Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    You've slept through all of your history lessons, right?
    They most certainly slept through lessons dealing with years starting 1945 up to 1992

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Putin is flip-flopping all over the place.
    I think that’s why shalcker’s mask finally fell and he started rambling ideological nonsense about how the hegemony of the west was going to brought low and Russia had everything under control and Ukraine was their plaything, instead of his usual circular whataboutism that never really arrives at any particular point beyond pushing plausible Russia moral deniability:

Putin kept flip-flipping on his promises (we’re not invading, we’re just conducting a military exercise, we are invading, don’t call it a war, Russia isn’t bombing civilians, Russia is letting civilians leave, Russia isn’t letting civilians leave but that’s because they’re actually soldiers, Russian losses haven’t been heavy, maybe losses have been heavy but they can rebuild the equipment, all countries will pay in roubles, etc) that the narrative changed so quickly, so rapidly, and was managed so poorly that his usual annoying schtick of whataboutism pablum couldn’t find a single foot to stand on before Putin yanked it out from underneath him… repeatedly.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought YUPPIE was going to remain silent? It lasted 12 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    I thought YUPPIE was going to remain silent? It lasted 12 hours...
    YuPPIE flip flops more than Putin

We'll see what happens come April. If they do pay in rubles, then they are essentially breaking their own sanctions because they will have to trade currency with the CBR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically the MMOC version of the TikTok Warlord. Desperately craves attention.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Wasn't Zelensky himslef caught in the Panama Papers?
    Quite the opposite, it was his opponent, the previous president - arguably more capable but corrupt oligarch. In part Zelensky won the elections because of Poroshenko's corruption accusations.

Because Ukraine is so poor and ruined now, they will benefit from highly motivated cheap workforce after the invasion, making Ukraine a good place to invest into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    Quite the opposite, it was his opponent, the previous president - arguably more capable but corrupt oligarch. In part Zelensky won the elections because of Poroshenko's corruption accusations.

Because Ukraine is so poor and ruined now, they will benefit from highly motivated cheap workforce after the invasion, making Ukraine a good place to invest into.
    At least until Russia decides to remove their excess human inventory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

So...Putin ordering draft of 135,000

More dead bodies to be sent back.

Issues with logistics? Just throw more men at the problem. It's not like these men will need feeding, uniforms, supplies. If this was HoI4 it will be attrition losses to the insanity.

Biden will announce the release of 1 million barrels of oil a day for the next six months from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

He is also planning to call on Congress to pass a sweeping “use it or lose it” provision intended to prevent oil and gas drillers from sitting indefinitely on federal leases without producing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Biden will announce the release of 1 million barrels of oil a day for the next six months from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

He is also planning to call on Congress to pass a sweeping “use it or lose it” provision intended to prevent oil and gas drillers from sitting indefinitely on federal leases without producing
    -But...but...what we need is more Arctic drilling and Keystone XL.

Republicans probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    That argument hasn't had any wings since the Nürnberg trials.
    I got no choice, I'm just following orders or I might get jailed or worse.
    Regular soldiers weren't tried at the Nuremberg trials, only some mid- but mostly high-level officers.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

So Russia is gonna force to pay in roubles for gas. Let's be realistic - Europe will pay, Germany absolutely has no option not to, but there are still questions how exactly will that work. Who knows, Putler might backtrack and say he meant new contracts.

Looks like Ukraine tried to evacuate some people out of Mariupol via helis and one is confirmed shot down with some 15 dead people plus couple survivors. Questions are who, exactly, were the evacuees? Just wounded soldiers (as can be seen by bodies in fatigues with dressed wounds) or actually military leadership? The survivors are talking about wounded fighters, but POWs will say anything.
    Unconfirmed about 2 other helis downed, but this gives credence to the previous rumours that Ukraine has attempted this before. And, possibly, if second heli is not confirmed and POW did not lie too much - then 3-4 other helis succeeded - overall win.

From Ru internet - almost open recruiting has started for the war - so this means all the volunteers + PMC's who were denied before can now go and fight on Russia's side.

As per Arestovich (presidental adviser) - Ukraine's military industry has been destroyed. Has to be noted that sources seem shaky and it has been well known for years that Arestovich really really loves to bullshit. Well, we do know that at least a good part of companies are indeed dust now anyway.

@Eugenik
    Just for you - https://twitter.com/realGonzaloLira/...64729286291459

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    I think it's generally people in the west do phenomenally underestimate how well propaganda truly works. While sure from the outside we can go "Why the fuck are you believing this.". When the news channel you watch drums to the same beat over and over, with others following the same rhythm. It's pretty much guaranteed to work, otherwise dictatorships wouldn't have been doing it for thousands of years.
    As proven with 2016 elections. West is vulnerable to it

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    So...Putin ordering draft of 135,000[/url]

More dead bodies to be sent back.
    You do understand that this draft is special only in the context of ongoing war? They have mandatory draft, it happens yearly at the same time. Timing, of course, is not great, but regardless it would take months before draftees are ready and useful. I doubt anyone thinks war will be ongoing after 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynep View Post
    With Western money, obviously. Times change, welcome to the new world order.

Economists will correct me if I'm wrong - Covid relief created too much money and worsened the inflation, especially in USA, and Russian invasion is creating an efficient way to drain some of this redundant money into Ukrainian war effort, and in future "Marshall plan" equivalent, which will help stabilize Western economies. Putin helped the Biden administration with his war, ironically.

Will some of it get embezzled? Zelensky promised to fight corruption, we'll see.
    I really doubt about West and the revival of Ukraine's military industry, at least up to a certain point.
    You do realize that you are talking about the so called "most corrupt country in Europe"? Some WILL be embezzled. Zelensky might be a Jesus reborn, but he still cannot fix everything.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Regular soldiers weren't tried at the Nuremberg trials, only some mid- but mostly high-level officers.
    Plenty of guards and regulars etc were tried in various other courts. The Nuremberg trials weren't the only Nazi warcrimes trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    So Russia is gonna force to pay in roubles for gas. Let's be realistic - Europe will pay, Germany absolutely has no option not to, but there are still questions how exactly will that work. Who knows, Putler might backtrack and say he meant new contracts.
    I still remember negative gas prices, and the structural reasons around them. You apparently don't. Remember, one of the reasons was that after shutting down production at a well head, it's often impossible to start them back up again, even with western tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Apparently the US consumes 20 million barrels of oil a day so I guess a 5% boost will help a little. Hopefully we don't get hit with another unpredictable crisis where we really needed the strategic reserve. I think it'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    -But...but...what we need is more Arctic drilling and Keystone XL.
    Yes we need to maximize energy production while moving away from Russian fossil fuel.
    Last edited by PC2; 2022-03-31 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Apparently the US consumes 20 million barrels of oil a day so I geuss a 5% boost will help a little. Hopefully we don't get hit with another unpredictable crisis where we really needed the strategic reserve. I think it'll be fine.

Yes we need to maximize energy production while moving away from Russian fossil fuel.
    And destroy more of the environment while you are at it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I still remember negative gas prices, and the structural reasons around them. You apparently don't. Remember, one of the reasons was that after shutting down production at a well head, it's often impossible to start them back up again, even with western tech.
    Ok, your answer is kinda confusing. ELI5 what you meant?