10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Russia is ready to arm its allies

I'm not sure I'd take it, not even if they paid me to and the question is also: WHICH weapons?
    They might have a few Napoleonic war era cannons and muskets left lying around

This is a stunning piece of journalism, an essential read about the period before Russian war of aggression, expansionism and irredentism. It details many things, such as the reluctance of Western European diplomats to engage with US intel and Russians flipping a bird to all attempts of preventing this war in the first place.

Here is an archived version: https://archive.ph/aau5d

Some relevant bits.
    US intel did a stunning job on Russia and Ukraine. Anyone who stills bleats about the failures of 20 years past can go and fuck themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    US intel did a stunning job on Russia and Ukraine. Anyone who stills bleats about the failures of 20 years past can go and fuck themselves.
    Rule of thumb, do not trust any of the great powers without verification.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Rule of thumb, do not trust any of the great powers without verification.
    How does a member of the public verify top-secret intel assessments?

They don't, that is the job of their respective government, in that regard outside sources have usually their own interest in mind. The US was right this time nice for them, doesn't make them immediately trustworthy.

This situation just embarrassed the intelligence agencies of most of europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    The intel is verified as correct when the enemy's stuff goes "Boom" in places they did not expect it to go "Boom".
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Ukraine should be supplied with ATACMS. They will be phased out and replaced by PSM. Since we know US to some degree yays or nays certain strikes, with the promise that they will be used only against critical infrastructure such as bridges, oil refineries, railways and depots, I see no reason for the delay.
    Last edited by Voidwielder; 2022-08-16 at 05:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    They might have a few Napoleonic war era cannons and muskets left lying around
    My buddy made the same remark, I said to him that we might need to convince the Ukrainians in that case to cede 1 square metre of soil because of perseverance. (Properly mined of course)

(No I don't think Ukraine should cede any soil under any circumstance.)

The flight from Crimea continues, with a record almost 39000 cars crossing the bridge in just 1 day.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gerashche...viP5LcA-XJrMow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    The flight from Crimea continues, with a record almost 39000 cars crossing the bridge in just 1 day.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gerashche...viP5LcA-XJrMow
    I've not been watching the news lately, but what with this? Is Ukraine actually possibly going to take Crimea back, or some general panic, or just the tourists going back to their country?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I've not been watching the news lately, but what with this? Is Ukraine actually possibly going to take Crimea back, or some general panic, or just the tourists going back to their country?
    I don't recall exact specifics, but there has been strikes to Crimea, out of range for what weaponry Ukraine has, to our knowledge. So Ukraine might possess weaponry capable of making strikes all the way to Crimea's military targets and that causing a shock effect against the occupiers...

Which is probably enough for the invaders to think that Ukraine is getting even more effective weaponry and given the already overwhelming power via HIMARS, anything that can outrange those and still cause massive damage is the breaking point for the enemy.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/08...ussia-news-war

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...a-beach-blast/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62560041

Looking at those, it seems to be implied that elite forces operating in Crimea are responsible. Which means even a better thing - boogiemen operating behind enemy lines to cause terror in occupying forces, capable of doing meaningful attacks to expel the russians. Wouldn't sleep nicely myself either if a special unit is after me and everyone else in the military forces in occupied land...

- - - Updated - - -

To add further, this quote from one of the links...

Pavel Luzin, an independent Russian military analyst, said that Ukraine’s attacks were limiting Russia’s ability to “seize the initiative.”

“Crimea is the only way to support the grouping of troops in the Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions,” he said. “Otherwise, this grouping of troops does not exist.”
    Sounds like a good reason to set the bloodhounds on Crimean occupiers.
    Last edited by Saradain; 2022-08-17 at 12:30 AM.

Its a mix of tourists and colonists, but there is definitely panic going on. It started after the spectacular airport explosion last week and has continued as more and more stuff keeps blowing up in Crimea.

Ukraine says they aim to take Crimea back - we'll have to see if it is possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like its been a bad day for Russian propagandists. First one who ran the Wagner telegram channel gets taken out in the HQ strike the other day, then another one working for RT steps on a Russian butterfly mine and dies of wounds. And in classic Trumpian fashion, RT denies she was working for them and was merely a 'volunteer'. ie, its a bad look if they loose one of their own so they disavow knowledge of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    then another one working for RT steps on a Russian butterfly mine and dies of wounds. And in classic Trumpian fashion, RT denies she was working for them and was merely a 'volunteer'. ie, its a bad look if they loose one of their own so they disavow knowledge of her.
    Jesus christ...I would not want to be an employee for Russian state-sponsored media. I mean there are a lot of other reasons why, but this in particular is a pretty good one. As I'm much more inclined to believe the opposite of whatever the Kremlin is saying, meaning she was likely an actual employee. Because we all know this 3-day special operation to denazify eastern Ukraine has been just that, a short operation to get rid of some Nazi's and nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of the sentiment there is likely something along the lines of ”imagine what the Ukrainians will do to us, after what we’ve done to them”, and so russian civilian colonisers flee prematurely.

Ukraine actually taking the peninsula back is quite aways off still from the current military situation, but that it’s an actual war got real recently for them with explosions on military bases there.

Isn’t Ukraine reclaiming Crimea one of the worst things that can happen from a provocative standpoint? It’s invasion and annexation is one of Putin’s most bragged about feats. If he loses it, he might panic.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Isn’t Ukraine reclaiming Crimea one of the worst things that can happen from a provocative standpoint? It’s invasion and annexation is one of Putin’s most bragged about feats. If he loses it, he might panic.
    And nukes fly all over the place again? Is that what you were attempting to say, but hit the enter too soon? I thought their use was already a certainty; at least some self proclaimed prophet told so multiple times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    New drinking game, take a shot every time yuppie makes a post about nukes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Hey now, telling people to kill themselves isn't looked too kindly upon.

He's a record single that's skipping to boot. Ignoring him is really the only way. His nonsense isn't even coherent enough to be worth debunking.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Alcohol poisoning isn’t a particularily fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post

You're better off focusing on the lessons of Bert The Turtle than continuing to panic about nukes.