Dispelling mobs in a big pack

So guys, I'm trying to push keys and I'm up to 18/19 as Resto Shaman and one thing thats giving me bother is high prio dispels in big packs.

So a scenario that cropped up earlier, MOTS 18, we go into a massive pull and DBM screams (for example) "buff X on Mistveil tender - dispel now!" or whatever.

But the mob in question is in the middle of a huge pack and by the time I've picked it out its too late. I'm using elvui with clique, have all the mouseovers etc but the nameplate in a big pile of plates is really hard to isolate.

Is there a real efficient way of doing this (other than knowing before each pack which units are likely to need a dispel)?

15+ Year Old Account
    Pin the mobs face plate if it's one, or you can download a nameplate addon which can stack and sort enemy mobs to your requirements. If it's just a big jumble of plates wit elvui it's not really any more useful than the default.
    Last edited by Malania; 2021-11-30 at 02:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plater addon helps in this regard. You can program/script the nameplates to be different based on what is being casted (or buffed). Works very well on explosive weeks as well.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

best Way imo is to be aware of what mobs do what abilities,, like buffs on themselves and enrages on themselves and be ready to dispel those when they happen
    for example, the first pull in Theater of pain, the 3 adds + the rider mob......the rider does an AOE where he enrages and needs to be Soothed in order to stop it, just being aware of mechanics goes a long way.

my exp, as playing 2 dps classes (rogue, mage), 1 tank and 1 heal (in season1), is above 17-18+ you need some addons. its rather hard or impossible, without addon support. my frost mage works relatively easy, without some specific addons. but for the others its impossible. at least this is my exp.

in short: get some plate/targets addon, to quickly click and purge/dispel the one of them, that has the buff/icon on it.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-11-30 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin0mura View Post
    best Way imo is to be aware of what mobs do what abilities,, like buffs on themselves and enrages on themselves and be ready to dispel those when they happen
    for example, the first pull in Theater of pain, the 3 adds + the rider mob......the rider does an AOE where he enrages and needs to be Soothed in order to stop it, just being aware of mechanics goes a long way.
    doesnt everybody in high keys skip those 3 by now ? and bring bull to boss to be more eficient . its so inefficient to pull them on start.

also about dispeling/ interupting - he should coordinate it on voice comms so people can just pay attention to 1 max 2 mobs not to whole pack .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    doesnt everybody in high keys skip those 3 by now ? and bring bull to boss to be more eficient . its so inefficient to pull them on start.

also about dispeling/ interupting - he should coordinate it on voice comms so people can just pay attention to 1 max 2 mobs not to whole pack .
    Yeah, you skip the first 3, then kill them while the last boss is spawning.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

depending on the Week yes we skip those packs....i recently entered the 22 - 23 range and depending on the week we skip that and kill it during the role play when last boss spawns (or on tyrannical week, pull all 3 into the boss)

i Only used that as an example , though , of being aware of certain mechanics certain mobs do, so that you may dispell things off them
    another example are the " drain fluids " mobs in Necrotic wake....not really something to "dispell" off of the mob itself, yes, but another example of being aware of something that needs to Instantly be taken care of. whether that is a stun, interrupt, dispel, or otherwise.
    i am sure there are addons and focus target macros that take care of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having a nameplate addon can help quite a bit to help you click the right mob quickly. I don't know what plate options come with elvui but it's obviously not working for you well, so you should investigate something like Plater instead.

When I have troubles with clicking plates (since blizzard likes to go through periods where stacking/overlapping nameplate settings don't stick and it's all a jumbled mess) I honestly just tab. I can tab fast enough that I can get the mob pretty quick that, while it's not ideal, it works okay. I also main a rshaman and in pugs I'm used to being only person who can (or will) clear debuffs.

That said, a better strategy on those specific pulls is to make sure you're helping interrupt the tender to begin with. You have the best interrupt as a rshaman and nothing else in those packs needs it. Of course, there are still plenty of other pulls across all the dungeons where you're going to need to purge, though, so you should definitely figure something out that works for you when you do need to use it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Try using stacking nameplates. dispels/purges/interupts are a skill that separates good/bad players so its definitely something you need to improve on.

I would imagine since nameplates move it is fairly annoying and tab targeting is trash. I'm not sure if this will work for you

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/enemy-grid

The ability to cast spells at frames was nerfed but if you can use it to /target then it might make using your keybinds easier if it can be configured to show target buffs
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

If you're feeling tryhard you could do something like this:

so the one macro would be
    /cast [target=focus] Purge

and that would be bound to a key you typically use.

Then you'd have a different macro you could swap out per dungeon:
    /tar Mistveil Defender
    /focus
    /targetlasttarget

You can also put multiple mob names in there if you want and the last one on the list will be targeted....but that might not be super great because it'll increase the chance that a mob in a pack you're not fighting will get targeted.

/tar Mistveil Defender
    /tar Gormling thing
    /tar Mistveil Procrastinator
    /focus
    ...and then I dunno if targetlasttarget would work in that case

Also if there's a specific mob you REALLY want to interrupt ASAP you can just do the ol' reliable:
    /cast [target="Mistveil Defender"] Purge

although double-check it works and I got the quotes right before you brick a key with it

Edit: changed the use of the word "extra" to "tryhard" because this is WoW not pop culture
    Last edited by garicasha; 2021-12-02 at 06:12 AM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.