Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Also a tactical nuke against Ukraine would come from a small warhead dropped launched relatively close via a jet or mobile launcher in a cruise missile that not easily intercepted by ABMs.
    Mark Esper, Trump's Secretary of Defense, said on CNN that Uncle Sam can very much tell when a nuke is rolled out of storage and can implement a lockdown of Ukraine's airspace if that happens.

Regardless of having served under Trump, the man would have been briefed on American capabilities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    No amount of training can compensate for your soldiers getting frostbite in constant sub-zero temperatures because the military isn't able to supply them properly.

This isn't really the sort of thing making the big headlines, but the west have been shipping winter equipment to Ukraine for some time now in preparation for the oncoming cold, and what we're hearing out of the state of things on the Russian side paints a stark contrast to that.
    Beyond that, the Ukrainians have morale and discipline. While Russians are told to occupy positions somewhere in the forest and by the look of their abandoned positions simply camp out, Ukrainians still keep establishing proper dugouts.

Vladimir, can we have machine gun?
    No, Sergej, we have machine gun at home.
    Machine gun at home:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-mu...nk-russia-war/

Poo baby Elon Musk, very upset that he's been criticized for weighing in on a war he understands nothing about and repeating Russian talking points, now wants the US to fund the use of Starlink.

The Defense Department has gotten a request from SpaceX and Tesla founder Elon Musk to take over funding for his satellite network that has provided crucial battlefield communications for Ukrainian military forces during the war with Russia, a U.S. official said.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter not yet made public, said the issue has been discussed in meetings and senior leaders are weighing the matter. There have been no decisions.
    He's claiming $20M a month in costs which isn't a lot for him. Surely he's a defender of Democracy and freedom and would gladly spend some of his immense wealth to support a nation being invaded by genocidal authoritarians, no? It's not like the US hasn't already picked up a lot of the bill for getting Starlink active, so I wouldn't be surprised if the US is already funding some of the continued operations and he's just making shit up like he enjoys doing.

Either way: Elon Musk sure seems a bit like a Putin simp.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Poo baby Elon Musk, very upset that he's been criticized for weighing in on a war he understands nothing about and repeating Russian talking points, now wants the US to fund the use of Starlink.

He's claiming $20M a month in costs which isn't a lot for him. Surely he's a defender of Democracy and freedom and would gladly spend some of his immense wealth to support a nation being invaded by genocidal authoritarians, no? It's not like the US hasn't already picked up a lot of the bill for getting Starlink active, so I wouldn't be surprised if the US is already funding some of the continued operations and he's just making shit up like he enjoys doing.

He acts like a defender of freedom, but willingly becomes the useful idiot for Putin.

And now prevents Ukraine from using Starlink in Crimea to make it harder to liberate...And demands US to pay for it, "or else". Am no expert on US law, but to me it sounds like grounds for some sort of a threat to national security by playing buddies with little man Putin AND trying to hamper Ukraine's liberation efforts, which also serve US interests.

LOCK HIM UP!

10+ Year Old Account
    So, two more weeks and then the mobilization drive will end.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/st...ZjWLyMvDA&s=19

Not that the troops will be hugely useful.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post

We really should not put much weight to what Putler is saying. "Not a war" remember?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    We really should not put much weight to what Putler is saying. "Not a war" remember?
    Obviously, but I don't think he wants to continue this one too long, as it's gonna be costly in terms of manpower and economy. Even his hardline support is questioning it, so there may be some truth behind it.

It is just going to switch from partial to full mobilization.

7+ Year Old Account
    Obviously, but I don't think he wants to continue this one too long, as it's gonna be costly in terms of manpower and economy. Even his hardline support is questioning it, so there may be some truth behind it.
    But what then? If he stops recruitment, he stops sending meatbags to the frontline, allowing Ukraine easier advance. Not sure he will allow that.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

3+ Year Old Account
    So apparently a power plant in Belgorod got hit.

I wonder if it was the Russians again blowing themselves up, like the residential building.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    He is in a such a fucking bind. Don't recruit - help Ukraine, recruit more - break more the unwritten deal with citizen and risk unrest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    He is in a such a fucking bind. Don't recruit - help Ukraine, recruit more - break the unwritten deal with citizen and risk unrest.
    The later already happened, but the unrest will be more widespread if he recruits more. You're right though, he's in a bind. He's losing prestige, authority and credibility by the second.

wondering why Putin is even trying to uphold an illusion, at this point. Why doesn't he just go full Kim Jong Un on his populace and rule with an open iron fist and conscript anyone he feels like?
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2022-10-14 at 06:20 PM.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Let's be honest, it's already full mobilization, they just don't want to say it. Which may indeed be what you're insinuating.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    wondering why Putin is even trying to uphold an illusion, at this point. Why doesn't he just go full Kim Jong Un on his populace and rule with an open iron fist and conscript anyone he feels like?
    You do realise that KJU keeps up illusions as well within North Korea. No dictator rules with a "I fuck you all over bitches." it's nearly always "I love you guys, I'm protecting you from the big bad over there."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    You do realise that KJU keeps up illusions as well within North Korea. No dictator rules with a "I fuck you all over bitches." it's nearly always "I love you guys, I'm protecting you from the big bad over there."
    i thought the difference, according to the people that hate Russia, are Russians genuinely believe Putin/love him whereas with something like NK, everyone knows it's a lie but keep their heads down out of fear.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    North Koreans lack internet or various means to connect to the world outside their country. They are taught that the world outside North Korea is even worse off then them and that the Kim family is using divine powers to keep them safe.
    Also cue the “ we had first partial mobilization, what about second partial Mobilzation?” Memes

i thought the difference, according to the people that hate Russia, are Russians genuinely believe Putin/love him whereas with something like NK, everyone knows it's a lie but keep their heads down out of fear.
    In NK they will torture your entire family if they as much as suspect you of anti-government sentiment. russia isn't as bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Vladimir, can we have machine gun?
    No, Sergej, we have machine gun at home.
    Machine gun at home:
    Built for winter invasions

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Starlink is definitely subsidized by the US and he wouldn't be allowed to use it in Ukraine without a greenlight. Man is in his scamming bag. Probably borrowed too much from himself again and his books are not looking hot. Could be a lot of stuff with that man but you can count on him not being honest about the situation. It's definitely not as simple as 'we can no longer afford Starlink, which we don't pay for on our own anyway'.

The word is that Russia is jamming it. Not impossible but highly doubtful. We know by now there's a difference what Russia can technically do on paper and what they have the resources to do in real life.

- - - Updated - - -

The kind dictatorship the Kim's have takes years to rollout. It also only works when completely isolated from the rest of the world. Putin wants Russia to be major world player, not his coven off in the corner.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Probably borrowed too much from himself again and his books are not looking hot.
    You mean like $44B for a social media company? : P

The word is that Russia is jamming it. Not impossible but highly doubtful. We know by now there's a difference what Russia can technically do on paper and what they have the resources to do in real life.
    I'm sure they're trying to jam it, but I question how successful their efforts are. Are they still communicating via unsecured radios and shit?