1. #15221
    Interesting read by an expert on such matters - short of actually calling it a war and declaring mobilisation, Russia is pretty much tapped out of available manpower. What they have now is about all they can get. They have the gear, despite loosing 30 battalions worth already, but not the manpower. Ukraine might have the opposite concern - they have the manpower but not the gear.

  2. #15222
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Blah blah... always Germany. Because we're the only country on this planet that matters. In case you haven't gotten with the program, we're not interested in being the shiny beacon of all that is holy and everyone looking to us is making us uncomfortable and makes bastards like me go "If you wanted us to fix your problems for you, you probably should let us have your country next time... :P"
    Bastards like me might answer: next time successfully deal with the Ruskies, and we'll talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

    Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

  3. #15223
    The Lightbringer Cerilis's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    This is horrific - Russian state media RIA Novosti published an article called What Russia should do with Ukraine. Basically an open call by the Russia state for genocide and ethnic cleansing. They aren't even trying to hide it anymore.
    I don't like how they arranged the black and red flag next to the yellow part. Is this some kind of subtle message or stirring? *eyes*

  4. #15224
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    This is horrific - Russian state media RIA Novosti published an article called What Russia should do with Ukraine. Basically an open call by the Russia state for genocide and ethnic cleansing. They aren't even trying to hide it anymore.
    Question for me is now: Where's all the russian shills from this thread? Surely they are not all banned. They avoiding confrontation about the war crimes now with ever-clearing proof? They got finally (hopefully) cut from worldwide internet?

    In case their kind return here, I am oh so curious about what justifications and handwaving they got about all this.

  5. #15225
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    22,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    This is horrific - Russian state media RIA Novosti published an article called What Russia should do with Ukraine. Basically an open call by the Russia state for genocide and ethnic cleansing. They aren't even trying to hide it anymore.
    Should I ping a certain someone that said we didn't rEaLlY hAvE pRoOf that by "denazification" they meant the entirety of the Ukrainian government and that Russia's goals from the get go were to simply conquer and subdue Ukraine?

  6. #15226
    Immortal Poopymonster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    7,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    All Ukrainians who defend their nation are responsible for the genocide of the Russian people? That’s some wild projection considering what Russia has been up to un Ukraine.
    If they had just given up, surrendered, and not fought, there would have been no genocide, or at least no one would have known about the genocide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok


    If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

  7. #15227
    So Russians literally just renamed "Lebensraum" into "denazification".

    "Best" bit is that they don't even bother with specifically defining what a Nazi is, but rather it's a lose term for "not Russian as Russian is defined by the Kremlin".

  8. #15228
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    So Russians literally just renamed "Lebensraum" into "denazification".

    "Best" bit is that they don't even bother with specifically defining what a Nazi is, but rather it's a lose term for "not Russian as Russian is defined by the Kremlin".
    Aka "Non Aryan". They're just going 1 : 1 full Nazi Germany apparently. Fire up the Kremas next I guess? They've already been taking hostages and herding them to concentration camps as is. When those turn into death camps, well, anyones guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

    Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

  9. #15229
    Over 9000! zealo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Interesting read by an expert on such matters - short of actually calling it a war and declaring mobilisation, Russia is pretty much tapped out of available manpower. What they have now is about all they can get. They have the gear, despite loosing 30 battalions worth already, but not the manpower. Ukraine might have the opposite concern - they have the manpower but not the gear.
    Russia is only taped out on manpower so long as they’re unwilling to call this what it is to their own people.

    If they do that and start drafting, having enough bodies to put in uniforms shouldn’t be a concern, they’ve got a population of some 144 millions to draw from.

  10. #15230
    Immortal Poopymonster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    7,260
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Russia is only taped out on manpower so long as they’re unwilling to call this what it is to their own people.

    If they do that and start drafting, having enough bodies to put in uniforms shouldn’t be a concern, they’ve got a population of some 144 millions to draw from.
    Even conscripts need some training or all you have is

    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok


    If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

  11. #15231
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,934
    "Geee Mr Putin, what should we do to soften the international reaction?"

    "It's obvious. Genocide!"
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  12. #15232
    Over 9000! zealo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Even conscripts need some training or all you have is

    [video=youtube;AQnEBSwdAXw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQnEBSwdAXw[video]
    Russia conscripts people in batches for military training on a regular basis already.

    They have people in their reserves in serviceable age groups with training, but accessing that requires a political choice that runs contrary to their internal propaganda up until now.

  13. #15233
    Elemental Lord Makabreska's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    8,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Question for me is now: Where's all the russian shills from this thread? Surely they are not all banned. They avoiding confrontation about the war crimes now with ever-clearing proof? They got finally (hopefully) cut from worldwide internet?

    In case their kind return here, I am oh so curious about what justifications and handwaving they got about all this.
    Worry not, they wont be discouraged.

    "There is no bodies."

    "There is not THAT much bodies."

    "These bodies are enemy combatants."

    "They were all nazis."

    etc.

    You just wait when Shilker comes back from vaycay.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-04-04 at 02:27 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  14. #15234
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Russia is only taped out on manpower so long as they’re unwilling to call this what it is to their own people.

    If they do that and start drafting, having enough bodies to put in uniforms shouldn’t be a concern, they’ve got a population of some 144 millions to draw from.
    Conscripts lose massive value in an offensive war compared to a defensive one.

    Its one thing to be called up to and die to defend your country, house and family. Its another to be cannonfodder in another country. Desertion numbers would be through the absolute roof.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  15. #15235
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,305
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    They have people in their reserves in serviceable age groups with training, but accessing that requires a political choice that runs contrary to their internal propaganda up until now.
    Just so we're clear, you're saying Russia can't call them up without admitting they're fighting a war and they're losing, right?

