Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    He was removed because he fell out with the Spanish crown in Castile, a crown that can only be called hypocrites in their own right, alongside all the contemporaries that called him brutal. Imagine the hypocrisy of a kingdom that's been the most fervent sponsor of the catholic inquisition calling someone brutal.
    Imagine how awful your methods had to have been to be removed for being too brutal while governing by spain, the most fervent sponsor of the catholic inquisition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Ah... more of the same ol' "two wrongs make a right" bs. /yawn
    Two? All of Spain at the time was a cesspool of degenerate inquisition.

Don't worry though, nobody is stopping you from reporting Columbus to your local police station.

If you were a bit smarter you'd understand that I'm not idolizing him
    So, your conversation is entirely pointless then. Understood.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I said nothing I said nothing about Ukraine sovereignty. We're talking about Ukraine's neutrality when it comes to the US (NATO) and Russia. Ukraine gave up the nukes it inherited from the USSR and the grounds that the Ukraine is allowed to and remain neutral. Ukraine's geographic location is strategically important to the foreign policy of the US and Russia in regards to the other so ease any problems the two over Ukraine, Ukraine was supposed to be allowed to be neutral. The US and Russia have sense tested the terms of that neutrality over the years. Some Ukrainian leaders even tested the waters at times. Long story short, US and Russia tugged at Ukraine for years and a conflict was inevitable unless both countries reset on the situation. Neither did, Ukraine pays the ultimate price.
    Respect Belarusian, Kazakh and Ukrainian independence and sovereignty in the existing borders.
    Refrain from the threat or the use of force against Belarus, Kazakhstan or Ukraine.
    Refrain from using economic pressure on Belarus, Kazakhstan or Ukraine to influence their politics.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budape...rances#Content

Claiming the Bucharest Memorandum was about turning Ukraine into a neutral buffer state is just bullshit. The US and UK have not violated Ukraine's independence or sovereignty, have not threatened Ukraine with the use of force nor economically pressured Ukraine to influence its politics.

The Ukraine is not bound to never join a side, the treaty was for Ukraine to do what it wanted itself, not have outside powers dictate internal policy. If Ukraine wants to join NATO that is not a violation of the treaty so long as its Ukraine's own decision to do so.

And the US, not the UK, has threatened Ukraine into joining NATO. The only one who has done that is Russia by showing that there is no other protection from Russian aggression.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Imagine how awful your methods had to have been to be removed for being too brutal while governing by spain, the most fervent sponsor of the catholic inquisition.
    And you think politics and greed didn't play a role in this case? I think it's naive to believe that Castile wanted him gone only because he was brutal.

And you think politics and greed didn't play a role in this case? I think it's naive to believe that Castile wanted him gone only because he was brutal.
    You seem to have a hardon for him.

So, your conversation is entirely pointless then. Understood.
    It's not pointless. You and multiple others posted about it like you invented the wheel, pretending like there's a point to calling a guy that lived 600 years ago a killer.

It's not pointless. You and multiple others posted about it like you invented the wheel, pretending like there's a point to calling a guy that lived 600 years ago a killer.
    There seems to be a point then. Because he was.

I would never have guessed.

Like most of his contemporaries.

While you're right that greed played a part, it was literally because his tactics were leading to wide scale revolts, making the colony unprofitable. If he hadn't been such a rapine, murderous asshole, things wouldn't have gotten so bad. The reason his tactics weren't the norm is because they didn't work. They're too brutal to work without the type of tech we have now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    This is false.

Back on topic, let's be hopeful for a minute and assume Ukraine is fully able to push Russia out of it's territory. What happens then?

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    Back on topic, let's be hopeful for a minute and assume Ukraine is fully able to push Russia out of it's territory. What happens then?
    They won't be able to. Let's be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    It is a logical fallacy to deny criticism simply because of "different times".

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Being realistic would be to acknowledge the past 2 months...they very much might be able to at this point
    That means taking back Crimea and Dombass, which won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Si wtf are you even arguing here? You admit he was a murderer, but at the same time nobody can say so because we all want to report him to the ICC apparently?

Do I have your position down?
    Moral relativism while simultaneously ignoring the fact that even by the morals of his time he was beyond the pale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    That "history" museum is based on New Chronology by Fomenko, a massive conspiracy theory.

The gist of the theory is:
    1) All our history before 1600 AD is fabricated on authority of the Vatican, The Holy Roman Empire and the Romanovs.
    2) Everything that happened in Ancient times actually happened in Medieval times
    3) Almost all achievements in world history before 1600 AD are by a global empire called the Russian horde

I honestly don't think the average Russian thinks this all holds much truth... yet.
    I'm surprised it doesn't involve the Rothchilds. Or even more fearsome, the Rothparents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    That is quite the hypothetical. To be clear, by Ukraine's territory you mean the internationally recognised ones? Because that would mean taking Crimea and that seems quite a big ask at the moment.

I would say some sort of regime change in Russia would be near inevitable at that point. And with that the war could end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    That is quite the hypothetical. To be clear, by Ukraine's territory you mean the internationally recognised ones? Because that would mean taking Crimea and that seems quite a big ask at the moment.

I would say some sort of regime change in Russia would be near inevitable at that point. And with that the war could end.
    Sorry should have spessified I meant the 2021 boarder so not Crimea

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Last time they hit a fuel depot and it took a few days to comfirm.
    I'm asking because we know an ammo dump blew up a couple weeks ago. That's why I asked. @Iphie seems to link a source saying this is new.