wouldn't rule out ground troops at all, but more realistically massed air power would probably turn the tide.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2024-04-24 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    "I rather send bullets to Ukraine than our boys."

Mike Johnson.

I agree with him on that.
    Dude is smarter than I gave him credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Year three of special three day military operation, comrade.

While we may have said we won't send troops, we also said no air power, no long range missiles, and no to a lot more things we've ultimately given them. I really wouldn't rule out ground troops at all, but more realistically massed air power would probably turn the tide.
    Sending equipments is a thing, that does not make you directly involved, and thus at war. Sending troops is going to war, something the EU is not ready (and does not want anyway). Troops would, MAYBE, be involved if Kiyv was in danger of being taken or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonazak View Post

Yaaaaay, another totally-neutral-you-guys poster!

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Dude is smarter than I gave him credit for.
    Too many people make the mistake in assuming that all of the GOP are stupid, and folks like Greene, Boebert and such certainly don't help, but don't attribute to ignorance what is easily explained by malice.

I said years before and I'll say again, I don't see how russia could ever win this. With or without the west's help, the people of Ukraine will resist. Even occupied they would resist, there would be insurgencies, rebellions, years of freedom fighters against the occupiers. Even if Russia wins this "war" who really believes there wouldn't be a resistance, going on for years.

When in history do the people just let the invaders occupy happily?

Anyways, with the weapons and the jets finally coming, this will give Ukraine what they have been lacking lately, a huge morale boost.
    Last edited by alach; 2024-04-24 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I really wouldn't rule out ground troops at all, but more realistically massed air power would probably turn the tide.
    I think it would take a truly exceptional event for the US to send actual troops into Ukraine.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2024-04-24 at 08:30 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Too many people make the mistake in assuming that all of the GOP are stupid, and folks like Greene, Boebert and such certainly don't help, but don't attribute to ignorance what is easily explained by malice.
    Also helps that - from what I hear - Johnson's 'coming to jesus' moment about Ukraine aid came shortly after security briefing he had. so either he got a really thorough reality check or some Three Letter Agency members gave him a very stern talking to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Also helps that - from what I hear - Johnson's 'coming to jesus' moment about Ukraine aid came shortly after security briefing he had. so either he got a really thorough reality check or some Three Letter Agency members gave him a very stern talking to.
    Smart money is that as Speaker, he got access to some info and he had his jesus coming moment like he was an altar boy kneeling after mass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    I said years before and I'll say again, I don't see how russia could ever win this. With or without the west's help, the people of Ukraine will resist. Even occupied they would resist, there would be insurgencies, rebellions, years of freedom fighters against the occupiers. Even if Russia wins this "war" who really believes there wouldn't be a resistance, going on for years.

Anyways, with the weapons and the jets finally coming, this will give Ukraine what they have been lacking lately, a huge morale boost.
    Who said that Russia will occupy Ukraine and that Ukrainians would be "happy" about it. You just go the occupiers textbook methods, you execute civilians left and right to keep the other in line. And one could say that Russia has already "lost" in the sense that it showed that they are not the super military power they claimed to be. They have the numbers, true but their equipments is far from being what they claimed to be.

And even if the jets are coming soon, the pilots for them are still in training and are only coming by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post

Russia has a lot of experience in suppressing a population, they have done it for their entire history. Forced relocation and replacement combined with brutal suppression wear people down eventually. And if the country had fallen in the initial invasion no one would have helped them, without hope for an international army liberating them Russia would have free reign to whatever they want. We know sanctions don't stop them.

They would resist for years doesn't matter when Russia has all the time in the world.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I'm thinking Afghanistan while the CIA and western powers quietly support a rebellion.
    Doesn't matter tho, hasn't got to that point, and I don't think it will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody will be sending any troops to Ukraine anytime soon.

Europe and especially Baltic states need to use whatever time Ukraine buys them to reinforce themselves. This aid will give Europe another year of a breather, but after that who knows what will happen.

There should be no illusions about Russia attempting to munch off some more down the road.

I'm relieved to see the assistance package has been approved and signed. It seems likely to me though that the delay of US aid was a tactical decision.

I believe the differences between Republicans and Democrats on international policy are minimal. They seem to use their positions more as a means to achieve broader objectives. No one (well, at least more than half of Republicans plus all Democrats) is interested in seeing Trump return to power.

ANd delaying the aid appears to partially be a strategic move that benefits Biden’s economy until the election. Revitalizing American industries and offloading older equipment to Ukraine like before instead of having to destroy them or refuel rockets etc. Trump poses a genuine threat to the West.

