15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/...slaught-a77159 (The Moscow Times is a reputable publication, despite the name, it had recently been forced to relocate its operations to the Netherlands).

I just don't fucking understand Russians. Or, I truly fail to grasp just how phenomenally successful Russian domestic propaganda is.
    They are deprived of news or information and while the sanctions hurt the rubel it is artificially held up to a large extent for the moment.
    More time need to pass for all the shit to trickle down, more neigbhours saying they have a son or son of friends they dont hear from. Prices to soar, products and services unavailable etc.
    Once that happen the initial burst of patriotic misplaced euophoria among many will die down and the reality will sink in, that Russia will face CCCP harsh times for an unforeseeable future regardless if the Russian atrocities gets Putler what he wants or not.

Pariah
    Last edited by Bakis; 2022-03-31 at 02:35 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/...slaught-a77159 (The Moscow Times is a reputable publication, despite the name, it had recently been forced to relocate its operations to the Netherlands).

I just don't fucking understand Russians. Or, I truly fail to grasp just how phenomenally successful Russian domestic propaganda is.
    What if I say both ? I am not surprised by those results. Russian have always been fond of a providential leader which is Putin in their eyes. Through propaganda, they think they are putting the West on their knees and that they are truly freeing Ukraine from Nazis. That is how it is over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    That would imply the soldiers themselves are without a grain of moral understanding. Carpet shell entire towns should bring up an ounce of thought process of soldiers viewing it in their binoculars or entering the premise.
    Just maybe 100% of the buildings are not filled with neo-nazis after all.
    That is idealism. Of course they have a sense of right and wrong. But they, like most people, will tend to do what's in their self interest, particularly when the consequences of doing the bad thing might not happen for a long time if at all, and the consequences of doing the good thing might be severe and immediate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    That is idealism. Of course they have a sense of right and wrong. But they, like most people, will tend to do what's in their self interest, particularly when the consequences of doing the bad thing might not happen for a long time if at all, and the consequences of doing the good thing might be severe and immediate.
    And the military is known for their training being so open minded about right and wrong, thinking for yourself, and how important human lives are.

In the US you disobey an order, suffer punishment, and HOPE you are vindicated in the long run IF you can prove the order was unlawful in a system set up to protect the REMFs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it is dangerous to say you don't support the government people can be dishonest. I have no doubt a large proportion of Russians support Putin, but I have equally no doubt a large proportion doesn't dare to say they don't support the government.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    you aren't going to jail for deserting on or defying Putin. We're talking about a man who has murdered millions single-handedly
    Single handedly?

He personally killed millions without assistance?

That sounds unlikely (not impossible, just not very likely)

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Single handedly? He personally killed millions without assistance? That sounds unlikely (not impossible, just not very likely)
    Yea...he strangled all of them...with his bare hands! Quite the overachiever. /joking

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Single handedly?

He personally killed millions without assistance?

That sounds unlikely (not impossible, just not very likely)
    Of course he has assistance, but he is always the one handing the orders. People have to stop assuming anyone has power over Putin in his fiefdom. He is the singular authority. Everyone fears him, hence why his cronies lie out the ass to him.

Just look at what he's done his entire life if you doubt how many people he has murdered. He's probably as evil as Hitler, and undoubtedly worse than Stalin by now.

AND AFTER ALL THIS, on social media, if you even SUGGEST he deserves to die, you are vilified, even subtly like Biden did. That's INSANITY.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Just look at what he's done his entire life if you doubt how many people he has murdered. He's probably as evil as Hitler, and undoubtedly worse than Stalin by now.
    You've slept through all of your history lessons, right?

AND AFTER ALL THIS, on social media, if you even SUGGEST he deserves to die, you are vilified, even subtly like Biden did. That's INSANITY.
    You're no better than him if you think violence is the answer.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2022-03-31 at 03:06 PM.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before...

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ne-2022-03-31/

Russia drafts 134,500 conscripts but says they won't go to Ukraine
    While these troops might not go to Ukraine (Press X to doubt), they will probably replace already enlisted troops that will be sent to Ukraine.

Putin is flip-flopping all over the place.

First he said gas had to be paid for in roubles. When the customers said nope, breach of contract, he said okay, you can pay in Euros. Today he changed his mind again saying that from April 1 all gas must be paid for in rubles again or supply will stop. There is an april fools joke in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

First he said gas had to be paid for in roubles. When the customers said nope, breach of contract, he said okay, you can pay in Euros. Today he changed his mind again saying that from April 1 all gas must be paid for in rubles again or supply will stop. There is an april fools joke in there somewhere.
    Nobody cares what Putin wants. Those contracts will be paid for in euros/dollars, they just will be converted to roubles by the gazprom-bank.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before...

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ne-2022-03-31/

While these troops might not go to Ukraine (Press X to doubt), they will probably replace already enlisted troops that will be sent to Ukraine.
    There've sent pretty much all of their combat capable troops already. There aren't a whole lot left they can scrape together anyway and the conscripts have zero training or skills to start with. It'll take a few weeks before they are capable of doing anything useful anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account

We have always been at war with Eastasia Eurasia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    There've sent pretty much all of their combat capable troops already. There aren't a whole lot left they can scrape together anyway and the conscripts have zero training or skills to start with. It'll take a few weeks before they are capable of doing anything useful anywhere.
    I think some Russian with appropriate knowledge said in the article they couldn't be deployed into a combat situation until after several months, so that would be june-august at the earliest. But who knows. What is sure is that, as you say, they can't be sent in completely raw, plus they won't all be conscripted at the same time.

I think it's generally people in the west do phenomenally underestimate how well propaganda truly works. While sure from the outside we can go "Why the fuck are you believing this.". When the news channel you watch drums to the same beat over and over, with others following the same rhythm. It's pretty much guaranteed to work, otherwise dictatorships wouldn't have been doing it for thousands of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If people in the west are unaware of how well propaganda works they haven’t been paying attention to US politics for a decade+.
    You can call whatever you want Foxnews (which is not government sponsored), but it is not up to par with true government propaganda like in Russia or China. And in the US, you still can get access to others sources of news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If people in the west are unaware of how well propaganda works they haven’t been paying attention to US politics for a decade+.
    "There are Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

It's basically like this...

EU - Do you want money? We'll give you Euros.
    Putin - Ok. But next time you pay in Rubles.
    Putin - Ok. But next time you pay in Rubles.
    Putin - Ok. But next time you will totally have to pay in Rubles.
    EU - Are you sure about that? We heard the Arabs really like Euros.
    Putin - Ok. I'll take Euros.

I swear, Putin has clearly not been paying attention to the Brexit negotiations.