If the Ukrainians have taken back the airfield (and that is still only an if) then Russia just threw away hundreds of their best soldiers on a highly risky move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    I usually refrain from trying to diagnose people as I'm not a doctor but there is no other way to call Putins paranoia with Ukraine's supposed nuclear weapons development other than, well, paranoia.
    I mean, it could just be another Bush WMD moment where it's a pretext too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    A swift crushing victor is impossible unless Putin wants to have a mission accomplished moment, considering the amount of foreign fire power and financing going into the country. This war will go on for a very long time especially with plenty of nations eager to feed the opposition indirectly.
    I have a feeling that is the point. To have other nations drained, even at the expense of Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Canada? do i win?
    Does "CANR" count?

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Canada?

do i win?
    France, Iceland too. I didn't bother to check every NATO member.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis-GR View Post
    There is no annexation. Don't you even read the news? A peace proposal was just submitted with the requirement that "Ukraine does not join NATO". No annexation.
    A "peace" proposal. What a fucking joke. What's Ukraine's guarantee, especially given that Russia already stole Crimea from them, that there wont be a round 3? Right, none.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    A swift crushing victor is impossible unless Putin wants to have a mission accomplished moment, considering the amount of foreign fire power and financing going into the country. This war will go on for a very long time especially with plenty of nations eager to feed the opposition indirectly.
    He will claim 'victory' once he besieges the capital. I hate citing Iraq because Putin wants to make it seem like this is somehow comparable but the fighting will look similar. The 'war' will be short but actual ground activity is going to be going on for a while. Remember there was already fighting before things became 'official' but now a lot more people have cause to resist Russian occupation and influence all throughout Ukraine.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    I would still like an answer as to what Putin is paying you with: Dollars, rubles or moldy potatoes and rotgut vodka.

Given how worthless the ruble is now thanks to his actions, probably rubles.
    Yes, he pays me with Serkova vodka.

I see you are member since 2010. So in these 10 years, please bring me one post (from YOU) that uses the word "war crime" or similar to describe the military operations in Libya, Syria and the whole MENA region during 2010-2015 that resulted in the death/displacement of millions.

I was a teenager when NATO was using DEPLETED URANIUM BOMBS at Serbia, at the civilian population... and my home town was a few hundred kilometres away from where the bombs were used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, he pays me with Serkova vodka.

I see you are member since 2010. So in these 10 years, please bring me one post (from YOU) that uses the word "war crime" or similar to describe the military operations in Libya, Syria and the whole MENA region during 2010-2015 that resulted in the death/displacement of millions.

I was a teenager when NATO was using DEPLETED URANIUM BOMBS at Serbia, at the civilian population... and my home town was a few hundred kilometres away from where the bombs were used.
    I mean many people here criticize NATO. That doesn't suddenly make this shit better or even on the same level. There are levels and this is a cut above it all.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Oh no, spare a thought for Serbian war criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Does "CANR" count?
    no cause its run by canada and its not a US military base. even the scrambles come from Canadian air force
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Oh, do tell me, what are "depleted uranium bombs"? I really want to know

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm under the impression that Javalins aren't can't simply be reverse engineered (or it would have happened already) for those worried about Russians getting their hands on one.
    IIRC biggest issue is the lack of technological capability to produce the targetting sensor with high enough resolution. Those things uses exotic materials who need high quality of manufacturing equipment. They cannot import anything like that due to sanctions and their whole process of импортозамещение - import replacement - started after 2014 has not managed to cover all bases so far. If you want, you can look into Russian FLIR's and how long it took to start moving away from Catherine (France) optics to something they can call their own.

Software itself should be encrypted well enough and more or less unbreakable.

Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    France, Iceland too. I didn't bother to check every NATO member.
    US still has the semi active Keflavik in iceland.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Seems like thousands of anti-war protesters in Russia are being met with the brutality you'd expect of a fascist regime. 1700 already arrested.

Again.. can you name me ONE country of NATO where the US does not have a military base? They have in ALL of them. That is the whole purpose of NATO, are you kidding me?
    I'll ignore the rest of your HORSESHIT AND LIES AND https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism.

Those bases exist to prevent exactly the fucking thing that Russia is doing right fucking now. It's the only thing that guarantees any degree of safety from Russian psychopaths.

