what's gonna happen if they don't? So 4 days for the actual answer, but just speculate.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    what's gonna happen if they don't? So 4 days for the actual answer, but just speculate.
    Absolutely jack shit except for more land being liberated by Ukraine, hopefully giving the tinpot dictator an ulcer from the stress he must be under in the meanwhile.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm all for Ukraine kicking Russia out - in fact I'm even all for turning the gas station of the world into an actual gas station for the world, by force

But I still can't believe that a nation like Ukraine, who is fighting with lots of untrained personal, is able to kick another's nation, who is also fighting with untrained personal, so hard.

I just hope they remain careful and don't make any mistakes in a rush to end this.

Is the equipment they find actually working btw? Or mostly piles of shit and steel glued together?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm all for Ukraine kicking Russia out - in fact I'm even all for turning the gas station of the world into an actual gas station for the world, by force

But I still can't believe that a nation like Ukraine, who is fighting with lots of untrained personal, is able to kick another's nation, who is also fighting with untrained personal, so hard.

I just hope they remain careful and don't make any mistakes in a rush to end this.

Is the equipment they find actually working btw? Or mostly piles of shit and steel glued together?
    I'll paraphrase The Godfather II:

"The soldiers (Russians) are paid to fight; the rebels (Ukrainians) aren't. That tells you the rebels can win."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The counter-offensive wasn't done with untrained troops. These were the troops who were being trained over the last six months in place like the UK. Unlike Russia, which gave its troops 2 weeks training and threw them into combat, Ukraine trained theirs and built up a powerful force with donated armour to be deployed when needed.

It is thought Ukraine trained up 3 divisions this way. One is in Kherson, the other just routed the Russians in Kharkiv. Which leaves a third unaccounted for.

- - - Updated - - -

102 new units on the daily Oryx update, if which 95 are captures.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rebel44CZ...FXtekyAPEiJVAg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'll paraphrase The Godfather II:

"The soldiers (Russians) are paid to fight; the rebels (Ukrainians) aren't. That tells you the rebels can win."
    Technically, the Ukrainian soldiers are also being paid to fight. The difference is that they are fighting for more than just money unlike the Russian soldiers; Ukrainian soldiers are fighting for their home and families and to stay free of Russian oppression.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Shortly after Ukraine proved it had a chance to resist Russia's assault a lot of NATO countries started training large batches of Ukrainian soldiers, Many of them have since returned after six months of training. The majority of the ukrainian soldiers you see in videos from the conflict area are wearing relatively fresh modern combat gear, modern helmets and modernized Polish AK's with picatinny rails. The vast majority of Ukrainian soldiers on the eastern line where traditionally trained, training inspired from Soviet military doctrine. And some with very little training, like local volunteers.

It's highly likely that large amounts of these freshly trained soldiers have fortified the lines, and are part of the recent pushes into occupied territory.

About the condition of the equipment, a captured soldier said during an interview that where he was stationed the tanks that could fire where fortified in stationary positions and the ones they drove around in where broken, his own tank's auto-loader didn't work.
    Last edited by P for Pancetta; 2022-09-11 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

102 new units on the daily Oryx update, if which 95 are captures.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rebel44CZ...FXtekyAPEiJVAg
    Upside for the Ukrainians is that most of the Russian stuff they capture, once they have serviced/repaired it, they can repaint where necessary with Ukrainian markings and use them right back against the Russians.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

When bullets are flying and shells or rockets and exploding around you conviction matters a whole lot. Ukraine is fighting for survival. The Russians who are there don't even want to be there, they have no great desire to die for the politicians back in the Kremlin.

Its no real surprise they are turning and running rather then fighting.
    Tho this level of disaster is quite something.
    Last edited by Gorsameth; 2022-09-11 at 11:14 PM.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Ukraine is reporting russian units in Kherson are negotiating surrendering their weapons.

https://liveuamap.com/

https://news.yahoo.com/russian-units...111100694.html
    Last edited by Iphie; 2022-09-12 at 12:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Ukraine is reporting russian units in Kherson are negotiating surrendering their weapons.

https://liveuamap.com/

https://news.yahoo.com/russian-units...111100694.html
    The asshole in me says "We'll take the weapons and armor. You get the fed and clothes on your back. And the next day you have to walk across that area you mined a few months ago. Get past that, you get food and water to get you back to Russia. Tell Vlad we send our warmest regards."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    The asshole in me says "We'll take the weapons and armor. You get the fed and clothes on your back. And the next day you have to walk across that area you mined a few months ago. Get past that, you get food and water to get you back to Russia. Tell Vlad we send our warmest regards."
    I appreciate the asshole, but in order to encourage this behaviour compassion needs to be shown.

I know it's hard, but I'd rather they surrender than fight to the death because they have no other choice either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I appreciate the asshole, but in order to encourage this behaviour compassion needs to be shown.

I know it's hard, but I'd rather they surrender than fight to the death because they have no other choice either way.
    That's why the asshole in me said it, not the rational part of me. I want them to surrender. That means fewer bullet sponges for limited ammunition. Reduces the already dwindling numbers of the enemy. Plus free weapons of dubious ability and possibly reloads. Send em back in good condition, let em tell their stories of condition they had to fight in without support. How well the Ukrainians treated them. Let that filter through the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Imagine the effect on moral (whatever is left) when the elite troops sent to defend occupied Kherson surrender without much of a, or any fight at all.
    It's not like this won't reach Ivan at some point.

If it really happens, that would be amazing news.

edit: scratch "without much of fight" and add "without much success in holding the advance".
    It's not like they weren't wiped out and surrender "just because".
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2022-09-12 at 12:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's why the asshole in me said it, not the rational part of me. I want them to surrender. That means fewer bullet sponges for limited ammunition. Reduces the already dwindling numbers of the enemy. Plus free weapons of dubious ability and possibly reloads. Send em back in good condition, let em tell their stories of condition they had to fight in without support. How well the Ukrainians treated them. Let that filter through the people.
    Yeah, I know, but there's quite a few people who sincerely want what you described first and that's just a bad idea.

As you say, let them go home well fed and well treated so they can tell how compassionate the Ukrainians were after all these months.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I'm aware, forcing prisoners of war to partake in dangerous labour is a violation of the Geneva Convention, mine clearing included. It isn't to Ukraine's benefit building a reputation of bad things happening to people surrendering, especially not when the Russian army seems plagued with morale issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Russian army losing so badly that Putin is at risk of losing the support of the Republican Party.
    Chapo and Codepink are doubling down on their support of Putin.

Love of fascism really explains the horseshoe theory.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Also Ukraine kind of needs a large number of PoWs they can start trading the next day for all the people (and children) Russia has abducted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Also Ukraine kind of needs a large number of PoWs they can start trading the next day for all the people (and children) Russia has abducted.
    I fear such exchanges are going to be basically non-existent. As Putin put it, there have been no losses in Ukraine.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I fear such exchanges are going to be basically non-existent. As Putin put it, there have been no losses in Ukraine.
    Works well until the said POWs will start contacting their parents from ukrainian prisons. THEN starts the questioning, that may escalate further...

Sounds good to me, no exchange of POWs unless every single kidnapped child and imprisoned adults are returned FIRST. Other than that, life in prison sentence for war crimes.

I don't really see Russia ever admitting they kidnapped children etc, and the chance to ever get them back is near zero...So I guess we have shit tons of prisoners to deal with...