Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Pets are great gifts, they are cute and expensive. And if the person doesn't like it or simply can't take care of it, they can just release it into the wild, you know where animals are supposed to live. Win/win.

I see no problem with bestowing this kind of 10+ year responsibility onto a potentially unwilling participant. Taking care of an animal for life is a huge undertaking, and who doesn't like a significant chunk of their time and money devoted without their consent? In fact, if gifting a pet is a great idea, then gifting a CHILD is an even BETTER idea. With that in mind, I've been artificially inseminating people without their knowledge for years. Can you think of a better way to brighten someone's day than by telling them they're three months pregnant? I certainly can't.

Chia pet. /10

Quote Originally Posted by UndedoKoleda View Post
    Pets are great gifts, they are cute and expensive. And if the person doesn't like it or simply can't take care of it, they can just release it into the wild, you know where animals are supposed to live. Win/win.
    You're obviously joking...

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I am the only person who thinks this is wrong. Committing someone else to take care of something for 10-20+ years without asking the first is just horrible.
    I would assume the person they were buying the pet for displayed interest in the first place. Otherwise, yes that's pretty psycho to make that decision for someone.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    You're obviously joking...
    I wouldn't assume that. I think it's fair to take him 100% at face value.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really shouldn't buy a pet as a gift. It's a decision that should be done in the family, together. I mean, what if the recipient doesn't want a pet? Or you chose a wrong kind of pet, like a small dog, when he wanted a large one?

I hope this was a terrible joke. People actually do that, and think it's okay.
    Last edited by Santti; 2021-12-12 at 10:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

I am the only person who thinks this is wrong. Committing someone else to take care of something for 10-20+ years without asking the first is just horrible.
    It's fucking wrong.

When my grandpa passed, there was talk in the family about buying my grandma a pet so she wouldn't be alone. She declared she doesn't want one. My idiot uncle went ahead and bought a dog anyway, boasted about picking the biggest and most ferocious of the litter. Several accidents ensued when a fragile old lady tried to walk a dog who pulled on the leash like a locomotive and my daughter could never feel at home at her great-gran since the beast respected no-one. It was nothing but a burden on everyone involved for 10+ years.

I wasn't expecting that joke to be controversial enough to require a /s

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

You must be new to the internet.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I would agree with you, except POS human beings do this kind of stuff all the time, sadly.

It's difficult to know if you're one of those POS who also happens to be proud of doing it, or at least not averse to talking about it....or if you are truly being sarcastic.

Glad to know you were being sarcastic =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately, even when someone says they're ready for a pet and wants one, it's still no guarantee. Seen it too many times on The Dodo, Hope For Paws, other YouTube animal rescue channels, and the local shelter. Animals given up or abandoned on the streets, because some dumbass didn't realize that they're *gasp* work. Totally worth the effort, but Jesus Christ. /shakesfist
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, isn't this how John Wick started?

I am against kids getting pets for a gift over a holiday. Many pets are discarded like objects once the initial shine to it is gone, especially once the child realises the commitment involved and quickly loses interest.

Also it is unfair to gift a pet out of the blue onto someone, expecting the recipient to take care of it.

Getting a pet should be agreed to from all parties with an actual desire and responsibility for it.

It depends. I think if you are getting a pet for kids and you talk to the parents beforehand, it seems fine to me.

A dog or cat is not right for a gift, that's a serious commitment to just spring on someone.

I could see giving a goldfish or betta as a surprise gift, but anything more is a lot of effort and cost if you're not sure the person wants or is ready for a pet.

unless it's for your child, no. "Here, have years worth of responsibility and huge amounts of dept" sound like a terrible idea. I love my dog but I wanted to pick out my dog and the breed, not have someone do it for me. Let's also not forget that a lot of Christmas puppies end up in shelters.

5+ Year Old Account
    Fish are terrible gifts too. They cost considerably more to maintain in a healthy state than the fish itself and should only be recommended if you're getting into the hobby.

It's a research reliant pet. A fish bowl and some gravel just ensures it'll die in a little later than freshly cut flowers. I love my goldfish, they're fat and big but I didn't expect to shell out over 500 on them at the start. They cost me 5 bucks each. Really not worth it unless you like them.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Fish are terrible gifts too. They cost considerably more to maintain in a healthy state than the fish itself and should only be recommended if you're getting into the hobby.
    I'll say this, my niece asked for her fish, and it went alright. Myself and my two brothers each got a fish that age by surprise and they were dead in a week.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'll say this, my niece asked for her fish, and it went alright. Myself and my two brothers each got a fish that age by surprise and they were dead in a week.
    Same here. I was scared to own one, but not anymore !

I just need to figure out plants next.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."