Soulletting Ruby usage

Not sure where to put this but since all I do is heal M+ it may as well be here. Anyway this cropped up in my vault and I've been trying to use it but I cant seem to get any good out of it (as a Resto Shaman). I notice a lot of top Shamans are running it so i dont know what I'm doing wrong.

Whats the issue? Well, it seems to me that my other trinket (unbound Changeling) seems to trigger some sort of 30 second cooldown in the Ruby. Because I cant control that, it often works out that when I want the extra crit from the Ruby its on cd........I've gone through a few dungeons now where essentially I didnt use it at all because when I needed it it was unavailable, and then you find yourself waiting for the perfect moment and not using it at all.

Do people use this essentially as a dps trinket or what?

Changeling should absolutely not be proccing the cooldown on Ruby. That's bizarre. Are you eating to trigger that? On-use trinkets are intended to activate the 30s cooldown, but passives like Changeling are not. That's definitely a bug and you should report it.
    However to answer the actual question, yes you will often use it as a DPS cooldown. At higher levels of M+, your damage as a healer is important, so trinkets and talents are often chosen to maximise DPS with the minimum to help the group survive unavoidable damage. Obviously, at the highest levels groups are much more co-ordinated and experienced, so they'll take less damage than most random groups. Depending on your environment, Ruby might not be the right choice for you. The top guys are often playing a different game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

You're probably better off using a straight damage proc like the PF or NW trinket. Ruby's good for burst and getting big numbers from your Vesper totem, but not much else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I’d be willing to bet you just have a macro somewhere on your bars that you forgot about. Changeling does not/should not ever incur your use trinket CD.

To your question of how to use it, yes, it’s absolutely just for DPS. While the crit is helpful for healing, I can’t think of a situation where I’d want the crit from Ruby over a “proper” healing trinket if I was going to use it primarily for healing - this is especially true looking at M+, where haste has a good bit more value/use than in raid. I switch betweeen IQD and Ruby for my on-use trinket on my Shaman from key to key depending on how I feel. Chain Lightning is usually my second highest damage source after Vesper Totem (admittedly a fairly steep drop-off), and especially since you should be running Pedestal of Utter Hubris this season, a crit proc is really nice for damage. This all said, I think I’d prefer a Titanic Ocular Gland if I could get my darn hands on one..
    Last edited by Praxis; 2021-12-02 at 12:31 AM. Reason: More words

As an arcane mage I find it an overrated trinket for a couple of reasons. IQD is (or can be) clearly better on sims yet most people miss that (most probably because "BIG CRIT MEME") and on top of that it's volumes harder to manage optimally.

The irony is that even with its meme being that strong: it still doesn't manage to be the only one in the best logs; you can see other trinkets easily; of course: since it's such a meme you will usually find it in at least 60% of logs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
    Whats the issue? Well, it seems to me that my other trinket (unbound Changeling) seems to trigger some sort of 30 second cooldown in the Ruby.
    It shouldn't, at all.
    I run both on both my paladin and shaman, and changeling does not trigger any CD on ruby
    The 30 second cooldown is an ICD on using on-use trinkets so you can't stack them. Only on-use equipment triggers it (so if you're familiar with the agi polarm from the 3rd boss in sanctum, that should also trigger it), but proc trinkets don't.

As for how to use it: on CD pretty much. I just macro it into vesper because I'm lazy and that seems to work fine for me on the content I do on my shaman (which is 20s and there about)