  16. #15236
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Bastards like me might answer: next time successfully deal with the Ruskies, and we'll talk.
    Dude, I was joking. We're very happy not being the bastards. So lay off and go find another scapegoat. :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  17. #15237
    Over 9000! Santti's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    9,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Question for me is now: Where's all the russian shills from this thread? Surely they are not all banned. They avoiding confrontation about the war crimes now with ever-clearing proof? They got finally (hopefully) cut from worldwide internet?

    In case their kind return here, I am oh so curious about what justifications and handwaving they got about all this.
    They are pretty much fake news'ing it, and having the cast-iron balls to demand an investigation, while blaming "the west" and Ukraine for it. That there were no violence during Russian occupation.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

  18. #15238
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Worry not, they wont be discouraged.

    "There is no bodies."

    "There is not THAT much bodies."

    "These bodies are enemy combatants."

    "They were all nazis."

    etc.

    You just wait when Shilker comes back from vaycay.
    He is already active despite the ban, last activity today, and it's been a week since he last posted...Doom approaches.

  19. #15239
    Immortal Poopymonster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    7,260
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Russia conscripts people in batches for military training on a regular basis already.

    They have people in their reserves in serviceable age groups with training, but accessing that requires a political choice that runs contrary to their internal propaganda up until now.
    A group just got swept up recently. But the new recruits aren't ready to not stand in the fire for a bit.
    Those who just came back to the game, asking what expac we're on "Warlord of Russia? Kyiv raid? We're gathering in Belgorod next to the exploded depot?", and throwing them into heroic right off the bat still requires time to catch up.
    Given the stiff resistance in Ukraine, there will be a steep learning curve for all fodder. Almost like a cliff. Many will fall off.

    "Well, we need a fourth wave of troops." What about the first three? "Well, the first wave deserted after being blown the fuck up. The second made made progress then retreated after they fell over the corpses left by the first wavers who didn't desert. The third? According to Instagram they're in...Poland seeking asylum?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok


    If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

  20. #15240
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    This is horrific - Russian state media RIA Novosti published an article called What Russia should do with Ukraine. Basically an open call by the Russia state for genocide and ethnic cleansing. They aren't even trying to hide it anymore.
    First, you're right, that's horrifying. Bear in mind, this is still Putin saying it. The news organizations are just saying what Putin tells them to avoid a five-story fall onto food poisoning.

    But second, it points to the absolute desperation Putin has with trying, and failing, to control the narrative. Putin called the mass graves fake news.

    On Monday, Russian officials denied civilians were killed in Bucha. The Russian defense ministry claimed the gruesome scenes in Bucha were faked by Ukrainian forces as a "provocation." It has become a common refrain from Moscow, issued after previous alleged atrocities came to light in this war, and during Russia's long involvement in Syria's brutal civil war.

    Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov dismissed the reports of what he called a "fake attack" in Bucha and said Russia was demanding "an urgent meeting of the Security Council on this particular issue because we see such provocations as a direct threat to international peace and security."
    Let's leave alone that nothing Russia says on the matter should be taken at face value, or even ass value. Let's give this claim the respect it doesn't deserve and examine it for a moment. Ukraine is faking a mass grave of civilians to make Russia look bad.

    Why?

    Again, even ignoring the credibility gap between "Russia" and "literally anyone else on the planet", what benefit does Ukraine get by faking a mass grave in a city Ukraine knows is being watched by satelite? It's objectively known Russia was there, it's objectively known Russia was firing basically at random. Also, in what world would Ukraine say "Man, I hope Russia attacks a town but doesn't kill any civilians somehow, then we can make a fake mass grave to turn the world against them!" That's not 4D chess, that's time-travelling orcs level of stupid. And they practiced it how? Don't tell me they knew how to make a convincing mass grave visible from fucking orbit on their first try.

    Fortunately for one and all, there's an easy tiebreaker. Just let the UN come take a look. If Ukraine refuses, we know it's fake.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    "Well, the first wave deserted after being blown the fuck up. The second made made progress then retreated after they fell over the corpses left by the first wavers who didn't desert. The third? "
    That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp!

    Actually...that's fairly close, isn't it?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I kinda wonder if the Russian MoD is still pushing the "it's all going according to plan" line for the Russian people. Considering the embargo on actual facts coming into Russia at the moment, they likely are.
    I hope not.

    One, once a people have access to information from the outside world, and can see the disparity in information, they don't magically forget like a goldfish when you cut the outside world off again.

    Two, there is still word of mouth. There are thousands upon thousands of Russians whose husband, father, or son isn't coming back. A far larger number are coming back wounded, some with Chernobyl in their lungs which is a slow and horrifying way to die. And some are just deserting out of self-preservation, low morale, or fear of being Ukraine'd to death. This word of mouth will spread. The question is how far and how fast.

    Three, it's hard to call this "business as usual" when the civilians at home are seeing the dictator steps Putin is taking to keep Russia from collapsing, and seeing businesses locked up overnight. The newest war crimes by Russia will increase EU sanctions even more, and I'm not even sure how that's possible barring oil or gas. (I continue to handwave any unsupported ideas that the EU will be destroyed by lack of Russian trade, but Russia magically survives, if that was possible Russia would have done it by now) Putin might tell people that the West is responsible for these unprovoked cruel moves, and some might even believe that, but it's hard to believe it's "part of the plan" when Russia had to block bank withdrawls and MOEX trading, yet doesn't have anything for their spiking unemployment rate.

    You're right they're only being fed a narrow story made mostly of lies. I'm just not convinced Russia actually believes them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •