1. #18401
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Russian forces in Transnistria have been brought to full combat readiness.

    https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/...19812453863424
    TIL what Transnistria is. Intersting.

  2. #18402
    Herald of the Titans CostinR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    2,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    TIL what Transnistria is. Intersting.
    The soviets did love to mess around with their geographic regions in the USSR creating a great deal of problems further down the road. It's like they look at Sykes-Picot and thought that it was a wonderful idea.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

  3. #18403
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    24,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1518979359817752576

    In which Rand Paul defends Russia's attack because



    Alaska used to be part of Russia, so I guess he'd be fine with them invading Alaska.
    I’d imagine because a number of GOP representatives, think tanks, PACs and general hangers-on have ties to Russian money and these across-the-board popular sanctions against Russia and broad support of Ukraine within the US is complicating them receiving that money.

    Moreover, the democrats have had no chill when it comes to condemning Russia, which could be tremendously politically advantageous for the democrats. And the GOP can’t be having that either.

    So, in essence: “try and make Russia into a complicated gray area where nothing can truly be known and wouldn’t you rather just have lower gas prices?”
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  4. #18404
    Brewmaster Iphie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    The soviets did love to mess around with their geographic regions in the USSR creating a great deal of problems further down the road. It's like they look at Sykes-Picot and thought that it was a wonderful idea.
    Not just the Soviets, I think the Czars did the same, I mean Nicolai II tried to Russify Finland, that, obviously, didn't stick too well.
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-04-26 at 08:19 PM.

  5. #18405
    Elemental Lord PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    8,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Russian forces in Transnistria have been brought to full combat readiness.

    https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/...19812453863424
    So, like... given zip-ties, condoms, and a backhoe?


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  6. #18406
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Russian forces in Transnistria have been brought to full combat readiness.

    https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/...19812453863424
    russia getting battered in Ukraine looks for a smaller kid to bully

  7. #18407
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Welp, Russia suspends Yamal contract with Poland (and prolly wit anyone else using it) on 27th due to no willingness to pay in rubles. So no gas. Lets see who chickens out first.
    I don't think Poland will have a big issue with this. It will hurt a bit, but as far as I understand they did not intend to extend Gazprom contract that ends end of the year anyway.

    I do also think that this, and suspension of gas supplies to Bulgaria now as well, hurts Russia more overall being unreliable energy supplier and all.

    Bulgaria will be more fucked though than Poland.
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.

  8. #18408
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, I was inaccurate in my statement. The fire that burns after the initial blast isn’t sending smoke into the stratosphere though, at least not like that initial blast.
    Pretty much the exact opposite of reality.

    The initial blast doesn't produce much smoke and soot - especially since nuclear weapons are normally airbursts; so the alleged nuclear winter happen due to the secondary fires (how much is unclear - it depends on the available material and other conditions) and the firestorm then sends it up high (assuming there is a firestorm which depends on additional factors). That's why nuclear tests haven't produced anything similar to this effect; the initial blast is similar - but there are no secondary fires.

    If Russia tried this in Ukraine I'm not convinced there is sufficient amount of fuel for a firestorm - but hopefully that will not be put to the test; despite Lavrov's statement. An exception for airbursts weapons would be if Russia tried to tactically nuke the Azov steel works.
    And in both cases I'm a bit unsure how Russia would spin it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Russian forces in Transnistria have been brought to full combat readiness.

    https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/...19812453863424
    I cannot understand the Russian plan with that. Transnistria is landlocked and officially part of Moldovia and borders Ukraine; and current government is pro-EU.

    If Russia tries to attack from Transnistrian without being connected to other Russian forces since Russia haven't taken the southern coast of Ukraine; it seems they will start out as surrounded which seems kind of bad from a tactical point of view.

  9. #18409
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    If Russia tries to attack from Transnistrian without being connected to other Russian forces since Russia haven't taken the southern coast of Ukraine; it seems they will start out as surrounded which seems kind of bad from a tactical point of view.
    It's pretty simple, Ukraine would need to divert forces from East to defend Odessa. It would be a reverse Mariupol situation, where even a small force can keep larger force busy.

    All in all it's strange they did not think of it 2 months ago.
    All my ignores are permanently filtered out and invisible to me. Responding to my posts with nonsense or insults is pointless, you're likely already invisible and if not - 3 clicks away. One ignore is much better than 3 pages of trolling.

  10. #18410
    Brewmaster Iphie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Suomi/Nederland
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It's pretty simple, Ukraine would need to divert forces from East to defend Odessa. It would be a reverse Mariupol situation, where even a small force can keep larger force busy.

