Seriously struggling in high M+ as Disc

Hello everyone,

I come here in hope some of you experienced Discipline Priests can give me some advice. Basically, I'm struggling in 17/18+ keys a lot. My problem is that once I use my Boon of the Ascended, if the pack/boss doesn't die, I fall too far behind to recover. I end up having to spam Shadow Mend and using Penance defensively constantly, as Atonement healing just doesn't do enough to sustain a group during high damage periods. As Holy, I've no issues healing those same keys, but I don't find it as enjoyable to play and would love to master Discipline instead.

I would love if any of you could offer me some general tips in terms of rotation and how you plan your CD usage. For me, Power Word: Barrier feels kinda hard to use, since these days there's a lot of movement required in pretty much all dungeons. Pain Suppression is okay, but limited to one player (and it often feels like slapping it on someone who's already taking a lot of damage does very little, as you then still have to heal that damage up). Rapture is the only CD I tend to use frequently, but that's clearly not helping me a lot.

Discipline seems to be highly rated for keys, so I must be doing something very wrong. Currently, Holy just seems infinitely easier to play for some reason. Any tips or links would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Need to follow this thread, lol. Struggled with disc the two last expansions myself, wich sucks since its my favorite specc.
    I just dont master AOE-healing, feels like I tickle peoples healthbar .
    As any other healer specc/class I have no issues even when I suck

15+ Year Old Account
    Disc aoe healing is reliant on your cd's and you'd only use penance, mind blast and holyfire to aoe heal through attonement. If you're aware there's burst damage coming up let them all go to cd and use them all together. After you've used them, switch to shadow mend to heal the lowest health players and go back to smite to top people up. Queue your abilities to complete the next action when the current is fnishing so you get large bursts of aoe healing. Rapture is helpful while you're waiting on your penance CD's etc and the damage is continuous as you can continually spam it. It will keep people alive through your next burst aoe heal.

Barrier is always used for when you know damage is coming and you know your team will use it.

But like everything with disc, preplanning is the key. You need to have things set up in advance, it's not a reactionary healing class. If you struggle to properly watch boss timers and keep an eye on people, it's just easier to heal with Holy.
    Last edited by Malania; 2021-11-30 at 10:22 AM.

Like previously posted, it's really about co-ordinating CDs with the group and having a plan in advance. You should know which packs to pop which CDs for, and which packs that other people are going to be using CDs.

Disc is really unforgiving initially, you really do need to run with the same set of people for a while to really get a feel for how to play out each dungeon. Don't feel bad if you're struggling; Disc in all of PvE has always been about learning patterns/timers and adjusting; If you go in and wing it you're essentially relying on luck.

If you're mostly just pugging groups don't stress yourself over it, there's not a lot you can do as disc to recover from mistakes (as I'm sure you know). I guess my best advice would be to find a consistent group and just figure out what works where, assuming you're not already doing that. If you watch a top streamer like Moadmoad, you can see that he's either essentially barely putting in any effort or the group is getting one shot; As is the nature of healing high keys a lot of the time.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2021-11-30 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndead View Post
    Hello everyone,

I come here in hope some of you experienced Discipline Priests can give me some advice. Basically, I'm struggling in 17/18+ keys a lot. My problem is that once I use my Boon of the Ascended, if the pack/boss doesn't die, I fall too far behind to recover. I end up having to spam Shadow Mend and using Penance defensively constantly, as Atonement healing just doesn't do enough to sustain a group during high damage periods. As Holy, I've no issues healing those same keys, but I don't find it as enjoyable to play and would love to master Discipline instead.

I would love if any of you could offer me some general tips in terms of rotation and how you plan your CD usage. For me, Power Word: Barrier feels kinda hard to use, since these days there's a lot of movement required in pretty much all dungeons. Pain Suppression is okay, but limited to one player (and it often feels like slapping it on someone who's already taking a lot of damage does very little, as you then still have to heal that damage up). Rapture is the only CD I tend to use frequently, but that's clearly not helping me a lot.

Discipline seems to be highly rated for keys, so I must be doing something very wrong. Currently, Holy just seems infinitely easier to play for some reason. Any tips or links would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Maybe one general tip is to upgrade your keybinds so it's easier to be productive and as people said to manage cds better, but I always thought using shadowmend was a powerful thing if you're also rotating in dmg which could be a difficulty if you have clunky keybinds, but I'm not a m+ pro so IDK.
    Writes insightful, well-mannered posts in the Community Council.

that post is 9 months old, and also no one plays Disc in m+ anymore