Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Bluffing about what? You still operate on the belief that Russia would glass itself over Donbas?
    I don't believe I said anything to justify that inference. I'm simply wondering what the response to Putin will be once those territories are annexed, taking his apparent bluff into account.

https://www.is.fi/politiikka/art-2000009101747.html
    Finland just can't stop fucking up this visa issue. We will still continue allowing access for "humanitarian reasons and for anyone visiting family".

Edit: and those owning property in Finland that needs immediate maintenance. -.-
    Last edited by Gabriel; 2022-09-29 at 12:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    More sanctions, Ukraine keeps slaughtering untrained Russian troops and taking back their lands and no nukes are used because the US has made it very, very clear there will be truly massive consequences.
    He is putting himself in a corner though, nuke get annihilated, don't nuke, fall out of a window.

In the end though the US has indeed made it very clear what the consequences are, and not even China will say the US is at fault in that situation. (I wouldn't even put it beyond Biden and Xi to have had some very secret conversations about this exact eventuality.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    https://www.is.fi/politiikka/art-2000009101747.html
    Finland just can't stop fucking up this visa issue. We will still continue allowing access for "humanitarian reasons and for anyone visiting family".

Edit: and those owning property in Finland that needs immediate maintenance. -.-
    It's shameful, but I'm not sure it even matters all that much, at this point. Russia seems determined to beating us to it, and forbidding it's own citizens from leaving the country. But we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Huh. Yeah, well, it's not like he can escalate it any further, can he?

...can he?
    Expect nukes by the weekend.

Unfortunatley, I'm only half-joking. I think that's part of his agenda and I have come to accept that he's actually, clinically insane.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    It's shameful, but I'm not sure it even matters all that much, at this point. Russia seems determined to beating us to it, and forbidding it's own citizens from leaving the country. But we'll see.
    Letting russia do what we should have done is highly embarrassing, and I wish the rest of the world would fucking start publicly shaming us for this kind of behavior on state level, so we might finally fucking learn...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    What are the likely consequences of Russia's annexation? More sanctions? I feel they will get away with it, because no-one wants to call Putin's nuclear bluff.
    Zelenskyy is going to call the bluff. When you have balls of steel that are big enough to change Earth's gravitational center point, you don't give a fuck about some amateur screaming "But I got four aces!"

Especially not when you have a straight flush, he just went all in and oh, you can see his cards cos he's holding them facing you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The problem is I don't see what Russia gets out of sabotaging their 1 carrot they have to dangle infront of Germany. Without a working pipeline there is a lot less pressure on Germany to buy Russian gas if the winter gets problematic. That's a bad thing for Russia.
    That carrot is gone. Germany's supply from Russia is now in the "Misc" tab. What does Russia gain out of it? They obviously considered Germany a pushover. That bluff failed spectacularily and now they're just throwing tantrums nobody gives a shit about. This time next year Germany will be weened off Russian fossil fuels. No matter what happens in Ukraine, Russia going toe to toe with the EU like this is going to cripple them for decades. Generations even. Welcome to Russia, the new third world country.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

I don't believe I said anything to justify that inference. I'm simply wondering what the response to Putin will be once those territories are annexed, taking his apparent bluff into account.
    Your talking about there being a chance Putin isn't buffing. The only thing he is bluffing about is Nukes.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Damage to the...hold on.

Even Russia says that's Ukrainian missiles and shells. You are mistaken.

Damage to the pipeline now confirmed to be sabotage.

Quite frankly, we're entering a position where Russia claiming it wasn't them should be taken as admission it was. Remember how they claimed this wasn't a war?
    To be fair, it’s less a war and more a mass execution of Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    To be fair, it’s less a war and more a mass execution of Russians.
    Too many Ukrainian casualties and dead civilians to call it that, unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post

Unfortunatley, I'm only half-joking. I think that's part of his agenda and I have come to accept that he's actually, clinically insane.
    If he was planning to use nukes he wouldn't have mobilised hundreds of thousands of civilians and immediately thrown them into battle as cannon fodder.

Plus the Russian system doesn't work by just him ordering a nuke launched - it needs agreement from others and then for everyone involved in the process to carry it out. Not all of them are going to be insane.
    Last edited by Corvus; 2022-09-29 at 01:15 PM.

No, he is not. He is very rational. We just do not get his logic. And are you talking about strategic or tactical nukes ? As they are far from being the same. Imo, the strategic are out of the picture for now, but the tactical could be use if Ukraine would be pushing too hard toward Crimea or Russia borders.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    It does seem like the possibility of Putin using a small tactical nuke isn't as unlikely as we'd hope. Many analysts are thinking Snake Island as a target. Lightly populated to maybe limit the Western repercussions, and from the Russian view is revenge for the Moskva sinking and embarrassing loss of the island. It's some scary and incredibly dangerous brinksmanship though that could escalate very quickly, and goes to show the desperate situation Putin is in.

I also don't think the mobilization will effect that decision either way, the conscripts are being selected largely out of malice it appears such as those at the border trying to leave, and ethnic minority groups getting selected at a high rate. And those picked are being poorly trained and equipped before being sent to the front. Russian TV analysts have been dismissive of them also talking about those being conscripted and sent as though they are disposable. It's definitely a different moral and cultural view on valuing life from the way we think about it in the West.

