Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    snip.........
    Edit: trying to find an image host right now. Some have been blocked. Ok, I can not post pictures for some reason over here.
    https://imgbox.com/ms5iMYaK
    Don't bother. This is the view from my window. I tried taking a picture so that only the tower is visible and no nearby buildings, so that it is more difficult to identify exactly where it was taken from for obvious reasons. But naturally, it is not going to be enough for some, unless I am hugging Zelensky with my passport open and then do an id verification check in person with a lawyer in front of a live audience.

As for those who doubt that our military rides in ambulances - taking a picture of that is perhaps the easiest method of committing a suicide. How do you say that in the US - suicide by cop? This is basically the same thing.

Yesterday, 8 AA missiles blew up straight above my house. 4 in the morning, and 4 later in the afternoon. My guess is that Russians send small drones for surveillance and our trigger happies are having the time of their life. I stopped counting explosions that at least do not make my monitor jump a long time ago. These ones pretty much did. I hope that shrapnel from these missiles is not going to puncture my roof someday, as it is going to be a pain in the ass to get there and patch it up.

Also yesterday, me and my wife were looking out of a window and saw something very large and slow take off from somewhere near the tower. Normally, Grad and AA rockets accelerate very fast. These are relatively small. But this was a large missile, with a huge fire plum. Even at that distance we could see a dark spec of where that plum originated, meaning it was very, very large compared to a typical AA or a Grad missile.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2022-03-19 at 06:27 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    He must be using some kind of trick, as the other person mentioned it is suspicious. The paranoid tirade he recently made of executing all traitors made me certain someone tried to put a hit on him. There’s no reason someone like that would ever force a rally like that right now knowing how many people want him dead.
    There's usually security at these events. When I go to the yearly national day parade of my country they pat us down before we enter in general area where our politicians are.

It was Putin and he had easily 100k people there with him.

Let's dismiss this fiction that Russians do not support they the invasion: They overwhelmingly do, or that somehow they simply just believe the propaganda fed to them on TV: They have internet and it was astounding for my girlfriend to see how many young people were in the crowd.

All I can think of is: What a bloody fucking terrible waste of humanity. Ukraine will take a decade at least to recover to where they were pre-invasion, likely a lot more while Russia? Russia has decided to move towards isolation from pretty much the rest of the world, certainly the civilized western world that a decade or two ago they could have been deeply integrated into.

The last 30 years were for nothing.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2022-03-19 at 07:18 AM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    The last 30 years were for nothing.
    For Russia? Quite possibly.

For Ukraine? Less likely.

For the rest of the world? Definitely not.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

is it considered immoral or inhumane to advocate for Putin's death? Not even here in particular, but social media is banning chanting of it.

And of course, Lindsey Graham is still getting shit on for it

People rave daily about his atrocities and war crimes, but when you say "he should die" you're treated as a bad person.
    Wishing death on people, you're no better than him. It's rightfully banned, and this is not even morally grey. You could wish for him to be removed from power, or even put into jail, but like the death row, wishing death on people and asking for them to be killed is barbaric.

10+ Year Old Account
    He must be using some kind of trick
    It's obviously a Jedi mind trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Oh, btw, Edge, I am going to rage if this get's posted as "Russian missile"
    Nobody really cares if another Putinista shill throws a tantrum. You're a lost cause.

- - - Updated - - -

It feels like now people are gradually making no distinctions with "russians" and "Putin." AKA, common people vs one man.

so tell me: do you people think all Russians are evil or undeserving of pity?
    Yes. All my sympathy is being used up for Ukrainians right now. Like the women and children I met in a train from Berlin yesterday. Ask me again when Russia stops being a dick nation and fucks off out of Ukraine. Until then, you really need to stop these shitposts.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    For the rest of the world? Definitely not.
    We are now going to live in a world of great power competition, closed borders, information limitations and outright hostilities between the major powers.

ALL of which could have been avoided. Make no mistake here: The entire world will suffer enormously over this, and I don't mean gas bills.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    We are now going to live in a world of great power competition, closed borders, information limitations and outright hostilities between the major powers.

ALL of which could have been avoided. Make no mistake here: The entire world will suffer enormously over this, and I don't mean gas bills.
    If you think that's going to be the worldwide reality for the next 30 years, then I don't know what to tell you other than "nuh-uh".

Also, reducing the world's dependence on fossil fuels is a silver lining, if anything. This is not even remotely the way anyone really wanted to go about it, and it's not like it's going to change overnight, but this can only make people more open to the idea going forward.

Gas is also one of those commodities where the vast, vast majority of the profits go to the government (or the people in the upper echelons of the government, at least). That wealth rarely trickles down much to the ordinary citizens. In the long run, a world without a need for fossil fuels is one in which hopefully those countries which have used it as a source of income will be forced to invest in their country's infrastructure in a more serious way in order to increase their economic prosperity.

Yeah, probably not without more heartache before then, however. That's all tomorrow's pipe dream, anyway.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Ukraine is claiming a 5th general, this one the Lt Gen who was CO of the 8th Combined Arms Army.

When that guy speaks, you say "yes sir" and you listen :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e1BndTE6Lg

Uh, the world is more than just Russia.

Russia has managed to undo all the damage Trump inflicted. The West is closer than ever, the EU is stronger than ever. When Ukraine joins (When! Not if!) that'll more than compensate for the silly Brexit escapade that we're already not concerned about anymore. It's a complete non-issue at this point. Our economy in the EU has battled crisis after crisis since 2008, and yet somehow it's still churning out those numbers and providing wealth and security in Europe. You can't do much more than harden the EU economy and make sure it's future proof. Thanks for bugtesting it for us, Putin!

Meanwhile, people in the EU and the US are beginning to learn the process of critical reading/thinking. Borders remain open to all countries that aren't dick states. Russia is the only country being isolated right now. There is no "hostility between major powers" because Russia is not a major power. They have shattered the illusion that they matter. It's completely debunked.

On the other hand, what Putin achieved is giving the US and the EU the much needed opportunity to show China that "sanctions" aren't such a blunt weapon after all. I dare say people will listen a bit more closely now when the word sanction is mentioned.

All in all, I think you're wrong on all points.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    When that guy speaks, you say "yes sir" and you listen :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e1BndTE6Lg
    Why should anyone? Why should i listen to an adulterous junkie?

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Nobody really cares if another Putinista shill throws a tantrum. You're a lost cause.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. All my sympathy is being used up for Ukrainians right now. Like the women and children I met in a train from Berlin yesterday. Ask me again when Russia stops being a dick nation and fucks off out of Ukraine. Until then, you really need to stop these shitposts.
    This tbh. I spent a few nights as a volunteer at the main railway station where a lot of ukrainien refugees arrive - i speak a few words ukrainian and russian as i lived a few months in Odessa.

Seeing families running from the war, observing mothers struggling to tell their children that their fathers wont come ... my sympathy for russians is used up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post

This tbh. I spent a few nights as a volunteer at the main railway station where a lot of ukrainien refugees arrive - i speak a few words ukrainian and russian as i lived a few months in Odessa.

Seeing families running from the war, observing mothers struggling to tell their children that their fathers wont come ... my sympathy for russians is used up.
    Because that is his private life and that should not stop you from listening what he has to say ? Or are you too childish for that ?

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    On the other hand, what Putin achieved is giving the US and the EU the much needed opportunity to show China that "sanctions" aren't such a blunt weapon after all. I dare say people will listen a bit more closely now when the word sanction is mentioned.

All in all, I think you're wrong on all points.
    Exactly. Places like China and Russia have insurmountable amounts of poor people, that the rich elite can use as cannon fodder in conventional wars, and will given the chance. Sanctions? Sanctions don't care about the fodder. It goes right through to those elites themselves, immediately gnawing at their bank accounts; where it hurts them the most personally. Should be a wakeup call to them, watching this unfold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

It appears that yesterday's little concert might not be all that it seems - https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1505027822569631745

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Exactly. Places like China and Russia have insurmountable amounts of poor people, that the rich elite can use as cannon fodder in conventional wars, and will given the chance. Sanctions? Sanctions don't care about the fodder. It goes right through to those elites themselves, immediately gnawing at their bank accounts; where it hurts them the most personally. Should be a wakeup call to them, watching this unfold.
    Genuine question, when was the last time China invaded anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Genuine question, when was the last time China invaded anyone?
    Vietnam in 79. It was in response to Vietnam taking out the Khmer Rouge who were China's clients. Border clashes continued until 91.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Vietnam in 79. It was in response to Vietnam taking out the Khmer Rouge who were China's clients. Border clashes continued until 91.
    A while then. Aside from their own civil wars, and fights with Japan, I just had an impression they were just just culturally not that fighty, having not had a great time of it historically.

I mean, I know they have a massive army and nukes and so on, but never seem in a genuine hurry to use it. They’re just to insular.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    'Adulterous', lol. Are you posting from the 17th century? His message to the Russian people is inspiring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    It appears that yesterday's little concert might not be all that it seems - https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1505027822569631745
    I don't see the footage in the recent speech.

In this older speech, though, they literally use the exact same 3-second clip of those two girls at 0:47 and 1:09, which is still a bit shady.

This is probably just a website using the wrong image on their current article.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils