10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Why he couldn't? Russia is authoritarian country sliding into dictatorship. "Removing" failures is not impossible for them.
    I spent quite a lot of time here explaining to the people it's not all black and white and 0 to 100 km/h in 0.5 seconds.

Russia of today is not Soviet Union of 20s-40s. It being authoritarian state, does not mean that it automatically executes people in droves for opposing/defecting/dodging. There is a lot of shit going on, but mass executions of their own "traitors" and "enemies of the people" is not on the menu.

Some specific people may slip off balconies or get served tea, but it's not Soviet times where millions were shot/starved/worked to death by grampa Stalin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    It would be hilarious if Ukraine pulled a counter invasion and started annexing Russian territory for taking Crimea.
    That would be bad...like REALLY bad, russia would say that's an existential threat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Some data analysts had looked at Eurovision before and concluded that you cannot win on sympathy alone and sympathy votes really only affect the middle of the pack; the good ones will still be on top and bad ones will still be at the bottom.

This year, Ukraine was in fourth place after the jury awarded points and before viewer's votes were tallied.
    And juries are prohibited to award sympathy votes? No they aren't. It's been a decades old practice where neighboring countries give each other the full amount of points. This year that didn't happen a lot. Wonder why....
    It wasn't a bad song but without this invasion it would never made top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Because nowadays, you can't make that much people disappear without someone noticing. Maybe in North Korea, they can, but not in Russia, not yet, they are not that closed to the outside world.
    And what would outside world do if some Russian generals did disappear? Sanction them harder?

7+ Year Old Account
    And what would outside world do if some Russian generals did disappear? Sanction them harder?
    Outside world? Not much. Fellow Russians in power, seeing how their Glorious Leader™ starts going apeshit? Quite a lot. Putler does not have Stalin lvl of power and terror, and they wont stand for his paranoia. He starts executing high ranking officials, he gets quickly and quietly deposed.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-05-17 at 02:16 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Why though? What could they do that they are not already doing? How much more "strength" do you think the Russian army has?

Hell at this point are we even sure that they actually have nukes? Are we sure they even work? Lol
    how about we don't take that risk if we don't have to.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Putin does not have a cult of personality going quite as invasive as that of Stalin were in the mid 20th century soviet union, alongside a whole heap of more ideological communist undercurrents backing him up in that.

It is not certain by any means he would be able to stay on top of internal opposition to repressions on say the scale of the Great Purge of the 30s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Why though? What could they do that they are not already doing? How much more "strength" do you think the Russian army has?

Hell at this point are we even sure that they actually have nukes? Are we sure they even work? Lol
    As Gorsameth says: let's not try to find out. I know people are questioning it, but I really don't want to find out whether or not they work.

Are we talking about "some generals" or a part of the population ? I thought we spoke about the latter. If it is the former, the West could not care less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Are we talking about "some generals" or a part of the population ? I thought we spoke about the latter. If it is the former, the West could not care less.
    "Some generals" maybe sent to the front lines for displeasing Glorious Leader.
    Gets rid of them, puts the blame on the Ukraine, and can be used as a icon to rally the troops around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    The population argument is completely irrelevant in the first place, why? Because while a country's goverment speaks on behalf of the country, they do not represent the opinion of every single citizen. I'm sure your president does not represent your opinion at all times.
    I mean, the same could obviously be said about the countries that voted "yes". Also, this attempted goalpost shift doesn't justify you making up numbers.

So we're back to the pointless "x billion people is on russias side", since you're arguing for the fact that half the worlds population is on Russias side, it's on you to present that fact, which is in fact impossible.
    Actually, no, that's not what I'm arguing. And the burden is, in fact, the other way around if you'd been paying any attention at all to this chain of posts. It's blatantly clear that you haven't.

And again, a simple google would have removed the need to put up a question, which simply is an escape for inflating a number by more than 25%.
    It's like you keep wanting to ignore the fact that the 3b was written at all. So no; it's not even remotely near 25%. And again, since you seem to be hard of hearing, China + India was only ever an intermediary number and was never stated to more than half the global population. That was made abundantly clear by the post.

Now you're more than welcome to stay in your "U DID A WRONG AND I INTERNETOWNT U ON IT!!1" track if you want to, but while I seem to feed into your idea of owning people on the internet, you provide nothing that resembles an intelligent discussion for me, which is why the ignore button is a lovely tool.
    You made up numbers, I posted factual ones.

Again, one of those is what most people would call "intelligent discussion", but I can see now that your definition of "intelligence" is woefully divorced from reality. So sure, crawl away and hide from making a real response. This farce of yours has gone on far too long already.

Now please do go on with projecting your insecurities.
    Lulz, now you're projecting about projecting? Very meta.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

https://www.newsweek.com/tucker-carl...ne-aid-1707267

Tuckers still playing to Vladdy Putin.

"The more I think about it, it takes a lot of gall for eye patch McCain to attack moms who are worried about baby formula as pro-Russia," Carlson said. "That is probably one of the most outrageous things I have ever heard now that I am thinking about it. Why not just answer the question, why the attacks? What does that tell you?"
    Republicans favorite former Democratic Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard was also in attendance. Carlson continues to seem like a very nice person and not a piece of shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/tucker-carl...ne-aid-1707267

Tuckers still playing to Vladdy Putin.

Republicans favorite former Democratic Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard was also in attendance. Carlson continues to seem like a very nice person and not a piece of shit.
    Don't forget that Cucker had a tantrum a few years ago when SNL made fun of Dan Crenshaw.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently the G7 and the EU are discussing the possibility of seizing the Russian central banks frozen assets and giving it to Ukraine to help finance aid and Russia is, of course, having a tantrum, calling it theft. The Kremlin did not elaborate on how they intended to compensate Ukrainians who had their property stolen by the Russian terrorists looting the country.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Apparently the G7 and the EU are discussing the possibility of seizing the Russian central banks frozen assets and giving it to Ukraine to help finance aid and Russia is, of course, having a tantrum, calling it theft. The Kremlin did not elaborate on how they intended to compensate Ukrainians who had their property stolen by the Russian terrorists looting the country.
    Two Adida's track suits, a gallon of vodka, and a carton of cigarettes.

But only if Ukraine agrees to share their borscht recipe, first.

Don't forget that Cucker had a tantrum a few years ago when SNL made fun of Dan Crenshaw.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a great idea. Doubt Russias opinion on the matter will be considered at all.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Some will say it sets a bad precedent and can be abused in the future.
    I say fuck em, it's an object lesson in "Don't be a dick."
    "But it could happen to the US next time we need to boost our economy, thin the young adult population, or oil."
    It would happen if you were being a dick. So don't be a dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm of two minds here, on the one hand it's probably the only way to recoup losses for Ukraine from russia, on the other hand I don't know how legal this is, and it opens up economic retaliation. I would proceed very carefully.

I cannot WAIT for Putin to finally die. I bet there is a mad scramble to grab any sort of asset that can be grabbed from Russia to start selling so people can escape the collapse. I'd be shocked if we don't get some kompromat drops from people who stole files and who sell those files for a one-way trip out of Russia.

It also stops those Russian assets from being used as a bargain chip in the future to get Russia to play nice.
    See Iran getting some of their foreign reserves returned in exchange for getting rid of their nuclear program (before Trump fucked that up)
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    See Iran getting some of their foreign reserves returned in exchange for getting rid of their nuclear program (before Trump fucked that up)
    You've fallen for GOP propaganda, I'm afraid. The latter was never conditional on the former, and the only thing linking them together at all was the coincidence of timing; Iran took the US to court over those assets years earlier, and the court had already determined that we were required to return them regardless.