10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    By some accounts it is more than 100 kilometres long. Thats a lot of traffic.

Its a good thing that Ukrainians don't fire on civilian convoys, unlike Russians.

- - - Updated - - -

This one is almost amusing - there was a leak of mailboxes from the Russian military prosecutor's office which Bellingcat has been investigating. Amongst them were numerous almost identical complaints from officers about their superiors. Why? Well, they admit to repeatedly violating army rules, being tardy and not following orders, complained to their superiors about it - and their superiors weren't sacking them.
    Soooo...they WANT to get out so they deliberately act that way but their superiors refuse to fire them that's the complaint? Do I get that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Soooo...they WANT to get out so they deliberately act that way but their superiors refuse to fire them that's the complaint? Do I get that right?
    Yeah, that appears to be what is going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, guess morale is reaching breaking point then

Well, guess morale is reaching breaking point then
    There is a reason that the Chechens are reportedly being used as good old fashioned soviet-style blocking units.

And more on the traffic jam - a russian colonist crying as they flee. Interestingly, part of the problem seems to be that the authorities are searching the cars. Got to wonder what that is for, unless it is a good old fashioned shake down.

Got to wonder what that is for, unless it is a good old fashioned shake down.
    Secret Nazi's, obviously. That's the whole reason for the 3-day special operation.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a reason that the Chechens are reportedly being used as good old fashioned soviet-style blocking units.

And more on the traffic jam - a russian colonist crying as they flee. Interestingly, part of the problem seems to be that the authorities are searching the cars. Got to wonder what that is for, unless it is a good old fashioned shake down.

Probably a combination of shakedown and legitimate checking for saboteurs.

Blocking units...you mean like the commissars with machine guns firing at anyone who retreats? Lovely...

That's the rumour, yes. The Chechens have been deployed on the east side of the Dnieper near Kherson to stop Russian troops on the west side from retreating.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's telling though, I'm guessing they need just a little push to turn on the Chechens, which would be bad news for Kadyrov. If/when Kherson is liberated Ukraine might be looking at a lot of POWs, and a lot of dead Chechens, not necessarily by Ukrainian hands.

So called DNR is now just going through homes looking for men to impress as artillery fodder. Grabbing anyone they find off the street is no longer enough. I hope Cynep is safe.

https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status...23303258390528

- - - Updated - - -

]
    It's speculated the attack on the airbase wasn't a missile strike, but Ukrainian SOF, so they may be looking for them.

The discourse days later is still no one can confidently tell how the Ukrainians pulled it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Finlandia WOAT View Post
    So called DNR is now just going through homes looking for men to impress as artillery fodder. Grabbing anyone they find off the street is no longer enough. I hope Cynep is safe.

https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status...23303258390528
    Uh...I feel like we were joking about Russia replicating their WWII strategies of throwing bodies at their enemy until they run out of bullets. It wasn't supposed to be a prediction.

Grains of salt, but man if this is true Russia really is going all-in to the point where they're setting themselves up for future disaster. In addition to the current disaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Uh...I feel like we were joking about Russia replicating their WWII strategies of throwing bodies at their enemy until they run out of bullets. It wasn't supposed to be a prediction.

Grains of salt, but man if this is true Russia really is going all-in to the point where they're setting themselves up for future disaster. In addition to the current disaster.
    This isn't helping russia's demographics for sure. Those will implode in the coming years.

Sweden extradites a man to Turkey

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

I mean, that only really worked in WW2 because Germany was fighting a two-front war and had unwisely chosen to pursue Russia into the Russian heartland during a crushing winter.

Ukraine isn't fighting anyone else... much to the contrary they're receiving active support from nations all too eager to give them weapons to blow up the Russians with. And they have no intent on pursuing Russia back across the border.

But speaking of WW2 strategies, I don't imagine that Russia will fare particularly well if/when they find themselves facing those same winters that saved them from Germany. If they're having difficulties supplying their troops now, I can only imagine the rude situation they'll find themselves in when they need those supplies... to keep from freezing to death.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I mean, that only really worked in WW2 because Germany was fighting a two-front war and had unwisely chosen to pursue Russia into the Russian heartland during a crushing winter.