    All in all it's strange they did not think of it 2 months ago.
    They probably did, but only now deemed it necessary. Don't forget this was supposed to be long over by now.

  11. #18411
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It's pretty simple, Ukraine would need to divert forces from East to defend Odessa. It would be a reverse Mariupol situation, where even a small force can keep larger force busy.
    That is normally in terms of holding grounds - attacking with about 5,000 man seems "courageous".
    And Transnistria itself cannot know how Moldovia reacts to an attack from Moldovian territory on another country; so why risk it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    All in all it's strange they did not think of it 2 months ago.
    They were probably not considered elite enough to be part of the planned victory parade.

  12. #18412
    Elemental Lord zealo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It's pretty simple, Ukraine would need to divert forces from East to defend Odessa. It would be a reverse Mariupol situation, where even a small force can keep larger force busy.

    All in all it's strange they did not think of it 2 months ago.
    2 months ago Kyiv was supposed to fall in just a couple of days from the Russian perspective, and have a puppet government at minimum installed.

    Obviously that didn’t happen, leading up to where they’re at now.

  13. #18413
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Welp, Russia suspends Yamal contract with Poland (and prolly wit anyone else using it) on 27th due to no willingness to pay in rubles. So no gas. Lets see who chickens out first.
    Russia is sanctioning their own gas? It is my understanding that Poland was not planning on renewing the Yamal contract which will expire the end of this year. Does that mean that they have alternative sources and their gas storage is full? We'll find out.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1518979359817752576

    In which Rand Paul defends Russia's attack because



    Alaska used to be part of Russia, so I guess he'd be fine with them invading Alaska.
    Does that mean they want Fort Ross at Bodega Bay back also?

  14. #18414
    I am Murloc! Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Streets Strange by Moonlight
    Posts
    5,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Russia is sanctioning their own gas? It is my understanding that Poland was not planning on renewing the Yamal contract which will expire the end of this year. Does that mean that they have alternative sources and their gas storage is full? We'll find out.
    IIRC stored amounts would last for 30-40 days. Not sure about all the other sources, but we have an LNG terminal, which are apparently not that common in EU atm.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-04-26 at 09:21 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

  15. #18415
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61237519

    Russia cuts gas pipes for Poland and Bulgaria. Seems like they are desperate!

    Oh and also, Russia sends faked text messages, pretending to be Ukraine, to citizens of Moldova at Transnistria, warning them about coming air strikes (by Ukraine).

    https://www.facebook.com/DefenceInte...99489785695782

    So when enough is enough so we can wipe out this terrorist state, either figuratively or literally?

    Russia is going to air strike civilians just to blame it on Ukraine. In another sovereign country.
    Last edited by Saradain; 2022-04-26 at 10:33 PM.

  16. #18416
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post

    I cannot understand the Russian plan with that. Transnistria is landlocked and officially part of Moldovia and borders Ukraine; and current government is pro-EU.

    If Russia tries to attack from Transnistrian without being connected to other Russian forces since Russia haven't taken the southern coast of Ukraine; it seems they will start out as surrounded which seems kind of bad from a tactical point of view.
    What some people are thinking the plan might be.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/sumlenny/...15244462116868

    I mean it's a dumb plan but the Russians have already done plenty of those.

  17. #18417
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    What some people are thinking the plan might be.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/sumlenny/...15244462116868

    I mean it's a dumb plan but the Russians have already done plenty of those.
    Besarabia is known for bad roads and a number of rivers, creeks and swamps.
    RIP Russian armor and any heavy vehicles.

  18. #18418
    The Unstoppable Force Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    24,258
    It probably has a name Putler like. That is the extent of the logic behind the fck mess so far.
    Ukraine’s government has officially registered the Moskva cruiser wreck on the Black Sea bottom as a national underwater cultural heritage site.

  19. #18419
    We are talking a country here where a czar drew a straight line on a map to show where a railway was to go and the peasants had to build it straight regardless of the terrible terrain it went through.

  20. #18420
    The Unstoppable Force Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    24,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    We are talking a country here where a czar drew a straight line on a map to show where a railway was to go and the peasants had to build it straight regardless of the terrible terrain it went through.
    That is pretty much how Europe did within Europe but most obvious colonial powers so it is not a stupidity limited to Russia.
    Apart from never being able to move forward like the rest of Europe..
    Ukraine’s government has officially registered the Moskva cruiser wreck on the Black Sea bottom as a national underwater cultural heritage site.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •