10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    In reality frog slowly getting boiled
    You weren't being boiled, is the thing.

Again; no one forced you to alienate your neighbors. Your actions did that. So like I said - doing nothing would have benefited Russia far more.

There are a lot of considerations stopping that - most of all, Western response to invasion.
    I like how "not invading in the first place" is apparently not a consideration. Rofl.

The unacceptability of wars of conquest has been an established part of international law for almost a century now. Sanctions, as an alternative to direct military action, are entirely acceptable.

And what I said still applies: doing nothing would have benefited Russia far more, part two.

Welfare without security
    And thanks to Russia's policies it has neither welfare nor security. Something you yourself admit when you keep having to default to 'but muh nukes'.

Doing nothing would have benefited Russia far more, part three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, they didn’t. Sanctions have increased as Russia’s invasion persisted. If Russia wanted to avoid sanctions they’ve had since 2014 to do so. It was decided in 2022 sanctions are worth invading Ukraine and committing war crimes. Thus, you got what you desired. Blame Putin, not the west.
    It takes two to tango.

10+ Year Old Account
    It takes two to tango.
    The West didn't force you to invade Ukraine. You did that unilaterally.

So no; this isn't a tango, this is a drunkard performing bad karaoke.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

West went with instant "nuclear economic option" before any "infringements" you mention happened.

Past that it doesn't matter what you do - war will end the way Russia wants it to end because even going that far you're powerless to prevent that.
    Or it's going to end the way it ends, with all factors involved, not only Russias wishes. Same with sanctions. There was no nuclear option, people were actually angry that most of the politicians started with only tiniest ones and moved to stuff like SWIFT block after quite some time. There was time for you guys to think things over. Instead, apparently the chosen option was "devastation of Ukraine is top priority, no matter that it will come with the price of Russia being cut from western politics, trade and culture". Hey, if you never wanted those things in the first place all you had to do was to tell the West.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The West didn't force you to invade Ukraine. You did that unilaterally.
    West provided no acceptable solution to Ukrainian problem.

So, Russia will solve it the Russian way, with no regard to Western opinions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Or it's going to end the way it ends, with all factors involved, not only Russias wishes. Same with sanctions. There was no nuclear option, people were actually angry that most of the politicians started with only tiniest ones and moved to stuff like SWIFT block after quite some time. There was time for you guys to think things over. Instead, apparently the chosen option was "devastation of Ukraine is top priority, no matter that it will come with the price of Russia being cut from western politics, trade and culture". Hey, if you never wanted those things in the first place all you had to do was to tell the West.
    Moreover, as you mentioned there was the previous precedent of much lighter sanctions being levied after Crimea was invaded and illegally annexed.

There have been more than adequate opportunities for Russia to climb down. It didn't, so harsher responses are entirely appropriate.

Western politics and culture have been moving into garbage bin for a while; cutting them is benefit.

Western trade is more painful, but not irreplaceable over time.

10+ Year Old Account
    West provided no acceptable solution to Ukrainian problem.
    The Ukrainian problem which wasn't your business to start with given that it is an independent and sovereign entity.

You could have done nothing and ended up better off than you are now. Simple as that.

Past that it doesn't matter what you do - war will end the way Russia wants it to end because even going that far you're powerless to prevent that.

As intended.
    There's difference between powerless and restraint. Russia doesn't know what the latter even means, which explains your confusion. West is entirely capable of chopping up any remaining terrorist in Ukraine, in extremely short order. I'm not sure why you keep trying to push your luck about it. Take the sanctions as the cost of the lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Western politics and culture have been moving into garbage bin for a while; cutting them is benefit.

Western trade is more painful, but not irreplaceable over time.
    US politics and culture. Do not conflate EU with US on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The Ukrainian problem which wasn't your business to start with given that it is an independent and sovereign entity.
    Ukraine wasn't your business to begin with.

You don't border them, your trade with them is miniscule, all you use them for is to recycle outdated arms to pass "loaned" money back to your MIC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    There's difference between powerless and restraint. Russia doesn't know what the latter even means, which explains your confusion. West is entirely capable of chopping up any remaining terrorist in Ukraine, in extremely short order. I'm not sure why you keep trying to push your luck about it. Take the sanctions as the cost of the lesson.
    Because if it will come to that then world fully deserves what will follow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and? The West isn't using a problem they have no business with as an excuse to invade Ukraine. You are.

You've already been warned about whataboutism, habibi:

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    If your only argument starts with "What about...", you don't have any.

You don't border them, your trade with them is miniscule, all you use them for is to recycle outdated arms to pass "loaned" money back to your MIC.
    We... do? You know Ukraine has borders with NATO as well, right? And Russia isn't the only country with historical and cultural ties to it? Also, all that isn't actually important, since Ukraine is its own country that has a right to be independent and chose whoever it wishes to deal with?

At this point you're just quoting Metal Gear Rising, arent you.

Nonsense. In reality what would happen is you lose them all, and Ukraine stays Ukraine. Your nonsensical bluff about suicide cult doesn't phase me.

You know, and in the minor case you're really so collectively stupid as a nation to go full suicide cult; then by all means. Then at least the world is free of your terrorism, rather than having to put up with it constantly for god knows how many generations to come.
    Last edited by Azadina; 2022-03-28 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Nonsense. In reality what would happen is you lose them all, and Ukraine stays Ukraine. Your nonsensical bluff about suicide cult doesn't phase me.
    Good thing you aren't making decisions.

So far cooler heads that actually understand consequences of such move prevail.

How is this not a banable thinly veiled threat of violence?

The world huh?
    You mean "your world."

We... do? You know Ukraine has borders with NATO as well, right? And Russia isn't the only country with historical and cultural ties to it?
    Centuries of history compared with... ten? Twenty?

Also, all that isn't actually important, since Ukraine is its own country that has a right to be independent and chose whoever it wishes to deal with?
    And so does Russia. Refer back to Melian dialogue upthread.

You still angry, we are trying to stop having a problem with gay people?
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

Good thing you aren't making decisions.

So far cooler heads that actually understand consequences of such move prevail.
    Good for Russia that is, enjoy it while it lasts. At some point people will collectively get tired of dealing with the same shit all the time, and simply call that nonsensical bluff you drum at every chance. Maybe then you'll sit back down to the table and act like human beings instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    How is this not a banable thinly veiled threat of violence?
    Because it's nonsense, and the only nonsense Russia drums up all the time.