1. #6941
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post

    Capitalism is functionally over in Russia for the foreseeable future.
    It really isn't the bleakest form of capitalism is about to show itself for anyone living in Russia.

  2. #6942
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Middle path. I can see what looks like aid convoys in Kherson already (and internet is talking something about Melitopol too) https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images...2a6597b2e4.jpg , those are not army trucks. One could and should assume they did think about the need to support population beforehand and had made preparations.
    Yes, Putler huylo, but they are not gonna starve anyone (unless, of course, they mismanage, let's hope they don't...).
    Hope spring eternal, let's hope they handle the Ukrainians better than this invasion and we get more than just photo ops when it comes to feeding them.

  3. #6943
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Hope spring eternal, let's hope they handle the Ukrainians better than this invasion and we get more than just photo ops when it comes to feeding them.
    Is there a possibility that these so called humanitarian trucks are disguised as ammunition trucks?

  4. #6944
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    It really isn't the bleakest form of capitalism is about to show itself for anyone living in Russia.
    The thing is, I see no way they could possibly reopen the stock market without triggering a complete bank run and watching the instantaneous collapse of every pension fund, investment fund, financial services company, bank and triggering a mass sell off of every imaginable stock for pennies on the dollar. Or kopecks on the ruble to be more exact.

    This will not change as long as the sanctions stay in place. Even a military victory in Ukraine and the annexation of the country wouldn't change that, if possible it would actually make it worse.

  5. #6945
    The Unstoppable Force Gaidax's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    20,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Putler had another verbal vommit, this time about how more sanctions on Russia would be bad "for the situation".
    I actually think it's quite important if that's the actual line he was pushing.

    I do not really listen to his speeches, but if he legit went on with a more toned down speech laced with "we all need to be friends", then it's a signal that he's looking for an out of this and some sort of deal to mutually roll at least some stuff back.

    It might be some sort of signal for his media dogs of war and so on to chill things down a tad, so public opinion can be prepped to some sort of deal while keeping up the appearances.

    ---

    Then of course it is IF that speech was that tame, I actually want to read the transcript now to try to understand where the wind is blowing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Meh, it hardly was a peace line push, so whatevs then.

  6. #6946

  7. #6947
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    21,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I actually think it's quite important if that's the actual line he was pushing.

    I do not really listen to his speeches, but if he legit went on with a more toned down speech laced with "we all need to be friends", then it's a signal that he's looking for an out of this and some sort of deal to mutually roll at least some stuff back.

    It might be some sort of signal for his media dogs of war and so on to chill things down a tad, so public opinion can be prepped to some sort of deal while keeping up the appearances.

    ---

    Then of course it is IF that speech was that tame, I actually want to read the transcript now to try to understand where the wind is blowing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Meh, it hardly was a peace line push, so whatevs then.
    Yeah, I scanned through the translation, and it's less of a "hey, let's wind this down, no need for sanctions" and more like "If you sanction us more, we'll step up the war crimes motherfuckers"

  8. #6948
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I already said it. Probably no.

    Capitalism is functionally over in Russia for the foreseeable future.
    Oh no, oligarchs are not going to go anywhere and capitalism is not going to die there anytime soon.
    However, they have pretty much started mass nationalization, after Western investors and companies withdrew from Russian ones. I have a feeling mismanagement is gonna be a big problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I mean that Russia is selling tens of thousands of its relics to a lot of countries there, while it's "best" it keeps for itself are just upgraded relics.

    Fewer than 1000 tanks is not what I'd call "a ton of tanks" when the top 3 have close to an order of magnitude more than that, especially in nations as populous as Japan, France, or even Poland - which is downsizing its own Tank legions in spite of its obvious geographical position of 'European Land War' ground zero. The UK runs 227 tanks that we freely admit suck and have little use for, but keep around almost out of nostalgia. It's an argument that comes up every few years here every time we decide to buy new drones and scrap tanks, the grey haired journalists get all upset.
    They are buying newly built T-90M's, Armatas are coming, if late, plus there is a ton of newly built IFV"s and APC's (in hundreds). Remember, crapload of countries in NATO have the same issues and dillemas, like what to do with stuff like Leo 2A4's.

    Thing with NATO is that not everyone needs 10k tanks, when USA provides the backbone, your units just add to them - together comparable to Russia, individually - not.
    As for UK, yeah... the Challenger "3" project is a travesty and a very obvious example of lack of funds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I certainly do not find them respectable.

    Reason:

    Look at the news.
    We are talking about tanks. Therefore I was uttely confused as to what that word means in the context of creating new models, either respectable as the country itself is or is not respectable, or that their tank development schools are respected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Hope spring eternal, let's hope they handle the Ukrainians better than this invasion and we get more than just photo ops when it comes to feeding them.
    Nah, it will be fine...ish. And yeah, saw a video in Melitopol with one long group of people waiting in line for the aid, while another was blaming them for going to Russians.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I actually think it's quite important if that's the actual line he was pushing.

    I do not really listen to his speeches, but if he legit went on with a more toned down speech laced with "we all need to be friends", then it's a signal that he's looking for an out of this and some sort of deal to mutually roll at least some stuff back.

    It might be some sort of signal for his media dogs of war and so on to chill things down a tad, so public opinion can be prepped to some sort of deal while keeping up the appearances.

    ---

    Then of course it is IF that speech was that tame, I actually want to read the transcript now to try to understand where the wind is blowing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Meh, it hardly was a peace line push, so whatevs then.
    Might be. He is playing the long game, he knows that plan did not work as expected. The fact that talks with Ukraine are happening shows that as well.
    Or we are all just wrong and it is nothing but a ruse xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  9. #6949
    Immortal Poopymonster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    7,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    Is there a possibility that these so called humanitarian trucks are disguised as ammunition trucks?
    Geneva Convention says you're not supposed to open fire on shit like Red Cross (Or Red Crescent in Muslim areas) or things providing humanitarian aid.
    Dressing up as a military vehicle makes you a target. Unless you're trying to instigate war crimes, is counterproductive to what humanitarian aid is all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok


    If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

  10. #6950
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Geneva Convention says you're not supposed to open fire on shit like Red Cross (Or Red Crescent in Muslim areas) or things providing humanitarian aid.
    Dressing up as a military vehicle makes you a target. Unless you're trying to instigate war crimes, is counterproductive to what humanitarian aid is all about.
    Oh wait, I'm retarded and mistyped. I wanted to say "is that a possibility that ammunition trucks are disguised as humanitarian aid?"

  11. #6951
    Well, there is this side of the conflict too... Not that NSFW, as opposed to the way too many NSFW ones.

    Supposedly, a marauder:
    https://t.me/stranaua/28807

    Also, humanitarian trucks are real. You have to take a bit more realistic look at things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  12. #6952
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/com..._of_charities/

    If you want to donate, there is a bigass list of charities and even a link to the Ukrainian National Bank, where you can donate directly to the military. Which is what I did. Fuck Putin.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  13. #6953
    The Unstoppable Force Jessicka's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    21,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    They are buying newly built T-90M's, Armatas are coming, if late, plus there is a ton of newly built IFV"s and APC's (in hundreds). Remember, crapload of countries in NATO have the same issues and dillemas, like what to do with stuff like Leo 2A4's.

    Thing with NATO is that not everyone needs 10k tanks, when USA provides the backbone, your units just add to them - together comparable to Russia, individually - not.
    As for UK, yeah... the Challenger "3" project is a travesty and a very obvious example of lack of funds.
    IFVs and APCs are important, we came up ridiculous short on them in Afghanistan and had to borrow a load from America. IFVs are not MBTs though.

    We still have to consider national defence and individual interests outside of American support, so it's not really about 'adding to'. That's been the major tug of war over a European Defence Force, integration, and the bloat in terms of duplication in capability. Everyone basically does what they want first, and whatever they committed to NATO second, maybe. For Britain that means force projection and rapid deployment.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    Oh wait, I'm retarded and mistyped. I wanted to say "is that a possibility that ammunition trucks are disguised as humanitarian aid?"
    That itself would be a warcrime.

  14. #6954
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/com..._of_charities/

    If you want to donate, there is a bigass list of charities and even a link to the Ukrainian National Bank, where you can donate directly to the military. Which is what I did. Fuck Putin.
    its: https://www.saintjavelin.com/ for me

  15. #6955
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    That itself would be a warcrime.
    Putin doesn't seem to be keen on respecting the Geneva convention, so doing that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

  16. #6956
    It was a fatal mistake from the Ukrainian government to let the nazis act without consequences or make them part of their army/police and the degradation of the Russian citizens or other minorities. Although one can say that Putin is the villain here, Ukrainians are not really good here. They would have much more leverage in the diplomacy stage if they acted with moderation. What they did goes against the values of the western world imo, they simply gave the right to the Russians to invade. I don't think the EU will accept them and I don't think USA will help either since they know very well these facts. Right now we have a big evil fighting a smaller evil, I don't think there is a good side here.

  17. #6957
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Haha, that's funny. Good, whatever helps the Ukrainians fuck that dictator up.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  18. #6958
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Aelia Capitolina
    Posts
    59,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    I don't think there is a good side here.
    Gee, I wonder if this is a function of you being waist deep in Kremlin propaganda.

    Ukraine's far-right problem is vastly overstated and a hypocritical complaint coming from Russia which is an actual fascist state.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2022-03-04 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

  19. #6959
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    It was a fatal mistake from the Ukrainian government to let the nazis act without consequences or make them part of their army/police and the degradation of the Russian citizens or other minorities. Although one can say that Putin is the villain here, Ukrainians are not really good here. They would have much more leverage in the diplomacy stage if they acted with moderation. What they did goes against the values of the western world imo, they simply gave the right to the Russians to invade. I don't think the EU will accept them and I don't think USA will help either since they know very well these facts. Right now we have a big evil fighting a smaller evil, I don't think there is a good side here.
    You know what you can do with your Russian propaganda?

    Ukraine is literally fighting for survival, you don't get to blame them now.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Be sure to vet any charity before donating. With bigass lists like this some are bound to be shite.
    I agree. I donated to the Ukrainian National Bank. I hope it really exists. It looked official enough to me.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  20. #6960
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    It was a fatal mistake from the Ukrainian government to let the nazis act without consequences or make them part of their army/police and the degradation of the Russian citizens or other minorities. Although one can say that Putin is the villain here, Ukrainians are not really good here. They would have much more leverage in the diplomacy stage if they acted with moderation. What they did goes against the values of the western world imo, they simply gave the right to the Russians to invade. I don't think the EU will accept them and I don't think USA will help either since they know very well these facts. Right now we have a big evil fighting a smaller evil, I don't think there is a good side here.
    You do realize that every army in the world have a part of questionable people ? Even the russian army. The Azov battalion is what ? 2% of ukrainian force.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Gee, I wonder if this is a function of you being waist deep in Kremlin propaganda.

    Ukraine's far-right problem is vastly overstated and a hypocritical complaint coming from Russia which is an actual fascist state.
    No, it is not. Stop using that word for everything you do not like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •