Issues with PC not booting up

Hello,

On odd occasions, my PC just won't switch on for a while. Switching it off at the mains and leaving it for a while seems to reset whatever the problem might be, but it's been going on for a while now, and I wanted to ask for some help.

A friend said that this is probably due to a malfunctioning power supply installed, and that it could affect the rest of the tech if left unchecked. Just to be sure, I figured I would ask others for more insight.

My current power supply is:
    XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

If this is the issue, it will obviously need replacing, but should I upgrade or buy the same hardware?

Here is the rest of my PC's build in case something else could be the problem:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card

Thank-you in advance. I'm not incredibly tech-savvy, so I didn't just want to buy the newest Power Supply in case it wasn't compatible with the rest of the build.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does it react when you try to turn it on?
    Have you tried holding the power button?
    What happens if you turn the power supply off and on again?

Does anything get reset after it doesn't power on? Like settings, scaling, whatever?

As for in case you need a new power supply: As long as it's ATX it'll work, no need to be worried there. 95% of any PSU you'll find will be ATX, and the rest will probably be SFX, which are ATX compatible, but smaller

When the power won't turn on, there simply isn't a response when I press the power button to try and switch it on. No whirring of the fan, lights - nothing.
    I haven't tried holding the power button down, because in my mind, that is the "use for emergency shutdown" method.
    Switching the power supply on and off again doesn't do anything. It's almost like there is a length of time where it just doesn't want to turn on at all. Then, maybe an hour/the next day, it'll turn on and off again just fine.

All settings remain the same after it's finished its little mood swing and I can use the PC again. All files remain intact, etc.

I should also mention that about a month after I built it, it would randomly reboot while in use. I looked into ways to fix this, and it hasn't happened for a while recently. I'm not too sure if this is a hardware or a software issue, but I thought I should mention it.
    Last edited by Arachnophobia; 2021-12-04 at 12:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnophobia View Post
    When the power won't turn on, there simply isn't a response when I press the power button to try and switch it on. No whirring of the fan, lights - nothing.
    I haven't tried holding the power button down, because in my mind, that is the "use for emergency shutdown" method.
    Switching the power supply on and off again doesn't do anything. It's almost like there is a length of time where it just doesn't want to turn on at all. Then, maybe an hour/the next day, it'll turn on and off again just fine.

All settings remain the same after it's finished its little mood swing and I can use the PC again. All files remain intact, etc.

I should also mention that about a month after I built it, it would randomly reboot while in use. I looked into ways to fix this, and it hasn't happened for a while recently. I'm not too sure if this is a hardware or a software issue, but I thought I should mention it.
    If you're up for it, then next time it happens could I convince you to short out the power pins on the mobo? It's the ones the switch at the front of the case connect to. Just touch them at the same time with a metal screwdriver (and if all the front cables are bundled together, it's usually the top left-most pins, but check your manual to be sure). Just to confirm that it's not a problem with the button. Though depending on how intermittent it is, that's a tall ask

Since all settings remain the same that means it's not the internal battery dying (there's a little button-cell battery between the two big PCI-E slots), since that'd take out the bios and clocks too.

Kinda drawing a blank on what else it could be. Ask the store if you can do a return on the PSU if it doesn't solve your issues

It could be PSU, but I would look into motherboard capacitors and surge protector/power strip (if you're using one) or a power outlet first. Look for some scorch marks or oxidation buildups. Since your PC is 4-5 years old it's about time issues like that start showing up.

If it's the PSU it's really easy to check obviously. Plug a different PSU or try to power a different motherboard with the same one. You dont need memory, CPU, videocard, just motherboard and any cooling fan. Connect the fan to CPU fan connector and the 24 pin PSU connector, short the power button pins. If the fan spins then PSU can at least turn on.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2021-12-05 at 07:58 AM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Thank-you for the perspective. I'll look into this and see if anything comes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    If you're up for it, then next time it happens could I convince you to short out the power pins on the mobo? It's the ones the switch at the front of the case connect to. Just touch them at the same time with a metal screwdriver (and if all the front cables are bundled together, it's usually the top left-most pins, but check your manual to be sure). Just to confirm that it's not a problem with the button. Though depending on how intermittent it is, that's a tall ask

Since all settings remain the same that means it's not the internal battery dying (there's a little button-cell battery between the two big PCI-E slots), since that'd take out the bios and clocks too.

Kinda drawing a blank on what else it could be. Ask the store if you can do a return on the PSU if it doesn't solve your issues
    I appreciate the response! I'd rather have too much to consider than not enough. Thanks again.

In general resetting the Bios and re-socketing the RAM is the first thing that I do when my Computer has such irregular errors. I find that it fixes most of my issues of which I have encountered a suprisingly large variety.

In your case it might also help to discharge all capacitors. When the PC is off, turn off the PSU via the switch on the backside and remove the power cable. Then try to turn the PC on. If all goes well, the lights and fans will work for a second and then turn off. After that simply reconnect the cable and turn on the PSU. Then try to start your PC. It's not very likely to work, but if it does it could be a relatively simple workaround for your problem.