What confuses/annoys me is he could just say "look I'm sad for the Ukrainians but we need to focus on America" or something. But he instead tries to give validation to Russia's irridentism?

Quote Originally Posted by Finlandia WOAT View Post
    What confuses/annoys me is he could just say "look I'm sad for the Ukrainians but we need to focus on America" or something. But he instead tries to give validation to Russia's irridentism?
    Because he's a fuckin piece of shit, and I continue to lament that his neighbor didn't permanently sideline him from office after attacking him. He's genuine filth, but I guess it's fitting since both the Senators from the "Great State" of Kentucky are garbage of the highest order, actual threats to this countries democracy, and are causing harm to others with their actions and behaviors.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1518979359817752576

In which Rand Paul defends Russia's attack because

Alaska used to be part of Russia, so I guess he'd be fine with them invading Alaska.
    I'd make a snide remark about 'Oh it looks like it took a while for the talking points to come out' but Rand's always been a special breed of piece of shit; a classic case of a Self-proclaimed Libertarian with a fetish for Boot Leather.

Russian forces in Transnistria have been brought to full combat readiness.

https://twitter.com/CanadianUkrain1/...19812453863424
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post

That's a rather low standard, but that's on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

TIL what Transnistria is. Intersting.

7+ Year Old Account
    TIL what Transnistria is. Intersting.
    The soviets did love to mess around with their geographic regions in the USSR creating a great deal of problems further down the road. It's like they look at Sykes-Picot and thought that it was a wonderful idea.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account

Alaska used to be part of Russia, so I guess he'd be fine with them invading Alaska.
    I’d imagine because a number of GOP representatives, think tanks, PACs and general hangers-on have ties to Russian money and these across-the-board popular sanctions against Russia and broad support of Ukraine within the US is complicating them receiving that money.

Moreover, the democrats have had no chill when it comes to condemning Russia, which could be tremendously politically advantageous for the democrats. And the GOP can’t be having that either.

So, in essence: “try and make Russia into a complicated gray area where nothing can truly be known and wouldn’t you rather just have lower gas prices?”
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    The soviets did love to mess around with their geographic regions in the USSR creating a great deal of problems further down the road. It's like they look at Sykes-Picot and thought that it was a wonderful idea.
    Not just the Soviets, I think the Czars did the same, I mean Nicolai II tried to Russify Finland, that, obviously, didn't stick too well.
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-04-26 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

So, like... given zip-ties, condoms, and a backhoe?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

russia getting battered in Ukraine looks for a smaller kid to bully

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Welp, Russia suspends Yamal contract with Poland (and prolly wit anyone else using it) on 27th due to no willingness to pay in rubles. So no gas. Lets see who chickens out first.
    I don't think Poland will have a big issue with this. It will hurt a bit, but as far as I understand they did not intend to extend Gazprom contract that ends end of the year anyway.

I do also think that this, and suspension of gas supplies to Bulgaria now as well, hurts Russia more overall being unreliable energy supplier and all.

Bulgaria will be more fucked though than Poland.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, I was inaccurate in my statement. The fire that burns after the initial blast isn’t sending smoke into the stratosphere though, at least not like that initial blast.
    Pretty much the exact opposite of reality.

The initial blast doesn't produce much smoke and soot - especially since nuclear weapons are normally airbursts; so the alleged nuclear winter happen due to the secondary fires (how much is unclear - it depends on the available material and other conditions) and the firestorm then sends it up high (assuming there is a firestorm which depends on additional factors). That's why nuclear tests haven't produced anything similar to this effect; the initial blast is similar - but there are no secondary fires.

If Russia tried this in Ukraine I'm not convinced there is sufficient amount of fuel for a firestorm - but hopefully that will not be put to the test; despite Lavrov's statement. An exception for airbursts weapons would be if Russia tried to tactically nuke the Azov steel works.
    And in both cases I'm a bit unsure how Russia would spin it.

- - - Updated - - -

I cannot understand the Russian plan with that. Transnistria is landlocked and officially part of Moldovia and borders Ukraine; and current government is pro-EU.

If Russia tries to attack from Transnistrian without being connected to other Russian forces since Russia haven't taken the southern coast of Ukraine; it seems they will start out as surrounded which seems kind of bad from a tactical point of view.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    If Russia tries to attack from Transnistrian without being connected to other Russian forces since Russia haven't taken the southern coast of Ukraine; it seems they will start out as surrounded which seems kind of bad from a tactical point of view.
    It's pretty simple, Ukraine would need to divert forces from East to defend Odessa. It would be a reverse Mariupol situation, where even a small force can keep larger force busy.

All in all it's strange they did not think of it 2 months ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    It's pretty simple, Ukraine would need to divert forces from East to defend Odessa. It would be a reverse Mariupol situation, where even a small force can keep larger force busy.

They probably did, but only now deemed it necessary. Don't forget this was supposed to be long over by now.

That is normally in terms of holding grounds - attacking with about 5,000 man seems "courageous".
    And Transnistria itself cannot know how Moldovia reacts to an attack from Moldovian territory on another country; so why risk it?

They were probably not considered elite enough to be part of the planned victory parade.

10+ Year Old Account

2 months ago Kyiv was supposed to fall in just a couple of days from the Russian perspective, and have a puppet government at minimum installed.

Obviously that didn’t happen, leading up to where they’re at now.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Welp, Russia suspends Yamal contract with Poland (and prolly wit anyone else using it) on 27th due to no willingness to pay in rubles. So no gas. Lets see who chickens out first.
    Russia is sanctioning their own gas? It is my understanding that Poland was not planning on renewing the Yamal contract which will expire the end of this year. Does that mean that they have alternative sources and their gas storage is full? We'll find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Does that mean they want Fort Ross at Bodega Bay back also?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Russia is sanctioning their own gas? It is my understanding that Poland was not planning on renewing the Yamal contract which will expire the end of this year. Does that mean that they have alternative sources and their gas storage is full? We'll find out.
    IIRC stored amounts would last for 30-40 days. Not sure about all the other sources, but we have an LNG terminal, which are apparently not that common in EU atm.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-04-26 at 09:21 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61237519

Russia cuts gas pipes for Poland and Bulgaria. Seems like they are desperate!

Oh and also, Russia sends faked text messages, pretending to be Ukraine, to citizens of Moldova at Transnistria, warning them about coming air strikes (by Ukraine).

https://www.facebook.com/DefenceInte...99489785695782

So when enough is enough so we can wipe out this terrorist state, either figuratively or literally?

Russia is going to air strike civilians just to blame it on Ukraine. In another sovereign country.
    Last edited by Saradain; 2022-04-26 at 10:33 PM.