10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "Another said a soldier sent to work alongside them in the facility ‘did not have a clue’ about the notorious explosion at the plant, one of the world’s worst nuclear disasters. He said: ‘When they were asked if they knew about the 1986 catastrophe, the explosion of the fourth block (of the Chernobyl plant), they did not have a clue. ‘They had no idea what kind of a facility they were at. We talked to regular soldiers. All we heard from them was, “It’s critically important infrastructure”. That was it.’"

Jesus christ. This is why history education is kind of important, y'all.
    Is it surprising that Russia would simply not teach Chernobyl though?

Or at least fail to really mention and linger on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/31/chern...ning-16377485/

All I can say is NO FUCKING DUH. Unless you are equipped with the proper gear, they were going to get that poisoning eventually. I know Putin is known for poisoning people with polonium, but jesus fucking christ, now he is killing is own loyal troops with an area that no one wanted. Apparently they are taking them by the bus load to Belarus because they are getting sick with radiation sickness.
    They won't count as killed in action when they die now, so no government payout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    You should not wish radiation poisoning on your worst enemy.
    Better them than us is a good saying.
    And dont forget who is threatening with nuclear weapons.
    Yes it suck the troops are more than likely barely 20-25y old with a poor education from mostly rural places not very informed of the purpose of the war and war crimes.

Still they decided not to refuse orders or are willing to invade a sovereign nation.
    I say Fuck 'em
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Is it surprising that Russia would simply not teach Chernobyl though?

Or at least fail to really mention and linger on it?
    They still teach that WW2 conveniently started in 1941 when axis attacked Soviet Union. What do you expect.

Russian secondary objective looks completed, Ukraine’s defense industry is completely annihilated.

I'm not sure these radiation poisoning stories are all that legit. the exposure is surely too low for acute radiation sickness

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    Russian secondary objective looks completed, Ukraine’s defense industry is completely annihilated.

I'm not sure these radiation poisoning stories are all that legit. the exposure is surely too low for acute radiation sickness
    Environmental risks on the ground in Chernobyl
    The Chernobyl exclusion zone is among the most radioactively contaminated regions on the planet. Thousands of acres surrounding the reactor site have ambient radiation dose rates exceeding typical background levels by thousands of times. In parts of the so-called Red Forest near the power plant it's possible to receive a dangerous radiation dose in just a few days of exposure.
    Russian troops been there for weeks by now. Details of how many and how long we dont know but I dont see a reason to go through the hassle of deploying troops and rotate them out within 24h.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Better them than us is a good saying.
    And dont forget who is threatening with nuclear weapons.
    Yes it suck the troops are more than likely barely 20-25y old with a poor education from mostly rural places not very informed of the purpose of the war and war crimes.

Still they decided not to refuse orders or are willing to invade a sovereign nation.
    I say Fuck 'em
    Such bravado, I am impressed.

Are you familiar with what you can get if you refused to follow orders or get conscripted (if you do not have the right connection) ?

10+ Year Old Account

Are you familiar with what you can get if you refused to follow orders or get conscripted (if you do not have the right connection) ?
    I doubt it. While I have no love currently for Russian conscripts I do try to keep in mind that they don't have much choice. That doesn't absolve them of their actions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I doubt it. While I have no love currently for Russian conscripts I do try to keep in mind that they don't have much choice. That doesn't absolve them of their actions though.
    Obvisously, but saying they have a choice is stupid.

Still ? And what is your point anyway ?
    Was it too cryptic? They have guns, they can use them if they don't want to go the way of radiation poisoning. Their choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Was it too cryptic? They have guns, they can use them if they don't want to go the way of radiation poisoning. Their choice.
    I asked because I was not sure but I fear I already knew you thought they had a choice.

15+ Year Old Account

And that somehow in the end doesn't come down to the choices that soldier made about his career?
    Sorry but there is a bad part in this war, not two and I rather see the bad one getting fucked than the other.

Then there is the cynical rational of it.
    Higher cost for treatment and harder to explain to the home audience given Kremlin since long boosted about taking back the nuclear armaments in Ukraine.

I asked because I was not sure but I fear I already knew you thought they had a choice.
    Are you one of those "future is predetermined, and there is no free will" type of people?

15+ Year Old Account
    Obvisously, but saying they have a choice is stupid.
    They had more choice than the Ukrainians..

And that somehow in the end doesn't come down to the choices that soldier made about his career?
    Sorry but there is a bad part in this war, not two and I rather see the bad one getting fucked than the other.

Higher cost for treatment and harder to explain to the home audience given Kremlin since long boosted about taking back the nuclear armaments in Ukraine.
    A good chunk of them are conscripts (thus they are not there by choices and it seems Putin conscripted 130000 more). The other are like any other employees, they do what they are told. It is even more true in the army where you can get jail time or firing squad for desobeying. Grow up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Are you one of those "future is predetermined, and there is no free will" type of people?
    Sure, you have a choice. Follow order or go to jail. Great choice right there !

And are you of those people "I would absolutely, if I were in their position, disobey order and desert the army or even better kill my commanding officer" (from being your keyboard) ?

15+ Year Old Account
    A good chunk of them are conscripts (thus they are not there by choices and it seems Putin conscripted 130000 more). The other are like any other employees, they do what they are told. It is even more true in the army where you can get jail time or firing squad for desobeying. Grow up.
    You tell me to grow up with the reasoning you bring?

- - - Updated - - -

And are you of those people "I would absolutely, if I were in their position, disobey order and desert the army or even better kill my commanding officer" (from being your keyboard) ?
    That argument hasn't had any wings since the Nürnberg trials.
    I got no choice, I'm just following orders or I might get jailed or worse.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2022-03-31 at 12:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

They aren't going home to Russia. Probably ever. They were sent to Belarus. Treatment? Laughable. The Emperor's Peace more likely.

BUT before they die! They can all get together and fuel sweet rave parties by just waving their hands! *untz untz untz*
    /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Who said choice has to be between good and bad, or good and better? So far they chose between risk jail and risk dying in war. They chose, and are now irradiated as a result. Now they have yet another choice. Up to them if they pick the worse one yet again or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should not wish radiation poisoning on your worst enemy.
    Agreed.

It's baffling that they wished it on themselves. There can't possibly be a single person in Russia who doesn't know what Chernobyl is or why it's important.

(reads article)

Wow, I had no idea Russian misinformation was a lethal weapon. I hope (but doubt) the information about Russian soldiers/conscripts being sent back home in lead-lined ambulances spreads through Russia. That thing Putin did to kill a political rival? He's now doing it on "loyal" Russians, whose only crime was listening to Putin and following his orders.

One of those choices makes you commit war crimes, the other not. If not committing war crimes is something you think is a good idea the choice is obvious.