1. #6041
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    1) No way Ukraine will agree to this unless Russia legit turns Kiev and other cities into Aleppo, which is something Putin can't really afford.
    2) NATO and US/EU made it plainly clear they do not want to get involved and there is snowball's chance in hell Russia will agree to this.

    It's a complete non-starter.
    From what I gather, ever since 2014 the Ukrainian have been clinging to the hope of dragging NATO and the EU into their fight to reclaim Crimea.

    IMHO, if there will still be one Ukraine in the future, it would probably be in a more federalized form.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

    ~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

  2. #6042
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Electricity prices in Sweden to spike some 60-70% more because of rising gas/electricity prices and Germany thanks to the conflict and sanctions.
    I'm already paying €140/month electricity for a small as 67kvm two room apartment, which is a fucking insanity. So I can expect €200/month electricity only.
    I wonder who's sanctioning who here.
    I'm barely above minimum wage, got 2 kids to look after and already had a tight budget before all this but it's a price I'm willing to pay because at least my country isn't being invaded by a murderous fucking nazi. Just be glad you never had to live through the rationing of world wars or the great depression.

  3. #6043
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Electricity prices in Sweden to spike some 60-70% more because of rising gas/electricity prices and Germany thanks to the conflict and sanctions.
    I'm already paying €140/month electricity for a small as 67kvm two room apartment, which is a fucking insanity. So I can expect €200/month electricity only.
    I wonder who's sanctioning who here.
    I like how Germany is randomly responsible for everything these days... "Energy prices spike because of rising prices... oh and also Germany"

    Er what? Stop being poor... I mean seriously, the fuck is wrong with you?

    Yes, if you're a dick, I can be a dick too.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  4. #6044
    The Unstoppable Force Gaidax's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    20,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    Eh, why wouldn't Ukraine agree to (1)?? In this scenario they would gain security from NATO Article 5 without having to have a military of their own. Kinda like the Åland model but on a much larger scale. I know the ppl in Åland love the deal where the mainland Finland guarantees their safety while they themselves don't need to participate in military service.
    You legit think Ukraine will agree to give up weapons after this? They already gave up nukes back in 94 for promises of "we totes gonna respect your integrity" with US/Russia guarantees no less.

    You think they gonna be hoping NATO will help them out militarily next time as non-member, because of some piece of paper?

    Come on, bruh.

  5. #6045
    Brewmaster Uzkin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,299
    I see no problems in making compromises if it yields the best possible result. Demilitarization+safety would not be a bad deal IMO, in fact it is what the whole world should strive towards.

  6. #6046
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    China could try to use their wortless currency (wich they print on demand) into russa as a option of payment for russan people.
    Since they cant be sanctioned due to it.
    You are aware that EVERY nation's central bank prints money on demand, right?

  7. #6047
    Brewmaster Uzkin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    You legit think Ukraine will agree to give up weapons after this? They already gave up nukes back in 94 for promises of "we totes gonna respect your integrity" with US/Russia guarantees no less.

    You think they gonna be hoping NATO will help them out militarily next time as non-member, because of some piece of paper?

    Come on, bruh.
    NATO seems to commit to Article 5 without compromises. Do you think Article 5 is just some piece of paper?

  8. #6048
    The Unstoppable Force Gaidax's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    20,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Guys. You Ukraine soldiers. Yeah, you who got blown the fuck up too. Everyone get your giant sized balls over here and listen up. It's over. You can surrender to the Russians now, some girl in EU is inconvenienced. She has had enough of your wanting to live and be your own people fucking up their life.
    You can jest all you like, but the reality is that NATO/US/EU give more of damn about some girl in EU being inconvenienced than about Ukraine. And don't let politicians words fool you about that part there.

    Ukraine is unlucky to be a convenient buffer for both sides in this mess.

  9. #6049
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Fucking lol. The only compromise that needs to be reached is for Russia to fuck off. Ideally they could sweeten the deal by chopping Putin's head off, but that's up to them. This is an INVASION of a sovereign nation. There is no compromise. Get the fuck out and don't come back.
    Ideally. Unfortunately the reality is that completely removing the Russians from Ukraine would be next to impossible or the cost in human lives would be absolutely absurd.

    Really, a negotiated end is the most likely solution here. It fucking sucks ass...

  10. #6050
    The Unstoppable Force Jessicka's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    21,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    I see no problems in making compromises if it yields the best possible result. Demilitarization+safety would not be a bad deal IMO, in fact it is what the whole world should strive towards.
    Well maybe it’s Russia that could do with being demilitarised.

  11. #6051
    The Unstoppable Force Gaidax's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    20,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    NATO seems to commit to Article 5 without compromises. Do you think Article 5 is just some piece of paper?
    As long as Ukraine is not a member of NATO - there is no Article 5.

    It's that simple. NATO is not about to fight Russia over Ukraine like ever or at the VERY least in the next decade.

  12. #6052
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Electricity prices in Sweden to spike some 60-70% more because of rising gas/electricity prices and Germany thanks to the conflict and sanctions.
    I'm already paying €140/month electricity for a small as 67kvm two room apartment, which is a fucking insanity. So I can expect €200/month electricity only.
    I wonder who's sanctioning who here.
    I'm german. We have the highest prices for electricity in the whole world. And yet, i'd rather pay even more than supporting a shithead fascist autocrat.

  13. #6053
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Ideally. Unfortunately the reality is that completely removing the Russians from Ukraine would be next to impossible or the cost in human lives would be absolutely absurd.

    Really, a negotiated end is the most likely solution here. It fucking sucks ass...
    I'm willing to invest Russian lives for this. I see no problem with every Russian soldier dying on the battlefield. Do you? Really?

    Is this thread so fucked up that people accept an invasion as a normal thing? "Eh, it's just how it is, just give up half your country, cos.. fuckit, that's how we do it in CoD, you win some you lose some.. next match you'll be better!"

    Fucking gamer generation...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  14. #6054
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post
    NATO seems to commit to Article 5 without compromises. Do you think Article 5 is just some piece of paper?
    One side lies every fucking time it opens its mouth, breaks every fucking treaty it signed up to, and just invaded a country it has committed to not invading...while saying they aren't actually invading it.

    The other side is NATO.

  15. #6055
    Brewmaster Uzkin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    As long as Ukraine is not a member of NATO - there is no Article 5.

    It's that simple. NATO is not about to fight Russia over Ukraine like ever or at the VERY least in the next decade.
    So now you've shifted your argument from "UA will not agree to it" to "NATO will not agree to it". That's fine, it's what I myself said in my first post: might be a bad deal for NATO's interests.

    Anyways, I see any kind of relatively peaceful settlement is a repulsive thought to many "westerners" here. Fighting the Russians to the last Ukrainian seems to be a much more pleasing idea. Carry on...

  16. #6056
    Navalny has put out a call for daily protests against the war. I expect he will fall out a window shortly.

  17. #6057
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I'm willing to invest Russian lives for this. I see no problem with every Russian soldier dying on the battlefield. Do you? Really?
    I don't care about the Russians. (Well, I do, I wish they weren't invading and then they wouldn't be dying). I care about the number of Ukrainians who would have to die to kick out the Russians.

  18. #6058
    The Unstoppable Force Jessicka's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    21,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Ideally. Unfortunately the reality is that completely removing the Russians from Ukraine would be next to impossible or the cost in human lives would be absolutely absurd.

    Really, a negotiated end is the most likely solution here. It fucking sucks ass...
    Letting them stay or demilitarisation of Ukraine is literally an open invitation for Russia to go again in a few months.

    He didn’t stop at Donbas, he didn’t stop at Crimea, what in the hell makes you think he’ll stop with whatever contrived agreement you can come up with?

    The guy is a pathological liar, he does whatever the fuck he wants. And he wants to rebuild the Soviet Union. You think pieces of paper stop him?

  19. #6059
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I don't care about the Russians. (Well, I do, I wish they weren't invading and then they wouldn't be dying). I care about the number of Ukrainians who would have to die to kick out the Russians.
    Unfortunately, the only way Putin could hold Ukraine would be via massive brutality against the civilian population even if they were to surrender.

  20. #6060
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzkin View Post

    Anyways, I see any kind of relatively peaceful settlement is a repulsive thought to many "westerners" here. Fighting the Russians to the last Ukrainian seems to be a much more pleasing idea. Carry on...
    Keep pushing that Russian propaganda and keep pretending that demilitarization is an option here. IT'S NOT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •