1. #8201
    The Unstoppable Force Gaidax's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    21,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    It's both as those interests are linked, as you seem to ignorant of.

    People in Europe both want to protect our own democracies from an imperialistic Russia and want Ukraine to continue the path towards democracy - free from an imperialistic Russia. Russia has invaded Ukraine after threatening military-technical actions and has threatened military-technical actions against other countries, which logically suggest that other countries are in line for invasion; the past, current and potential future invasions from Russia are wrong.
    Ehhhhh...

    Ukraine is and always was a convenient buffer zone for both sides and it seems like did its job well here. US is very happy, because Russia got bogged down in this shit for years + Europe running to NATO/US. This will be needed in the actual showdown of the century with China.

    Europe is fucked with extra refugees crisis and severe energy problems. Ukraine is sacrificed for geopolitical wins, as it was intended really. Russia is also fucked, but brought it on itself with this mistake.

    China and Turkey without a doubt will get some wins out of this. Turkey will use this opportunity to cozy up to West a bit to fix their economy and China will obviously have Russia and its energy in its pocket with increasingly disproportionate relationship.

    Save the "defenders of justice and freedom" crap for the kids.

  2. #8202
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Sounds like McDonalds and Coka Cola are finally bowing to pressure and leaving Russia.

    And Russia seems to have lost yet another major general, this one near Kharkiv.
    the mcdonalds theory of peace got put to bed anyway

  3. #8203
    For the sake of interest; OPEC, allies weigh oil output amid high prices, Russian war

    The OPEC+ coalition of oil producers — made up of OPEC members led by Saudi Arabia and non-cartel members led by Russia — is weighing whether to increase oil production by 400,000 barrels per day in April.

    While the coalition of oil-producing nations can benefit from high prices, the decision-makers will be walking a fine line, because high energy prices can backfire and push oil-consuming economies — their customers — into recession.

    The fallout from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine will have a huge impact on the OPEC+ meeting, being held online. Participating nations must keep in mind that the situation could cause a global recession, as could high oil prices, said Amy Myers Jaffe, research professor and managing director of the Climate Policy Lab at Tufts University. That would send demand for crude plummeting again.

  4. #8204
    Herald of the Titans CostinR's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Are you confusing @Slacker76 for @Shalcker?
    Oh fair enough. My apologies.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

  5. #8205
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Sounds like McDonalds and Coka Cola are finally bowing to pressure and leaving Russia.

    And Russia seems to have lost yet another major general, this one near Kharkiv.
    People probably shouldn't be eating McDonalds and drinking Coke in the first place.

  6. #8206
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,111
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    Russia warns Oil could reach 300 dollars...I don't know what to make of that
    I do.

    Russia is lying and their claim is bullshit.

    Even at the worst in the last 30 years oil was never that high. And that was when, guess what, the US was prepped to ban Russian oil plus other factors.

    I admit it's possible Russia could raise the price of oil by cutting off sales. I also admit it's possible to hobble around with bullet holes in both feet. The only way they can raise prices is by selling less oil, handing the US and OPEC a win.

    So, sure, Putin. Go for it.

  7. #8207
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Ehhhhh...

    Ukraine is and always was a convenient buffer zone for both sides and it seems like did its job well here.
    Ridiculous non-sense. A buffer zone is something you have between you and the other side, and Ukraine could only be seen as a buffer zone for Slovenia, Romania Hungary, as several other EU and NATO countries have direct borders with Russia and/or Belarus - and see the Russian imperialism for what it is.

  8. #8208
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Sounds like McDonalds and Coka Cola are finally bowing to pressure and leaving Russia.
    As of one hour ago they haven't yet. Sounds like you're reading early reports, you'll let us know when it's official?

  9. #8209
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    For the sake of interest; OPEC, allies weigh oil output amid high prices, Russian war

    The OPEC+ coalition of oil producers — made up of OPEC members led by Saudi Arabia and non-cartel members led by Russia — is weighing whether to increase oil production by 400,000 barrels per day in April.

    While the coalition of oil-producing nations can benefit from high prices, the decision-makers will be walking a fine line, because high energy prices can backfire and push oil-consuming economies — their customers — into recession.

    The fallout from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine will have a huge impact on the OPEC+ meeting, being held online. Participating nations must keep in mind that the situation could cause a global recession, as could high oil prices, said Amy Myers Jaffe, research professor and managing director of the Climate Policy Lab at Tufts University. That would send demand for crude plummeting again.
    Balancing oil/natural gas price is tricky. Obviously, producers want the price to be as high as possible. However, too high, you ended up with the customers cutting back, and even looking for other alternative source of energy. Such as going solar/battery/geothermal and electric/hybrid vehicles. They risk permanently losing large sectors of their consumer base.

    The question is "What is that magic number?"
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-03-07 at 11:00 PM.

  10. #8210
    The big one is here, boys and girls - rumors abound that Adidas is leaving too. Gopniks will definitely storm Kremlin now... xD

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Don't know if you've said this already, the thread is moving fast. What's your solution?
    I don't have one, all I am talking about is that certain people should take a chill pill and, frankly, stop talking about how Russia is gonna fall appart economicaly while we are gonna be totally fine because Murica rich or whatever. We will suffer, the whole idea is that Russia suffers more and that breaks them, changes their leadership and stops future wars.

    As long as goverments do not fuck up with support spending too much (and a lot of cash will need to be acquired somehow and injected) we should weather it, if not - expect mass protests in Europe very soon, as the gas and other prices start to bite.

    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Speaking of propaganda, Russia lines up children with terminal cancer in the shape of a Z to... Uh... Support(?) their troops abroad.

    How anyone thought that this was a good idea is beyond me, but I have a certain amount of morals, so maybe I'm just not built to get it.
    As we know kids and youth are most susceptible to propaganda. I wonder which idiot from the staff decided on this? Because that clearly is a local decision, there hasn't been a Z wave across Russia's schools/kindergardens yet, though I guess we can expect something soonish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I do.

    Russia is lying and their claim is bullshit.

    Even at the worst in the last 30 years oil was never that high. And that was when, guess what, the US was prepped to ban Russian oil plus other factors.

    I admit it's possible Russia could raise the price of oil by cutting off sales. I also admit it's possible to hobble around with bullet holes in both feet. The only way they can raise prices is by selling less oil, handing the US and OPEC a win.

    So, sure, Putin. Go for it.
    You do realize that gas today jumped to 3800 USD for 1k m3 for a moment? That's 6x increase, before it fell back to a more reasonable 2800, IIRC, from the 600 before the war. 300 for oil might happen in extreme circumstances.

    Do not forget to check metal prices as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  11. #8211
    The Unstoppable Force Gaidax's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    21,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Ridiculous non-sense. A buffer zone is something you have between you and the other side, and Ukraine could only be seen as a buffer zone for Slovenia, Romania Hungary, as several other EU and NATO countries have direct borders with Russia and/or Belarus - and see the Russian imperialism for what it is.
    It is a very effective buffer zone for your soft ex-Warsaw Pact EU and non-EU underbelly. Instead of hammering Moldova and and various Balkan states - Russia chews and chokes on Ukraine - 'nuff said there. It also for a long time was a giant bait for Russia setup by US, bait that Russia was dumb enough to take.

    You can be skeptic all you like, but I can assure you - there are quite a few champagnes getting uncorked in US behind the curtains at the moment. Things could not have turned out any better. Heck US probably will earn a nice penny out of this energy crisis as well.

  12. #8212
    And 4th rounds of talks is supposedly already tomorrow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It is a very effective buffer zone for your soft ex-Warsaw Pact EU and non-EU underbelly. Instead of hammering Moldova and and various Balkan states - Russia chews and chokes on Ukraine - 'nuff said there. It also for a long time was a giant bait for Russia setup by US, bait that Russia was dumb enough to take.