Again. NATO, voluntary alliance. Russia, EMPIRE INVADING AND ANNEXING SHIT. NATO exists to keep Russia at bay. And HOLY FUCK Russia proved how ABSOLUTELY necessary NATO is overnight.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    It's dark now - take literally every single post about some success until the morning with HEAVY grain of salt. No one really will fight in cities at night.
    Most significant post here. The heavy fighting is over until tomorrow morning and likely until noon.

Yeah, 3 updates, but no real proof yet. Would be an important win for Ukraine.
    Is it possible? Absolutely, light infantry without support vs mechanized brigade? Very low chances the longer it goes on. What Russia did was obviously very high risk/high reward attempt.

I have difficulty believing Ukraine's claims as a general rule. They exaggerate things or outright lie.

I think the VDV was sent to secure a runway for Russian transports to bring equipment supplies for their eventual push on Kiev. Did they fail? If so what happened to at least a battalion worth of troops? Because we know Ukraine didn't kill capture them. Did they flee north? Did they lose control of the runway but still maintain some foothold in the area?

We frankly don't know.

Either way today's summary:

- Ukraine military bases were hit across the entire country pretty hard in the early morning by a combination of cruise missiles and regular artillery.
    - Ukraine's air force and air defense capabilities have been significantly reduced or outright destroyed. Pentagon claims Russia has achieved Air Superiority.
    - Neither Russia or Ukraine have deployed the bulk of their ground forces so far. They each have thousands of tanks and armored vehicles deployed and so far we only know of clashes accounting for at most hundreds, if even that.
    - Russia likely was laying groundwork for offensives tomorrow and following days. Pentagon source claims Russia has not deployed their full military capabilities.
    - Kiev held Kharkov, but lost Crimean Canal and Chernobyl. Crimean Canal was lost due to redployment of a tank brigade to the east ( according to militaryland.net ).
    - Russia tried to secure an airport 15 miles from Kiev through an air assault. Reports suggest they were driven out. Uncomfirmed.

Situation is only going to escalate.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2022-02-24 at 10:25 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I'll ignore the rest of your HORSESHIT AND LIES AND https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism.

Those bases exist to prevent exactly the fucking thing that Russia is doing right fucking now. It's the only thing that guarantees any degree of safety from Russian psychopaths.

Again. NATO, voluntary alliance. Russia, EMPIRE INVADING AND ANNEXING SHIT. NATO exists to keep Russia at bay. And HOLY FUCK Russia proved how ABSOLUTELY necessary NATO is overnight.
    and again where exactly is this belief that NATO is going to invade Russia (fucking lol) have any basis in reality? the only pressure the west has put on Russia is purely economical. where have the threats of invading Russia come from in the west/NATO? nowhere....

One report is that Ukraine's spetnaz forces are involved at the airfield and helped drive off a second wave of Russian paratroopers trying to reinforce the first

The first lot are still around, either at or near the airfield.

Whatever the case, with fighting going on there, there is no way you'd even try to land planes there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    One report is that Ukraine's spetnaz forces are involved at the airfield and helped drive off a second wave of Russian paratroopers trying to reinforce the first

The first lot are still around, either at or near the airfield.

Whatever the case, with fighting going on there, there is no way you'd even try to land planes there.
    Interesting thanks a great deal for the info. Clearly Ukraine does not want to lose that fight.

However Russia can still send helicopters to support their troops there if they do indeed still hold the airfield.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post

I have difficulty believing Ukraine's claims as a general rule. They exaggerate things or outright lie.

I think the VDV was sent to secure a runway for Russian transports to bring equipment supplies for their eventual push on Kiev. Did they fail? If so what happened to at least a battalion worth of troops? Because we know Ukraine didn't kill capture them. Did they flee north? Did they lose control of the runway but still maintain some foothold in the area?

We frankly don't know.
    They both lie, Ukraine has probably "destroyed" far more troops and vehicles than in reality, while Russia is clearly sprouting crap about troops surrendering/running away and making the impression that Ukrainian forces are collapsing.
    That's normal, it is war.

Have they failed? I would say so, half a day has passed but no IL-76'es landed there. But were the paratroopers destroyed or did a fighting retreat (there are forests)? That is a good question. But the idea itself was clearly a part of an attempt to win the war ASAP. I wonder if they will attempt the flight of Valkyries again, it was close to becoming very costly.
    P.S.
    Judging by photos from the airport Russia embedded a journalist amongst paratroopers. Someone clearly wanted a quick big win. As they love to say and joke, маленькая победоносная война - small victorius war.