Poll: How much hype?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    and where in any of that did i say "no one is allowed to get hyped over something i don't like". i said getting hyped by something you haven't seen, hasn't been announced yet, and the production company is in a major mess at the moment is stupid. there is a difference between being a meathead saying that people can't like stuff you don't like and having a nuanced thought.

I didn't even accuse you of saying "no one is allowed to get hyped" so I have no clue where you pulled that from.
    But it's clear you are just responding and not even reading beforehand. Typical.

That, or, you are unable to grasp what you actually said and what I (and others) are saying back to you.

If the the crux of your so-called "nuanced thought" can't be explained without calling people stupid, for not being able to separate a good/service being provided by a company that you no longer like, AND can't grasp the notion that other people can still enjoy and be hyped for goods/services provided by that company without calling them stupid or fan boys or any other disparaging term that, when it boils down to, having a different opinion from yourself... there is a larger problem at play here and it has to do with you.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-12-07 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolaris192 View Post
    what was your favorite part of wrath?

the introduction of in game store mounts?
    dungeon finder?
    vehicle combat?
    the oculus?
    wintergrasp?
    ruby sanctum?
    Meta gems
    Gems on entire gear
    Hybrid talent system
    The Nirvana of Hybrid specs for PvP and troll builds

In other words...PvP in general :3

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    At least WotLK started and then upheld the tradition of the eons long end patch.
    There is a bit of an irony that the content droughts between expansions started the in the very expansion where the game became far more seasonal and thus, far more reliant on content update.

Could also be because they ran out of direct reference material from Warcraft 3 / RPG Books and thus had to come up with new things.

It's insane how much Blizzard either had spent in pre production (considering Northrend + Outland were at least planned for WoW Vanilla during pre preproduction) or simply re used material from the RPG books for Northrend.

This map came out in a RPG book in 2006, meaning this thing was probably drawn up already in 04 / 05.

Probably a decent amount of hype. Question is - will the playerbase overall be sick and tierd of wow by then? With retail, SoM & BC classic already going - will the fatigue have kicked in for many by the time WotLK launches?

Maybe BC is the one that gets put in the can and no one plays it, everyone just moves on to WotLK & SoM when thats relevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    There is a bit of an irony that the content droughts between expansions started the in the very expansion where the game became far more seasonal and thus, far more reliant on content update.

Could also be because they ran out of direct reference material from Warcraft 3 / RPG Books and thus had to come up with new things.

It's insane how much Blizzard either had spent in pre production (considering Northrend + Outland were at least planned for WoW Vanilla during pre preproduction) or simply re used material from the RPG books for Northrend.

This map came out in a RPG book in 2006, meaning this thing was probably drawn up already in 04 / 05.
    When WotLK arrived wow had seriously gotten a huge traction in the gaming world. I remember vanilla as still of a somewhat niche game(for mmorpg players) and gradually over the years up until wotlk more and more people got into it. wow made MMORPG popular and thus the genre overall became much more streamlined. Back then wow really hit theyre stride when Lich King came around knocking.

wow didnt have millions of players by day one, it happend gradually.

People are going to play it cause they have some memorable raids(especially Ulduar, maybe the prolong that tier this time) and it was overall a good time. I enjoyed WotLK overall more than BC and I cleared everything in both xpacs. It was a great xpac at the time, will be interesting to see how players react to it today.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wont be playing it... like TBC its one of the expansions that I legit feel like I completed back then, I enjoyed my time with it, I enjoyed wintergrasp, loved raiding and duneons with my guild, enjoyed that first time getting off the boat in Borean Tundra (yes I went to Borean Tundra, fite me) and I got those memories locked away in my head how I remembered them, so I do not want to relive it again.

For those that do want to replay it and relive it again I hope you have an awesome time. as for myself I am happy not playing
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I'd be torn. WotLK was the last of the great WoW, to me.

At the same time, I feel like Orby. Now, if I could have the same group of friends I had back in BC and LK, I'd 10000% do it all again, but that ain't happening.

I think htere is a lot off hype. Until Wotlk relases (not before 2023 i would guess) the whole controvery regarding ABK will mostly be fogotten... like every controversy.

People have HUGE amounts of nostlagia when it comes to Wotlk. More than towards TBC. And way mor than towards classic. The whole gameplay shifted more towards casual players. Many many many poeple started playing in Wotlk.
    Class changes to make those useless classes from classic viable and competetive in every situation and DKs... ( but i hope we get the nerfed DK version ebcause otherwise raids will be quite red )
    Boosts will be of course available to get people to play without the tedious act of leveling up a char in content the players are not interested in... an well.. money of course.
    Also i highly doubt the boost had any noticible impact on playercount for TBC.

All in all Wotlk had one of the best raids wow ever had (Ulduar) and on of the most memorable raids ever (ICC) with added 25 and 10 man difficulty which many people wanted for a long time.

I guess wotlk will have more players than TBCC anc CLassic

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    How does that make wotlk any less good? The product is not the company, the company is not the product. You completely lack logic.
    but the product isn't out yet so how can it be good? we're talking wotlk classic. again, i'm not saying the product is bad or good. i'm saying getting your hopes up when the company designing the product has been doing horrendously is just setting yourself up to be let down. keep in mind warcraft 3. that was changed to just be a simple remake in the end and it was horrible.

I voted above average in the poll, but the more I think about it the more I think many are underestimating the hype that this expansion will have. I think it may not be as high as classic release but certainly higher than TBC.

I believe WotLK had the highest subscription count and that alone will be a large factor in people wanting to ride the nostalgia train. I'd argue that WoW's current predominant playing audience were in their late teens/20's where they likely sunk a lot of hours into the game and will certainly jump back, but for how long is hard to say.

Further it's also the expansion as others have said that has the largest private server audience across all the years providing even larger playing numbers.

TOC will be a difficult phase where interest probably dwindles while waiting for ICC.

I'll certainly be playing significantly on release and eagerly anticipating it. A large part of me slowly playing/levelling characters in TBC right now is in preparation for WotLK. I hope Blizzard releases the numbers for these classic releases later, it'd be interesting to see the differences.

Classic and TBC classic were and still are WOTLK classic waiting rooms for me, it's fun playing TBC, raiding bosses I never saw when they were content back when but WOTLK is all I want and I am so, so hyped for it. Tons of people checked out classic and fell off at a steady pace, less tried TBC and dropped off rapidly but WOTLK will be more of a draw as the classes really were more flushed out and enjoyable to play.

For those saying they wished blizzard would stop with classic to focus on retail...who are you kidding? They can't make games anymore, whatever blizzard try and make now a days can be easily summed up as 'A bad idea, executed poorly'. At least with classic you know what you are getting within a small margin of P2W/Boosts/Cosmetics/Tokens?. With their 'new' ideas or games? We all have no clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    but the product isn't out yet so how can it be good? we're talking wotlk classic. again, i'm not saying the product is bad or good. i'm saying getting your hopes up when the company designing the product has been doing horrendously is just setting yourself up to be let down. keep in mind warcraft 3. that was changed to just be a simple remake in the end and it was horrible.

Amazing you are using the 1 example of a "bad remake" to prove your point... and purposely ignoring the last 2 installments of Classic that have come out instead.

Yeah, you're right. An example of a horrible RTS remake is a better than the last 2 examples of a classic installments of a MMORPG... to use to devalue the hype people have for future classic MMORPG installment.

Classic BFA, I can't wait for Uldir. It gave me Ulduar vibes. Especially the general vezex like boss. He even had interrupts!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentacyde View Post
    Classic BFA, I can't wait for Uldir. It gave me Ulduar vibes. Especially the general vezex like boss. He even had interrupts!!!

Trust me... when 9.2 rolls around we are going to get the inevitable "can't wait for Shadowlands Classic" posts.

It will have looking for group and 100% quest item drop rate and that by itself will make WoTLk classic a total success so the hype will be really high

3+ Year Old Account
    Cynical short answer, probably less than people think.

Longer answer: There's a couple of factors working against Blizz this time around. The first and most obvious one is this past year's controversies. While the people who will stick around will have likely moved past them, there's some people that outright dissociated with them from it, and even reform will likely not be enough to win them back. The second, related to the first, is that some major influencers have more or less moved on from WoW by this point, for various reasons. As much as it's annoying seeing people basically parrot their views and pretend said views are their own, you can't deny that people with wide audiences can influence a sizable number of people think. It's probably been a big factor in FF14's rise over the past year. And on that note, the increase in market competition is also a factor. Another notable one is how fractured the Classic community is. Evergreen Classic is all but dead at this point. TBCC seems to have seen a notable dwindle in population, likely to some degree due to the existence of SoM. While most people from the Classic communities will move to Wrath when all's said and done, I don't think it will be at TBCC levels, much less OG Classic levels. Finally, increasingly-liberalized changes to Classic games may play a factor as well. Things like adding the cash shop mount to TBCC left a sour taste in people's mouths, but they clearly made bank off it, so I'd expect WotLK Classic to at least retain that level, if not try to push further. So I think TBCC's hype is probably the absolute ceiling as far as overall hype level goes. Keep in mind I'm not trying to kill anyone else's hype that they may have, just trying to look at it from a more practical standpoint. The smartest thing Blizz can do is add in the temporary rewards that were in WotLK if they want to bring people in early on, e.g. the Black/Proto-drakes. Should be interesting seeing the race to World First for 100%ing achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Same song and dance as with TBC.

There will be hype with "finally we get to play the proper expansion, after all [previous expansion] was just [upcoming expansion] waiting room".
    Then Blizzard will announce it alongside a character boost + store mount (because there will be one), which will dampen the hype for the expansion.
    It will come out, a lot of people will play it, some people will have fun, some people realize that it's not as good as they remember it, some people will realize that certain criticism towards the expansion was actually not completely unwarranted.

One could argue about it receiving a bit more hype because some perceive it as the peak, but i think that's going wean off pretty quickly because of how much a joke the 1st Tier in Wotlk is.

Because we already know how this largely plays out due to Classic and TBC, i don't expect any massive hype, we know what we're getting, it certainly will not surpass the hype that Classic saw in 2019.
    If they had not released a boost I would not currently be a subscriber on 2 accounts to WOW. so I could Boost 2 characters. Because Fuck leveling 1-58 in Classic. I hope they release a Boost in Wrath as well, I only got the mount so I could save 90G per character. If they release a boost in Wrath Ill have 4 max level characters easily which is about right for Wrath IMO I had 4 fully geared characters in Wrath originally and loved every second of it. I cannot wait to play True DK again, Blood DPS here I come.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    If they had not released a boost I would not currently be a subscriber on 2 accounts to WOW.
    And that's fair, however on the other side if the aisle you also have people that felt very much backstabbed by this because they dislike the boost out of principle and see it as the first step(s) towards further monetizing Classic and indeed shortly quit after TBC launch, because they lost faith in Blizzard that they keep further monetization out of the game.

Let's not forget, before the launch of Classic, Blizzard famously commented on boosts with
    Character Boosts are not in keeping with Classic. We don't want to break any hearts.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-12-07 at 04:47 PM.

i can't believe that any serious person has hype for anything blizzard right now. som was ruined, shadowlands has been worse, corporate are still scum and refuse to leave, and nothing new is coming any time soon. blizzard has literally done nothing to hype people up. if you're hyped, i gotta say you are probably a fan boi. i don't like hating on wow and wish it was good. but i'm not going to call a turd anything else.
    I am having a blast and only playing Blizz games, not a fan boy. But definitely prefer old games. I am playing TBCC and D2R now because the old games are just better IMO and provide me more fun per my time played currently raid Logging in TBCC and loving it and fill the rest of my game time with D2R.

Tier 7 will get blow up in like a week or two or so and then you can start raid log.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilela View Post
    Cynical short answer, probably less than people think.

Longer answer: There's a couple of factors working against Blizz this time around. The first and most obvious one is this past year's controversies. While the people who will stick around will have likely moved past them, there's some people that outright dissociated with them from it, and even reform will likely not be enough to win them back. The second, related to the first, is that some major influencers have more or less moved on from WoW by this point, for various reasons. As much as it's annoying seeing people basically parrot their views and pretend said views are their own, you can't deny that people with wide audiences can influence a sizable number of people think. It's probably been a big factor in FF14's rise over the past year. And on that note, the increase in market competition is also a factor. Another notable one is how fractured the Classic community is. Evergreen Classic is all but dead at this point. TBCC seems to have seen a notable dwindle in population, likely to some degree due to the existence of SoM. While most people from the Classic communities will move to Wrath when all's said and done, I don't think it will be at TBCC levels, much less OG Classic levels. Finally, increasingly-liberalized changes to Classic games may play a factor as well. Things like adding the cash shop mount to TBCC left a sour taste in people's mouths, but they clearly made bank off it, so I'd expect WotLK Classic to at least retain that level, if not try to push further. So I think TBCC's hype is probably the absolute ceiling as far as overall hype level goes. Keep in mind I'm not trying to kill anyone else's hype that they may have, just trying to look at it from a more practical standpoint. The smartest thing Blizz can do is add in the temporary rewards that were in WotLK if they want to bring people in early on, e.g. the Black/Proto-drakes. Should be interesting seeing the race to World First for 100%ing achievements.

You're greatly underestimating people's ability to "forget" controversies, it's seen all the time in all kinds of markets. E.g. Iphone's batteries being built to fail, VW diesel scandal, Amazon dodging UK tax. People care for a bit and then they don't care when trends change and shiny things come out and WotLK won't be released for some time yet .Not to say it won't be factor at all, but it's not going to be the reason WotLK isn't a success. Also there is no way WotLK won't be more hyped than TBC, to say TBC hype is the ceiling is baffling to me. And again, the cash shop might have annoyed people but anyone who wanted to play the game didn't not play because of that, these are non-factors in the grand scheme of things relatively speaking.
    Last edited by csguba; 2021-12-07 at 04:54 PM.