    You can be skeptic all you like, but I can assure you - there are quite a few champagnes getting uncorked in US behind the curtains at the moment. Things could not have turned out any better. Heck US probably will earn a nice penny out of this energy crisis as well.
    For one - their airlines are impacted less, especially when flying to Asia. European ones? Well...
    I am not saying there was an evil plan concocted by the USA's goverment - but USA has advantages in this that Europe does not. It is easier to wave the big banhammer from over the ocean while not being dependant on Russia as much as Europe is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  13. #8213
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    You do realize that gas today jumped to 3800 USD for 1k m3 for a moment?
    Oh no! For a moment? Someone think of the children!

    The $130 price is already banking on shortening supply. Russia is more then welcome to stress-test the market by cutting off the only export that anyone cares about. Wake me when they have the balls.

  14. #8214
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It is a very effective buffer zone for your soft ex-Warsaw Pact EU and non-EU underbelly. Instead of hammering Moldova and and various Balkan states - Russia chews and chokes on Ukraine - 'nuff said there. It also for a long time was a giant bait for Russia setup by US, bait that Russia was dumb enough to take.

    You can be skeptic all you like, but I can assure you - there are quite a few champagnes getting uncorked in US behind the curtains at the moment. Things could not have turned out any better. Heck US probably will earn a nice penny out of this energy crisis as well.
    Like electric and hybrid car manufacturers?

    Electric Car Sales Rise Amid Record-High Gas Prices

    Solar energy manufacturers and installers are also having a field day. We started installation of our solar panel/battery/heat pump system today. According to the foreman, the company is booked solid to the end of the year.

    Push the price too high, and those producers ended up losing customers, permanently.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-03-07 at 11:15 PM.

  15. #8215
    The Unstoppable Force Gaidax's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    21,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Like electric and hybrid car manufacturers?

    Electric Car Sales Rise Amid Record-High Gas Prices

    Solar energy manufacturers and installers are also having a field day. We started installation of our solar panel/battery/heat pump system today. According to the foreman, the company is booked solid to the end of the year.
    Guess where that electricity that powers said cars comes from.

    You people are so funny it's almost comical. The whole renewables push is important, but if you think it's going to actually replace the more traditional fuel sources anytime soon - well keep thinking.

  16. #8216
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Guess where that electricity that powers said cars comes from.

    You people are so funny it's almost comical. The whole renewables push is important, but if you think it's going to actually replace the more traditional fuel sources anytime soon - well keep thinking.
    From my solar panels?

  17. #8217
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Oh no! For a moment? Someone think of the children!

    The $130 price is already banking on shortening supply. Russia is more then welcome to stress-test the market by cutting off the only export that anyone cares about. Wake me when they have the balls.
    And gas price is still staying record high even after the dropoff and there is no reason it will suddenly fall back. What is wrong with you? I asked you before - are you willing to pay for like half of Europe? Is this a big joke for you, a game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    From my solar panels?
    Not enough for needs of hundreds of millions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  18. #8218
    The Unstoppable Force Gaidax's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    21,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Your brilliant take is that the #1 producer of crude will possibly profit off higher crude prices? Seriously?
    You took one sentence out of that and latched on it for some wild reason.

    That was not the "take" of that post, it was a side remark.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    From my solar panels?
    Your solar panels are a drop in the ocean, pal.

  19. #8219
    Over 9000! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    9,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Like electric and hybrid car manufacturers?

    Electric Car Sales Rise Amid Record-High Gas Prices
    Huh. That reminds me about something Biden did recently...
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Biden announces an executive order setting a target of 50 percent electric vehicles by 2030
    Good goal to have, but I'm not sure if that'll be doable in the US. 2030 isn't as far away as it sounds.
    Oh, right!

    At the time, I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Those goals may be near-impossible to achieve, but they're damn well worth shooting for.
    And now, we may have a much higher chance of achieving it.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  20. #8220
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    You took one sentence out of that and latched on it for some wild reason.

    That was not the "take" of that post, it was a side remark.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Your solar panels are a drop in the ocean, pal.
    For now. If the price of oil ended up $300 per barrel, you can bet the move away from oil/gas will accelerate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •