Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What is there to be confused about?
    that everything russia says or does contradicts their strong man image. they seem like massive pussies.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    that everything russia says or does contradicts their strong man image. they seem like massive pussies.
    Listen here, I will revealed some ancient and arcane knowledge to you. Are you ready?

Everything russia says is a lie. 100% of the time.

Because Russia simply needs to pretend to be powerful, they cannot keep a dictatorship strong and active otherwise. Don't forget Holodomor, the famine they artificially created in Ukraine long ago. They cannot fight a conventional war and succeed, all they have are terror tactics against the helpless.

3 day war. Capture Kyiv and parade on the streets. Ez gg.

I guess Russia's own corruption and the yes-men convincing Putin about their strenght ended their fake pretender might

As a side-note, you should always be wary of strongman-type of leadership. These people often have problems with insecurity. They tend to be overly aggressive, boastful and/or controlling as a result of their insecurity - bad qualities for a leader.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

on a meaningful note: doesn't this whole Ukraine affair illustrate that the US is also a paper tiger? Besides the strength boasting, it claims its intel and secret service capabilities are top of the world. But up until this war, it assumed Russia was a strong army. That's evidently not good intel.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

on a meaningful note: doesn't this whole Ukraine affair illustrate that the US is also a paper tiger? Besides the strength boasting, it claims its intel and secret service capabilities are top of the world. But up until this war, it assumed Russia was a strong army. That's evidently not good intel.
    Perspective is skewed when the only wars Russia has had recently are against far weaker opponents. What comes to Ukraine is that Russia has disarmed Ukraine ever since collapse of USSR, and that is why now it seemed for a while that the invasion is going to be over fast.

Same for US, waging war across the ocean trying to occupy a vastly different land that is alien to US troops, with natives that are united under a single ideology, seeing themselves as the last line of defense of their way of life. Despite things like Taliban not really being a good goverment...Can't convince them to adopt a western lifestyle where people are supposed to be equal and everything is not controlled by religion. But that is off-topic, so I'll leave it at that...

In essence, no amount of intel can have ALL the information of your opponents strenghts and weaknesses.

US army is far more than capable of exterminating a hostile land's goverment, but long-standing occupation across great distance will never work. And in Russia's case, the said nukes are an effective deterrent despite of their utter failure of an army.
    Last edited by Saradain; 2022-08-01 at 10:06 AM.

So the US would intervene, but hypothetically, could Putin take on Japan just by itself?

Russian President Vladimir Putin has emphasized that waters around four Russian-held islands claimed by Japan are strategically important. He pledged to use all possible means to defend the area.

Putin signed an executive order approving a new Maritime Doctrine on Sunday, when a celebration was held in St. Petersburg to mark Russia's Navy Day.

Putin said in a speech that the doctrine clearly defines the boundaries and areas of Russia's national interests.

He added that vital strategic areas include the Black Sea, the Sea of Okhotsk, and waters around the Kuril Islands. The president said Russia will protect those areas by all means.

What Russians call the Kuril Islands include four Russian-controlled islands that are claimed by Japan.

Japan calls the islands the Northern Territories. The Japanese government maintains the islands are an inherent part of Japan's territory. It says the islands were illegally occupied after World War Two.

The new doctrine divides the areas of Russia's interests in the world's oceans into three categories --"vitally important," "important" and "others." It categorizes the waters around the Northern Territories as "important."

The document also lists the main challenges and threats to Russia's national security, including territorial claims over its islands.

Other security threats mentioned in the doctrine include what it calls the US strategic policy to dominate the world's oceans, and the expansion of the NATO military infrastructure towards Russian borders.

The document says Russia may use mostly diplomatic or economic measures to defend its national interests in the areas it defines as "important," but may use military forces depending on the situation.

So the US would intervene, but hypothetically, could Putin take on Japan just by itself?

Russian President Vladimir Putin has emphasized that waters around four Russian-held islands claimed by Japan are strategically important. He pledged to use all possible means to defend the area.

Putin signed an executive order approving a new Maritime Doctrine on Sunday, when a celebration was held in St. Petersburg to mark Russia's Navy Day.

Putin said in a speech that the doctrine clearly defines the boundaries and areas of Russia's national interests.

He added that vital strategic areas include the Black Sea, the Sea of Okhotsk, and waters around the Kuril Islands. The president said Russia will protect those areas by all means.

What Russians call the Kuril Islands include four Russian-controlled islands that are claimed by Japan.

Japan calls the islands the Northern Territories. The Japanese government maintains the islands are an inherent part of Japan's territory. It says the islands were illegally occupied after World War Two.

The new doctrine divides the areas of Russia's interests in the world's oceans into three categories --"vitally important," "important" and "others." It categorizes the waters around the Northern Territories as "important."

The document also lists the main challenges and threats to Russia's national security, including territorial claims over its islands.

Other security threats mentioned in the doctrine include what it calls the US strategic policy to dominate the world's oceans, and the expansion of the NATO military infrastructure towards Russian borders.

The document says Russia may use mostly diplomatic or economic measures to defend its national interests in the areas it defines as "important," but may use military forces depending on the situation.
    https://www.mod.go.jp/en/j-us-allian...nts/index.html

If a nation plans to attack Japan, the attacker must be prepared to confront not only the defense capability of the Self-Defense Forces (SDF), but also the overwhelming military strength of the United States, due to the U.S. obligation to defend Japan in the event of an armed attack.
    nope.jpg

I mean for your actual question - Russia can't take over Ukraine, what do you think would happen if a far more modern defense army of Japan would be beating the shit out of the orcs?

Also, Japan is an island. Russia's navy vs simple trolling to look elsewhere with drones and BOOM NEPTUNE is just laughworthy. Russia has no meaningful easy way to land an invasion to Japan, when they seem to rely on land forces mainly.
    Last edited by Saradain; 2022-08-01 at 10:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Also, Japan is an island. Russia's navy vs simple trolling to look elsewhere with drones and BOOM NEPTUNE is just laughworthy. Russia has no meaningful easy way to land an invasion to Japan, when they seem to rely on land forces mainly.
    I would also remind everyone of what happened the last time russia's fleet went to play with the Japanese fleet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I would also remind everyone of what happened the last time russia's fleet went to play with the Japanese fleet.
    It's amazing that 115 years after Tsushima Straight, Russia's military hasn't change one bit in its competency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Firing on fishing trawlers in the north sea mistaking them for Japanese torpedo boats?

Yeah, that's an episode of Russian incompetence at sea we don't really need a repeat of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    It's amazing that 115 years after Tsushima Straight, Russia's military hasn't change one bit in its competency.
    That appears to be the Russian way. Big numbers of stuff that looks good from the distance, and you are good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Apparently russians decided to really go all in for the artificial famine plan:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62367356

One of Ukraine's richest businessmen has been killed with his wife in "massive" Russian shelling of the southern city of Mykolaiv.

Oleksiy Vadatursky, 74, and his wife Raisa died when a missile hit their home overnight, local officials said.

Mr Vadatursky owned Nibulon, a company involved in grain exports. He had also received the "Hero of Ukraine" award.
    Seeing the man seemed to be heavily invested in the whole grain business...Now he is dead because russians will weaponize hunger once more by any means necessary while also trying to get allies from Africa, region where the famine will likely hurt badly. Question is, why would any african nation even consider Russia as an ally?

An adviser to President Zelensky's office said he believed Russia had deliberately targeted the businessman.

Mykhailo Podolyak said one of the missiles had hit the businessman's bedroom, adding that this left "no doubt" it had been guided.

Nibulon has built many storage facilities and other infrastructure for exporting grain.

Ukraine and Russia are major exporters of wheat and other grains, and the disruption of exports caused by the war has sent food prices soaring worldwide.

The two countries signed a UN-brokered agreement in Turkey last week, aimed at easing the food crisis. The deal was almost derailed by a Russian attack on the Odesa port the following day.
    Yeah, classic Russia. Everyone else is to blame but them, the ones actually genociding civilians on purpose and ensuring a whole continent will suffer from famine.

Ergo, Russia is a threat to all mankind and it should cease to exist as a singular nation, land divided back to the original peoples it forcibly absorbed. Or that's what I would see as a desirable outcome. Complete and total disarmament, to never become a military threat again.
    What will happen, as people have said several times, is after Putin dies Russia will indeed dissolve as a nation. That's because Putin does not think of anyone but himself to plan out a succession, let alone his own death in mind. Russia will divide into smaller terrorist states run by warlords armed with and wrestling over nuclear weapons with one another, extending their threats and coercions to the rest of the world.

So as a whole, there is no positive outcome. Russia is indeed a threat to everyone and everything, but it cannot be extinguished. America just wasted its chance there within the time frame after Hiroshima and now has to own up to it.

What will happen, as people have said several times, is after Putin dies Russia will indeed dissolve as a nation. That's because Putin does not think of anyone but himself to plan out a succession, let alone his own death in mind. Russia will divide into smaller terrorist states run by warlords armed with and wrestling over nuclear weapons with one another.

So as a whole, there is no positive outcome. Russia is indeed a threat to everyone and everything, but it cannot be extinguished. America just wasted its chance there after Hiroshima and now has to own up to it.
    Don't you worry, there will be another oligarch taking Putin's place, a one that wishes to remain filthy rich and alive. What happens to the state affairs and their form of ruling remains to be seen. One can hope they'll be less of suicidical invasion form of politics.

There is no way that Russia and their colossal amount of land and resources would simply be forsaken and them dissolving.

Don't you worry, there will be another oligarch taking Putin's place
    it will be a bloody battle for power between multiple oligarchs, not just one guy pre-planned to take the throne.

it will be a bloody battle for power between multiple oligarchs, not just one guy pre-planned to take the throne.
    Have you seen the previous "elections"? Putin, Medvedev, Putin.

Russia is corrupt to the core, there are no democratic elections and Putin will ensure his friends will continue the reign.

And so what if it is a bloody battle for power? Let Russia crumble as much as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you seen the previous "elections"? Putin, Medvedev, Putin.

Russia is corrupt to the core, there are no democratic elections and Putin will ensure his friends will continue the reign.

And so what if it is a bloody battle for power? Let Russia crumble as much as possible.
    I'd not bet the farm on that. Look I know putin probably has someone in mind, but being the heir apparent and actually getting into power are two different things, just ask Trotsky, Beria and a whole slew of heirs that had "mysterious" accidents...

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    And barely at all in hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aw...poor Yuppie.

putin lies, of course, even when he says something sensible. Yet, I prefer this tone over imminent doom.

Edit: Maybe putin discovered MAD or his generals told him "no". Either way, I DON'T want to test it.
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-08-01 at 06:07 PM.