Ukraine isn't fighting anyone else... much to the contrary they're receiving active support from nations all too eager to give them weapons to blow up the Russians with. And they have no intent on pursuing Russia back across the border.

But speaking of WW2 strategies, I don't imagine that Russia will fare particularly well if/when they find themselves facing those same winters that saved them from Germany. If they're having difficulties supplying their troops now, I can only imagine the rude situation they'll find themselves in when they need those supplies... to keep from freezing to death.
    We also have autumn incoming as well. Those swamps will normally return and everything basically becomes stuck in mud. It's really only summer anything can get done.

Russia is desperate for bodies, hence the pressgangs going after anyone who can stand on two legs. Though you have to wonder why those doing the pressganging aren't off fighting themselves. And it is why Russia throwing the undermanned, barely trained 'volunteer' units straight into the front line.

Meanwhile, Turkey and Khazahstan have just signed a military intelligence sharing protocol, and Russia isn't happy. (But when are they?) As a member of CSTO, Khazakhstan has intelligence that would be sensitive to the Russian and they fear it could be sent to Turkey, who would share it with the rest of NATO.

There is more going on than that - it is a continuation of Khazakhstan's efforts to break free from Russia, while it is weak. And it seems to be part of Turkey's efforts to forge some kind of pan-Turkic grouping. They already have close ties to Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan, so adding Khazakstan to that would further that aim.

Russia is desperate for bodies, hence the pressgangs going after anyone who can stand on two legs. Though you have to wonder why those doing the pressganging aren't off fighting themselves. And it is why Russia throwing the undermanned, barely trained 'volunteer' units straight into the front line.

Meanwhile, Turkey and Khazahstan have just signed a military intelligence sharing protocol, and Russia isn't happy. (But when are they?) As a member of CSTO, Khazakhstan has intelligence that would be sensitive to the Russian and they fear it could be sent to Turkey, who would share it with the rest of NATO.

There is more going on than that - it is a continuation of Khazakhstan's efforts to break free from Russia, while it is weak. And it seems to be part of Turkey's efforts to forge some kind of pan-Turkic grouping. They already have close ties to Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan, so adding Khazakstan to that would further that aim.
    Turkey has been building (very successfully) a pan Turkic group for a while now cosying up to the central asian republics plus Azerbaijan. This has actually been one of the smart things the country has been doing and one of the reasons central asia is slipping out of Russia's influence over the past few years. (It's going slow but I think it's more the whole slow boil a frog thing and being done deliberately that way)

Generally I'm more surprised the PRC hasn't been pushing harder into the region, basically as a boss move to Putin telling him that it's China's hemesphere now not Russia's, I know Xi wants cordial relations but at the same time China does want its own sphere of influence too and there are many resources to be exploited in the area.

China has been investing a lot in the central asian region as it is crucial for their belt and road system. Russia badly weakening itself is likely to speed up loosing its influence, though how its pans out between China and Turkey might be interesting.

10+ Year Old Account

Adding to this, the Uzbek embassy in Moscow has reminded Uzbeks that going to fight for russia in Ukraine is punishable by up to 10 years in prison. In other words: russia, don't even THINK about trying to use our population for your war.

Better post this one before our resident geopolitical NOOOOOOOKES expert makes a return.

Kremlin propagandist Solovyev has reacted badly to the idea of the EU denying visas to Russians saying it is a direct entry into the war, that it is a threat to the existence of Russia and may lead to a preventative nuclear strike.
    Last edited by Corvus; 2022-08-12 at 05:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Better post this one before our resident geopolitical NOOOOOOOKES expert makes a return.

Kremlin propagandist Solovyev has reacted badly to the idea of the EU denying visas to Russians saying it is a direct entry into the war, that it is a threat to the existence of Russia and may lead to a preventative nuclear strike.
    Thing is I personally don't support a visa ban. Probably not for the same reasons as that Kremlin mouthpiece though. Limiting them, sure, outright banning them, no.

Thing is I personally don't support a visa ban. Probably not for the same reasons as that Kremlin mouthpiece though. Limiting them, sure, outright banning them, no.
    Just ban 'em all until they fix their own country.