10+ Year Old Account
    Wait a second:

Russa had a young nazi training program for 4 years now.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    It's not even math, trying to point out to him, that numbers taken out of the arse, is not usable in any argument. I guess that went over your head.
    Nope. I got exactly what you were saying. You were just playing with a faulty premise when you decided to embarrass yourself. Clearly the only numbers being "taken out of the arse" are yours, because what he said was not false. China and India together are 2.8 billion, which is certainly close enough to the low end of his range of 3 billion to not warrant the shitty response you made. Especially considering the fact that, as pointed out, the remaining countries bring it over 4 billion.

So the other poster was at least close with China + India, and made the point with the other countries added in. You, on the other hand, just made up some numbers in order to combat a point that really didn't need fighting.

I mean, in what world is "I think you're making up numbers, so I'm going to pointlessly make up numbers even worse than you!" in any way close to an adult response? Grow up.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The British are estimating that Russia has lost one third of the combat ground forces it initially assembled for the invasion.
    Son of a сука, that's bad. Holy shit.

Related:

1) McDonalds announced they were fleeing Russia entirely and their stock barely even flinched. They're selling off their stake after 32 years.

2) Russia is intentionally blocking humanitarian aid, possibly because this is genocide, possibly because Putin sent them into a year-long war with one week of food, and they don't want to starve to death.

3) This happened:

"Mr. McConnell, why are you wearing a pink tie?"
    "Well it used to be red, but I washed it with my robe."
    "Uh...look! A distraction!"

Alternate caption:
    "You should look over there, where the sun isn't."
    "Yeah I know...but I'm a Trump supporter."

4) India announced a wheat export ban, as they're already losing a lot of their crop to a heat wave. This, combined with Russia fucking with the market already, spiked prices. This is a massive windfall to the US ag market.

5) The EU is preparing another round of sanctions.

6) Basically every news source says Sweden will vote to join NATO soon, maybe even today. Russia shakes its fist angrily.

Problems are being created for no reason at all. We shall react accordingly.
    -- Putin, the reason Sweden and Finland joined NATO, and man unable to react

6) NATO openly says Ukraine can win this war.

"That sounds like projection. Surely NATO did not use those exact words."

NATO’s Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Sunday that “Ukraine can win this war” following an informal meeting of the group.
    For the record, I have multiple times said they wouldn't...but could they? That's up to Russia. Russia, as we've seen, is throwing everything from repurposed dishwashers to repurposed sailors at the problem, which could be for a variety of reasons, but I believe it's because Putin sees a full-scale mobilization against a smaller country as a weakness. Remember when the National Guard was sent to Iraq and Afghanistan so we wouldn't have to draft? A scumsucking cockbrain move by W who used the National Guard to dodge Vietnam? Putin's doing that, basically searching under the sofa cushions for loose change rather than hit the ATM. The very week Russia decides to go all-in, actually spending the time, effort, and resources of someone who wants to fight and win a war, Ukraine is finished.

Now, I'm sure some of you will say Russia can't do that, that their corrupt military is plagued with problems from incompetent officers to low-morale troops to equipment that won't work. I hope you're right, but I also think Russia just has the sheer weight of numbers to end this if they really wanted to. So far, Putin hasn't shown he really wants to win. A Heroic raid-geared tank can solo a Heroic dungeon, but not if they pull the entire thing at once, including all 3-5 bosses...well maybe a DK, but that's it. Point is, Russia's not going full force, and it's either because they can't or they don't want to. I think it's the second. I'm okay with never finding out.