Revitilizing American industries are also an important decision to build up towards a possible altercation with China. That takes time, but started with previous packages that were approved.

This also serves as a wake-up call to Europe to take their security concerns more seriously. It's part of a larger strategy aimed at slowly weakening Russia but also prepare for China. Ukraine must not achieve too swift victories (getting assistance packages approved are victories in themselves), ensuring Putin continues to erode his own nation’s resources while at the same time not giving him too easy victories. His inauguration and the May parade might be interesting.

However the recent severe attack underscored the need to expedite the legislation. And contrary to what some might think, most members of the House of Representatives do not lack empathy.
    Last edited by Voidism; 2024-04-26 at 08:03 AM.

Some news of the day,

Russia's economy is so driven by the war in Ukraine that it cannot afford to either win or lose, economist says

Russia's economy is completely dominated by its war in Ukraine, so much that Moscow cannot afford either to win or lose the war, according to one European e
    Renaud Foucart, a senior economics lecturer at Lancaster University, pointed to the dire economic situation facing Russia as the war in Ukraine wraps up its second year.

Russia's GDP grew 5.5% year-over-year over the third quarter of 2023, according to data from the Russian government. But most of that growth is being fueled by the nation's monster military spending, Foucart said, with plans for the Kremlin to spend a record 36.6 trillion rubles, or $386 billion on defense this year.

"Military pay, ammunition, tanks, planes, and compensation for dead and wounded soldiers, all contribute to the GDP figures. Put simply, the war against Ukraine is now the main driver of Russia's economic growth" Foucart said in an op-ed for The Conversation this week.conomist.

Renaud Foucart, a senior economics lecturer at Lancaster University, pointed to the dire economic situation facing Russia as the war in Ukraine wraps up its second year.

Russia's GDP grew 5.5% year-over-year over the third quarter of 2023, according to data from the Russian government. But most of that growth is being fueled by the nation's monster military spending, Foucart said, with plans for the Kremlin to spend a record 36.6 trillion rubles, or $386 billion on defense this year.

"Military pay, ammunition, tanks, planes, and compensation for dead and wounded soldiers, all contribute to the GDP figures. Put simply, the war against Ukraine is now the main driver of Russia's economic growth" Foucart said in an op-ed for The Conversation this week.
    Ukraine war briefing: Long-range Atacms already hitting Russian forces
    Atacms long-ranges missiles capable of hitting targets 300km away had already arrived in Ukraine this month at the president’s direction, before the US security package was passed by Congress on Wednesday, the state department has said. Vedant Patel, a state department spokesperson, explained that the weapons were part of a March aid package for Ukraine – not the one just approved by Congress and signed by Joe Biden. “We did not announce this at the onset in order to maintain operational security for Ukraine at their request.”
    Ukraine has begun using the long-range Atacms, bombing a Russian military airfield in Crimea last week and Russian forces in another occupied area in recent days, two US officials have told the Associated Press on condition of anonymity. One of them said the Biden administration previously warned Russia that if it used long-range ballistic missiles in Ukraine, Washington would provide the same capability to the Ukrainians. Russia has since done so.
    And finally a quote from the week that I really enjoyed,
    “The demonization of Ukraine began by Tucker Carlson, who in my opinion ended up where he should have been all along, which is interviewing Vladimir Putin,” McConnell, R-Ky., told reporters

I thought Ukraine is winning the war? Why does the Kiev regime need to resort to such draconian measures?

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1783679389277802636
    Ukraine is cutting off passport services for its male citizens who live outside the country, to force men to come back home and serve in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNeutral View Post
    I thought Ukraine is winning the war?]
    What war? This is only year 3 of the 3-day special operation by Russia, nothing to worry about Komrade.

When are you going to change your name so you can stop living a lie Not-so-Neutral?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I think it would take a truly exceptional event for the US to send actual troops into Ukraine.
    For the US it would be, but there are corners of Europe it is talked about, if unlikely. I think air support is a more likely scenario, there are questions being asked about why we aren't, rather than whether we should.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNeutral View Post
    I thought Ukraine is winning the war? Why does the Kiev regime need to resort to such draconian measures?
    Did you forget Russia did all this...far earlier? Over a year ago? No russhki ork can leave the country, forcibly mobilizing ethnic minorities, deceiving foreign workers to come work to Russia...only to be forced to sign army contracts to be fed to the meat grinder?

Desperate ork you are

Wasn't Russia winning? Why do they keep needing more and more men and beg North Korea to help?
    Last edited by Saradain; 2024-04-26 at 03:35 PM.