10+ Year Old Account
    One thing for certain is that if the massacres in places like Bucha were supposed to demoralize Ukraine, it's probably going to have the opposite effect, strengthening their resolve and further entrenching a hatred of Russia among Ukrainians for at least the next few generations.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    One thing for certain is that if the massacres in places like Bucha were supposed to demoralize Ukraine, it's probably going to have the opposite effect, strengthening their resolve and further entrenching a hatred of Russia among Ukrainians for at least the next few generations.
    Yeah, if Russia's goals were to:

1) Terrorize Ukraine into a state of subservience.
    2) Scare other neighboring countries away from thoughts of joining NATO, lest they incur Russia's wrath, and
    3) Exert their control over the west via economic dependencies

I'd say they resoundingly failed in all three goals, and show zero signs of progressing in any of them.

I said it pretty early on, but it's only becoming more and more apparent. It's as if Russia looked at the US' tenure in Vietnam and the middle east and said "what if we did that same thing but with vastly flimsier excuses, with vastly less planning, with a military vastly less capable, and with an economy vastly more fragile?"

The US' plans in the two previously mentioned theaters obviously failed in the long term, but Russia failed basically from the jump.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    They have no moral center, so they'll go where the money is.

I'm sure, like many right-wing useful stooges, that he had some form of income that worked its way in from Russia, so he was doing his best to keep that line of cash flow open as best as he could narratively. That, however, swiftly failed, so now he (like Trump) will probably try and walk it back as much as possible. Eventually it'll be the same "I've always hated Russia, no one has been tougher on Russia than me."
    you ever hear richard spencers shouting rage fit? When i look at a carson or any of the scum that carry water for mass murderers i think of it.

Its not just 'we want money' its a fundamental part of their ideology. They can also hate russia while still having the same characteristics. (look at the nexus of brexiteers, trump, orban, putin etc.) Some may not like eachother but they share the same worldview and politics.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Shalcker isn't who I am talking about. It's Mr. "Fog of War" that I am talking about.
    Seems like he only posts when the Russian army has some sort of achievement he can play up, or the Ukrainians have ones he can downplay. And in the last few days the only news involves Russian retreat and war crimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    you ever hear richard spencers shouting rage fit? When i look at a carson or any of the scum that carry water for mass murderers i think of it.

Its not just 'we want money' its a fundamental part of their ideology. They can also hate russia while still having the same characteristics. (look at the nexus of brexiteers, trump, orban, putin etc.) Some may not like eachother but they share the same worldview and politics.
    At that point it's not that they denounce the methods these people use, it's that they denounce that they're not them.

I'm sure there are people out there who would love it if a president (whom they voted for) had the ability to just arrest/disappear people who protest police violence or who crusade for civil rights or other liberal interests, a la Putin. Trump tried to do that very thing in Portland with unmarked federal agents.

Their current consternation with Russia comes not from the fact that Putin does these things or acts that way, but from the simple fact that he isn't them, and he isn't their glorious leader.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post

Yep.

Carlson has frozen TV dinner money. The hate and malice are for fun. And white supremacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

I will agree, what Carlson said isn't treason. He's not siding with an enemy of America, against America. He's siding with an enemy of America, against Ukraine. He's not a traitor...not for this anyhow...he's just a racist asshole doing personal sponsorships of vodka-flavored cum.
    Even if it was...He'd spin is as "I'm not siding with Russia against America. I'm siding with Putin against Biden. Biden's the one that hates America...So by supporting Russia...I'm actually supporting "The Real America"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    How the fuck did this happen? I mean I pretty much know, but... how?
    It's so depressing to think about how all this is basically happening because of the imperialistic delusions of one man.

There are a lot of people enabling Putin, but this war is entirely his decision. Russians didn't ask for this. No one in Russia is gaining anything from this. Russia wasn't in danger. Putin's justifications for the invasion are utterly idiotic bullshit.
    Now millions are going through hell, Ukraine lies in ruins, Russia wrecked it's economy and international relations, and Russians will be hated for generations. And no end in sight.

And most likely no one will ever face justice for this...
    Last edited by Ryom; 2022-04-05 at 07:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Yep.

Carlson has frozen TV dinner money. The hate and malice are for fun. And white supremacy.
    I mean, it's not like rich fuckwits are ever content with the money they have. You think CEOs who makes 7-8 figures a year in a company that consistently posts record profits need to give themselves a raise while their businesses go understaffed and their employees go underpaid? Of course they don't.

But they do.

They could still live their exact same ultra-comfortable lifestyle and redistribute that money they raised themselves into new employees or raising salaries.

But they don't.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I mean, it's not like rich fuckwits are ever content with the money they have. You think CEOs who makes 7-8 figures a year in a company that consistently posts record profits need to give themselves a raise while their businesses go understaffed and their employees go underpaid? Of course they don't.

But they do.

They could still live their exact same ultra-comfortable lifestyle and redistribute that money they raised themselves into new employees or raising salaries.

But they don't.
    And I’m saying the soulless prick gets off on it.

The US stopped Russia paying bonds from the reserves they have in US banks. That means they'll have to pay with rapidly dwindling internal foreign cash holdings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    And I’m saying the soulless prick gets off on it.
    For the CEOs of less... insidious... companies than places like FOX news who engage in practices like this I imagine it's a simple matter of general apathy, coupled with good ol' fashioned boomerist "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps/you're paid what you're worth/feel lucky you have a job" and a general disconnect on how necessary expenditures like rent in large cities are generally now at least half of a person's entire monthly paycheck.

For the more flatly evil companies (like FOX or specific grifters luck Carlson and his right-wing ilk) it's because they've rightly identified that making people angry is an exceptionally cheap and easy way to make lots of money very fast. You don't need to research anything or seek expert opinions or really even maintain a consistent ideological narrative once you have an enemy to basically just get your audience to focus their hatred on.

To wit, if I'm to give Candace Owens one piece of credit it's that she shrewdly identified this fact and levied her position as a "novelty to the right-wing crowd" in being a conservative black woman to ameliorate any feelings of shame they had in being labeled racists, allowing her to spew whatever partisan hack nonsense she wants.

But this is all sliding off topic. As I noted earlier, as was the case with the NRA and many Trump associates, I'm sure that these crooks have money that trickled into them from Russia, as Russia had correctly identified them as being, like Trump, a deleterious force working within the United States to slowly undermine it.

They likely have noted another trend as well... that the super right-wing branch of the GOP, whom their messaging supports, early-on made the grievous error of cleaving to Russia (likely due to aforementioned previous financial support,) whereas the majority of the United States, on both sides, staunchly supported Ukraine. And this was after these same right-wing pundits had spent years trying to spin some vague implication of impropriety between Biden and/or his son and Ukraine or some nonsense like that.

Basically, they're trying to defuse the messaging bomb they created for themselves by basically saying "you know what? Everyone just look away from all this. Don't think about the previous nice things we said about Russia, whom everyone now hates, and don't think about how we previously slandered Ukraine, who everyone now loves. Russia? Ukraine? Who cares?! Don't worry, we'll have a new conspiracy about a laptop or some nonsense out for you soon."

Which is potent political fodder for the democrats to reap. I was dismayed to see that Americans don't generally approve of Biden's handling of the situation in Ukraine, in that they think he isn't doing enough. (much against what currently-on-vacation turnip farmer seemed to imply when he linked it, implying that Americans didn't want to be involved in Ukraine.) The democrats should really get on top of showing just what sanctions Biden and the other democrats are pushing for; it's incredible political capitol just laying at their feet.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2022-04-05 at 07:08 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    They have no moral center, so they'll go where the money is.

I'm sure, like many right-wing useful stooges, that he had some form of income that worked its way in from Russia, so he was doing his best to keep that line of cash flow open as best as he could narratively. That, however, swiftly failed, so now he (like Trump) will probably try and walk it back as much as possible. Eventually it'll be the same "I've always hated Russia, no one has been tougher on Russia than me."
    Which is why we need to make sure that it's not forgotten that they asked for this. The bodies on the roadway, the rapes, the atrocities... anyone who has said "We need to let Putin do what he wants" has asked for these things to happen. Because that's what happens when Putin does 'what he wants' with a foreign city.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Oddly enough, not FOX News so much. They might be conspiracy-felating racists who love Trump more than their own children, but they're not big fans of Russia.

But of course, they also have a link to Hannity's show where he calls Biden cognatively struggling and ethically compromised. After, you know, backing Trump for six years.
    Tucker is. He is literally on Russian TV more than Putin is.

Get fucked on the irony.
    The Russian Embassy in Ireland is running out of fuel for heating and hot water and is complaining that numerous Irish oil companies have refused to deliver supplies.
    A source said: “The embassy is struggling because no one wants to do business with them as a result of what’s happening in Ukraine. It’s not only some oil companies they’re having issues with, it’s banks too and many more businesses.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snebb View Post
    Perhaps the deliveries were refused because they couldn't find the embassy?

Esquire: Ireland Trolls Russia By Renaming Road of Russian Embassy to 'Independent Ukraine Road'
    Russia is facing sanctions left and right as a result of Vladimir Putin’s Ukrainian invasion. NATO and its global partners are retaliating in many ways, but Ireland, Norway, Latvia, Lithuania, and Albania are taking the passive-aggressive route by renaming entire streets to troll Russian embassies.

In a humorous turn of events, the local community councilors of the Irish town of Dundrum in Dublin have unanimously voted to rename the road where the Russian embassy is located. From “Orwell Road,” the Dublin street might soon be named “Independent Ukraine Road.”

The councilors responsible for the change were inspired by other European countries that are also renaming the roads where their respective Russian embassies are located.

Lithuania is renaming the street leading to their Russian embassy “Ukrainian Heroes Street,” Latvia is renaming theirs to “Independent Ukraine Street,” Norway is renaming theirs to “Ukraine Square,” and Albania is renaming theirs to “Free Ukraine Street.”

You know, just in case the Russian diplomats have any doubts about the rest of Europe’s opinion on their invasion.

(They didn't end up actually changing the name of the road, unfortunately.)

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snebb View Post
    This the same embassy that a guy drove truck into the gates?
    Now they're being refused fuel?
    Isn't Ireland known for whiskey and almost dying from a lack of potatoes?
    Whiskey is quite flammable.
    I'm sure an enterprising group of lads might be willing to share their whiskey with the embassy.
    To keep warm of course.
    Delivered in bottles.
    One or two might have a da who knows how to help.
    Might want to pick their brain for ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Perhaps, Shalcker is banned and cannot share the Kremlin-direct points. So, anyone waiting to give their own "western audience editorial pass" on those points will have to wait for Shalcker to return.
    Aren't there right wingers around ? They love to eat up the dumbest stuff from covid conspiracies to russian propaganda. If its something incredibly stupid that only someone with room temperature iq levels would believe you can always bet on right wingers.