1. #39261
    So Russia and North Korea signed a mutual protection pact.

  2. #39262
    Quote Originally Posted by diller View Post
    So Russia and North Korea signed a mutual protection pact.
    Yep. Many completely meaningless things happened today.

  3. #39263
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Yep. Many completely meaningless things happened today.
    I mean that's clearly a sign of aggression making defensive pacts (according to some people here)

  4. #39264
    To add another point to laugh at about how NATO is totally an existential threat to Russia.

    Russia has moved 80% of their military arsenal that was stationed alongside the finnish-russian border, to Ukraine. NATO so evil and aggressive that Russia doesn't even care to defend its border with Finland, 2nd newest NATO member. Russia did state they're bolstering the troops and weaponry along finnish border in response to joining NATO, but as always - Russia lies.

    https://yle.fi/a/74-20093440

    Link in finnish, so use a translator.

  5. #39265
    Quote Originally Posted by diller View Post
    I mean that's clearly a sign of aggression making defensive pacts (according to some people here)
    Ones that neither side has any intention of honoring? Big shrug.

  6. #39266
    Hahahaha. Musk's AI is cooking.



    Unironically tho...it's a good answer.

  7. #39267
    Quote Originally Posted by Karreck View Post
    We need to find intelligent alien life for world government to happen. Humans needs an "Other" to push against. We'll keep fighting ourselves until there is an alien "Other" to fight.
    We just need to colonize Mars.
    Then we have Mars to fight against and at least Earth will be united.

  8. #39268
    Pootie going to NK to beg for help appears to have backfired, with the SK government saying they are reconsidering providing military aid to Ukraine as a result.

    SK is a major manufacturer of high tech military gear of all types as well as having 155mm ammunition production.

  9. #39269
    Merely a Setback Kaleredar's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    25,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Hahahaha. Musk's AI is cooking.



    Unironically tho...it's a good answer.
    There are some users around here that need to read that.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  10. #39270
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    22,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    There are some users around here that need to read that.
    Those users would be very upset if they could read.

  11. #39271
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Pootie going to NK to beg for help appears to have backfired, with the SK government saying they are reconsidering providing military aid to Ukraine as a result.

    SK is a major manufacturer of high tech military gear of all types as well as having 155mm ammunition production.
    South Korea has already been sort of indirectly supplying Ukraine. Like all that ammo the Czechs just keep "finding". Ammo swaps the US where the US gives ammo to Ukraine and gets resupplied from SK stocks.

    Etc.

    But yeah direct aid would go a long way.

  12. #39272
    Merely a Setback Kaleredar's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    25,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Those users would be very upset if they could read.
    It’s also worth noting that if that’s what Twitter’s AI cooked up from mindlessly harvesting the internet and compiling sentiments and opinions into a result Russia is really, really losing the messaging war. So much so that even algorithms won’t fall for their bullshit.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  13. #39273
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    22,027
    The Russia-NK romance isn't going suuuuuper well.

    Mostly has to do with Lavrov being a drunkard shithead. Don't get me wrong, they still ended up putting on a nice show for the camera afterwards, but it's probably not all roses and unicorn farts behind the scene.

  14. #39274
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    The Russia-NK romance isn't going suuuuuper well.

    Mostly has to do with Lavrov being a drunkard shithead. Don't get me wrong, they still ended up putting on a nice show for the camera afterwards, but it's probably not all roses and unicorn farts behind the scene.
    Either a weirdly staged act for domestic consumption, or both nations diplomatic services are incompetent. Russian diplomats should have known better, NK officials should not have allowed them in the room if that's the case.

    Either seem equally likely.

  15. #39275
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    22,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Either a weirdly staged act for domestic consumption, or both nations diplomatic services are incompetent. Russian diplomats should have known better, NK officials should not have allowed them in the room if that's the case.

    Either seem equally likely.
    Russia must be especially desperate if one of the conditions NK gave them was "act like a bitch on the international stage".

    I'm leaning towards their diplomats both being shitheads that server a dictator and that those kinds of egos just don't work well together.

  16. #39276
    Romania just donated a whole ass Patriot battery to Ukraine.

    They are asking for some kind of temporary alternative from the US to cover the gap. Probably the US could station one of theirs in Ukraine, or deploy some jets there.

    https://www.politico.eu/article/roma...er%20the%20gap.

    At least on Twitter there are some rumors that the system is actually already in Ukraine, they were just holding off with the announcement, but take that one with a pinch of salt.

    The Ukrainians have been blowing up a lot of Russian anti-air, the F16 are there *soon* and now this...all lining up to an interesting summer for the Russians, they might just get a taste of what it is like to fight an opponent with air superiority.
    Last edited by Elder Millennial; 2024-06-20 at 09:18 PM.

  17. #39277
    The US is reportedly is pausing all patriot and amraam delivers to focus entirely on supplying Ukraine. Which makes sense. Other European nations only need them to defend against russia.

    And a Ukrainian air force officer said the pilots training on f16s were training to use 160km range missiles, which would be later model amraams. At that range they could safely threaten russian glide bombers from well behind their own lines.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Pootie is now 'warning' South Korea about supplying weapons to Ukraine. I know who wins out of weapon supplies from North Korea or South Korea - SK is one of the very few western nations who has prepared for a full scale conventional war, has vast stockpiles of weapons and ammo and is miles ahead technologically compared to its northern neighbour. They even have a number of T80s and BMP3 that russia sent to pay off old debts.

  18. #39278
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    South Korea
    The bigger thing about South Korea is not what they have, but what they can make.

    Somehow, they seem to be one of the very few countries out there who actually have industrial capacity just sitting around ready to go to churn out ammo, armor and everything in between.

    Guess having a next door neighbor with nukes and missiles who shells border areas with artillery every couple of months is a great motivator.

    If you look into the topic a bit, when the S. Koreans built out their defense industry they focused heavily on using it as an educational system for industrial expertise and on a lot of dual-purpose research, meaning much of the stuff they developed had civilian applications, so their defense industry is heavily embedded into their civilian industry. So the same guys who make cell phones and cameras can make military optics and sensors, the guys who make fertilizer can make explosives etc.

    Like their self propelled artillery and tanks are built by Kia, Samsung and Hanwa.
    Last edited by Elder Millennial; 2024-06-21 at 10:35 AM.

  19. #39279
    The Lightbringer Iphie's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    3,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    If you look into the topic a bit, when the S. Koreans built out their defense industry they focused heavily on using it as an educational system for industrial expertise and on a lot of dual-purpose research, meaning much of the stuff they developed had civilian applications, so their defense industry is heavily embedded into their civilian industry. So the same guys who make cell phones and cameras can make military optics and sensors, the guys who make fertilizer can make explosives etc.

    Like their self propelled artillery and tanks are built by Kia, Samsung and Hanwa.
    Dual purpose and civilian construction capacity is not that uncommon, I mean Saab, Sisu, Fokker and so on? (Granted some of these are historic)

  20. #39280
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Dual purpose and civilian construction capacity is not that uncommon, I mean Saab, Sisu, Fokker and so on? (Granted some of these are historic)
    It seems to be a feature of smaller economies that can't afford the degree of specialization and consolidation that happened in the US.

    Theoretically GM and Boeing should be these types of companies too, but in reality the separation between their defense and civilian divisions are massive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •