10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV...major_general/

It is being reported that Russian Major General Russian Simonov killed near Izyum.

Haha, another one bites the dust. Hopefully it is true.
    Time for a reprise.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    I am the very model of a Russian Major General
    My standing in the battlefield is growing quite untenable
    My forces, though equipped and given orders unequivocal
    Did not expect the fight to be remotely this reciprocal

I used to have a tank brigade but now I have lost several
    My fresh assaults are faltering with battleplans extemporal
    I can't recover vehicles but farmers in a tractor can
    It's all becoming rather reminiscent of Afghanistan

My ordnance is the best but only half my missiles make it there
    I would have thought by now that we would be controllers of the air
    But at the rate the snipers work my time here is ephemeral

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    If I had my way, we would file the application on 9th, just to further rub it in Putin's face.
    The sooner the better in my opinion. Should have applied in 1991, avoid all of this shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had my way, we would file the application on 9th, just to further rub it in Putin's face.
    Or the 8th, just to get a jump on stealing their thunder.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    My standing in the battlefield is growing quite untenable
    My forces, though equipped and given orders unequivocal
    Did not expect the fight to be remotely this reciprocal

I used to have a tank brigade but now I have lost several
    My fresh assaults are faltering with battleplans extemporal
    I can't recover vehicles but farmers in a tractor can
    It's all becoming rather reminiscent of Afghanistan

My ordnance is the best but only half my missiles make it there
    I would have thought by now that we would be controllers of the air
    But at the rate the snipers work my time here is ephemeral
    I somehow missed this the first time around, but it's absolutely fantastic. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Finlandia WOAT View Post
    Anyway, the war: in the East, the Russians have made very modest gains at high cost, at least a good chunk of which were the Ukrainians tactically retreating rather than being defeated. War nerds on Twitter are predicting this will putter out in week or two due to heavy losses, low morale, little gain and a need to stay near supply lines. It seems Trent Telenko's prophecy of doom for the logistical force of the Russian army has come to pass. In any case, it's probably the last major Russian offensive for a while (and the last one until they mobilize their reservists).

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/...13940688912384

Imo, for Ukraine it will then come down whether they want to push and start taking back territory, or get a deal here. Right now the Ukrainians can probably take back Kherson and push Ru back across the river, anything more they need the incoming heavy weapons and incoming troops they mobilized two months ago.
    I question whether Russia declaring an actual war and mobilizing their reserves would actually do anything if the logistics of the Russian army are completely exhausted.
    More bodies rushing forward without support isn't going to break Ukraine.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Don't forget NATO application filing day military parade. Would rub it in twice as hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

A Russian reconnaissance plane briefly violated Sweden’s airspace today (Friday), Swedish defense officials said on Saturday, as the Scandinavian country ponders a bid for NATO membership after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“A Russian AN-30 propeller plane violated Swedish airspace on Friday evening,” the Swedish defense ministry said in a statement, adding that its teams had followed the incident and photographed it.

The ministry said the plane was flying east of Bornholm, a Danish island in the Baltic, before it headed toward Swedish territory.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    A Russian reconnaissance plane briefly violated Sweden’s airspace today (Friday), Swedish defense officials said on Saturday, as the Scandinavian country ponders a bid for NATO membership after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“A Russian AN-30 propeller plane violated Swedish airspace on Friday evening,” the Swedish defense ministry said in a statement, adding that its teams had followed the incident and photographed it.

The ministry said the plane was flying east of Bornholm, a Danish island in the Baltic, before it headed toward Swedish territory.
    I see no point in responding to you, but for anyone else reading, this is not remarkable. Russia does this now and then in a desperate bid to remind the rest of the world that they exist. Swedes are used to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I see no point in responding to you, but for anyone else reading, this is not remarkable. Russia does this now and then in a desperate bid to remind the rest of the world that they exist. Swedes are used to it.
    They do it to everyone. Repeatedly. It hardly ever gets reported widely.

Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2022-04-30 at 11:46 PM.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Good articles to illustrate the point, thanks for linking. This is just business as usual, the world is well aware that Russia doesn't respect the sovereignty of other nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    This is just business as usual.
    so Russia can always just threaten and kill others and the world just treats it as "business" or not be able to do shit about it because of nukes

that's messed up.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Yes, it is just business as usual. Some random plane crosses the invisible line for a few seconds and then they leave as to not anger the fighters. It's nothing to write home about and has been going on for decades. Like... It's non-news.

Only real downside is that they steal our cool moves, like the cobra...
    Last edited by Secret Arcade; 2022-05-01 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regnmoln View Post
    It's non-news.
    it's at the top of reddit right now, actually

but that aside, didn't Turkey once shoot down Russia's little plane for this type of violation in 2020 and also warn Russia of crossing their seas recently? Considering how despotic and evil Erdogan is, at the least I'm surprised he's like this with Putin when Putin has many right-wing ultranationalist allies domestically.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-05-01 at 12:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarV...major_general/

It is being reported that Russian Major General Russian Simonov killed near Izyum.

Haha, another one bites the dust. Hopefully it is true.
    Gee they do sure get some awesome location intel. I wonder if we'll ever know where it comes from

Somehow they had a drone nearby to record the artillery hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    so Russia can always just threaten and kill others and the world just treats it as "business" or not be able to do shit about it because of nukes

that's messed up.
    Flying near to or into another country's airspace is not "just threaten[ing] and kill[ing] others". And it has nothing to do with having nukes.

Other countries do the same thing, just admittedly not as often as Russia does it.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    is not just threaten[ing] and kill[ing] others.
    then why didn't they shoot that shit down today?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's not threatening. It's the Russian equivalent of ding dong ditch. You don't shoot down your 10 year old boy neighbor for that
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2022-05-01 at 12:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    then why didn't they shoot that shit down today?
    Because that's an act of war?

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Because it's not threatening. It's the Russian equivalent of ding dong ditch. You don't shoot down your 10 year old boy neighbor for that
    I mean, in a just world, I would. That damn kid does it way too often.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Because that's an act of war?
    this honestly sounds ridiculous on so many levels. The act of violating air space that way is as a declaration of war, and repeatedly threatening to nuke or invade a country after working on a genocide in progress is a declaration of war. By Russia's twisted logic, applying for NATO is a declaration of war, and Sweden has done just that while ignoring them.

There's no reason this aircraft should have survived here.