Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    And considering how Russia has always had this reputation of an evil genocidal raping empire way before this invasion of Ukraine, it makes you wonder how 1) America didn't turn on, demilitarize, and annex Russia after Hitler's defeat and 2) how they let them obtain and keep nuclear weapons.
    Once again, because any attempt to do such a thing would have immediately set off World War III.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    The longer this goes on the more of a threat Putin becomes to those around him, at some point that has to reach a limit.
    Doubt it, remember Stalin? that fucker had millions killed and nobody took him out.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Doubt it, remember Stalin? that fucker had millions killed and nobody took him out.
    Khrushchev though? I mean I'm not saying it happens soon, but the more people close to Putin are getting in trouble the likelier it will become that something will happen I think. In fact I'd be very surprised if not at least a few people are working on exit strategies right now. (personal ones if nothing else.) Lets not forget that he's been scapegoating the FSB, he's been purging the army and scapegoating the leadership and now the navy, those are his pillars of power.

Ukraine's trolling is as always on point. I love that this is directly from their minister of defense:

https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/...77421647970309

What are "unpredictable consequences" here? It has to be "unpredictable" like in the sense of it being some wild act no sane human could expect to happen.
    Selling naked photos of our girlfriends at a pie eating contest? I think that fits the description you provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    The longer this goes on the more of a threat Putin becomes to those around him, at some point that has to reach a limit.
    People said that about Adolf as well. The country had to be on fire for people to start to leave his side. Don't underestimate fanatics.

to those that think I talk about nukes too much:

Today, the US Pentagon claimed that, while there's nothing to indicate Putin is *currently* insane enough to launch nukes, the possibility should NEVER be ruled out, as he is as a whole very unpredictable right now.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    People said that about Adolf as well. The country had to be on fire for people to start to leave his side. Don't underestimate fanatics.
    Hitler had numerous assassination attempts done on him by people on his own side, he just happened to outlast all of them until he shot himself in his bunker as the soviets were at Berlin.

I wouldn't be too eager about the discussion of Putin being assassinated. Remember recently he showed in public he carries around a nuclear bag 24/7. If someone kills him, he undoubtedly has a dead man's switch to take humanity with him.

Which once again begs the question of how this madness can be stopped: He can't be killed and says he will never stop his war *until he wins.* Well, at the rate it's going, what if he loses while alive? What's he going to do then?

Grim situation all around.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Hitler had numerous assassination attempts done on him by people on his own side, he just happened to outlast all of them until he shot himself in his bunker as the soviets were at Berlin.
    Yeah, but not from his inner circle. Several high-ranking army officers, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't be too eager about the discussion of Putin being assassinated. Remember recently he showed in public he carries around a nuclear bag 24/7. If someone kills him, he undoubtedly has a dead man's switch to take humanity with him.

Which once again begs the question of how this madness can be stopped: He can't be killed and says he will never stop his war *until he wins.* Well, at the rate it's going, what if he loses while alive? What's he going to do then?

You watched to many bad movies.

If someone kills him, he undoubtedly has a dead man's switch to take humanity with him.
    Looks like a conspiracy theory. Smells like a conspiracy theory. If only we had some kind of oversight designed to punish people for posting this kind of nonsense.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

If someone kills him, he undoubtedly has a dead man's switch to take humanity with him.
    This is absolute, utter nonsense. Stop confusing fiction with reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Looks like a conspiracy theory. Smells like a conspiracy theory. If only we had some kind of oversight designed to punish people for posting this kind of nonsense.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand

It is. Russans do have (or did have) a system like this, but only if they are already nuked.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I think the fact they are 50 days into a 3 day war with no end in sight and lots of funerals may have clued them in already.
    Uh, no. They aren't clued in. Russians are making the same mistakes Germans did during WW2. They distrust any foreign media, they believe everything Hitler.. uh, Putin is telling them. And in the end, you'll have to walk the local populace through the concentration camps and literally shove their faces into piles of corpses for them to acknowledge that yes, maybe not all that they were told might be not quite the truth. Possibly.

Took the US a few years of solid democratisation efforts, sending adults back into school and trying to undo the damage that about 20 years of propaganda and brainwashing can do to you to fix that shit. Expect the West having to do the same with Russia.

Also, pray and hope that Ukrainians can find a way in their big hearts to forgive Russians and help them with that effort. Cos Ukrainians are the ones that understand the most how it is to realise Russia is not the dream of freedom everyone growing up in the Soviet Union hoped it would be. If Ukrainians can't find it in them to forgive and help Russia, that country is going to delete itself in a dystopia scenario of civil war and crime lords fighting for Moscow.

We'll see how this turns out.

- - - Updated - - -

Russia just threatened to nuke the US if they don't stop their weapon shipments to Ukraine.

Russia just sent a formal diplomatic note to the United States warning that U.S. and NATO shipments of the “most sensitive” weapons systems to Ukraine were “adding fuel” to the conflict there and could bring “unpredictable consequences.”

The State Department declined to comment on the contents of the two-page diplomatic note or any U.S. response.
    They didn't threaten with nukes. You need to get rid of your hard-on with nukes, it's pathetic. Go wank it out on The Day After or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    As a veteran it seems I have previously grossly overestimated the Russians military abilities. I am shocked at how incompetent they really are. Despite having the advantage Russia still doesn't have air superiority. Tanks driving around on their own with zero air cover or infantry support. No logistics to support the invasion. Manpower losses measured in 10's of 1000's. Tanks, IFV's, helicopters etc getting obliterated everywhere. What a shitshow for the Russians and a complete embarrassment. If it wasn't for nukes I think NATO could steamroll Russia in no time, even without the US.
    I've been saying that for years, but Russkis kept screaming "Armata!" back at me... a detached, bastard part of me enjoys the vindication. I know, I shouldn't, since Ukrainians are paying for it, and I'd rather lose internet arguments than be proven right, but as far as "Told yas" go, this is one of the most impressive ones.

- - - Updated - - -

I notice so many people (understandably) say

"if it wasn't for nukes"

And considering how Russia has always had this reputation of an evil genocidal raping empire way before this invasion of Ukraine, it makes you wonder how 1) America didn't turn on, demilitarize, and annex Russia after Hitler's defeat and 2) how they let them obtain and keep nuclear weapons.

It's all led up to this.
    There's a whole lot of crazy to unpack there... After WW2, genocide was reserved for one country, Germany. The Soviet Union was more disciplined than what you see today in Russia. They had their military in check and their tech was more up to date... the Mig-15s were on par with the Sabre. The Mig-21 was and is still a pretty formidable little fighter. So is the SU-27. Their tanks were okay too...

What we're observing is the result of military tech development ceasing after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Russia has not successfully deployed any new tech or vessel on a large scale that we would call modern and capable of actually be used in war. And while the Soviet Union stagnated, the US has kept pushing and pushing as if the Cold War was still going on. And in a sense, that was the right call. And while Europe is lagging behind a bit, even European tech is outpacing Russian tech at this stage.

How to stop a country from developing nukes? By breaking your own understanding of the rule of law and sovereignity of nations. The West can't do that. Not on a large enough scale that would be needed to actually stop a country from doing whatever the fuck it wants. There's the added bonus that the US wasn't sure it could steamroll Russia at the time. Nobody has ever successfully conquered Russia in history. I'm not even sure we could do it now. People time and again underestimate the vast distances involved and the logistical nightmares involved. The US might be able to handle it, just about. But they would be stretching critical supply lines over thousands of kilometers.

- - - Updated - - -

This... is not how nukes work. Neither the US presient nor the Russian dictator have a "big red button" that immediately launches all nukes. That's just a childish fantasy by uneducated people that aren't capable of critical thinking. So, you basically.

Nukes have a whole chain of command, and everyone along the line has to authorise and do the thing he needs to do to get the launch done. We know this, because Russian heroes have already prevented WW3 by deciding not to launch in scenarios where they could safely assume an all out attack from the US but they thought it was "unlikely and didn't make sense" so they refused to launch.

Putin can give the order. But that's all he can do. The actual implementation is left up to the military. And there are strong indications to US intelligence that Russian generals aren't willing to delete themselves.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    So if the battleship Moscow actually did get shot down by Ukraine, how come every single member of the 500 crew was not even scratched?

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    So if the battleship Moscow actually did get shot down by Ukraine, how come every single member of the 500 crew was not even scratched?
    Who says they were not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I wana see the russan source of that

I find it strange that turkey helped the sailors tho.
    https://www.trtworld.com/turkey/turk...r-moskva-56382
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Boy, you REALLY need to stop with those comic books / mangas.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    I wana see the russan source of that

I find it strange that turkey helped the sailors tho.
    https://www.trtworld.com/turkey/turk...r-moskva-56382
    According to maritime law every captain is obliged to help a sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Also, pray and hope that Ukrainians can find a way in their big hearts to forgive Russians and help them with that effort. Cos Ukrainians are the ones that understand the most how it is to realise Russia is not the dream of freedom everyone growing up in the Soviet Union hoped it would be. If Ukrainians can't find it in them to forgive and help Russia, that country is going to delete itself in a dystopia scenario of civil war and crime lords fighting for Moscow.
    Why the fuck would they help people that are trying to genocide them? People who invaded their country, shelled cities, targeted civilians on purpose and raped toddlers? Russia isn't Germany. Russia isn't going to change. All of their history has made it very clear. This country is a lost cause.
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2022-04-15 at 11:10 AM.