10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Uh, didn't know it worked that way. Pretty weird.

As for Finland, if they decide to set course for NATO membership it's clear that Russia can't stop them. Any amount of posturing will mean little when the... ahem... competence of their standing forces is there for all to see in Ukraine. That said IIRC the NATO acceptance process isn't a wekk long, it takes months at least last I checked. Better to get it started sooner rather than later of course but still.

If NATO is expanded this way, Russia better hope that they capture Ukraine resources and all with as much of the infrastructure intact as is possible. They could only possibly recoup their military and economical loss by claiming their target wholesale which seems extremely unlikely now. And the objective of pushing NATO back will have completely failed no matter what they do now.
    Occupying Ukraine would furthermore be a massive economic sink.

I don’t know if Russians believe that Ukrainians will worship them as saviors and the moment a surrender were to happen everything would settle peacefully, but I think the mass graves and gross and flagrant murder of civilians during their invasion will likely have bred a deep and violent resentment in Ukraine against the Russians, let alone any occupation.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Finlandia WOAT View Post
    It's not replaceable for a long time, as in decades if at all. Mikron's products are 20 years out of date. Russia depended on the West for the latest chips and semiconductors, you're talking decades to replace what they were importing. If it's even possible.
    A lot of modern "secrets" can be stolen - either through internet or physically.

Russia has Russian chip designs - it only lacks low-nm local production.

This is a significantly bigger problem for Russia's economy than the EU trying to replace LNG.
    Try to explain which parts do you think will be most impacted to see how big of a problem it would be compared to 10 trillion investment needed by EU.

...and, well, Taiwan problem can be eventually solved by Chinese takeover.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2022-04-12 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    A lot of modern "secrets" can be stolen - either through internet or physically.

And how will they set up the infrastructure? How will they train their workers? How will they build their machines? How will they acquire supply chains? How will they integrate these new chips into their tech?

This isn't picking Potatoes ffs- it's building one of the most complicated pieces of technology in existence en masse, one Taiwan and China- countries with highly developed economies not sanctioned to hell and back- have problems upping capacity and creating altogether respectively.

But yeah, "espionage". That will solve everything. Seems like magical thinking to me.

The EU can reduce Russian fossil fuel imports to the point they're no longer held hostage by Russia far faster than Russia can build its microchip industry. The former will hurt and take time. I'm not even sure the later is possible.
    Last edited by Finlandia WOAT; 2022-04-12 at 08:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Lmao, that's pathetic. Russia has to steal technology because they're too retarded to innovate.

2. Good luck building foundries without, ironically enough, microprocessors.

If Germany's really making people rage, they should just take a deep breath and count to 100.

Putin VOWS to wage war until he wins. NOTHING else matters now.

As peace talks appeared to break down, Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday pledged to continue the invasion of Ukraine until his country is victorious.

Speaking at a press conference following a meeting with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko at the Vostochny Cosmodrome, located in the far east of Russia, Putin made clear his intentions to continue the conflict in Ukraine, Gazeta.ru reported. He pointed to "inconsistency" on the part of Ukrainian diplomats during recent peace talks as the primary reason.

"True, I was told that last night the Ukrainian side changed something again. I don't know about these changes yet," Putin said during the press conference. "Such inconsistency on fundamental issues creates certain difficulties in reaching final agreements acceptable to everyone on the negotiation track. And until this happens, the military operation will continue until it is fully completed and the tasks that were set at the beginning of this operation are solved."

Multiple rounds of peace talks have been held between Russian and Ukrainian diplomats since the start of the invasion in February, with none yet producing any peace agreements. The most recent round began in Instanbul, Turkey, late last month.

https://www.newsweek.com/putin-vows-...n=Partnerships
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

From what I see I'm geting feeling that some EU countries are dissapointed Russia did not conquer Ukraine in like 5 days so they could negotiate with Putin and keep doing business with him.

15+ Year Old Account
    You realize we simply don't import what we produce locally?

Russian internal pharmacologic production was 1.6 times higher then imports in 2021.
    So you're not even producing 2/3 of what you need?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    From what I see I'm geting feeling that some EU countries are dissapointed Russia did not conquer Ukraine in like 5 days so they could negotiate with Putin and keep doing business with him.
    the germans are the getting the cold shoulder. They made terrible choices regarding energy and now its coming back to bite them. You also have to remember how they told southern eu states to suck up austerity and the hardness caused by it, but now they might have to suffer some consequences they are quick to protect themselves. Hypocritical bastards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    I'd imagine most businesses want this war to end asap, so we can return to normal. We are still dealing with Covid, and now this dumb war fucks things further. It ain't great, but in our capitalistic world, I can't really blame them, or expect them to do differently. Many companies have cut ties with Russia, but I think that's mostly due to the sanctions making business just not possible anymore, rather than them taking any sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...n-mena-balkans

]Food diplomacy’: EU plans to counter Russia in MENA, Balkans
    The EU aims to address rising wheat and fertiliser prices and expected shortages in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and the Balkans with “food diplomacy” to counter Russia’s narrative on the impact of its Ukraine invasion.
    Would you look that Shalcker . The evil EU has some more nefarious plans to help poor countries while still punishing the glorious genocidal Russia.

The glorious genocidal Russia cares more about those poor countries hence the continued bombing of ukrainian wheat storages.
    Last edited by Vorkreist; 2022-04-12 at 09:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    On Finland - it's a mix of posturing and attempt to somehow gather enough Yuppies of their own to force a backtrack on NATO. Russia clearly is in no shape of opening another front, especially not vs a EU state, which would be a whole different ball game there.
    Regarding this, the Finnish news is reporting that the video appears to have been shot during an announced exercise on or around the 5th of April. (the same exercise where a Mig-31 fell from the sky.) However the release of the video may well be part of an intimidation campaign by Russia.

If Sweden and Finland join NATO despite Putin’s 10,000 warnings/death threats not to, what do you people will think will happen when they’re under NATO? Putin will have no power to wage conventional warfare then.

He’ll only have one means left to carry out his threats then.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    If Sweden and Finland join NATO despite Putin’s 10,000 warnings/death threats not to, what do you people will think will happen when they’re under NATO? Putin will have no power to wage conventional warfare then.

Correct.

He will write them a sternly worded letter.

10+ Year Old Account
    what do you people will think will happen when they’re under NATO?
    Checks the poster...

Let me guess - nukes?

Quote Originally Posted by Finlandia WOAT View Post
    Correct.

He will write them a sternly worded letter.
    no, I think after invading Ukraine and murdering up to 100,000+ innocents (and counting), we should not pretend Putin is some kind of Kim Jong Un with empty threats.

It's offensive at this point to think his threats are bluster. We've seen what he is willng to do. The unimaginable horrors unfolding in Ukraine.

So if he threatens anyone the way he has with Finland and Sweden, no one should assume he's going to back down.

I think the most likely outcome is Putin doesn't do jack shit about it. you know, kind of has his hands full with the quagmire he's created in his neighborhood.

no one should assume he's going to back down.
    He's learning from Hollywood -

It's offensive at this point to think his threats are bluster.
    not even a fraction as offensive as this deranged desire you have to be some sort of fucked up oracle.

Russia has Russian chip designs - it only lacks low-nm local production.

Try to explain which parts do you think will be most impacted to see how big of a problem it would be compared to 10 trillion investment needed by EU.

...and, well, Taiwan problem can be eventually solved by Chinese takeover.
    Good luck overcoming that. China is committed to investing 1.4 trillion dollar into their domestic semiconductor industry between 2020 and 2025, and they are currently still mostly producing 90-nm wafers for which they needed US made parts. The so-called low-nm wafer production is exclusive to Taiwan, South Korea and US. Military grade Gallium-based chip manufacturing is strictly the domain of Taiwan and US.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that Russia only has 2 operating fab facilities (in Zelenograd and Voronezh), both operated by Mikron. One dated back to 1959 and produces >900-nm wafers, and the other >90 nm wafers. The second one was built by a German company using German technology. If the Chinese is 3 -4 generations behind Taiwan/US/South Korea when it comes to semiconductor fabrication. It would be very generous to say that Russia is 3 - 4 generations behind China.