10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Or fraud/covering up missing stock.
    Also possible, point is this one is not likely to be the result of Ukrainian action. I mean those which are really mysterious, random and above all rather far away from the warzone would need a lot of preparation and I don't think 2 months is enough for that. Either way these fires aren't exactly helping the russians.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Don't forget Erkki "Örkki" Tuomioja.
    Seems he got around to being smart:

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/...olesta/8417592

I remain of the opinion that this shouldn't have been this difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Seems he got around to being smart:

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/...olesta/8417592

I remain of the opinion that this shouldn't have been this difficult.
    Even when the YYA fossil is forced to vote along the party lines to "maintain unified front" he manages to make a statement that he really doesn't want for Finland to join NATO. God I wish he would retire already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    No amount of Twitter memes will change the reality that Ukraine can't really militarily take back Crimea or Donbas
    Meh, I'm still hopeful that there's a shot they can retake DPR and LPR as long as international aid keeps coming in and the screws keep being tightened on Russia's economy. I don't hold out much hope for Crimea, though.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I'll repeat it again and I have no issue saying this. The only realistic, non-fantasy way this will come to an end is through agreement and in this agreement Ukraine will have to give up some stuff at least for the time being.
    Nope, sorry. Russia invaded another sovereign nation. If this ends with Russia gaining ANYTHING, it's saying to Russia that it's worth invading other sovereign nations, because you'll be rewarded.

The only way that this can be allowed to end is with Russia losing. Everything. Their economy, their pride, a significant portion of their military "might". This needs to serve as an object lesson, not just to Russia but to anybody else thinking of doing the same thing, that the world will no longer stand by and allow it to happen.

And you're probably right that Ukraine can't force the Russians out purely through military might. But we're already seeing that Russia can't afford this war; either in terms of military materials or the economic cost at home. And pretending that any peace negotiations are just going to be between Ukraine and Russia is disingenuous on your part. Because the US and Europe will effectively be in those discussions as well, lending their weight to the Ukraine. Because this wouldn't just be about agreeing peace between two nations, it would be about what form that peace needs to take to get sanctions eased or removed on Russia.

If Russia goes into those saying "we keep the eastern part of Ukraine" and the EU/US say "if you try that, the sanctions remain fully in effect indefinitely" then that's a LOT of leverage working on the side of Ukraine. At the same time the carrot of removing those sanctions would be a strong argument for them getting the hell out completely. Especially if it's combined with a regime change in Russia (voluntary or involuntary).
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

The only realistic, non-fantasy way this will come to an end is through agreement and in this agreement Ukraine will have to give up some stuff at least for the time being.
    Agreement with whom? This is how your Русский мир looks like, little goblin.

Fair warning to the good-faith participants of this thread, the above link features very graphic and NSFW content.
    Last edited by tlitd; 2022-05-03 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Meh, I'm still hopeful that there's a shot they can retake DPR and LPR as long as international aid keeps coming in and the screws keep being tightened on Russia's economy. I don't hold out much hope for Crimea, though.
    And it's also a fact that any cease-fire where Russia holds on to parts of those regions will be seen as unstable; as Russia might continue their previous attacks at any time, similarly as they started this in 2014 and continued in 2022 - obviously it will take time for the Russian bear (who seems to be a drunk circus-bear) to heal its bloodied paws, and at the same time Ukraine would want to re-take the entire regions, when Russia falls further into chaos.

Both sides also know this, which make any cease-fire unlikely without strong guarantees - obviously one could imagine NATO guaranteeing a cease-fire, but I don't think Russia would agree to that. And no-one trusts Russia.

And perceptions matter, Ukraine might yield ground, but I doubt they want to be seen as striking the flag.

Given the way Russia is expending the male population of the seperatists regions there may not be many people living there anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given the way Russia is expending the male population of the seperatists regions there may not be many people living there anyway.
    Russia's demographics are fecked up anyway. Younger than 30 is a group smaller than is healthy and that's not just attributable to the after effects of WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Russia's demographics are fecked up anyway. Younger than 30 is a group smaller than is healthy and that's not just attributable to the after effects of WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Russia
    Pretty much the entirety of Eastern and Southern Europe are set to demographic catastrophe. Ukraine's is even worse than Russia (probably in part to higher birth rates among the latters many minorities).
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    What was in the warehouse?
    Reportedly, it belonged exclusively to a pro-Kremlin publishing house, possibly with a lot of propaganda to be disseminated in the coming days. Also, I've read that said publishing house banned the word "Ukraine", but don't ask me for the context, it's a piece of second-hand information.

Must be global warming. There is no other explanation. It's not like there had been formed a volunteer legion of Russian Army defectors who wrote a manifesto, and whose writings got through to regular Russians, as evinced by their graffiti in Russian cities with a link to their Telegram.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Pretty much the entirety of Eastern and Southern Europe are set to demographic catastrophe. Ukraine's is even worse than Russia (probably in part to higher birth rates among the latters many minorities).
    China is also facing big demographic issues. Hence why some predict they may make a move on Taiwan sooner than later.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    China is also facing big demographic issues. Hence why some predict they may make a move on Taiwan sooner than later.
    Yes indeed, and past that I am not reassured regarding the whole of South-East Asia...
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Nope, sorry. Russia invaded another sovereign nation. If this ends with Russia gaining ANYTHING, it's saying to Russia that it's worth invading other sovereign nations, because you'll be rewarded.

The only way that this can be allowed to end is with Russia losing. Everything. Their economy, their pride, a significant portion of their military "might". This needs to serve as an object lesson, not just to Russia but to anybody else thinking of doing the same thing, that the world will no longer stand by and allow it to happen.

And you're probably right that Ukraine can't force the Russians out purely through military might. But we're already seeing that Russia can't afford this war; either in terms of military materials or the economic cost at home. And pretending that any peace negotiations are just going to be between Ukraine and Russia is disingenuous on your part. Because the US and Europe will effectively be in those discussions as well, lending their weight to the Ukraine. Because this wouldn't just be about agreeing peace between two nations, it would be about what form that peace needs to take to get sanctions eased or removed on Russia.

If Russia goes into those saying "we keep the eastern part of Ukraine" and the EU/US say "if you try that, the sanctions remain fully in effect indefinitely" then that's a LOT of leverage working on the side of Ukraine. At the same time the carrot of removing those sanctions would be a strong argument for them getting the hell out completely. Especially if it's combined with a regime change in Russia (voluntary or involuntary).
    Forum goers thinking Ukraine needs to concede further territory to Russia isn't the way the wind is blowing in regards to the permanence of sanctions by the west on Russia.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe
    German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock made clear that sanctions against Russia will only be lifted after a complete withdrawal of its troops from Ukrainian territory, including the eastern Donbas region, another sign the penalties are set to stay for a prolonged period.

“It’s important that we can withstand every sanction that we introduce, if necessary, for years,” Baerbock told public broadcaster ARD on Sunday. “We will only lift these sanctions once the Russian troops have left.”

Notably, Baerbock included Crimea as an area that Russian troops would need to pull out from in order to get sanctions removed.
    Russian President Vladimir Putin annexed Crimea in 2014.
    Just to give an idea of that where Gaidax is at isn't how some of the actual major players in the real world on this are positioned at present.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Forum goers thinking Ukraine needs to concede further territory to Russia isn't the way the wind is blowing in regards to the permanence of sanctions by the west on Russia.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe

Just to give an idea of that where Gaidax is at isn't how some of the actual major players in the real world on this are positioned at present.
    I would add Putler and all his cohorts need to be removed from power to that demand. After that is done, maybe we'll re-evaluate our relationship with russia ~20 years from now. The shame of these warcrimes falls on the entire russian nation and cannot be forgiven so quickly.

That drove you to a wall? Dayum.

I'll repeat it again and I have no issue saying this. The only realistic, non-fantasy way this will come to an end is through agreement and in this agreement Ukraine will have to give up some stuff at least for the time being.

No amount of Twitter memes will change the reality that Ukraine can't really militarily take back Crimea or Donbas, so yes when agreement inevitably comes at the very very least Ukraine will be forced to put Crimea on hold in one way or another and pray Donbas returns to Ukraine as some of autonomy.
    Based on what? Ukraine is holding, the Russian army is depleting more and more every day and will soon collapse, yet again. And they already redirected all their forced to one area in order to stabilise last time.

I see no reason to believe Ukraine can't wait out this offensive and then push back, especially with more and more heavy equipment being transferred to Ukraine.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I read latest "gem" by pope Francis and i gotta say....are they filming new Jackass in Vatican or something? What this grandpa is spewing stopped being funny a while ago.

Russia is doubling down on Lavrov's antisemitism. Israel demanded an apology and Russia is saying Israel is making anti-historical comments which explains why it is supporting a neo-nazi regime in Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I read latest "gem" by pope Francis and i gotta say....are they filming new Jackass in Vatican or something? What this grandpa is spewing stopped being funny a while ago.
    What was the wisdom of the old git this time?

Russia is doubling down on Lavrov's antisemitism. Israel demanded an apology and Russia is saying Israel is making anti-historical comments which explains why it is supporting a neo-nazi regime in Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-...ost_type=share
    Not surprising here. In Russia's rhetoric, Russia is never wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    What was the wisdom of the old git this time?
    That russian invasion is result of "Nato barking at russian door". Holy fuck grandpa.