Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

No Akama's Edge...

Sometimes I loath rng...didn't drop once but the stupid two handed axe dropped literally the first time I did Doomwalker on my warrior

I don't know how unlucky you got, but I know a few people who did it on 10 or so characters a day and didn't get it either.

I'd say the same thing to you that I said to them.
    Your whole life is RNG.

Try not to focus on getting unlucky. Find ways to focus on the times you get lucky instead. You'll be happier.

For this specific case though, the obvious solution was prepare more characters.
    Unfortunate, but I don't think its as rare as it sounds. Its just that you only hear about the fringe cases.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Meh. Without RNG loot would be useless and boring. Somtimes you loose sometimes others win.

Ehhh. It's bad to play MMOs, when you're reward-driven, start doing content just for sake of getting certain rewards, start burning out due to it, have university education and know everything about probability theory, so you start to calculate things like expected number of tries to get item, instead of actually playing the game. Overall it's about "Don't mess with RNG, if you don't like to be unlucky". Prefer guaranteed or almost guaranteed rewards instead. If game doesn't have them - just don't play such game.

Unfortunately RNG isn't about "It's more fun, when you don't know, when reward will drop", as devs claim. It's about having full control over rate of getting rewards via having several layers of RNG. And it's in the best case. Because it feels more and more, that they have some sort of AI loot instead of old sweet fair "Only God knows, when you'll get your reward" RNG.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Unfortunately RNG isn't about "It's more fun, when you don't know, when reward will drop", as devs claim. It's about having full control over rate of getting rewards via having several layers of RNG.
    What you've said here is contradictory, but it feels good, so you said it anyway.

If you got every reward you wanted from every piece of content the very first time you did it, there'd be fuck all replayability to the game and it'd die almost immediately. There objectively is a level of "it's more fun when you don't know when the reward will drop", or the entire ARPG genre wouldn't exist.

Regardless, saying devs have "full control" over rewards via RNG is absurd. You say you understand probability - then you must understand that one in one hundred players would likely see a 1% drop rate item the very first time they ever killed a boss. "Full control" over rate of rewards would be the exact opposite of what you're saying, it'd be a completely deterministic system where you would simply have to kill the boss 100 times and the 100th time would guarantee that you got the item - and then you'd be complaining that it's too many times and they're forcing you to play the game more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Sometimes I loath rng...didn't drop once but the stupid two handed axe dropped literally the first time I did Doomwalker on my warrior
    stupid question, but are you trying to get akamas edge on the warior too?

I got it with my rogue. One of the issues arising quickly was, how many specs actually use 1h agi axes. Meaning, a lot of classes and specs actually do not even have chance looting it.
    Last edited by josykay; 2021-12-06 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    What you've said here is contradictory, but it feels good, so you said it anyway.

If you got every reward you wanted from every piece of content the very first time you did it, there'd be fuck all replayability to the game and it'd die almost immediately. There objectively is a level of "it's more fun when you don't know when the reward will drop", or the entire ARPG genre wouldn't exist.

Regardless, saying devs have "full control" over rewards via RNG is absurd. You say you understand probability - then you must understand that one in one hundred players would likely see a 1% drop rate item the very first time they ever killed a boss. "Full control" over rate of rewards would be the exact opposite of what you're saying, it'd be a completely deterministic system where you would simply have to kill the boss 100 times and the 100th time would guarantee that you got the item - and then you'd be complaining that it's too many times and they're forcing you to play the game more.
    There is big difference between making game different every time player plays it and RNG-gating his rewards. First one is good, second one isn't.

Overall it's bad for devs, when player is both lucky or unlucky. If he is lucky - he unhooks too quickly. If he is unlucky - he burns out due to feeling, that his effort is wasted. That's why the best variant would be to just offer rewards at some precalculated rate. But there is problem here. If player assumes, that it's old sweet fair RNG - he also assumes, that it works according to "More attempts - more chances to get item". But if there is hidden CD, he isn't aware of or doesn't know it's duration - then more attempts he does, more effort is wasted. And it just feels...unfair? That's why I don't want to mess with today's RNG. I can never know for sure, if my effort isn't wasted.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-12-06 at 10:44 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Not sure what to tell you. I have an abnormally large amount of characters at 50+, so naturally I had every item from Doomwalker drop at least once by the third day.

As far as Akama's Edge is concerned, I think I received it at least 7 times across different characters by the time they made the mount a guaranteed drop. Even saw it drop twice on the same rogue that had just reached level 60, which prompted me to go Outlaw for the time being.

The only real way to combat bad RNG is to just load up on characters to farm with.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    The only real way to combat bad RNG is to just load up on characters to farm with.
    Yeah, it worked for me in many cases. I guess, that's why Blizzard hate alts. But it's not guaranteed to work anyway. Don't remember that mount name, but I wasted around 700 tries on dragon from Cata's dungeon. That was exact situation, when I really felt, that doing that dungeon non-stop on several characters on several servers to avoid "too many dungeons" thing - was just waste of my effort, because this mount dropped after some predefined time period anyway, no matter how many attempts I was making.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it worked for me in many cases. I guess, that's why Blizzard hate alts. But it's not guaranteed to work anyway. Don't remember that mount name, but I wasted around 700 tries on dragon from Cata's dungeon. That was exact situation, when I really felt, that doing that dungeon non-stop on several characters on several servers to avoid "too many dungeons" thing - was just waste of my effort, because this mount dropped after some predefined time period anyway, no matter how many attempts I was making.
    I have over 1200 kills on LK 25hc for invincible.. I've stopped caring at this point, it's never going to drop, so why bother farming anymore

yep RNG on one-time limited events like the anniversary events is stupid. It should be a reward or buyable during the event via tokens.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

i hope you realise it does not drop if u are not melee agility class. (outlaw rogue, enha shaman,demon hunter, monk. It will NEVER drop for strength users. If u want it u could have made plenty of agility class trials and grab it by now.
    Last edited by sngtokos; 2021-12-06 at 11:23 AM.

I got the Abyssal Worm mount on first attempt in ToS. RNG is RNG

I got it on my DH's first kill. That being said, I don't think Blizz's RNG is true RNG. I also think that some items have a lower chance to drop than others (in general) and that there are a lot of different "adjustors" to "luck". For example, if you are a new player or took a long break, the mount drop chance seems to be increased for a while. So no, I don't believe "Rng is rng".

7+ Year Old Account
    I got it on all my agi chars atleast once so you prolly didn't farm it with the right classes/specs?

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's Agi weapon and thus doesn't drop for Str users like your warrior.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I have over 1200 kills on LK 25hc for invincible.. I've stopped caring at this point, it's never going to drop, so why bother farming anymore
    That's an unlucky streak but the odds remain at 1% or whatever it is on every kill regardless, it could drop on your next kill! And I thought I was unlucky at 621 kills for Invincible, hang in there and pace yourself to avoid burn out!
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Meh. Without RNG loot would be useless and boring. Somtimes you loose sometimes others win.
    Aaahahaha, so you basically always lose

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Some mounts are very rare and have 0.1% droprate. That means average amount of kills required = 1k.

Some mounts are very rare and have 0.1% droprate. That means average amount of kills required = 1k.
    Some mounts, sure. 4 of those are from MoP world bosses, then there's the Big Love Rocket and finally the Infinite Drake from timewalking. There's a couple other mount drops with less than 1/1000 drop rate, but those are either zone drops from BFA, meaning you can AoE grind your way to it fairly quickly anyway, or it's from things like fishing where every drop chance comes at a pace of 10sec average.

The vast majority of rare mounts are 1/100 or less, including Invincible.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*