Zelensky is also holding an emergency Security Council meeting today on an unannounced topic. If Western intelligence has info that something like might be fairly imminent, they would have passed that along. So hopefully that is not the reason for this emergency meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    No, he is not. He is very rational. We just do not get his logic. And are you talking about strategic or tactical nukes ? As they are far from being the same. Imo, the strategic are out of the picture for now, but the tactical could be use if Ukraine would be pushing too hard toward Crimea or Russia borders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    It does seem like the possibility of Putin using a small tactical nuke isn't as unlikely as we'd hope. Many analysts are thinking Snake Island as a target. Lightly populated to maybe limit the Western repercussions, and from the Russian view is revenge for the Moskva sinking and embarrassing loss of the island. It's some scary and incredibly dangerous brinksmanship though that could escalate very quickly, and goes to show the desperate situation Putin is in.

I also don't think the mobilization will effect that decision either way, the conscripts are being selected largely out of malice it appears such as those at the border trying to leave, and ethnic minority groups getting selected at a high rate. And those picked are being poorly trained and equipped before being sent to the front. Russian TV analysts have been dismissive of them also talking about those being conscripted and sent as though they are disposable. It's definitely a different moral and cultural view on valuing life from the way we think about it in the West.

Zelensky is also holding an emergency Security Council meeting today on an unannounced topic. If Western intelligence has info that something like might be fairly imminent, they would have passed that along. So hopefully that is not the reason for this emergency meeting.
    I dare Putin to try.

What are the likely consequences of Russia's annexation? More sanctions? I feel they will get away with it, because no-one wants to call Putin's nuclear bluff.
    https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2...ums-in-ukraine

I don't think it is unlikely that we will eventually see a ban on medicinal exports if Russia keeps escalating.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-09-29 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    If he was planning to use nukes he wouldn't have mobilised hundreds of thousands of civilians and immediately thrown them into battle as cannon fodder.

Plus the Russian system doesn't work by just him ordering a nuke launched - it needs agreement from others and then for everyone involved in the process to carry it out. Not all of them are going to be insane.
    He's Russian. That is exactly what he would do. Those men don't mean anything to him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    Rationality doesn't necessarily mean he's sane. Insane people can be rational. Look, I'm not interested in some bullshit semantic discussion because you happened to read something that sounded semi-smart on the internet and take it for face value. He's mad by pretty much every metric known to us. And he's going to pay for it.

As far as nukes, it doesn't really matter, does it. Tactical nukes cannot be tolerated/normalized just like strategic nukes. A simple "Oh, we'll slap on another round of sanctions" isn't going to cut it. If that shit becomes normalized, we'll have officially started the conga line to doomsday. And I'm very, very reluctant to come across as a doomsday-sayer, but there you have it. Zero tolerance. It cannot be any other way.

He's Russian. That is exactly what he would do. Those men don't mean anything to him.

- - - Updated - - -

Rationality doesn't necessarily mean he's sane. Insane people can be rational. Look, I'm not interested in some bullshit semantic discussion because you happened to read something that sounded semi-smart on the internet and take it for face value. He's mad by pretty much every metric known to us. And he's going to pay for it.

As far as nukes, it doesn't really matter, does it. Tactical nukes cannot be tolerated/normalized just like strategic nukes. A simple "Oh, we'll slap on another round of sanctions" isn't going to cut it. If that shit becomes normalized, we'll have officially started the conga line to doomsday. And I'm very, very reluctant to come across as a doomsday-sayer, but there you have it. Zero tolerance. It cannot be any other way.
    By "us", you mean the western world I guess. And yes, we think he is not sane because we forgot what a balance of power through military power was. But while the other countries like China, India, and so on let him down for now because they are not prepared to do so yet. But once they are ready, they will act like he did. Because we are not living in the same world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seconded. The Russian people know this, that's why they're evading the draft, that's why the penalty for evading the draft was increased.

Ethnic Minorities Hit Hardest By Russia’s Mobilization, Activists Say

That's the Moscow Times. It opens with an anecdotal story -- yes, I know, I know -- about a 47-year-old father being drafted. But then it goes on to detail how the poorer regions are being targeted first.

I found this passage especially telling:

And in Crimea, which Russia annexed from Ukraine in 2014, the peninsula’s indigenous Crimean Tatars have apparently been hit particularly hard.

“Eighty percent of the draft papers for mobilization in Crimea were sent out to Crimean Tatars (Crimean Tatars make up less than 20% of the population of Crimea),” journalist and activist Osman Pashaev wrote in a post on Facebook last week.
    I guess to put it another way: if Trump declared war on Mexico, and disproportionately drafted a bunch of Hispanics to fight in this war...would people be saying "well at least now we know he won't nuke Mexico"? Putin's neither stupid nor incompetent, but he's made it clear he has no value on human life except the results it brings him. He would 100% rain fire down on his own conscripts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    He would 100% rain fire down on his own conscripts.
    He might, but I wonder how happy the army would be with that, I mean even if it's "only" ethnic minorities I sincerely doubt the rest of the army is going to wait till they are the next target. They're Orcs, not Skaven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    I wonder how happy the army would be with that.
    I assume the few remaining survivors would be very unhappy. Everyone else? I mean, morale is already "Ctulhu's toilet" level. And I have zero to negative doubt Putin would claim American nuked his troops.

So I don't think their happiness is a factor. I mean, they're leaving tanks in farm fields and walking home already. I don't know how Putin could possibly make things go worse for his army's morale.