Poll: How much hype?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    From me personally, zero.

I played and loved Wrath back in the day, but I have no interest in playing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadow View Post
    I didnt play TBC at all...but Wrath for me is something of epic proportions...out of this world...legendary expansion.
    How do you think the rest of the world feels?
    smells of copium.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will be hyped by expectant players from now until it releases. It's the same pattern really as with retail and classic expansions.

Lots of interest, "best thing ever", followed by a crush of players when it releases and settles into something much smaller a couple of months later. It won't be the best thing ever, it won't crush retail, but it will be nice to have it around to play in.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-12-05 at 06:07 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    From me personally, zero.

I played and loved Wrath back in the day, but I have no interest in playing it again.
    Ditto. I have no way to judge what the overall hype is.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Above average, but it will be disappointing because of high expectations and nostalgia.

I was more hyped about it in the past, now after TBCC not so much. TBCC ruined more memories than created good new ones. I will probably play Phase 1 for a month and get bored.

<private server info snipped>

i rather wanna see cata & mop classic
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-12-05 at 07:13 PM.

Wotlk is something I might be playing again, perhaps. When classic started I was very sure that I would be playing Wotlk.

I liked classic very much, but I lost interest quite quickly after the first raids. At first I thought I might return for BC, but I stopped playing at 62. It just felt like a pointless time sink, and for the only thing that would interest me - seeing those raids again - you would have to invest quite some time again.

What's the point of doing what I have already done 16 years ago, and which effort will not even last?

So hype? No, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    wrath was the last good expansion
    more like the worst one ever,heck even if you dont agree with that fact,i cant believe someone actualy thinks it was better than tbc

Much hype and after a few weeks noone is talking about it anymore.

I mean i love wotlk, i startet wow in 3.1 but i also love Pokemon. And ever when i play an old pokemon game the magic is gone pretty fast, cause you know everything about. There is no exploration its so easy, because it wasnt good balanced and you became a much better player etc etc.

And the biggest nostalgia point that you cant repeat: meeting great people again. you cant force that again. Ill give wotlk a try, but i doubt it i will play it for long.

10+ Year Old Account
    ngl, tempting to resub for ulduar progressing
    BUT doubt blizz will ever fix their service, so wont be throwing money at them

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    One could argue about it receiving a bit more hype because some perceive it as the peak, but i think that's going wean off pretty quickly because of how much a joke the 1st Tier in Wotlk is.

Because we already know how this largely plays out due to Classic and TBC, i don't expect any massive hype, we know what we're getting, it certainly will not surpass the hype that Classic saw in 2019.
    Every content release is breaking records at wcl. I don't think this holds up, classic is immensly popular, but obviously participation waxes and wanes with long periods between raid or season releases.

As for wotlk, practically every class discord has a wotlk section which is teeming with discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    Every content release is breaking records at wcl.
    There wasn't new content in TBC for like ~3 months and that record is like one month old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    There wasn't new content in TBC for like ~3 months and that record is like one month old.
    A record is only a month old??? oh no, game must be dead.

It's Wrath, so controversial as always. However, on most forums, the mention of Wrath just blows up every single time.

Even though the novelty of Classic has moderated, initial base looks to be ideal. Yo-ho, it appears to be the most populated by far. Legit, Wrath has very high potential for reactivating customer segments that have been dormant for 8-10 years. This is key: we're talking millions of players from whom even a small percentage would be significant. Word-of-mouth might be mostly sufficient but targeted marketing from Blizzard will help.

TBC is a exclusionary, poorly balanced, poorly aged 15-year-old game and yet it's fun enough to retain a respectable population. Anyone with a clear memory or authentic recent experience will report that Wrath has superior balance and open accessibility that combines to provide incredible replayability. While a tiny but vocal fractional minority of players who prefer exclusionary, poorly balanced games will say "joke" and "too easy" over and over — the rest will be leveling, running, and gearing, leveling, running and gearing, leveling, running and gearing, over and over.

10+ Year Old Account
    PVE of WotLK:

Professions: Inscription was a welcome addition and glyphs were interesting meta. It was nice to see craftable entry PVP gear.
    Dungeons: Meh nothing compared to TBC difficulty of HCs. LFG tool and overall the zerg-fest of Dungeons had writings on the wall of WoWs decline in later expansions, but it started here, in WotLK.

T7: While Naxx was essentially copy/pasta for those who never raided in Classic it was fine and enjoyable. The inclusion of achievements really elevated the game for those who wanted to push things like Immortal. Malygos was awful little vehicle raid but it added variety. Obsidian Sanctum was nice fun and additional filler to support Naxx, +3 drakes was yet another layer of challenge that was welcome (normal was pug fest, as intended). Vault was ez loot pug fest but yet another raid and a thing to do.

T8: Ulduar was glorious. While 10/25 normals were relatively easy the hard modes added something that was never done in WoW. Beautifully executed with plenty of replayability. Compared to TBC where once the raid was cleared, it was just farming the same old shit. Valanyr was a great legendary that lasted until ICC LK25HC and effective in Arenas until the end of the expansion.

T9: Not as favoured and relatively easy until you began the tributes (not many got HC25 Tribute done). The aesthetics were quite poor.

T10:
    Relatively easy inc hard modes or until you turned the buff off. LK25HC was challenging. Great raid to wrap up the expansion.

Ruby: Meh filler.

PVP of WotLK:

BGs:
    The addition of Wintergrasp was exciting at first but I remember many hating it and really only caring due to bonus honor + vault.
    WPVP:
    Wintergrasp was really the only area due to resources.
    Arenas:
    Outside of MOP the most fun/balanced it has ever been. Although DKs/Rets were quite ridiculous in S5.
    Overall lore made you feel that LK was a threat and it wrapped up the expansion nicely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Wotlk is something I might be playing again, perhaps. When classic started I was very sure that I would be playing Wotlk.

I liked classic very much, but I lost interest quite quickly after the first raids. At first I thought I might return for BC, but I stopped playing at 62. It just felt like a pointless time sink

It will be the same in WotLK. I think the good state of Arenas (if you're into that) and achievements in raids is what will make it slightly better. I am in the same boat as you though.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2021-12-05 at 07:42 PM.
    -K

Can't be worse than tbc and it's garbage raid meta of relying on very specific class/spec group combo for your class to do well, and gearing alts is fun with badge tier gear.

Classic WotLK won't last past phase 1 because who tf wants to grind a stupidly easy version of Naxx for 6 months before any good content comes out? People will also realise how much it changed towards what Retail is now, from mindlessly easy dungeons to group finder and Heirlooms. There's a reason the term "Wrath Baby" was so prevalent back in the day, because if you started playing in WotLK you were probably bad since you'd never done any remotely difficult content.

Even though icc was my first raid as a tank and what really made me fall in love with wow, i have zero interest in reliving it.
    I didn't play vanilla and tried classic, got to 60, did a few raids but it was just not fun, at all. Really, most off it was just annoying and feeling how much retail has improved.
    Didn't even bother with TBC and certainly won't ruin some of my best memories when I actually enjoy retail far far more in about every aspect I can imagine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rusken View Post
    Classic WotLK won't last past phase 1 because who tf wants to grind a stupidly easy version of Naxx for 6 months before any good content
    Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they bake phase 1 and 2 together and launch it that way. Or some really butchered mix of it, yeh, that later is what I believe.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm somewhat hyped and I'll consider resubbing to WoW to play it, depending on how it's done.

I always enjoyed the Lich King lore so WotLK was obviously one of my favorite expansions, but like TBCC I might decide not to play it so it doesn't ruin my nostalgia