10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Speaking of Zelensky - his announcement today that war has reached strategic breakpoint for Ukraine is... very optimistic. Or he knows something we don't.
    Well we all know supplies are low, and Russia has adjusted its strategy so one could extrapolate from that that they've abandoned original goals and/or are getting ahead of what their actual position is. Their whole operation has been riddled with over-extensions looking for 'good news' to report home, and these new movements, targeting of civilians, moving to new target areas, and dialling back of air support suggest perhaps their overreaching is going further and obviously less sustainable. That's the optimistic reading of the intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    is putin more insane than trump by this point
    I think simply calling either of them "insane" is incredibly, overly reductive and gets rid of anything resembling nuance.

Which, y'know, is par for the course for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I thought we shouldn't call him anything like "crazy" or "insane," because he was neither, and that he was simply "evil"?
    This. All the speculation about his mental and indeed physical health is pointless, unhelpful, and honestly just serves as ableism against those who genuinely suffer.

While also excusing the fact he's been an evil murderous bastard his entire life.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2022-03-11 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Well we all know supplies are low, and Russia has adjusted its strategy so one could extrapolate from that that they've abandoned original goals and/or are getting ahead of what their actual position is. Their whole operation has been riddled with over-extensions looking for 'good news' to report home, and these new movements, targeting of civilians, moving to new target areas, and dialling back of air support suggest perhaps their overreaching is going further and obviously less sustainable. That's the optimistic reading of the intelligence.
    And the pesimistic one is this - the louder the announcements, the worse the actual situation on the front is. Then again, that is normal in wars and Zelensky has to do this to keep morale up.
    I still think (slowly sinking into hoping, though) this will end with some kind of deal, but both sides need a strong hook for that first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I think simply calling either of them "insane" is incredibly, overly reductive and gets rid of anything resembling nuance.

Which, y'know, is par for the course for you.
    He just wants confirmation that Putin has gone mad and will press the red button ANY MINUTE NOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    And the pesimistic one is this - the louder the announcements, the worse the actual situation on the front is. Then again, that is normal in wars and Zelensky has to do this to keep morale up.
    I still think (slowly sinking into hoping, though) this will end with some kind of deal, but both sides need a strong hook for that first.
    For sure, the reality is somewhere in between, while Ukraine are declaring to being near victory, and Russia are demanding foreign volunteers, and straight up making up any old shit about NBC weapons, I'd tend to err on things slightly favouring Ukraine.

No more Pokemon Go in Russia and Belarus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    No more Pokemon Go in Russia and Belarus.
    Pour one out, that's one of the real losses.

another top Russian general, neutralized.

maybe, I don't know, Ukraine doesn't have to *win* the war to drag Russia into another Afghanistan style quagmire. we've already reached that point, in a matter of weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN talks to an experienced expert on Russia.

Amongst the things he says, Putin treats the oligarchs the way most people treat the janitor.

7+ Year Old Account
    Personally I think Putin is evil and not really crazy or irrational. I think Putin sees the writing on the wall, which is that the West is more appealing to Russia's historical allies than Russia. The only way to stop Westernization in Russia's satellite states is to conquer and intimidate them, where Ukraine is just being used as an example.

His fears and actions are rational from the perspective of an authoritarian leader, it's just that the societal values he's fighting for are wrong. He should be copying the West instead of fighting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Pour one out, that's one of the real losses.
    First Adidas, then McDonalds, now Pokemon Go.
    The struggle is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I think Putin sees the writing on the wall, which is that the West is more appealing to Russia's historical allies than Russia.
    I think it is possible the west is more appealing to Russians right now.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

https://www.newsweek.com/full-list-3...-1687052?amp=1

Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee,
    John Boozman of Arkansas,
    Mike Braun of Indiana,
    Richard Burr of North Carolina,
    Bill Cassidy of Louisiana,
    Tom Cotton of Arkansas,
    Kevin Cramer of North Dakota,
    Mike Crapo of Idaho,
    Ted Cruz of Texas,
    Steve Daines of Montana,
    Deb Fischer of Nebraska,
    Bill Hagerty of Tennessee,
    Josh Hawley of Missouri,
    John Hoeven of North Dakota,
    Ron Johnson of Wisconsin,
    John Kennedy of Louisiana,
    James Lankford of Oklahoma,
    Mike Lee of Utah,
    Cynthia Lummis of Wyoming,
    Roger Marshall of Kansas,
    Rand Paul of Kentucky,
    Jim Risch of Idaho,
    Mitt Romney of Utah,
    Mike Rounds of South Dakota,
    Marco Rubio of Florida,
    Ben Sasse of Nebraska,
    Rick Scott of Florida,
    Tim Scott of South Carolina,
    Dan Sullivan of Arkansas,
    Thom Tillis of North Carolina
    Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania

Every US Senator - all Republicans - that voted against the concurrent motion with the House amendment to provide $13.6B in humanitarian and military aide to Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Personally I think Putin is evil and not really crazy or irrational. I think Putin sees the writing on the wall, which is that the West is more appealing to Russia's historical allies than Russia. The only way to stop Westernization in Russia's satellite states is to conquer and intimidate them, where Ukraine is just being used as an example.

His fears and actions are rational from the perspective of an authoritarian leader, it's just that the societal values he's fighting for are wrong. He should be copying the West instead of fighting it.
    Putin wages an illegal war and bombs hospitals and you don't think that's crazy.

You're fucking insane and a warmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange One View Post
    Putin wages an illegal war and bombs hospitals and you don't think that's crazy.

You're fucking insane and a warmonger.
    I agree with PC2. Highly immoral, but not irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    I agree with PC2. Highly immoral, but not irrational.
    So killing civilians is rational? You agree that killing innocents is fine, you're a monster.
    Last edited by Strange One; 2022-03-11 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange One View Post
    So killing civilians is rational? You agree that killing innocents is fine, you're a monster.
    I think you are ignoring a crucial fact we kill civilians on purpose all the time fairly recently in Afghanistan that entire family got wiped out by a drone. We've also used cluster bombs on civilians and right now as we speak Yemeni hospitals are getting leveled by USA made bombs. The moral high ground isn't the one you want to take here sure ideally that would be the case but the world isn't black and white.