Thread: Feed on build

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    That's not necessarily true. Some games and workloads are CPU heavy, or only work on the CPU.
    WoW, for instance, is heavily CPU bound and doesn't need a very strong GPU
    Neither it needs 12/24 c/t CPU.

I don't understand why people keep doing it, aside from just giggling at that 23% utilization.

1. Low on RAM. 32GB in 2 bones is optimal and future-proof solution. Latency is just marketing noise, so dont worry about it.
    2. Not sure about watercooling in general, I prefer dry solutions. Wish you best luck with it
    3. SSD is really good.
    4. 2 fans on GPU mean a lot of noise and temperature that will overheat everything inside the case. I recently moved from 2 fan GTX 1060 to 3 fan RTX 3070 and omg how much better it is. Even shutting down PC after long gaming session is instant because 3 fans cool GPU within seconds of idle state. And RTX Ti is even more power hungry, hot and noisy. Add few coins for 3 fan setup.
    5. Ryzen 9 and X570. X590 chipsets are designed for R9 series. So you are overpaing for R9 and you might have trouble of seeing its all potential in action. Also, I have no idea how Ryzen processors really perform as there is massive marketing noise around them. So maybe this lower tier MOBO will be fine
    6. As for the PC case, after 2 months of sitting on RTX 3070, I recommend this type of case:
    https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-T6-Cas.../dp/B07R2JBTDR
    Not this particular case, but the ones with fan mount option on the side. If you will have closed case, you will have 60+ degrees Celsius in under 1 minute and it will be the end of boosts, overclocking and silent environment
    So yeah, if you dont have kids or pets, consider open case.
    7. 850Watt PS wont hurt. If its cheap, go for it. I wont make any difference now and in the future as industry stepped down from powerhungry GPU's 10 years ago and they wont go back. None of that RTX 4000's high power usage will happen. Its just marketing noise made by power supply manufacturers.

Question, what display resolution and refresh rate you are aiming for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Neither it needs 12/24 c/t CPU.

I don't understand why people keep doing it, aside from just giggling at that 23% utilization.
    I mean, true. Not saying I'd do it in this case, but some tasks are more CPU bound than GPU, so going for a high-end CPU and mid-tier GPU can make sense.

And honestly, a 5900x still has stronger individual cores than a 5600x for instance, so even if you don't need the extra cores, the individually stronger ones still makes it a better CPU for WoW (if only slightly)

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    If the 3060ti is overkill for your work and play, then so is the cpu. I would make sure you have a gpu on the way or in your possession before buying the rest of the build.

You could cut back on the cpu and get a lower cost x570 board to make up for anything else you're missing on.
    After researching, i have to agree and I have decided on the Intel Core i5-12600K instead of the 12700k. Pretty much identical performance for 200 euro less.
    Unfortunately, with that socket, i'm limited on what I can buy as the store mostly has the DDR5 boards. So i will be forced to go with MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK.
    Which is also an overkill, i would have prefered the MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 that's almost 100 euro less.
    That 12600k seems like a good overclock option too, read several reviews it has no issues going above 5ghz.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Primohastat View Post
    1. Low on RAM. 32GB in 2 bones is optimal and future-proof solution. Latency is just marketing noise, so dont worry about it.
    2. Not sure about watercooling in general, I prefer dry solutions. Wish you best luck with it
    3. SSD is really good.
    4. 2 fans on GPU mean a lot of noise and temperature that will overheat everything inside the case. I recently moved from 2 fan GTX 1060 to 3 fan RTX 3070 and omg how much better it is. Even shutting down PC after long gaming session is instant because 3 fans cool GPU within seconds of idle state. And RTX Ti is even more power hungry, hot and noisy. Add few coins for 3 fan setup.
    5. Ryzen 9 and X570. X590 chipsets are designed for R9 series. So you are overpaing for R9 and you might have trouble of seeing its all potential in action. Also, I have no idea how Ryzen processors really perform as there is massive marketing noise around them. So maybe this lower tier MOBO will be fine
    6. As for the PC case, after 2 months of sitting on RTX 3070, I recommend this type of case:
    https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-T6-Cas.../dp/B07R2JBTDR
    Not this particular case, but the ones with fan mount option on the side. If you will have closed case, you will have 60+ degrees Celsius in under 1 minute and it will be the end of boosts, overclocking and silent environment
    So yeah, if you dont have kids or pets, consider open case.
    7. 850Watt PS wont hurt. If its cheap, go for it. I wont make any difference now and in the future as industry stepped down from powerhungry GPU's 10 years ago and they wont go back. None of that RTX 4000's high power usage will happen. Its just marketing noise made by power supply manufacturers.

Question, what display resolution and refresh rate you are aiming for?
    This is the latest build i'm looking at:
    https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/8YnvLP

It solved most of your comments.
    1. Will go 32, CL16, 3600mhz.
    2. Decided on ditching radiator and going for a noctua.
    3. Got even better SSD now.
    4. That picture was always wrong on partpicker, now its updated to show the one i'm buying, which has 3 fans.
    5. Goin with intel instead.
    6. Decided on this fractal case instead, will replace the 3 stock fans with noctua PWM for front/rear and also one extra noctua fan on top. It also has 9 total fan spots. Doubt heat will be an issue
    7. No kids or pets anyhow.
    8. It's 30 euro difference so ill go with the 850.

I will also buy a 34 ultrawide samsung 4k monitor.
    Plan is gaming on 1440p for the most part. Not really considered refresh rate.
    But please check the updated list

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    to your first point:
    Ok. Yeh, sure, you CAN buy DDR5 but it would cost literally over HALF of my current budget. It's even more expensive than the gfx card...
    While i don't actually disagree on your point in a vacuum, saying DDR4 is end of life is bit disingenuous, even without the chip shortage it would be a good 3+ years before it was defacto standard. Now? Wouldn't surprise me if its 5 years time frame before its even spoken about as obsolete.

Exist and having a market share isn't really the same, wasn't until what, athlon 64 they actually made some noise at all? And that was into the 2000's i'm sure without even googling. So under 20 years. And only a real competitor for 10 total years if im generous.
    Which took intel what, 5 years last time to squash to the point amd was forgotten about?
    Intel got lazy but you're already seeing them catching up and price matching. If it wasn't for chip shortage, intel would repeat history and make amd virtually non existent outside budget PC's. And this is ignoring their horrendous track record with drivers in general and overheating issues.

Not sure if i'm a fanboi or just have had so much issues with amd in the past I don't deem it worth it. I really wanted to hop on the amd hype train again, as i've in the past... only to be disappointed. Could it be different now? Absolutely but not really wanting to gamble with this much money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. Yeh, sure, you CAN buy DDR5 but it would cost literally over HALF of my current budget. It's even more expensive than the gfx card...
    While i don't actually disagree on your point in a vacuum, saying DDR4 is end of life is bit disingenuous, even without the chip shortage it would be a good 3+ years before it was defacto standard. Now? Wouldn't surprise me if its 5 years time frame before its even spoken about as obsolete.

Exist and having a market share isn't really the same, wasn't until what, athlon 64 they actually made some noise at all? And that was into the 2000's i'm sure without even googling. So under 20 years. And only a real competitor for 10 total years if im generous.
    Which took intel what, 5 years last time to squash to the point amd was forgotten about?
    Intel got lazy but you're already seeing them catching up and price matching. If it wasn't for chip shortage, intel would repeat history and make amd virtually non existent outside budget PC's. And this is ignoring their horrendous track record with drivers in general and overheating issues.

Not sure if i'm a fanboi or just have had so much issues with amd in the past I don't deem it worth it. I really wanted to hop on the amd hype train again, as i've in the past... only to be disappointed. Could it be different now? Absolutely but not really wanting to gamble with this much money.
    i don't think you understand what 'end of life' means, it doesn't mean that people will stop making it, it means that the companies who manufacture memory modules have ceased R&D as well as production of any major NEW products on the DDR4 platform, and all focus is now on making the new DDR5 modules and investing in developing this new platform instead.

AMD launched the original Athlon in 1999, it was at that time the fastest CPU in the world being the first time to break the 1 GHz threshold, all through the 90's and early 2000's AMD were dominant in the market for both budget CPU's and a good high end offering for those with the funds and needs to make use of the extra performance, that market lead grew with the release of further Athlon generations (Athlon II, Athlon 64, Athlon x2 etc), it was this market dominance in the early-mid 2000's that caused INTEL to really push hard with innovation and trying to surpass AMD in both market share and overall technology performance, and with INTEL having their own fabs they were able to keep pushing ahead whereas AMD was reliant on third party chip makers to keep them going after they sold their own fab to generate funds for further projects, AMD hit back at INTEL towards the end of the 2000's and into the early 2010's with the new Phaenom processor family which completely destroyed anything INTEL had at the time, and was the launching pad AMD used for the FX series of CPUs. which unfortunately for them were a total disaster, but again it was this market dominance from AMD that forced INTEL to once again try and push back and innovate, which they did, it's what birthed the 'core inside' line of CPUs, and due to that, AMD tried to compete but realistically couldn't and had to take several years before they were able to put out a product that would rival anything INTEL had at the time, RYZEN was that product and over time it has destroyed everything INTEL has put out, to the point where current day INTEL is basically just a mirror for the FX era AMD, how have INTEL managed to get more performance out of their chips?, they have pushed the power consumption and clock speed as fast and as hard as it will go, they are quite literally knocking on the door of what the silicone is maximally capable of, that's not innovation, it's desperation, and sure in the short term it might work right now, they can't keep it up as a long term strategy, especially with the crackdown in some countries/territories regarding power consumption of electronics, again i urge you to watch the Gamers Nexus review of the 12900k to see what i'm talking about here.

for productivity AMD is better (especially on compile/decompile workloads), for gaming there's functionally not difference between AMD and INTEL, for overall performance to price ratio AMD is the better option, you stating you don't want anything to do with AMD products shows you're either a fanboi for INTEL or you're ignorant of the market shift over the past 3-4 years and have ignored the VAST changes AMD has brought to the table and made INTEL look like a clown of a company, with the '11th gen' release from INTEL being called a 'waste of sand' and not an actual generational improvement, in fact for the '900k' sku it was a regression because INTEL are using such old architecture and technology at this point, they had to cut cores out of their flagship CPU and it lost performance compared to the 10th gen version and was a laughing stock for a while after that.

i have given 2 recommendations, you decide what's best for you, but please for the love of god, stop being brand loyal to a company that has proven time and time again that it doesn't care about its consumers (INTEL), AMD aren't better, they have done similar stupid things over the years, but at least right now, they are the market leader for almost every market their products are used in, don't just pick something because of bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    So given the trend that GPUs get more power hungry every generation and PSUs hold for 10+ years I would totally buy an overkill PSU right now. Costs you like 20 bucks more and gives you even more power efficiancy and headroom for newer parts.

A 5900X with 16GB of RAM and that GPU is weird. Either you need the high end CPU for productivity but then you would probably need at least 32GB RAM or you are just gaming which makes this CPU choice weird but the RAM choice alright.

For Productivity buy more RAM and try to get CL16 RAM.

For gaming get a Ryzen 5 3600, 5600X or an I5 10600K or 12600K and invest the saved money in a better GPU. To be honest pretty much every CPU from the last 3-4 years is fine for gaming. Most games are GPU bottlenecked anyway.

Also the mainboard is rather overkill. Only buy an expensive mainboard if you really need some of the pricey features like BIOS flashback or something.
    hmm. i could not for even 1% agree to your first statement.

all my last 4 BeQuiet (550W, 650W, 750W and 850W) and my one and only Corsair 650W, in my 3-4 different PCs (Office, Home, Gaming, Childs), all died after 3-4 years. Not one of them got over the 5th year. Mostly (3/5) cause of the Condensators. and they were all maxed out for rather small CPUs. maybe i just had bad luck or my inhouse currency cables have strong peeks or something like that. dont know. but i simply saw no PSU living after the 4th year, without being damaged. Regardless if it was the best-to-buy highest, gold standard, BeQuiet PSU. as said, maybe i had really bad luck with PSUs.

Also imo (and in the opinion of many ppl in that business) its not a good descision to horible overpower the PSU. the motto here is „as much as needed and a bit more, but not too much“. to be fair: i dont know what’s recommended for that CPU. if 800 is recommended, 850 is fine. if 550-650 is recommended, 850 is overkill and not great. and no, its not correct that „just more, even when unused, doesnt matter“. for more on this see the interwebz.

i would use some PSU calculator web sites and look what they advice for this CPU. and maybe add 50W on top of it. also i bet 100 bugs, that the chance is 50/50 that you change the mainboard in 3-5 years first, or the PSU, cause the PSU is invalid. at least this is my experience with ppl having unchanged PCs for 4-7 years. these long running PC ppls not often upgrade anything and stick with what they have 5-6 years+. i know many of them. and many had to replace the PSU before they bought a new system, in form of a new MB+CPU+RAM. but thats just my exp around me.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not necessarily true. Some games and workloads are CPU heavy, or only work on the CPU.
    WoW, for instance, is heavily CPU bound and doesn't need a very strong GPU
    yeah. this is totally correct. you need to know what you do.

i am sw developer. i compile code. i can use some 1050ti for all my video, media, gaming whatever, cause i just play wow and do some simple video ffmpeg stuff etc. but when i compile a 34 projects Visual Studio solution, i need CPU power. a lot of it.

it totally depends on what you doing and if you need higher single core CPU power, parallelaziation CPU power, GPU power for GFX stuff, or if you doing virtual machine stuff etc. it all depends on what you doing with the machine.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-12-14 at 09:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post

all my last 4 BeQuiet (550W, 650W, 750W and 850W) and my one and only Corsair 650W, in my 3-4 different PCs (Office, Home, Gaming, Childs), all died after 3-4 years. Not one of them got over the 5th year. Mostly (3/5) cause of the Condensators. and they were all maxed out for rather small CPUs. maybe i just had bad luck or my inhouse currency cables have strong peeks or something like that. dont know. but i simply saw no PSU living after the 4th year, without being damaged. Regardless if it was the best-to-buy highest, gold standard, BeQuiet PSU. as said, maybe i had really bad luck with PSUs.

Also imo (and in the opinion of many ppl in that business) its not a good descision to horible overpower the PSU. the motto here is „as much as needed and a bit more, but not too much“. to be fair: i dont know what’s recommended for that CPU. if 800 is recommended, 850 is fine. if 550-650 is recommended, 850 is overkill and not great. and no, its not correct that „just more, even when unused, doesnt matter“. for more on this see the interwebz.

i would use some PSU calculator web sites and look what they advice for this CPU. and maybe add 50W on top of it. also i bet 100 bugs, that the chance is 50/50 that you change the mainboard in 3-5 years first, or the PSU, cause the PSU is invalid. at least this is my experience with ppl having unchanged PCs for 4-7 years. these long running PC ppls not often upgrade anything and stick with what they have 5-6 years+. i know many of them. and many had to replace the PSU before they bought a new system, in form of a new MB+CPU+RAM. but thats just my exp around me.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah. this is totally correct. you need to know what you do.

i am sw developer. i compile code. i can use some 1050ti for all my video, media, gaming whatever, cause i just play wow and do some simple video ffmpeg stuff etc. but when i compile a 34 projects Visual Studio solution, i need CPU power. a lot of it.

it totally depends on what you doing and if you need higher single core CPU power, parallelaziation CPU power, GPU power for GFX stuff, or if you doing virtual machine stuff etc. it all depends on what you doing with the machine.
    i don't know where you live, but if you have seen a consistent trend of PSU's failing after such a short period of time (assuming an 'average' amount of use), then i would say it's an issue with the electricity in your home, how your home is wired, and potentially worse, i have a tower unit with a coolermaster PSU from 9 years ago that still works as well as the day it was bought, my latest build has a corsair PSU which i did plenty of research on ahead of time and saw plenty of testimony about performance long term, which is what influenced my decision to buy it.

with regards to the whole 'how many watts do i need' the OP has stated he wants to go with a 12600k CPU, that part alone will use around 150-160 watts of power, the GPU around the same, not to mention all the other components needed, and as i mentioned in a previous comment, their have been 'reputable' leaks that the next gen of nvidia cards will draw almost double on average the power that the current 30 series cards do across the stack, meaning that even a 'low tier' card like the '60' cards could be drawing anything from 300-350 watts, meaning that having plenty of power headroom will be essential moving forwards, whereas in the past the old adage was definitely a thing, nowadays it's not really something that fits too well anymore.

10+ Year Old Account

all my last 4 BeQuiet (550W, 650W, 750W and 850W) and my one and only Corsair 650W, in my 3-4 different PCs (Office, Home, Gaming, Childs), all died after 3-4 years. Not one of them got over the 5th year.
    Sounds like there's something fucky going on with the power in your house. The only PSU I've had die on me was because the power plug I used was like 40 years old and some of the internal wires in it were barely making contact, meaning the power going into my PSU was super rough, and a bad spike blew it up.

Sounds like there's something fucky going on with the power in your house. The only PSU I've had die on me was because the power plug I used was like 40 years old and some of the internal wires in it were barely making contact, meaning the power going into my PSU was super rough, and a bad spike blew it up.
    yeah, as i said, maybe i just had bad luck or something is wrong with the power. but i know 3-4 other ppls, also needed to change PSUs after around 5 years (mostly cause of warn and invalid Elkos - Electrolythic Capacitors, the typical reason for the death of a PSU). maybe just bad luck, since i live in a normal house in a normal town in central europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never had PSU blow up on me, but I always buy top of the line ones from Seasonic or where they are the actual manufacturer.

I always outgrew them, that's why I pretty strongly believe now one should buy PSU quite a tad higher than whatever you think you calculated there. Especially nowadays where key components dynamically boost right and left and their TDP is more of a bunch of wishes rather than actual reality.

That's why soon 1kw PSU will be a standard for a good gaming rig in 2022 - power requirements are rising and whatever process improvements done are countered by simply stacking more transistors, because R/G/B teams desperately try to be the biggest fish in the pond performance-wise in respective areas.

Besides, PSUs degrade overtime, so there's that too.

Most PSUs nowadays have a really long warranty, like 8-10 years. And I use the same Corsair CX600M for about 7 years now. Sounds like you had some really bad luck or you bought bad PSUs. Every manufacturer has good ones and bad ones. The Corsair RMx series and the "be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11" series are supposed to be pretty good.

I have never heard anyone say that. Pretty much everyone recommends the same. Get the highest amount of wattage possible. You get a lot of headroom but also the more headroom you have the better the efficiency is and you save money in the long run. I personally would not be confortable with only 50 watts headroom. Especially not with high end parts like the 5900X.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Pretty much everyone recommends the same. Get the highest amount of wattage possible.
    That's not what people recommend at all..
    The recommendation is find out how much power your stuff draws and get ~50% extra, rounded up to nearest 50-100W

Because "highest amount" is a 2000W PSU. That's just retarded. Even the more "mundane" ones are like 15-1600W, and that's still way, WAY more than anyone needs

10+ Year Old Account
    The recommendation is find out how much power your stuff draws and get ~50% extra, rounded up to nearest 50-100W
    That is long outdated, because as of late you simply can't "find out how much power your stuff draws", due to the boost bullshittry everyone and their mothers do.

It's especially severe with higher end Nvidia GPUs where they have this issue where going from 0 to 100 they burst their VRMs to pump crazy juice for the moment and if your PSU is not up to snuff, it will just shut down.

Precisely what happened with my 3 years old Seasonic Titanium Platinum 750W and 3080Ti purchase. So despite my system being well in your advised X+50%, it ended up shutting down at that split second specific scenario - because for that moment the PSU safety triggered almost religiously. That's why I had to upgrade to 1kw to resolve it and rewiring everything sucked, even besides tossing 200 bucks out.

Could have been prevented if I'd just get 1kw PSU from the get go, but I too was in mindset of "bruh 750w is all I ever need".

---

Besides... difference between 850w PSU and 1kw PSU is what 20-30 bucks? I mean... c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i have given 2 recommendations, you decide what's best for you, but please for the love of god, stop being brand loyal to a company that has proven time and time again that it doesn't care about its consumers (INTEL), AMD aren't better, they have done similar stupid things over the years, but at least right now, they are the market leader for almost every market their products are used in, don't just pick something because of bias.
    Interesting read, i'll take you word for it but I just remember it differently growing up. My first Amd was an athlon 64 and when i really took a few minutes to think about it. My issue has never really been with amd CPU, its always been their shitty gfx cards with useless drivers. Those experiences along with the back and forth growing up just cemented it as amd being shit.
    Nah, i still don't think i'm a fanboi, if anything, i'm getting old and really dont care as much as I did before, which is the reason I made this thread to begin with.
    Because I knew I had to get more input and its far easier to have discussions like this rather than blindly going on reviews or recommendations.

Maybe i have to reconsider again, i do have struggles to find a good board for the intel cpu anyhow. fml lol

- - - Updated - - -

Besides... difference between 850w PSU and 1kw PSU is what 20-30 bucks? I mean... c'mon.
    Well, first I was going with 750, then decided on 850, so thats 35 euro difference and then add another and it all adds up.
    Anyhow... I can't really find any seasonic above 850, at least no in the store I'm buying everything else from.

I'm not gonna assemble and build it myself, gonna for once let the store do it professionally and for that to work, all parts need to be new and bought from them.
    Besides, the fee is only 59 euro, that alone is worth just for proper cable management lol...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Well, first I was going with 750, then decided on 850, so thats 35 euro difference and then add another and it all adds up.
    Anyhow... I can't really find any seasonic above 850, at least no in the store I'm buying everything else from.

I'm not gonna assemble and build it myself, gonna for once let the store do it professionally and for that to work, all parts need to be new and bought from them.
    Besides, the fee is only 59 euro, that alone is worth just for proper cable management lol...
    You can then go for Corsair higher end ones, they are built by Seasonic.

It's down to answering the following questions.

- Will you be OCing your CPU/GPU?
    - Are you going to upgrade GPU in the future in this system.

If both are YES, then 100% get 1kw PSU. You really don't want to end up having to replace PSU 3 years down the road just because you fancied that RTX4080 and found out your system occasionally shuts off when stressed. .

Which was my case with 3080Ti pretty much.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is long outdated, because as of late you simply can't "find out how much power your stuff draws", due to the boost bullshittry everyone and their mothers do.

It's especially severe with higher end Nvidia GPUs where they have this issue where going from 0 to 100 they burst their VRMs to pump crazy juice for the moment and if your PSU is not up to snuff, it will just shut down.

Precisely what happened with my 3 years old Seasonic Titanium Platinum 750W and 3080Ti purchase. So despite my system being well in your advised X+50%, it ended up shutting down at that split second specific scenario - because for that moment the PSU safety triggered almost religiously. That's why I had to upgrade to 1kw to resolve it and rewiring everything sucked, even besides tossing 200 bucks out.

Could have been prevented if I'd just get 1kw PSU from the get go, but I too was in mindset of "bruh 750w is all I ever need".

---

I mean it only really changes with the 3080 and 3090 because of how insane the spike power draw is on them. If you're lower than that, then it's still fine.
    On lower end stuff, yeah it'll spike, but it won't overwhelm any decent PSU unless you're running on the borderline of stability already, which you won't be with a 50% buffer

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean it only really changes with the 3080 and 3090 because of how insane the spike power draw is on them. If you're lower than that, then it's still fine.
    On lower end stuff, yeah it'll spike, but it won't overwhelm any decent PSU unless you're running on the borderline of stability already, which you won't be with a 50% buffer
    You need to realize that with newer gens it will only get worse.

It's not some coincidence Nvidia introduces new power input for GPUs and the leaks we have so far all indicate that next gen is going to be even crazier on that front.

Furthermore as per custom, what is high end today, will be high mid-range next gen. So you can expect this 3080+ situation to become 4060+ situation.

That's why the last thing you want to skimp on in a system kept long term and especially overclocked is PSU.

Especially because the price difference is low. Yes as OP said, it accumulates, but it's really a risk management.

Do you want to end up with possibility of rewiring and rebuying PSU down the road just for saving 30 bucks or so now? Ehh...

10+ Year Old Account
    You need to realize that with newer gens it will only get worse.

It's not some coincidence Nvidia introduces new power input for GPUs and the leaks we have so far all indicate that next gen is going to be even crazier on that front.

Furthermore as per custom, what is high end today, will be high mid-range next gen. So you can expect this 3080+ situation to become 4060+ situation.

That's why the last thing you want to skimp on in a system kept long term and especially overclocked is PSU.

Especially because the price difference is low. Yes as OP said, it accumulates, but it's really a risk management.

Do you want to end up with possibility of rewiring and rebuying PSU down the road just for saving 30 bucks or so now? Ehh...
    Considering how easy it is to sell a PSU .. I'm fine with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering how easy it is to sell a PSU .. I'm fine with it.
    You might be fine, but you're not OP.

It's up to OP to decide.

You can then go for Corsair higher end ones, they are built by Seasonic.

It's down to answering the following questions.

- Will you be OCing your CPU/GPU?
    - Are you going to upgrade GPU in the future in this system.

If both are YES, then 100% get 1kw PSU. You really don't want to end up having to replace PSU 3 years down the road just because you fancied that RTX4080 and found out your system occasionally shuts off when stressed. .

Which was my case with 3080Ti pretty much.
    I had a corsair psu first but people told me they are not good and i should get seasonic instead so bit confused if both are made by the same ones lol.
    Will probably lightly OC CPU at least, hadn't really considered GPU tbh.
    Of course, will most likely buy a high end nvidia 4 series in a 2-3 years from now.

But also, now, i have to buy exactly every component, i can't really not buy one.
    When i upgrade it will just be 1-2 parts and much easier. So even if I would say, have to spend 1500 euro on a gfx card, adding 200 for a new PSU isn't that much of a struggle. Would be way worse having to rewire stuff lol...