The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    lmfao it is so obvious those approval ratings are just Russian propaganda. holy fuck dude, he couldn't even get 2/3rds of the country to back this invasion. compare that to the lead up to the US middle east invasions having approvals in the 80%'s.
    We'll probably never know the actual numbers, and speculating on approval ratings without actually being in the country and talking to people is just that; speculation.

Though in the same vein it's difficult to take the word of 'native Russians' at face value since the ones we typically interact here and elsewhere with seem completely on board with the 'It was fine that we Bombed a Maternity Ward, funneled Tens of Thousands of Civilians into Russia and executed hundreds more because of those six hundred or so Nazis that may or may not hold any actual political influence in a country of 40m people' sort of mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Just for reference on the above.
    Without any name references, I think someone hasn't thought of a fact, that even if a mass draft was called, they'd still weed out obviously deranged psychos from it. Because those are far more problems (a lot) than they are of worth (fuck all).
    Last edited by Azadina; 2022-04-03 at 06:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    don't dare misinterpret what I said. The other poster said the Russian army is "scared for their lives marching to their deaths." You don't do any of the shit I mentioned if you're "scared" you do it because you are 1) evil and 2) emboldened terrorizing people without consequences.

Just sadistic pieces of shit, that's the Russian army.
    You have no clue about how humans work, do you?

Makes me think you're either a) confined to a basement and never interact with people in real life, b) too young to have have a fully formed reasoning capacity, or c) just faking it for internet funzies.

Regardless, the problem isn't even so much that you don't understand how humans work, it's that you're mistakenly convinced you do.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    At the end, we can say mean things about Russia, but we are truly helpless and incapable of stopping them because of their nuclear arsenal. I genuinely do believe Putin will win and take Ukraine, and then he will extend his conquest to the rest of Europe after he is emboldened by his victory and the notion he cannot be stopped with the fear of MAD.
    Oh my god. Just. F@$KING. STOP. It has been explained to you time and time again why your fetish for Russian conquest of Europe won't happen and you just don't listen or you refuse to admit you're wrong. Vladolf Putler is struggling to defeat an army that everyone thought Russia would crush in a matter of days and instead has held on for over a month and is even pushing Russia back in places.

The worst thing Putler could do for his grip on power would be to start a multi-front war with NATO that would end with his military in ruins and with a Russian economy also in ruins that can't afford to rebuild it.

The only reason I haven't put you on ignore is that it would make finding this thread again a pain because I am getting sick and tired of repeating myself with you.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    It's becoming clear from liberated cities as the Russians retreat that they have committed horrific war crimes against civilians on a scale that hasn't been seen in the Western world for a long time. Dead civilians, many with hands tied behind their backs line the streets. Piles of dead naked women in the street and god knows what they endured. A mass grave with nearly 300 civilian bodies. Many bodies showing torture, and reports of rapes were widespread If you have not seen the pictures or stories they are really truly disturbing. It's difficult to imagine how Russia will ever be able to re-engage with the rest of the world as a normal operating country after this. The Russian army turned out to be much more roving drunken criminal gang than competent professional military.

Looting was also almost industrial with looted Ukrainian washing machines stacked on the back of Russian military transport trucks. That is an important point because it is the kind of thing that would not happen without commanding officer orders, which shows that these were conscious, planned war crimes, ordered or at least approved by higher-ups in the Russian military.

The Russians have also had a lot of issues with communication during the war and have resorted often to using open unencrypted messages that were easily intercepted. Because of this it's possible that Ukraine and/or other western intelligence has information on specifically which units operated in cities like Bucha and Irpin where the war crimes were particularly severe. From that they could identify commanding officers and possibly individuals serving in those units. Accountability will be near impossible unfortunately with Russia operating essentially as a rogue state. But even the Nazi leaders in WW2 eventually met their day in the Hague.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’ll take the infraction, but has anyone besides me tried PMing globals since Flairelane and Rozz don’t care about the obvious troll?
    I think its time to petition globals because Flair and Rozz just dont give a shit about job they volunteered to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    But even the Nazi leaders in WW2 eventually met their day in the Hague.
    because they were a conventional military force. We have never dealt with someone with weapons of mass destruction (i.e, nukes) like Putin. How he will be dragged out to the Hague is difficult to acertain, if ever. But I wouldn't be optimistic about it.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-04-03 at 07:37 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

because they were a conventional force. We have never dealt with someone with weapons of mass destruction like Putin. How he will be dragged out to the Hague is difficult to acertain.
    Kindly fuck off you piece of shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I think its time to petition globals because Flair and Rozz just dont give a shit about job they volunteered to do.
    I think the Cruelty is the point. When people with authority enjoy watching their users get tormented.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's becoming clear from liberated cities as the Russians retreat that they have committed horrific war crimes against civilians on a scale that hasn't been seen in the Western world for a long time. Dead civilians, many with hands tied behind their backs line the streets. Piles of dead naked women in the street and god knows what they endured. A mass grave with nearly 300 civilian bodies. Many bodies showing torture, and reports of rapes were widespread If you have not seen the pictures or stories they are really truly disturbing. It's difficult to imagine how Russia will ever be able to re-engage with the rest of the world as a normal operating country after this. The Russian army turned out to be much more roving drunken criminal gang than competent professional military.
    The moniker of 'Orc' seems horrifyingly apt with what folks are finding moving back into these cities with these absolutely sickening displays of barbarism committed by an army of ill-disciplined goons and thugs. It's becoming increasingly difficult to keep a level, pragmatic approach to these things concerning 'what needs to be done', because I hear shit like this and just feel like the only solution is to put the hammer down on these chucklefucks and melt them like those Wagner fucks got melted in Syria.

But barring, admittedly petty and unrealistic, AC-130 based vengeance Russia cannot be allowed back onto the world stage if it cannot even -pretend- to act like a civilized country.

- - - Updated - - -

At the end, we can say mean things about Russia, but we are truly helpless and incapable of stopping them because of their nuclear arsenal. I genuinely do believe Putin will win and take Ukraine, and then he will extend his conquest to the rest of Europe after he is emboldened by his victory and the notion he cannot be stopped with the fear of MAD.
    The moment Russia steps foot into a NATO country they will cease to exist and Putin knows this. Their Army is a fucking joke, their air force is a joke. All they're good at is punching down and slaughtering people who cannot fight back, and this is on full display with how piss poor they're doing in Ukraine, and you naively think that a concerted NATO military operation won't just fold them in half? The disparity of hard power makes even the Nuclear threat a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Just clicked on their name, posts by user, and all the ones that are conspiracy theory bullshit report.
    If you/I get flagged for "abusing report", in the politics sticky, posting conspiracies is against the rules here.
    If we have to bombard the mods by reporting posts that break the rules, then we have to do so.
    The more the merrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Bombarding the mods with reports is more likely to get the thread locked than anything else...

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Russia is now both denying warcrimes happened in Bucha by saying it has all been faked while at the same time saying Ukraine is responsible for the deaths and mass graves.
    That is normal for Russia; 'Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible'.

The idea isn't to present an alterative truth, but to create so much confusion that you doubt that there's any truth at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Bombarding the mods with reports is more likely to get the thread locked than anything else...
    Bombarding with made up bullshit reasons for reports probably would.
    Legit reports, probably not so much.

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Looting was also almost industrial with looted Ukrainian washing machines stacked on the back of Russian military transport trucks. That is an important point because it is the kind of thing that would not happen without commanding officer orders, which shows that these were conscious, planned war crimes, ordered or at least approved by higher-ups in the Russian military.

The Russians have also had a lot of issues with communication during the war and have resorted often to using open unencrypted messages that were easily intercepted. Because of this it's possible that Ukraine and/or other western intelligence has information on specifically which units operated in cities like Bucha and Irpin where the war crimes were particularly severe. From that they could identify commanding officers and possibly individuals serving in those units. Accountability will be near impossible unfortunately with Russia operating essentially as a rogue state. But even the Nazi leaders in WW2 eventually met their day in the Hague.
    *nuremburg you mean.. the Hague is a 50's failed construction.

This is a pretty chilling, not officially confirmed, testimony coming from the Russian controlled suberbs of Kharkiv.

While I'm going to out right believe this yet (maybe more out of hope that RU isn't that depraved), I'm sure things are going to get much worse than Bucha before this is over.
    Civilian fleeing Kharkiv tells of horror in city suburbs

While we've been reporting about claims of a massacre in the town of Bucha, one civilian arriving at Lviv train station from Kharkiv relayed graphic scenes in that city's suburbs.

Speaking about corpses seen in the town of Bucha, the man, who gave his name as Andre, told the BBC: "In these pictures, there are bodies. In the Kharkiv suburbs, there are only parts of bodies: legs, arms, heads."

Kharkiv, in the north east, is partially surrounded by Russian forces and the city has suffered relentless shelling.

A regional prosecutor said on Sunday that seven people had been killed in shelling in Kharkiv.
    Source is BBC live update page (scroll down a bit).

---------

Also a reminder that RU claiming they left Bucha on 30th March, the MOD put out an official statement on 1 April that they were digging in and conducting a 'zachistka'.
    My understanding of the translation is sweeping/mopping up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snebb View Post
    This is a pretty chilling, not officially confirmed, testimony coming from the Russian controlled suberbs of Kharkiv.

While I'm going to out right believe this yet (maybe more out of hope that RU isn't that depraved), I'm sure things are going to get much worse than Bucha before this is over.

Source is BBC live update page (scroll down a bit).

---------

Also a reminder that RU claiming they left Bucha on 30th March, the MOD put out an official statement on 1 April that they were digging in and conducting a 'zachistka'.
    My understanding of the translation is sweeping/mopping up?
    ...cleansing?

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    ...cleansing?
    Implied, yeah. Of course they wouldn't be able to say that as it's 'only a liberation operation'.

yes it is a very serious situation so I don't take kindly to being interpreted as a sadist of any kind: "it takes one to know one". If that wasn't your intention, then I apologize.
    No, that was my intention. Absolutely. You were the one claiming "raping" as "fun". That really speaks for itself, and I don't really give a flying fuck how you take it. If you don't like it, maybe you should think about where you made the wrong choices in your life. Remember Grubby's eternal wisdom: "It's never too late to stop sucking." Self improvement can start anytime.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    That is normal for Russia; 'Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible'.

The idea isn't to present an alterative truth, but to create so much confusion that you doubt that there's any truth at all.
    Luckily the rest of the world isn't buying Russia's bullshit on this, and hasn't since day one. Nobody believed there were Nazis or secret chemical plants or that they were liberating Russian speakers or any of that bullshit. The world saw it for the bald-faced imperialist power grab that it was.*

As I noted before, Russia has been portrayed as a duplicitous nation whose word can't be trusted for more than half a century at this point. "Russia isn't to be trusted" is basically baked into the western lexicon of tropes.

It's certainly unfair to extend that to the everyday ordinary citizen of Russia or person of Russian descent just trying to live their life. But Putin's Kremlin has really only worked to reinforce that notion, what with his constant monkeying in other country's politics and... well, saying you're not going to invade a neighboring country and then invading it. Repeatedly.

*I think it worth noting that the world not buying Russia's bullshit, and that Russia's attempts of creating confusing alternate truths was so unsuccessful in the US in particular is due in no small part to the fact that Trump wasn't president and was unable to lobby any sort of pro-Russia stance from any place of authority. If he had been, we'd likely be seeing far less support for Ukraine throughout the US. Trump standing in as "The United States" might have actually pressured Ukraine into surrendering to Russia's absurd demands, and worked to forbid companies and banks from refusing to work with Russia.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.