Poll: How much hype?

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    It will be like all things WoW. Tons of suckers suckered into a month or two. Then a base that sticks around and just raid logs while either shamelessly bitching about the game or shamelessly defending it. I mean it's like almost a 20 year tradition at this point.
    For sure, and its not about to change. Turns out, wow has always been shit!

I wonder how much they'll pace it out.

Let's be honest here, WOTLK will be the end of Classic, surely?

Is anyone going to play Classic Cataclysm?
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    I'd play it, from a raiders perspective T11 & T12 was pretty fun with a few decent fights, pre nerf heroics were also fun.

The whole thing wouldn't last for more than a year anyway because Cata doesn't have enough content to have more than three phases - and no one will farm DS for ~4 months.

One of the bigger draws and retainers will be the expansion-long place for 10-man raiding. Wrath is resistant to metas in the first place, so with realistic expectations of gear and progression, someone with 9 friends and halfway reasonable buff/debuff coverage can do their thing -- lifted by the more's lower difficulty setting.

5+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed Wrath because of the environments (Northrend zones, Dalaran, dungeons and raids), quests, and the raids. The visuals in particular are what come to mind when I think of Wrath. I'm old enough that "hype" is now a meaningless word but I will say that I would play it and find it enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    I mean they're far more numerous, varied and rewarding than their TBC counterparts. The only good daily experience in TBC is IoQD and that doesn't hold a candle to the Tournament.

Add to that multiple faction dailies, wintergrasp dalies and the sholazar basin rival hubs and even a blindfolded person can see Wrath simply did it better. Same as how Wrath is far more alt friendly, offers more accessibility to dungeons and raids and has a slew of QoL changes like dual spec to make things fun for tanks and healers.

The biggest critique of Wrath is that it's easier at the entry level, especially in regard to heroics and Naxx. But looking at how easily curbstomped t4 and TBC heroics were, I don't see how it's such a drawback. The entry tier has never been hard, even the infamous Cata heroic dungeons were a joke once you had near pre-raid gear and the odd t11 drop.

For me Wrath offers a nice variety of PvP/PvE and solo content. Gonna spend a nice chunk of it soloing old raid tiers for cash.
    Considering the DQs in Isle were more numerous, provided more gold in relation to WotLK (gold was more valuable in TBC), and was a hotbed of pvp activity on the right servers, I'm going to go right ahead and correct you.

The Isle was a far superior world experience than The Tournament.

The casualisation of wotlk was the main goal of the design team in wotlk. Even before release they talked about the goal of people running a heroic or two on their lunch break. They succeeded in this goal and still managed to release skill appropriate content for the more organized players. I think wotlk was one of the better expansions because it gave you hard content for the more organized and easier, spammable content, for the less organised. In a world without mythic plus it was a good combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Facefive View Post
    WotLK was always the penultimum of expansions.
    What, like the second to last?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account

I'd love to play Cata, it was awesome. I'm really not sure why people hate it as much as they say. Classes were fun and some revamped to be improved (Moonkins having waaaay less rng for good dps for example), rotations were more complex and fun (imo), class balance was decent, raids were fun (subjective again I know, but imo).

If the world revamp and DS being a reused Dragonblight was hated, then I can understand that to a degree. But to hate the whole expac because of it? I was a massive no lifer and try hard at the time as I was unemployed, and I played a lot of classes, I still managed to play hours and hours every day because of how much I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I'd love to play Cata, it was awesome. I'm really not sure why people hate it as much as they say. Classes were fun and some revamped to be improved (Moonkins having waaaay less rng for good dps for example), rotations were more complex and fun (imo), class balance was decent, raids were fun (subjective again I know, but imo).

If the world revamp and DS being a reused Dragonblight was hated, then I can understand that to a degree. But to hate the whole expac because of it? I was a massive no lifer and try hard at the time as I was unemployed, and I played a lot of classes, I still managed to play hours and hours every day because of how much I enjoyed it.
    End tier was awfull, final boss design disapointing to say the least, to me a classic example of how a poorly made end raid tier can shade the image of a otherwise decent expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post
    I enjoyed Wrath because of the environments (Northrend zones, Dalaran, dungeons and raids), quests, and the raids. The visuals in particular are what come to mind when I think of Wrath. I'm old enough that "hype" is now a meaningless word but I will say that I would play it and find it enjoyable.
    Don't let age ruin your ability to get hyped!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I'd love to play Cata, it was awesome. I'm really not sure why people hate it as much as they say.
    It's...complicated. Personally, I have a lot of fond memories: I realized I was among the top end of players, became a raid leader, survived a guild that lost 80%+ of its roster in T11, and saw the same group finish for Mists about as strong. Enjoyed PVP, absolutely loved the Arms rotation.

At the time, though -- if you played with moms and pops on mom & pop servers, you witnessed an unbelievable population and activity drop. Some of us could handle the difficulty increases or healing mechanics, most by way of statistics could not. People on Trade went from ICC pugs to trash runs -- trash runs, I kid you not, through Firelands. A so-so story and missteps on content releases didn't help. An experience, definitely, though probably not one most would want to relive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    End tier was awfull, final boss design disapointing to say the least, to me a classic example of how a poorly made end raid tier can shade the image of a otherwise decent expansion.
    100% bro, Deathwing was a let down, but that doesn't mean the whole expac was a failure. I also enjoyed some of the other DS bosses, but Firelands was leagues above.

Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    It's...complicated. Personally, I have a lot of fond memories: I realized I was among the top end of players, became a raid leader, survived a guild that lost 80%+ of its roster in T11, and saw the same group finish for Mists about as strong. Enjoyed PVP, absolutely loved the Arms rotation.

At the time, though -- if you played with moms and pops on mom & pop servers, you witnessed an unbelievable population and activity drop. Some of us could handle the difficulty increases or healing mechanics, most by way of statistics could not. People on Trade went from ICC pugs to trash runs -- trash runs, I kid you not, through Firelands. A so-so story and missteps on content releases didn't help. An experience, definitely, though probably not one most would want to relive.
    I'm not surprised, Cata heroics were a step up from Wrath to say the least haha, but I LOVED them to start. Can definitely see how it would affect the casual playerbase though. But again, that sort of thing wasn't really a taint on the expansion, more of a drawback of making harder content when a lot of the playerbase was used to being extremely casual with low skill and next to no adaption to the extra difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post

In WOTLK 10 man was the "Easy mode" that geared people up to proper 25 man raiding. This is when I saw a big boost in people raiding. Even if people were new players or undergeared they could gear up by pugging 10 mans then work their way up.

When 10 was made on par with 25 man raiding in Cata, there was an entire difficulty section that was removed that wiped out a lot of guilds and pugging.

They added LFR to try and fix this I guess, but it was completely the wrong tool for the job and threw so many of the toxic elements of the community and bad-development together and made it all feel even worse somehow. A lot of the updates to loot rules we have now were made just because of the toxicty and selfishness of the playerbase - It's hard to imagine now that when Blizzard launched LFR then they wouldn't just assume half the players were trash people and would NEED on every item as their 10 gold from selling it was more important than someone else getting a good upgrade - but I remember at the time that even I was shocked at how cuntish the community had gotten.

I don't think they fixed the raiding level issues until they added the flexible raiding for SOO - This kinda solved this gap in raiding they'd created with CATA. By then though, the more casual players were just doing LFR instead or had quit already so it never really recovered.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2021-12-24 at 12:22 AM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

In WOTLK 10 man was the "Easy mode" that geared people up to proper 25 man raiding. This is when I saw a big boost in people raiding. Even if people were new players or undergeared they could gear up by pugging 10 mans then work their way up.
    100% correct. I'm embarrassed I didn't see it until recently, but on top of Wrath's other design successes, 10-mans are likely to be the key to Classic's popularity — especially because everyone knows what's coming around. Established guilds can use them like scrimmage. Up-and-coming guilds, though, can use these as starting capital. They won't even need a full roster: have a core, pug the last slots, and even in Ulduar they can get their money's worth out of 2 hours.

When 10 was made on par with 25 man raiding in Cata, there was an entire difficulty section that was removed that wiped out a lot of guilds and pugging. They added LFR to try and fix this I guess, but it was completely the wrong tool for the job and threw so many of the toxic elements of the community and bad-development together and made it all feel even worse somehow.
    Also 100% correct. Tragic mistakes on both ends. For 4.3, Blizzard suddenly had tunnel vision and saw only two types of players: world-class champs and incompetents who'd just as soon be mailed loot. Absolutely no understanding that there *is* a spectrum of difficulty expectation and social contracts; that players still wanted to earn their rewards and cooperate with others, but needed something a little easier. It wasn't until mid-MOP that some poster on the official forums used the phrase "beer league" and Ghostcrawler put 2 and 2 together, drawing attention to what became Flex, and the belated restoration of that section.

Wotlk solved a lot of the problems or unfinished work that were in vanilla/tbc, namely the classes finally felt complete and they found a good system for raid loot. They still didn't figure out PvP gearing though, that came in cataclysm. That's why I'd prefer cata slightly more than wrath.

With how they have handled TBC Classic, my interest has disappeared in Wrath Classic.

3+ Year Old Account
    It will be the most played WoW version regardless of what some people on MMO Champion say.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Rehased Naxx will be an issue. It was fine when something like only 5% of the playerbase logged into the original in vanilla. But a significant portion of the Classic playerbase has experienced it this go around. Unless they add something new, I think it will really stifle the launch hype.

Then you also have ToC which is a divisive and really boring tier. I am not sure how either of these will weather a Classic re-release.

Overall I think it will be more hype than TBC but far less than original hype for Classic in 2019.
    Its called achievements .. Immortal ..

Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    With how they have handled TBC Classic, my interest has disappeared in Wrath Classic.
    What exactly did they do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Absolutely can't wait to tank as a Frost DK again up until ICC.

Also I miss Armor Penetration stacking as a Feral Druid, miss Holy Light spam as a Holy Paladin, and Chain Heal spam as a Restoration Shaman.

There are other things I miss too that I enjoyed about WotLK. Can't wait to play it again if we get it.
    Remember in early Ulduar before they nerfed it when all forms of armor reduction stacked? Armor pen, faerie fire, poison debuff from hunter wasp pets, sunder armor, etc. Folks were pushing bosses into negative armor. It. Was. Hilarious.