Point is, things have changed to the point that we are no longer talking about how long Ukraine survives, but legitimately non-sarcastically if Ukraine can actually push Russia out. People have posted scattered reports of counter-offenses up to Russia's border. And "that could be anyone's building fire!" has come up a lot. Ukraine has done one amazing job, stopping what we until recently thought was a superpower, and while I still don't see them winning, I would no longer put money on it.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2022-05-16 at 01:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    For the record, I have multiple times said they wouldn't...but could they? That's up to Russia. Russia, as we've seen, is throwing everything from repurposed dishwashers to repurposed sailors at the problem, which could be for a variety of reasons, but I believe it's because Putin sees a full-scale mobilization against a smaller country as a weakness. Remember when the National Guard was sent to Iraq and Afghanistan so we wouldn't have to draft? A scumsucking cockbrain move by W who used the National Guard to dodge Vietnam? Putin's doing that, basically searching under the sofa cushions for loose change rather than hit the ATM. The very week Russia decides to go all-in, actually spending the time, effort, and resources of someone who wants to fight and win a war, Ukraine is finished.

Now, I'm sure some of you will say Russia can't do that, that their corrupt military is plagued with problems from incompetent officers to low-morale troops to equipment that won't work. I hope you're right, but I also think Russia just has the sheer weight of numbers to end this if they really wanted to. So far, Putin hasn't shown he really wants to win. A Heroic raid-geared tank can solo a Heroic dungeon, but not if they pull the entire thing at once, including all 3-5 bosses...well maybe a DK, but that's it. Point is, Russia's not going full force, and it's either because they can't or they don't want to. I think it's the second. I'm okay with never finding out.

Point is, things have changed to the point that we are no longer talking about how long Ukraine survives, but legitimately non-sarcastically if Ukraine can actually push Russia out. People have posted scattered reports of counter-offenses up to Russia's border. And "that could be anyone's building fire!" has come up a lot. Ukraine has done one amazing job, stopping what we until recently thought was a superpower, and while I still don't see them winning, I would no longer put money on it.
    You also need to take to account what winning entails, for example after the Winter War and the Continuation War Finland was deemed to have lost the war due to having to give up territory, but did they really lose? They kept their independence, and a lot of Finns would have told you at the time that that was winning and for the Karjala takas crowd, do we really want a thoroughly russified area back which will create a significant russian minority in Finland?

Now I'm not saying Ukraine should do that as they set their own win conditions and those may be not what we would see as winning, my point is: Winning is subjective. I would however keep an eye on Kherson and the area north of Izium the coming days/weeks.

I see nothing that would lead me to believe Ukraine cannot push Russia completely out and reclaim both 'republicans'. Perhaps stopping short of reclaiming Crimea.

Russia hasn't gained any meaningful ground in ages and is still losing material at an alarming rate while Ukraine is slowly pushing them back while more and more supplies are send to support them.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    You also need to take to account what winning entails
    Indeed. A topic that's come up here a few times is Russia forcing Ukraine to hand over yet another part of their sovereign country. Quite frankly, I would assume at this point Russia just wouldn't want it anymore. It clearly doesn't want them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post

Now I'm not saying Ukraine should do that as they set their own win conditions and those may be not what we would see as winning, my point is: Winning is subjective. I would however keep an eye on Kherson and the area north of Izium the coming days/weeks.
    At a glance both sides have changed their apparent public "win" conditions.
    Russia: Violently eradicate the Ukraine Nazi's, their sympathizers, and the system in charge while bringing the whole country back into the loving bosom of Mother Russia.
    Which became: Take over X cities, eradicate the Nazis.
    Which became: Take over small portion, having eradicated the Nazis already by leveling cities including Nazi men, Nazi women and Nazi children.
    Now they just need a banner saying "Миссия выполнена"

Ukraine: Make Russia pay in bodies and bucks before we're dead. In ass splattering amounts if possible. Survive as long as possible.
    Which became: Keep our independence, make them pay.
    Which became: Fight back...and win?
    Which became: Having overestimated Russia...push them back, retake what's ours!

As long as the Ukraine WANTS to keep fighting off the invasion, they'll get aid whether it's humanitarian, financial, or dakka.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    At a glance both sides have changed their apparent public "win" conditions.
    Russia: Violently eradicate the Ukraine Nazi's, their sympathizers, and the system in charge while bringing the whole country back into the loving bosom of Mother Russia.
    Which became: Take over X cities, eradicate the Nazis.
    Which became: Take over small portion, having eradicated the Nazis already by leveling cities including Nazi men, Nazi women and Nazi children.
    Now they just need a banner saying "Миссия выполнена"

Ukraine: Make Russia pay in bodies and bucks before we're dead. In ass splattering amounts if possible. Survive as long as possible.
    Which became: Keep our independence, make them pay.
    Which became: Fight back...and win?
    Which became: Having overestimated Russia...push them back, retake what's ours!

As long as the Ukraine WANTS to keep fighting off the invasion, they'll get aid whether it's humanitarian, financial, or dakka.
    It's a pyric victory for whichever country comes out on top, Ukraine was already in deep debt before the invasion, the "aid" isn't free money it's being added to their considerable debt. The millions of people that have fled will be settled in other countries and will not be return. That's not even going into the even larger debt load they will have to take on to rebuild.

The massive corruption problems the country has didn't vanish because they are fighting a war. It's going to be a shit show either way freedom isn't cheap I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It's a pyric victory for whichever country comes out on top
    Ukraine was attacked for no reason by what should have been a vastly superior foe. I wish there was a better term for this situation.

"He was attacked by a bear!"
    "Holy shit, did it kill him?"
    "No, broke both his arms and a few ribs, but he managed to chase the bear away!"
    "Oh man, what a pyrrhic victory."

Seriously the fact that any level of victory can realistically be obtained is massive. We all knew this war they didn't start was going to cost them dearly.

Related: Russian state-run TV says they should use nukes. I think they've done that before.

Still comes off as saber-rattling more than a buildup to the actual launch. One, Russia's nukes might not work anymore. Two, nobody in their right or even most of their wrong mind would nuke their own border when the prevailing winds blow into their face.

Seriously the fact that any level of victory can realistically be obtained is massive. We all knew this war they didn't start was going to cost them dearly.

Related: Russian state-run TV says they should use nukes. I think they've done that before.

Still comes off as saber-rattling more than a buildup to the actual launch. One, Russia's nukes might not work anymore. Two, nobody in their right or even most of their wrong mind would nuke their own border when the prevailing winds blow into their face.
    Any victory is going to take years unless something changes in Russia, the nuke talk is just saber rattling. There are so many ways to induce nuke level of destruction without having to resort to one. Aside from pure shock and awe or for Russia to be the second country to use nukes on civilians after the US I do not see the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any victory is going to take years unless something changes in Russia, the nuke talk is just saber rattling.
    Agreed and agreed. What I hope changes in Russia is "Russia gives up and goes home". Putin might realize that murdering his own army isn't very wise, or he might have second thoughts on the way out the fifth-floor window while suffering from food poisoning. Oh, wait, he's hiding in his bunker like a fat orange bitch. Well point stands, someone might kill Putin and take over and end the war.

Besides that, yeah, it won't be soon. Putin doesn't care about the people he's sending without food or ammo to die, and Ukraine has proven they're not giving up.

It's a pyric victory for whichever country comes out on top, Ukraine was already in deep debt before the invasion, the "aid" isn't free money it's being added to their considerable debt. The millions of people that have fled will be settled in other countries and will not be return. That's not even going into the even larger debt load they will have to take on to rebuild.

The massive corruption problems the country has didn't vanish because they are fighting a war. It's going to be a shit show either way freedom isn't cheap I suppose.
    No, freedom isn't cheap. But it sure as shit beats being a Russian puppet state for the rest of the foreseeable future...

Seriously, there is no such thing as a pyric victory when you survive as a state against overwhelming odds.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed and agreed. What I hope changes in Russia is "Russia gives up and goes home". Putin might realize that murdering his own army isn't very wise, or he might have second thoughts on the way out the fifth-floor window while suffering from food poisoning. Oh, wait, he's hiding in his bunker like a fat orange bitch. Well point stands, someone might kill Putin and take over and end the war.

Besides that, yeah, it won't be soon. Putin doesn't care about the people he's sending without food or ammo to die, and Ukraine has proven they're not giving up.
    Safe to assume the bunker is below ground.
    Be a shame if someone wanting to take over cut the power/lines to the bunker. Especially anything for the door of poor Putinato.
    Yes, for the love of God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Safe to assume the bunker is below ground.
    Be a shame if someone wanting to take over cut the power/lines to the bunker. Especially anything for the door of poor Putinato.
    Yes, for the love of God.
    "Falling out of the window from an underground bunker isn't impossible, merely improbable", Some Dictator somewhere, probably.

I dunno though, he doesn't look as confident as he usually does in his photos today.

Is it bad that my spidey sense is tingling?

I mean, expansion was an issue...
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-05-16 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Most India's military equipment is from Russia. It would cost them a lot of money if they had to rebuy all that stuff.
    According to SIPRI, Russia share of the global arms market dropped by 22% from 26% to 20% between the period of 2011 - 2015 and 2016 - 2020 (see below). In the period between 2019 - 2020, that share dropped to 8.9%. In fact in 2019, for the first time China surpassed Russia with 16% of the market share. More and more the world is turning to US and China for their means of killing people. The US share of the global arms market in 2019 was 51%, with US companies in the top 5, and 12 US companies in the top 25. The biggest factor for the decline in Russia’s share of the global arms market is India.

The spare part market is the most profitable sector of arms market. Basically, now that you have bought our advanced equipment, you are stuck paying whatever price we want to keep the equipment running. This is the one sector where Russia has failed to meet demand. The problem is so severe, India has turned to domestic manufacturing for Russian spare parts. India’s purchase of Russian’s weapons dropped 53% between the period of 2011 - 2015 and 2016 - 2020.

If the Ukraine war is of any indicator, it appears that the problem with Russian arms manufacturing is even worse than suspected. Since India is not likely to buy weapons from China, I suspect that in the next 10 years we will see a gradual shift toward US/EU weapons.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2022-05-16 at 04:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    it appears that the problem with Russian arms manufacturing is even worse than suspected.
    Their recent advertising demo surely isn't doing them any favors. "Our very best tanks have almost 20% success against mud, made from the two most common substances on the planet!"

Their recent advertising demo surely isn't doing them any favors. "Our very best tanks have almost 20% success against mud, made from the two most common substances on the planet!"
    Guessing a lot of spare used parts all over the Ukraine country side, maybe work out a deal with them.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Erdogan is the new wrinkle, claiming in strongly worded language that Turkey won't approve Sweden and Finland's NATO membership. It is a big problem since the voting for approval must be unanimous. It is in response to Sweden and Finland's past comments and stance on the Turkish treatment of Kurds and Armenian minorities. Erdogan went further today telling Sweden and Finland's diplomats to not bother flying to Turkey to try to change their minds. So this is suddenly a pretty major hurdle for their NATO membership and something to watch.

Sometimes Turkey will take a hard stance as a bargaining ploy hoping to get concessions out a deal (F-35?). Or possibly Finland and Sweden are able to smooth things out with Turkey against seemingly long odds diplomatically. The other possibility would be NATO could force pressure on Turkey to approve it, but that seems much less likely. The most probable outcome seems like one of those quiet deals where Turkey eventually agrees to reluctantly approve it, and conveniently they have new some new hardware show up soon after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Erdogan just wants what he always wants - $$ and flex. It's same reason he holds Syrian refugees too.

In the end someone will toss some greenbacks his way, look other way on some stuff and it will be all good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    Erdogan is the new wrinkle
    What? One of Trump's friends taking political action against someone who called him mean names? What a shock.

I mean, if the problem is Turkey defending their oppression of minorities, well, maybe NATO has another way to make the vote unanimous.