1. #9581
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    No I'm against war... Explaining a war doesn't not mean support of a war.
    *You need an iq above 100 to respond to this poster*

  2. #9582
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange One View Post
    ' You dont think it's crazy to kill innocent people, you are evil.
    You're hitting the mark.
    To me, the essence of evil has always been insane.

  3. #9583
    Immortal Poopymonster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Pretty much this their original plan was coercion they expected to be welcomed as liberator now they are going full fear and death.
    That failed, so they're gonna try to beat them into the ground until the surrender. If making people into pieces helps them achieve that goal, it's an option. Don't get me wrong, targeting civilians is vile from an emotional standpoint. Logically? It's a sound tactic, and more importantly it's an effective tactic in the past. They just misjudged their targets. Horribly.
    Last edited by Poopymonster; 2022-03-11 at 09:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok


    If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

  4. #9584
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    That failed, so they're gonna try to beat them into the ground until the surrender. If making people into pieces helps them achieve that goal, it's an option. Don't get me wrong, targeting civilians is vile from an emotional standpoint. Logically? It's a sound tactic, and more importantly it's an effective tactic in most cases. They just misjudged their targets. Horribly.
    Agreed and they aren't even using new tactics they are doing the same thing they did in Syria in Ukraine which doesn't bode well for the civilian population.

  5. #9585
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Logical yes. If you are trying to cow an opposing force, targeting civilians makes sense. You cow some, remove others, and those who live and are full of vigor are a much smaller group than pre-bombing. Reasonable depends on your personal values.
    Yes, but the definition of rational isnt just if its logical. The question is if it's logical and reasonable.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Seems you too are unable to read. Do you two think random shouting of emotions are arguments or discussions? We did not for a moment say Putler is good, or excuse his deeds. We said something entirely different.

    God damn internet madness.
    Asking a question is "random shouting of emotions"? I think you need a break, homie. Youre cracking..

  6. #9586
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange One View Post
    *You need an iq above 100 to respond to this poster*
    PC2 cried about this, hence the infraction, PC2 hates freedom of speech.

  7. #9587
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    You're hitting the mark.
    To me, the essence of evil has always been insane.
    Evil is a moral stance, sanity is a rationality stance.

    Putin has an objective, he is not insane. He is prepared to do terrible things to achieve that. That is what makes him immoral.

    He might be paranoid which you could argue is on the crazy scale but he is not a crazy person.

    From a tactical perspective it can be incredibly difficult to weed out combatants in an urban environment without significant danger. To the point where you might airstrike a building to rid yourself of a sniper. I have never seen anything to corroborate this but Jeremy Clarkson did a documentary series on 5 inventions that changed the world, one of them being the gun and in particular, the AK-47. A little tidbit that was given by an army officer is that in order to take a medium sized fortified house room by room in an urban environment they work off 20-30 casualties per building. That is how you get to "blowing up civilian buildings" as a rational action.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

  8. #9588
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Where did I say it wasn't bad? I am saying he isn't irrational.
    ofcourse he is irrational. You can see that by the FSB arrests today.

    1 man personalist regimes like Russia and Putin always end up irrational. He and Russia have become completely dysfunctional.

    Personalist power like Putins (or Jong un's etc) relies on security services to maintain power. over time the inner circle of security advisors become more hawkish, irrational and belligerent. They are unable to challenge the ruler (putin) and can only tell him what he wants to hear. This leads to overconfidence and irrational choices because the information is bad. Putin arrested the FSB lads because they lied to him and hes now thrashing around but he must also know that the system he created would produce these yes men.

    This isn't unique to personalist regimes but over time its guaranteed to happen to them because its baked in from the start.

    The war was irrational, and anything after that is a continuation of irrational choices.

  9. #9589
    Pit Lord Omians's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,453
    one of the people that pops up on my Facebook feed Linked this video before it got Masked for being false information
    one of the heavy cool-aid drinker types

    https://www.facebook.com/1110263350/...3526425710363/

    its set to Global so anyone can see it.


    feels like 2 different videos mashed together. a guy infront of a green screen and the fake body bags in the back
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

  10. #9590
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    ofcourse he is irrational. You can see that by the FSB arrests today.

    The war was irrational, and anything after that is a continuation of irrational choices.
    Couldn't agree more.

  11. #9591
    Immortal Poopymonster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Yes, but the definition of rational isnt just if its logical. The question is if it's logical and reasonable.
    To Putin, it was probably was reasonable. Still horrific and vile, but to the man who gave the order, it was logical and reasonable. The normal "rules of warfare" tend to be tossed aside by someone who will do whatever it takes to win. Even worse if it's because they believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, they are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok


    If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

  12. #9592
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Evil is a moral stance, sanity is a rationality stance. Putin has an objective, he is not insane. He is prepared to do terrible things to achieve that. That is what makes him immoral. .
    immorality and evil is kinda grading on a curve.
    A reason to commit mass murder isn't based upon reasoning.
    Refer to the reasoning behind the objective.

  13. #9593
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    ofcourse he is irrational. You can see that by the FSB arrests today.

    1 man personalist regimes like Russia and Putin always end up irrational. He and Russia have become completely dysfunctional.

    Personalist power like Putins (or Jong un's etc) relies on security services to maintain power. over time the inner circle of security advisors become more hawkish, irrational and belligerent. They are unable to challenge the ruler (putin) and can only tell him what he wants to hear. This leads to overconfidence and irrational choices because the information is bad. Putin arrested the FSB lads because they lied to him and hes now thrashing around but he must also know that the system he created would produce these yes men.

    This isn't unique to personalist regimes but over time its guaranteed to happen to them because its baked in from the start.

    The war was irrational, and anything after that is a continuation of irrational choices.
    Putin sees NATO expansion as a threat, alliance has taken some actions that give the idea that it's not purely defense. Russia was given verbal assurances that NATO would not expand to their borders, he fears being surrounded from all sides by the west. Let's go into his move to go into Ukraine, the international community had a history of being weak when it comes to Russia they took Crimea, Biden even made the "small incursion" comment and they have Europe by the balls with oil.

    When you look at Ukraine Zelensky was not popular, he had been waging a hot war for 8 years now. I mean I can go on his thought process seems pretty straight forward, I agree with you that he and Russia has become dysfunctional as he did not understand the capabilities, logistics and how far he could push it and that's the result of the cult of personality.

  14. #9594
    Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    one of the people that pops up on my Facebook feed Linked this video before it got Masked for being false information
    one of the heavy cool-aid drinker types

    https://www.facebook.com/1110263350/...3526425710363/

    its set to Global so anyone can see it.


    feels like 2 different videos mashed together. a guy infront of a green screen and the fake body bags in the back
    Man it's easy to overlay fake audio when there's a mask, but it's obvious he's not even saying the shit in the video that is being pumped through the audio since nothing in his face matches it.

    Fuck mean, the boomer generation needs to get the fuck off the internet.

  15. #9595
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    To Putin, it was probably was reasonable.
    Deciding if something is rational or not, is not often left up the perpetrator of the actions in question. Often, when we gauge what is rational, we contrast it against a reasonable person, as in, "what would a reasonable person do".

    Do you think a reasonable person would lie about reasons for invading a sovereign nation, bringing upon those innocent people death and destruction?
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2022-03-11 at 10:11 PM.

  16. #9596
    The Unstoppable Force PC2's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    21,877
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    ofcourse he is irrational. You can see that by the FSB arrests today.

    1 man personalist regimes like Russia and Putin always end up irrational. He and Russia have become completely dysfunctional.

    Personalist power like Putins (or Jong un's etc) relies on security services to maintain power. over time the inner circle of security advisors become more hawkish, irrational and belligerent. They are unable to challenge the ruler (putin) and can only tell him what he wants to hear. This leads to overconfidence and irrational choices because the information is bad. Putin arrested the FSB lads because they lied to him and hes now thrashing around but he must also know that the system he created would produce these yes men.

    This isn't unique to personalist regimes but over time its guaranteed to happen to them because its baked in from the start.

    The war was irrational, and anything after that is a continuation of irrational choices.
    The war serves Putin's interest though because Ukraine was moving away from Russia and towards Western integration, until the invasion. Why is that illogical or irrational from the perspective of an authoritarian Russian leader? If Russia lost Ukraine it would be extremely embarrassing for Putin and it would de-legitimize him in the eyes of Russian citizens who want to have a strong man leader.

  17. #9597
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Putin sees NATO expansion as a threat, alliance has taken some actions that give the idea that it's not purely defense. Russia was given verbal assurances that NATO would not expand to their borders, he fears being surrounded from all sides by the west. Let's go into his move to go into Ukraine, the international community had a history of being weak when it comes to Russia they took Crimea, Biden even made the "small incursion" comment and they have Europe by the balls with oil.

    When you look at Ukraine Zelensky was not popular
    I've addressed that nato bullshit point already

    As for the bolded he got 73.22% of the popular vote in the last election in 2019

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    The war serves Putin's interest though because Ukraine was moving away from Russia and towards Western integration, until the invasion. Why is that illogical or irrational from the perspective of an authoritarian Russian leader? If Russia lost Ukraine it would be extremely embarrassing for Putin and it would de-legitimize him in the eyes of Russian citizens who want to have a strong man leader.
    he was getting everything he wanted by putting his troops on the border. He was forcing the ok on nordstream2, projecting russian power and he could have moved his troops away and laughed at the US 'hes going to invade' intel. It would have been a better move to keep the troops on the border. Now hes blown it all up and crippled himself and Russia.

    Even if he had taken Ukraine what would it have bought his patriarchal regime and economic model 10 years? 20?

  18. #9598
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    I've addressed that nato bullshit point already

    As for the bolded he got 73.22% of the popular vote in the last election in 2019
    Last I checked we are in 2022, he was in the 30% range before the invasion.

  19. #9599
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Aelia Capitolina
    Posts
    59,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Putin sees NATO expansion as a threat, alliance has taken some actions that give the idea that it's not purely defense.
    No it hasn't.

    Russia was given verbal assurances that NATO would not expand to their borders
    No they weren't.

    This is purely a function of Putain lashing out because his sphere of influence is shrinking thanks to his own policies, to say nothing of trying to shore up the regime's strength and leave a legacy besides "a transitional leader in a dying empire."
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

  20. #9600
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Last I checked we are in 2022, he was in the 30% range before the invasion.
    Man, country has low opinion of untested leader facing a potential invasion from Russia, only to find out their concerns were unfounded and the guy is absolutely crushing it. It's a bit more nuanced than that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •