10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Considering there's roughly about 0% chance they can overrun Ukraine, the odds of taking on Poland are somewhere between absolute zero and full entropy.
    Sadly sarcasm doesn't translate too well to the written medium, I may not have been very serious abut the feasibility of overrunning Poland and Ukraine.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    If it gets to a point where the Russian army is in Slovakia, Europe has way bigger issues than the state of local media freedom by then.

But yes, they’ll absolutely use this to crack down on the opposition, especially as its looking like Fico will pull through going by news reports.
    I really wonder how he himself will spin this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    *Insert Careless Whispers here*

10+ Year Old Account
    Theatrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Theatrics.
    I noticed there was no talk about forever unlimited friendship this time.

The worst thing about this are the comments.
    Imagine if these people were actualy real.

I shudder at the thought of it.. scary as hell to be that delusional.

Good thing I stay away from sites like these.

China doesn't give a shit about Russia - they are representatives of the ultimate state capitalism, they will not help Russia in case of a military event of any kind, they like and depend of western money way too much to risk anything.

The China russia relationship will just end up another Molotov ribbentrop pact. Erstwhile allies that will turn on each other eventually.

New satellite images show the recent ATACMs strikes in Crimea destroyed 2 mig-31s, plus yet more s400 units. Ukraine followed that up with a very heavy stike on the port of novorossiysk, hitting refineries, depots and port facilities facilities. Plenty of video of slow drones pounding russian infrastructure but zero response from any air defence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diller View Post
    China doesn't give a shit about Russia - they are representatives of the ultimate state capitalism, they will not help Russia in case of a military event of any kind, they like and depend of western money way too much to risk anything.
    Things such as this are hardly immutable.

China wants Russia right where they are now, hard bound to its camp with no alternatives, because once they start their Taiwan grab attempt - Russia will represent a restraining factor on a potential response.

And China WILL try to take Taiwan, don't even kid yourself that it won't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    In what way, though? Force or softer approach?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, if you'd call petplay a bromance. Read between the lines, honey: what you're not seeing in that video clip is the collar around Putin's neck and the leash in Xi's hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Things such as this are hardly immutable.

China wants Russia right where they are now, hard bound to its camp with no alternatives, because once they start their Taiwan grab attempt - Russia will represent a restraining factor on a potential response.

There is also another side on this. If Russia loses and breaks up into smaller countries, they'll inherit the nukes. If one of those countries ever join NATO, then China will have a hostile alliance on their 12. They will never allow such thing to happen.

There is also another side on this. If Russia loses and breaks up into smaller countries, they'll inherit the nukes. If one of those countries ever join NATO, then China will have a hostile alliance on their 12. They will never allow such thing to happen.
    No matter what happens I don't see Russia breaking up any further than they already did after the fall of the USSR.

Leaving aside whether those nukes are even still in working order to begin with (if the rest of their equipment is any indication, most probably aren't), I think the odds of Russia breaking up are incredibly slim to begin with. It's worth noting that huge swathes of their territory are largely uninhabited; the vast majority of their people live in approximately the western third of their nation. More to the point, there's just no reason for Russia to break apart as there aren't really the kind of divisions that would lead to such a thing. Losing the war with Ukraine, at worst, will mean sanctions and new government, not a break-up into suddenly-effective nuclear nations eager to join NATO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    In what way, though? Force or softer approach?
    I do hear they have grassroots political movement for reunification there, I'm sure they'd rather prefer that angle. But they also aren't rushing building up and modernizing their army for nothing, eventually they will bite.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this kind of scenario is not only highly improbable, but it's also a matter of decades even if such thing would ever happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Leaving aside whether those nukes are even still in working order to begin with (if the rest of their equipment is any indication, most probably aren't), I think the odds of Russia breaking up are incredibly slim to begin with. It's worth noting that huge swathes of their territory are largely uninhabited; the vast majority of their people live in approximately the western third of their nation. More to the point, there's just no reason for Russia to break apart as there aren't really the kind of divisions that would lead to such a thing. Losing the war with Ukraine, at worst, will mean sanctions and new government, not a break-up into suddenly-effective nuclear nations eager to join NATO.
    Technically, we already had an example with Chechnya.

I wouldn't deny that breakaway republics in case Russia collapses are possible, but from that to a full NATO membership to threaten China? Yeah, not happening.

And even with Chechnya, it's had a long history of trying to repeatedly assert its independence and either failing or getting re-conquered. I'm not sure any other part of Russia is in even a remotely similar situation.

15+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't deny that breakaway republics in case Russia collapses are possible, but from that to a full NATO membership to threaten China? Yeah, not happening.
    Explain how NATO would be a threat to China.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Probably for the same reasons Russia feels that NATO is also a threat.

They wanna be the top regional dog and having a bigger beast on their doorstep makes them look shitty and weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    US sends army to defend Twain, China attacks Twain and in the process US military personnel dies, US invokes article 5. Just a simple example.